Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

21 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

I don't believe he has ever hired a football coach, so it is hard to say.   Baseball and football were well established when he got to Fort Worth, and the Jamie Dixon hire was a no brainer.  He always struck me more as a used car salesman than a corporate officer.  It will be interesting to see what he does.

Lol.  You sound bitter.  Jamie Dixon was a no brainer.  No shit.  So is Bill Belichick to Texas.  Good luck landing that.  

TCU is a wasteland of college hoops and he brought in a top tenish coach.  

• Like 2

My first metric of how CDC is managing the program will be when the Dept of Education financials are made public, to see that head count inside Bellmont has been trimmed and excess spending is starting to be brought under control. (The fiscal year ended Aug 31. Reports are to be submitted by Oct 15, and will show up in the database soon thereafter. The database can be accessed here https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/ )

What I initially want to see from CDC is that he is bringing accountability to Bellmont. Every individual needs to understand their collective mission is to provide the best opportunity possible for the athletes brought into every UT athletics program to excel in the classroom and in competition. Recently, there seems to have been a much bigger focus on senior administrators building individual fiefdoms dedicated on perpetuating the internal authority and personal financial position of respective senior administrators. This produced replication of positions, bloated the budget, and created an overall sense of entitlement that seems to have negatively affected the student-athletes, who unquestionably take their organizational cues from the overall ethics inside Bellmont.

One glaring weakness of Patterson was he wasn't strong enough of a leader to attack the internecine battles among senior administrators who allowed their petty jealousies and personal rivalries to become more of a priority than serving the interests of the student athletes, and allowing the staff to excel in their areas of expertise. Instead, he chose to cut expenses by nickle and diming at the transactional level where Bellmont and the program supporters meet.

No successful program in any endeavor is going to generate success by only demanding focus and accountability at its lowest levels. When people see hypocrisy, they do not deliver their best so that others can continue to pursue individual enrichment at the expense of the organization.

Engaging alumni, planning facilities. and managing media resources, are other metrics I will look at later, but I want to see if CDC is capable of attacking the internecine rivalries, reducing financial excesses, and restore both focus and accountability throughout the entirety of UT athletics staff. If he can begin the process of changing that glaring weakness, I think the deep-seated problems within Texas athletics will diminish, and we will see an overall better product and better outcomes on and off the field for UT athletes in every sport.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

What I initially want to see from CDC is that he is bringing accountability to Bellmont. Every individual needs to understand their collective mission is to provide the best opportunity possible for the athletes brought into every UT athletics program to excel in the classroom and in competition. Recently, there seems to have been a much bigger focus on senior administrators building individual fiefdoms dedicated on perpetuating the internal authority and personal financial position of respective senior administrators. This produced replication of positions, bloated the budget, and created an overall sense of entitlement that seems to have negatively affected the student-athletes, who unquestionably take their organizational cues from the overall ethics inside Bellmont.

*coughcoughPlonskycoughcough*

41 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

*coughcoughPlonskycoughcough*

Yep. It starts there, but goes much deeper.

Our old friend Nick was also a good example of the problems inside Bellmont. Nick spent so much time in the political world that his instincts were to promote the partisan interests of his benefactor, and not to help his benefactor forgo internecine political instincts in favor maintaining a single focus on the mission of the organization.

I have no problem with Plonsky being a strong advocate for women's athletics. But she had a tendency to prioritize establishing the authority of her position over the overall mission to prioritize the interests of the student athletes. Even worse, she seemed to encourage others to do the same.

I think a number of student athletes understood the ethos of Bellmont was that too many people involved with Texas athletics showed up to promote their own interests. And some of the athletes adopted that as the expected the culture of UT athletics.

And that is where many of the issues grew from.

And, to clarify, I'm not trying to insinuate Plonsky was corrupt. I think she saw her role as a opportunity to be a strong advocate for women's collegiate athletics and she realized instituting change in women's collegiate and in the application of Title IX was going to require acting in a way that sometimes offended others.

What I think she didn't do is examine her actions and ensure what she was doing was in the best long-term interests of UT athletics. Wanting to change the world is a laudable goal, bit not at the expense of those to whom you owe a duty to on a smaller stage. Placing the interests of the UT student-athletes second to her ambitions of wanting to effect change in all of college sports was costing the student-athletes she owed a duty to. And she didn't seem to understand that.

She needed to either serve the student-athletes at UT, or decide to try to effect change in women's athletics via some other opportunity. because she could not serve both interests in her position at UT Austin.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dad said:

I have trouble seeing how the politics translate to teenage kids winning or losing football games. Ultimately winning comes down to the coaches and players and I don’t see how that is affected by the levels above them.

In any organization, when senior administrators share different objectives than subordinates, even entry level employees quickly begin to understand decisions undertaken are more connected to managerial pissing matches than promoting the interests of the organization. When the big guys are clearly in it for their own objectives and have quit caring about the rank and file, the rank and file respond. If the ethos of the organization is , "screw the organization, I'm in this for my own personal agenda," you can't really be surprised when the rank and file say "screw the team, I'm in this for my own personal agenda."

18-22 yr olds can be impressionable when around adults in positions of authority. Imagine the attitudes of the players when their position coaches were told they have to start paying for their own meals so that senior administrators could buy more $500 throw pillows, just to piss off the person in the next office by showing their office was more opulent, and therefore they were in a higher position of authority in the organization.

