2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

As pointed out in another thread, this is the guy that bowed up on Mike Antico after colliding at the plate early in game one of our series with them, setting off a scuffle that got the left side of our infield ejected.  We then had to play the rest of that game, and all of game two with substitutes at second, third, and short...which didn't end up mattering, because the subs played great, and we still swept the kats.  So, yeah, thanks for the homer, dude, but fuck you.  Congrats on your dogpile moment.

So basically it worked out perfectly.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

/Cairn Horn furiously deletes all his posts from Friday night shitting on the team and saying he’s out on Texas baseball this year. 

That and greenspoint going full greenspoint and saying Friday’s loss was the worst in modern Texas baseball history. Some of our fans don’t deserve the success the baseball program has brought us

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

How, exactly, are we “co-champions” when we have the same record and won the head to head. That is fucking retarded.

Did they dog pile on Saturday on their tcu emblem? Cocksuckers 

Edited by Fletch
Saturday Sunday. What’s the difference

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

/Cairn Horn furiously deletes all his posts from Friday night shitting on the team and saying he’s out on Texas baseball this year. 

Wrong...I deleted nothing....we won Friday’s game....it was the Thur night game we lost.

Appears that a lot of posts were deleted....There’s a post Thur at 7:31pm.....and skips to Fri morning at 8:48am???

Edited by Cairn Horn88

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Got mine at AT&T store on Guadalupe.

When did you get it if you don't mind me asking?  I'm still trying to locate one and am pretty close to there .

Getting UCLA in our regional and being matched with the Gainesville regional would be really fun and interesting. UCLA and Florida were both top 3-5 preseason and just were never really able to put it together. But both teams have loads of talent and could be dangerous in the postseason.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, UCLA would still be a challenge even with us as the #3 overall.  They still have a number of great players left from that 2019 Super Regional team that was just a few outs with Michigan from Omaha.  

They started out hot and worthy of those high rankings---won a series at UC-Irvine, swept CSU-Fullerton, won the series with Arizona, won the series at Southern Cal, and a few other midweek quality wins.  But last six weeks of the season were less than stellar.  Still solid, but not eye-opening.  They still have a bit to prove this weekend on the road at Arizona State also looking to get the best #2 seed possible for their regional purposes.  

Edited by Lobo

Don't know if the NCAA Baseball Committee will follow suit,  but the Softball Committee prioritized regional matchups to the extent possible due to Covid.    Especially for the Super Regional matchups.   With  the improvement in Covid restrictions, may/may not be a factor.    Results were alot of conference matchups for the Super Regionals.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Looks like KU is going with its "ace," Cole Larsen, against WV in the play-in game tomorrow. WV is countering with their 3rd starter, Carlson Reed, who I thought would pitch against us on Sunday. Mazey opted to throw their weekday guy (Tulloch) at us instead, saving a weekend guy for this must-win game.  If WV wins, we'll see the return of the Wolf on Wednesday.  If KU wins, I would guess it would be Eli Davis, who only threw 49 pitches while getting pummeled in Lubbock on Friday.  

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Not in football, which I am pretty sure is the only sport that is used for.

It's just mind-numbing how often this shit needs to be explained.  Baseball and football are different.  Football crowns a champion on the field.  Baseball looks at conference record.  That's it.

(Not that you don't know this, I'm speaking to others.)

8 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Looks like KU is going with its "ace," Cole Larsen, against WV in the play-in game tomorrow. WV is countering with their 3rd starter, Carlson Reed, who I thought would pitch against us on Sunday. Mazey opted to throw their weekday guy (Tulloch) at us instead, saving a weekend guy for this must-win game.  If WV wins, we'll see the return of the Wolf on Wednesday.  If KU wins, I would guess it would be Eli Davis, who only threw 49 pitches while getting pummeled in Lubbock on Friday.  

In this scenario we would much rather play Kansas. Wolf is a decent arm and against Kubichek that game is probably only a slight advantage in our favor. 

Guest Lobo

Yeah, WVU Friday guy on our Wednesday night could prove frustrating.  As usual, we want KAN/WVU to be an extra-innings slugfest bloodbath completing depleting each bullpen before somebody wins 17-16 after 12 innings.  

Anybody know how OKL/OSU are setting up their rotations?  

Guest Lobo
11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Your name is Cousin Strawberry and you’re not a bookie!?!?!?

Nah man, it's his cousin Marvin Strawberry.  "You know that new action you looking for?!?   Well, here it is!" 

Edited by Lobo

Guest Lobo

Baseball America weighs in with their last bracket projection of the year:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-ncaa-baseball-tournament-final-projected-field-of-64/

This one is a little saltier than the others:  

#1 Texas 

#2 UCLA

#3 LSU

#4 Norfolk State 

Somehow a "bonus" for being their #2 overall instead of #3.  One thing is for sure, with those names---we'd be primetime ESPN the whole weekend.  still set opposite with Florida as almost all projections have us so they can spread around the SEC in Supers.  But Gators are #15 overall and paired with FSU, Indiana, and Northeastern.  FWIW-Tech gets the final National Seed in this one, TCU slides down to #10.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Baseball America weighs in with their last bracket projection of the year:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-ncaa-baseball-tournament-final-projected-field-of-64/

This one is a little saltier than the others:  

#1 Texas 

#2 UCLA

#3 LSU

#4 Norfolk State 

Somehow a "bonus" for being their #2 overall instead of #3.  One thing is for sure, with those names---we'd be primetime ESPN the whole weekend.  still set opposite with Florida as almost all projections have us so they can spread around the SEC in Supers.  But Gators are #15 overall and paired with FSU, Indiana, and Northeastern.  FWIW-Tech gets the final National Seed in this one, TCU slides down to #10.  

