Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

14 hours ago, Handcruser said:

The issue with firing a coach after two years right after firing a coach that got 3 years is the precedent it sets when trying to find the next coach. What coach will want to put their reputation on the line knowing you only have 2 years to get a program righted that has been down for a decade? The university has to show faith in the coach, which requires 3 years. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Agreed. 3 years is the minimum unless there's improprieties going on in the program. Then we're on the hook for the last 2 years of his contact since he got a 5 year deal. Then it's on to the next former coordinator who had decent success at a mid-major. The thoughts of CDC getting Patterson are laughable. TCU is perfect for him. He'll retire there.  

Edited by mdmost

I think CDC has room to make a move after this season if things truly go south. He's a new AD. It will be easy to tell the next hire that he is Del Conte's guy and will be given time to turn it around. Del Conte can talk about lack of trust with Herman over the OSU stuff as well. A problem could arise if the next guy is gone after 2-3 years or if he tries to fire Herman with cause to avoid paying out the full contract amount. But I don't think we will struggle with the next hire unless we go big game hunting but don't want to go full aggy on the terms.

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I don't think Herman can survive a 4-8 season. 5-7 and he'll prob get a 3rd year

I think his “get out of jail free” is changing coordinator(s) but if he needs to forcibly do that at the end of his second year just to buy himself a third year, the eventual firing is obviously inevitable. 

• Like 1

On September 4, 2018 at 8:39 AM, Wally Pryor said:

If what happens at our school changes the world, surely we can just figure out, somehow, to change our uniforms and get them right.  It can't be that hard.

Those things we were wearing Saturday were and are crap.

Surely we can get a little closer to this:

DmLMCTXVsAE8I0P.jpg

It ain't really the uniforms, it's who is in them.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:30 PM, Big_kat said:

The issue with firing a coach after two years right after firing a coach that got 3 years is the precedent it sets when trying to find the next coach. What coach will want to put their reputation on the line knowing you only have 2 years to get a program righted that has been down for a decade? The university has to show faith in the coach, which requires 3 years. 

Now all of this goes out the window if the team shits the bed and starts off 1-5 and ends up 4-8.

Especially when the school 100 miles to the east has a "10 year promise" to the current coach...

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

People bitching left and right about the getting into the stadium and other gameday issues, but he's responding to those tweets. 

Haven't seen him respond to any negative thing about the team just yet....

The Key word yet, let some of the complaining continue, and Del Conte might pull a line out of #Taken... I think CDC will get things in order for UT..!

On 9/9/2018 at 7:58 PM, Pancho Negro said:

People bitching left and right about the getting into the stadium and other gameday issues, but he's responding to those tweets. 

Haven't seen him respond to any negative thing about the team just yet....

About getting in? There were no issues getting in. The closer you wait to game time the busier the lines are if that’s what the complaints are about.

Factors that would put his job in jeapordy this year probably have a lot less to do with final W-L and more to do with CDC's evaluation of what led to our record, Herman's self evaluation and course correction plan, and CDC's confidence in Herman to execute that plan and get results. 

4-8 with all losses highly contested, a team that's clearly playing hard and motivated, trending up at the end of the year, good recruiting, and candidates lined up to replace the underperforming members of the staff should be viewed differently than 4-8 with a lost locker room, key players transferring, recruiting tanking, no acknowledgment of underperforming staff or plans to make changes, and coaches like Orlando looking around at other opportunities. 

I hope anyone saying Herman gets another year no matter what are wrong, just as I hope those saying he should be gone with a given record no matter how are wrong. CDC needs to do an evaluation of the program throughout the year and at years end make a decision if he believes we'll be better going forward with Herman or another coach who we have conviction we could get to Austin, and act accordingly.  That's his job and if he doesn't at least do that exercise in a year like this he's not doing it well.  I believe he will. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Face palm 

They already did this "karaoke" sans lyrics the other night as a holdover from last year with Sweet Caroline.  

Fortunately it happened late in the game so the crowd was fairly uninspired.  Did get a kick out of one guy who the camera focused on who was clearly mouthing the words, "I don't know the words to this song" during the verse.