Edited by Randolph Duke

I agree in the corporate world but I don’t think that translates to a football team because coaches and players would need to try their best in order to succeed whereas in the corporate world you can cruise control and not necessarily get fired as it’s easy to blend in. Players are looking to win and possible go pro. Coaches are looking to win and create a legacy and maintain a job. If the people above them are making stupid selfish decisions I think they blow it off and do what they know they need to do to succeed. Maybe it affects he auxiliary shit like buildings being old so recruits don’t like it or shit like that. Anyway that’s just my opinion not fact.

4 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

My first metric of how CDC is managing the program will be when the Dept of Education financials are made public, to see that head count inside Bellmont has been trimmed and excess spending is starting to be brought under control. (The fiscal year ended Aug 31. Reports are to be submitted by Oct 15, and will show up in the database soon thereafter. The database can be accessed here https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/ )

One glaring weakness of Patterson was he wasn't strong enough of a leader to attack the internecine battles among senior administrators who allowed their petty jealousies and personal rivalries to become more of a priority than serving the interests of the student athletes, and allowing the staff to excel in their areas of expertise. Instead, he chose to cut expenses by nickle and diming at the transactional level where Bellmont and the program supporters meet.

No successful program in any endeavor is going to generate success by only demanding focus and accountability at its lowest levels. When people see hypocrisy, they do not deliver their best so that others can continue to pursue individual enrichment at the expense of the organization.

Engaging alumni, planning facilities. and managing media resources, are other metrics I will look at later, but I want to see if CDC is capable of attacking the internecine rivalries, reducing financial excesses, and restore both focus and accountability throughout the entirety of UT athletics staff. If he can begin the process of changing that glaring weakness, I think the deep-seated problems within Texas athletics will diminish, and we will see an overall better product and better outcomes on and off the field for UT athletes in every sport.

Expect a 10% downward trend in expenses, with announcements around another 5% target beyond personnel, and multiple roles permanently vacated by people heading into the private sector or elsewhere in academia. That's projected but as of today.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Expect a 10% downward trend in expenses, with announcements around another 5% target beyond personnel, and multiple roles permanently vacated by people heading into the private sector or elsewhere in academia. That's projected but as of today.

He will show his style. He needs to have time to do what he does, and to let his decisions to have their effect on the staff.

I hope you are right. If he is going to ask us to support him, he needs to show he understands the frustrations of the people who have been writing checks just to seemingly pay for throw pillows.

So far, I have confidence in CDC. He is asking for a lot. We are allowed to hold him accountable and ask him to show how our contributions make a difference.

I was supportive of him from the start, and I think he has earned some leeway to exercise some judgement in what issues he wants to address and how he wants to address them. 

I made it clear a few years ago that my donations would be going to the academic side. CDC is starting to get me to think about giving more to athletics. I want my donations to go to meaningful initiatives,  and not to a throw pillow fight inside Bellmont deciding who has power over whom.

• Like 1

Fucking Plonsky. Was in a suite for the Cal game. Toilet malfunctioned, so you had to go to the restroom out in the hallway. Right before we began our failed comeback, I walk out of the suite to take a piss, and there she is heading for the elevators to leave, and hear her comment to her associate something along the lines of " At least we can leave early." 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

Fucking Plonsky. Was in a suite for the Cal game. Toilet malfunctioned, so you had to go to the restroom out in the hallway. Right before we began our failed comeback, I walk out of the suite to take a piss, and there she is heading for the elevators to leave, and hear her comment to her associate something along the lines of "want to scissor?." 

fify

• Like 3

im waiting for the day CDC snaps on one of these twitter idiots demanding stupid shit. i dont know how he has the patience to deal with some of these requests.

“Hey CDC, I was wondering about that parking spot at San Jac and 15th-“

“Fucking shit just take it! Jesus.”

“Oh ok well I was just wondering because last week...”

“Fucking shit. Take all of them. You now have all the parking spots. Jesus fuck.”

• Like 5

On 9/14/2018 at 11:37 AM, dad said:

I have trouble seeing how the politics translate to teenage kids winning or losing football games. Ultimately winning comes down to the coaches and players and I don’t see how that is affected by the levels above them.

Not teenaged kids but: see Dallas cowboys/Jerry Jones

Edited by SlingeroGuitaro

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

At the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe, just north of Mexico City, there is a conveyer belt that moves in past the statue of The Virgin, so that you can't stop and stare, because there are people on the conveyer belt behind you.

I'm not going to tweet that to CDC, but it would solve the problem.

44 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

At the Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe, just north of Mexico City, there is a conveyer belt that moves in past the statue of The Virgin, so that you can't stop and stare, because there are people on the conveyer belt behind you.

I'm not going to tweet that to CDC, but it would solve the problem.

Ditto for the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London. A moving conveyor keeps people moving right along.

Bring back Dr. Carnochan. He respected the hell out of what DiNino had built. This new director has been ruining everything. That god damn wolf of wall street makes my ears bleed. Also way too many fanfares after plays. Do they even do Wabash after the 3rd? The Eyes sounds like a damn musical number now. It's suppose to be slow and menacing. As in "we just kicked the shit out of you.. we are superior and you are not..  now go home" not the intro to Singing in the Rain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2