2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

56 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Ok, so that brief hype video up there shows some guy taking a puff off a cigar...is that allowed at the ball park?  If so, SWEET!

Probably at the left field tailgate or one of those buses behind right field.

Guest Lobo

They said alphabetical order:  Arkansas, Tenn., Texas, Vandy.  

I think that's also how they'll go in numerical order.  Or at least that's what we've been projecting since Friday night.  

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

New Jersey Tech?  Is that a thing?

Wasn't that the name of the museum on the Esplanade in "The Sopranos"? 

53 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Who is left off the post season roster? Does NCAA still make the the teams trim their rosters for regionals and beyond?

Judging by all the pitchers Fairfield threw at us I don't think they do. But, rather, I think the regular season rosters have been pretty standardized as far as their size. I certainly have not heard anything about trimming rosters in a very long time.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The hitting has improved but tough to beat Texas with this. 

Starting rotation: Madden (2.59 ERA), Stevens (2.77 ERA), Hansen (1.88 ERA)

Top 3 bullpen arms: Quintanilla (1.38 ERA), Nixon (2.43 ERA), Witt (2.64 ERA) 

Yeah it is why we lost one series all season. And throw in the fact our entire starting line up is now hitting above .270.

We have a real good shot this season. Everybody enjoy the ride.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So do we know who we’re playing in the Supers yet?

South Alabama had tremendous momentum yesterday, they were gonna carry it thru to a final game 7 today.  But rain stopped it.  They'll resume play in the 5th with S.AL up 4-0.  I'm sure the starting pitchers for both sides are burned for today.  Obviously that goes back to favoring USF (who has zero losses in the regional, and thus is the favorite to advance).  Resume game starts at 11:00a-CDT.  Second game was originally slated for 3:00p, but maybe they'll move it up and just let them do back-to-back with maybe 30 mts. of inter-game time out of fairness to the pitchers.  

Either team is fucked after today. 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Judging by all the pitchers Fairfield threw at us I don't think they do. But, rather, I think the regular season rosters have been pretty standardized as far as their size. I certainly have not heard anything about trimming rosters in a very long time.

With the all players getting an extra year of eligibility, apparently not much limit on rosters this year:  

Loaded rosters, COVID-19 will make the 2021 college baseball season interesting

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/loaded-rosters-covid-19-will-make-the-2021-college-baseball-season-interesting/article_b6b91f2a-770a-11eb-938e-9731ba82bb3e.html

Edited by DalTxHornFan

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Yeah that was a total mess. They couldn't find my order at all until just a few minutes ago. All good now though, csb.

What's weird is that when the tickets went on sale this a.m., Sec 1, Row 4 was available ... but my pre-requested tickets aren't as good as the tickets I could buy this a.m. WTF?

Edited by wood

FCB

Spoiler

— Make sure you check out this week’s Flagship Podcast interview with former Texas player and former Texas State head coach Ty Harrington that hit the message board today.

I spoke with Harrington Monday morning - following UT’s Sunday night, 12-2 victory over Fairfield, clinching a berth in the NCAA Super Regional round against either South Alabama or South Florida, who are still battling in the NCAA Gainesville Regional.

We go in-depth on what Harrington likes about the Longhorns' team this season, including detailed breakdowns of UT pitchers Ty Madden, Tristan Stevens and Pete Hansen and why they're all so effective - in different ways.

Harrington said Madden, Stevens and reliever Cole Quintanilla have all matured and performed so well this season that all three could possibly be high draft picks in this year's Major League Baseball draft July 11-13. Harrington said he's hearing Madden (7-4, 2.59 ERA), whose fastball clocks in the mid-to-high 90s, is probably a mid- to late first-round pick; Quintanilla (4-0, 1.38 ERA), who also throws in the mid-to-high 90s, is likely a third- to fifth-round pick; while Stevens (10-3, 2.77 ERA), a power sinkerballer, is likely a fifth- to 10th-round pick.

I've talked to a couple MLB scouts about where other Longhorns are likely to be drafted in July, such as Ivan Melendez, a redshirt sophomore who leads UT in hitting (.330) and home runs (12); first baseman Zach Zubia, a redshirt junior batting .309 who leads the team in RBI (55); and redshirt junior third baseman Cam Williams, who is batting .308 with 10 home runs and 45 RBI. Those three all project to be selected in rounds 15-20, the scouts said.

One American League scout said a potential knock on Zubia and Williams is that they would both be 24 years old in their first full season of pro ball, which is high. Melendez is age appropriate, but having been in the DH role most of the season, a true gauge of Melendez's defensive skills is yet to be determined, the scout said. It's possible Zubia, Williams and Melendez would be considered "budget savers" if taken in the top 10 rounds of this year's 20-round draft if they'd be willing to take less money than is usually slotted for their draft position, the scout said.

"Their true draft value in a normal year would be 15th to 20th rounds," the scout said. "But these guys will be helped by the fact that this year is a very bad draft for college position players. It's a weak draft top to bottom, really."

— Former Texas player and former Texas State head coach Ty Harrington had some interesting insight into Texas' possible opponent in the Super Regional round - either South Alabama or South Florida.

South Alabama, the No. 3 seed in the Gainesville Regional, won 4-0 Monday over South Florida, the No. 4 seed in the Gainesville Regional, in a game that was suspended in the fifth inning Sunday due to weather. Because that was USF's first loss of the regional, the two teams were set to play again in the winner-take-all game on Monday afternoon.

The top two seeds in the Gainesville Regional - Florida and Miami - were eliminated.

If you're a Texas baseball fan, you should probably be cheering for South Alabama to win the NCAA Gainesville Regional Monday over South Florida and thus come to Austin for this weekend's Super Regional, Harrington said.

Harrington is familiar with South Alabama, having competed against them in the Sun Belt while Harrington was head coach at Texas State (2000-19).

“If you’re a Texas fan, you want South Alabama to win that suspended game when it resumes and then win that regional, because that would mean the starting pitching used on Monday might be unavailable to start the Super Regional,” Harrington said.

"Few teams can match Texas' pitching depth. We certainly saw that Sunday night against Fairfield. I'd say Texas' front-end pitching is better than 85 or 90 percent of the teams Texas is going to face the rest of the postseason."

I get Harrington's point about pitching but South Alabama > South Florida. 

Give us the worse team. 

Also, Harrington's point about Stevens and Quintanilla is interesting. I've seen nothing that has either as top 300ish draft prospects so maybe he knows more than the "experts." 

Edited by texasstrong12

52 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

SIAP. given the our season long discussion it appears its not just us.   "baserunning is an epidemic in baseball" - Mack Brown.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31551774/sorry-had-see-how-baserunning-become-embarrassing-problem-major-league-baseball

symptom of the walk, K, HR era, IMO.