I hope that's the last time we see it.

Edited by LonghornSean

9 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

They already did this "karaoke" sans lyrics the other night as a holdover from last year with Sweet Caroline.  

Fortunately it happened late in the game so the crowd was fairly uninspired.  Did get a kick out of one guy who the camera focused on who was clearly mouthing the words, "I don't know the words to this song" during the verse.

Agreed, but if they're going to do this shit, let's at least flex our nuts a bit and have somebody write a rap song (not the Goddamn student who keeps doing this shit) for this purpose. The recycled rock shit is terrible for sporting events. How about Trae the Truth and Bun B updating "I'm from Texas" away from just Houston toward Texas football? Just pay them to update a couple of verses every year to include current players and sell it on iTunes. You'd be able to use it to recruit for damn sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

I can't be the only one that wants to punch Neil Diamond in the throat when I hear that shit

On 9/3/2018 at 9:19 PM, Born Burnt said:

CDC finally fired up the Twitter this evening, answering questions about a track & field indoor facility, grass football field and burnt orange jerseys. But he's ignored all the ones about the football team's performance. That's obviously the right thing to do. But there's no doubt he's gotten the message. What he does with it...well, I guess we'll see.

I'm curious how any TCU folk think he'll handle our coach.

I don't believe he has ever hired a football coach, so it is hard to say.   Baseball and football were well established when he got to Fort Worth, and the Jamie Dixon hire was a no brainer.  He always struck me more as a used car salesman than a corporate officer.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, TCU Alum said:

I don't believe he has ever hired a football coach, so it is hard to say.   Baseball and football were well established when he got to Fort Worth, and the Jamie Dixon hire was a no brainer.  He always struck me more as a used car salesman than a corporate officer.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

Troll level expert.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Troll level expert.

Well actually, I was invited to comment by Born Burnt.  I can tell you that I never liked him while he was here.  Unless you are a big time donor, CDC doesn't give a shit about you or your opinion.  God forbid that you ever have a "re-seating" at DKR Memorial...you'll see how much he cares about alums and season ticket holders.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

19 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Thanks! That's good to hear. Because, as you can probably tell, all of us on Surly are big swinging dicks.

22 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Thanks! That's good to hear. Because, as you can probably tell, all of us on Surly are big swinging dicks.

1%ers but 10%ers for tax purposes

2 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

Welp, if he can take this chevy SSR with the tacky grill off our hands and put us into a GT3 with low miles that can really get up and go, I'll for one be happy.  

The SSR may have seemed novel and a good idea to someone at the time, but as has been quoted "some say the SSR really stands out on the highway, but so does a car fire."  

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Welp, if he can take this chevy SSR with the tacky grill off our hands and put us into a GT3 with low miles that can really get up and go, I'll for one be happy.  

The SSR may have seemed novel and a good idea to someone at the time, but as has been quoted "some say the SSR really stands out on the highway, but so does a car fire."  

Well, Herman has a lot to prove to the multitude of fans representing the burnt orange, and must do much better, but Tom is far better than this asshole:

16 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

Well actually, I was invited to comment by Born Burnt.  I can tell you that I never liked him while he was here.  Unless you are a big time donor, CDC doesn't give a shit about you or your opinion.  God forbid that you ever have a "re-seating" at DKR Memorial...you'll see how much he cares about alums and season ticket holders.

Hmmm... doesn't sync with what I see from him on Twitter.  He's constantly responding to people with suggestions for improvement or criticism.  If I'm not mistaken he already initiated a re-seating effort and managed to assuage those being negatively affected.  Dude is remarkably available and appears to be very motivated on behalf of the average fan, not to mention seemingly very transparent.  I like what I see so far.  I suspect at the end of the season he's going to force THs hand on some of his assistant coaches as well, which I'll like even more.  So far, homerun hire in my book.

17 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

That does not resemble what we have seen from him in Austin.  Not even a little bit.

20 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

Guess what.. all of  ur exes swallow & do anal now, because they finally landed the guy they always wanted & put out for him.