They must have edited, because the link shows Duke as the #3 in Austin.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And that right there is the problem with the ridiculous deification of the SEC at the expense of west coast baseball. Two of the top 6 teams in the country by power rating predicted to be in the same regional. 

I don't get that. The West Coast has produced three champions over the past decade: UCLA, Arizona, and Oregon State. And even in seasons they do not win it all, western teams do well in post season play. There is no evidence to justify considering them inferior in any way. It is like football is somehow impacting baseball for no rational reason.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't get that. The West Coast has produced three champions over the past decade: UCLA, Arizona, and Oregon State. There is no evidence to justify considering them inferior in any way. It is like football is somehow impacting baseball for no rational reason.

The committee has actually been tilting the tournament toward the SEC for decades. 25 years ago it was because they wanted regionals to actually be regional they claimed. Because baseball wasn't as profitable, so the superior teams west of the Mississippi had to battle it out for fewer possible CWS berths than they should have been allowed to play for. 

Then suddenly when the SEC actually started producing several really good teams each year that logic for some weird reason wasn't as important and no longer did half the regions have to be on each side of the country. 

Guest Lobo

^
Good points above.  As much as we like to bag on it, the seeding/geography behind the Basketball Tourney does make some sense.  The baseball one is still archaic and bottles the mind.  

And yeah, Baseball America did edit that thing.  It was LSU, but now they're in South Bend and Duke is coming to Austin.  We're gonna draw, at the 2 or 3, a geographically local team.  I don't see the Committee putting a far West Coast and a far East Coast Team in Austin as the 2 & 3.  Somebody is going to come from closer to Austin.  #4 seed is obviously a wild guess, some auto-qualifier from who knows where---Stony Brook, Norfolk State, Dixie State, et. al.  

They're making an attempt this year, I'll give them that...where if higher seeds prevail, there'll be 2 SEC teams in one Omaha bracket and 2 SEC teams in another Omaha bracket.  But does every other fucking regional decision have to be based around that?  I don't think so, but I ain't the committee due to some inappropriateness back in '09 across the river in Council Bluffs 

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

Are these projections not an attempt to guess what the committee will do based their tendencies from recent seasons?

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

It is the opposite. The Comittee's past actions are reflected in the projections.

Yeah, I get that.  But shouldn't we also wait until we see the ACTUAL bracket before complaining about specific Regionals/seedings.

I know that's a lot less fun, so probably not.

Guest Lobo
12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, I get that.  But shouldn't we also wait until we see the ACTUAL bracket before complaining about specific Regionals/seedings.

I know that's a lot less fun, so probably not.

I wouldn't call this complaining.  More like pointing out synchronicities, oddities, intricacies, and other things that could be used as the title of a Pink Floyd E.P.  

Dude, we shit the bed in 2019 and didn't even make our own conf. tourney, let alone the big bracket.  Covid took the 2020 post-season away.  It's been three full years since diehard UT baseball fans have gotten to get excited about the post-season, so yeah---we're gonna overanalyze a little bit.  Gonna be that way for every single game of the OKC tourney for us which will be anywhere from 3 to 6 games.  I haven't looked at a single NCAA baseball bracket in 3 years, but we're possibly a Top 2-4 national seed.  So I'm gonna sit on the toilet and breakdown every single one of them. 

Because it's baseball.  Because I'm vaccinated.  And, Because America ain't back until the Longhorns are back in Omaha.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I wouldn't call this complaining.  More like pointing out synchronicities, oddities, intricacies, and other things that could be used as the title of a Pink Floyd E.P.  

Dude, we shit the bed in 2019 and didn't even make our own conf. tourney, let alone the big bracket.  Covid took the 2020 post-season away.  It's been three full years since diehard UT baseball fans have gotten to get excited about the post-season, so yeah---we're gonna overanalyze a little bit.  Gonna be that way for every single game of the OKC tourney for us which will be anywhere from 3 to 6 games.  I haven't looked at a single NCAA baseball bracket in 3 years, but we're possibly a Top 2-4 national seed.  So I'm gonna sit on the toilet and breakdown every single one of them. 

Because it's baseball.  Because I'm vaccinated.  And, Because America ain't back until the Longhorns are back in Omaha.  

391.gif

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A BURNT ORANGE CROSS THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Actually these projected brackets are leaked by the committee to see how much people bitch about various combinations.  When they find the combination that elicits the most complaints that's the one they'll use.

I am calling bullshit on this.

No one has a clue where everyone will be but the committee and they are not leaking anything.