Jump to content

Tell me about SMU


Longboard Horn

Recommended Posts

On 11/6/2020 at 6:30 AM, deadshank said:

My crazy-assed grandpa was part of this group.   Closing in on 100 years ago.  Time flies. 

35F00BAF-541B-40F2-860D-7B2E02E27891.jpeg

My father and Truman Spain roughnecked together in the late 40's.  Both were known to indulge in an adult beverage with regularity. Daddy would get a whiskey fueled call from Spain after midnight once or twice a year in the 60's that would last over an hour.  The stories those two could have told would have made a great book.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shane is 22 years old, has played at college QB for 5 seasons, finished his masters, I'm sure he's ready to move on. Squints has been earning $550K/yr or so running practice teams for 8 months a year. Hopefully Shane can find a similar gig or better for at least 3-4 years and build up some bank.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Is Mordecai a threat to be the starter over Stone next season?

Lincoln Riley's brother is the OC at SMU so I'm sure both sides have vetted the situation well. Mordecai was competent at OU so I would think he could be at least serviceable.

From Mordecai's perspective, he was backing up a guy two years his junior at a P5 program, and he's taken a set down. I'm guessing he views SMU as an opportunity to start.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hornster said:

Squints has been earning $550K/yr or so running practice teams for 8 months a year. Hopefully Shane can find a similar gig or better for at least 3-4 years and build up some bank.

Shane is a much better QB than squints was coming out of college. Like, it's not really close. 

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Is Mordecai a threat to be the starter over Stone next season?

I would think so. We wanted competition in camp to not simply hand Stone the job right off the bat. I could easily see Stone beating him out but if he doesn't then I'm guessing he will redshirt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 12:27 AM, ztejas said:

I would think so. We wanted competition in camp to not simply hand Stone the job right off the bat. I could easily see Stone beating him out but if he doesn't then I'm guessing he will redshirt. 

Stone should be able to win the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirted. Mordecai definitely has the experience and tools around him to be a good competitor for it. Spring ball QB battles should be fun.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 7:18 AM, Longboard Horn said:

A few P5 players that SMU has been able to get from the transfer portal

Plus with the highest ranked signing class in history. Sonny ain't playing! He wants a conference title!

 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:18 AM, Longboard Horn said:

 

Highest ranked signing class in SMU history is a fucking joke.  They signed Craig James, Eric Dickerson, Charles Waggoner, Michael Carter, and Stanley Goodine in the '79 class which had either 7 or 8 top 100 recruits. Not top 100 recruits in the state, but the nation so even if every kid in that class was a quadriplegic that trumps this class and I will take Dickerson over Stone as the Ponies highest rated recruit ever, but that doesn't play well on social media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PGFrog said:

 

Highest ranked signing class in SMU history is a fucking joke.  They signed Craig James, Eric Dickerson, Charles Waggoner, Michael Carter, and Stanley Goodine in the '79 class which had either 7 or 8 top 100 recruits. Not top 100 recruits in the state, but the nation so even if every kid in that class was a quadriplegic that trumps this class and I will take Dickerson over Stone as the Ponies highest rated recruit ever, but that doesn't play well on social media.

They are talking about highest ranked  recruiting class in history since the death penalty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

They are talking about highest ranked  recruiting class in history since the death penalty.

 

1 hour ago, PGFrog said:

Missed the asterisk.   

These twitter & press department press releases are a joke. Before computers, nobody had the time to look up bullshit like the longest kick return to start the second half in a domed stadium west of the Mississippi since 1987. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

 

These twitter & press department press releases are a joke. Before computers, nobody had the time to look up bullshit like the longest kick return to start the second half in a domed stadium west of the Mississippi since 1987. 

I keep forgetting that the target for the social media campaigns are primarily high school students and the occasional adult who finds comfort and self worth in these messages.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

@ztejas If this happens, then Stone most likely will redshirt 

 

I really haven't been following Texas or SMU much lately in the off-season outside of some recruiting stuff but this was kind of expected. I know we had a walk-on kid getting good reps so yes Preston should be able to RS potentially even if Mordecai goes down. 

We should compete in the AAC. A lot of young talent but we'll be a decent dark horse G5 (don't tell the AAC commish I said G5) for a NY6 bid. Especially after whoopin some TCU ass. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 8:14 PM, 4th&Five said:

Mordecai already has 7 td passes in his first start. 

And with that he broke the SMU single game passing TD record. Excited to have him!

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2021/09/04/tanner-mordecai-breaks-smu-single-game-passing-td-record-in-win-over-abilene-christian/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ponies can really run. That Mordecai to Calcaterra connection is real. Add that in with Roberson, Gray, Rice, and the RB Bentley. NFL WR's all over the field. One thing they do consistently is put WR's in the NFL. It's shocking Texas hasn't thrown the checkbook at Rashaad Samples to lead recruiting. Students finally supporting the team after all these years. Fun product.

 

They have a good chance of beating TCU again in a few weeks.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.30481572c0dbe561c03ab21615da0fdf.jpeg

Edited by Doak
  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Doak said:

Ponies can really run. That Mordecai to Calcaterra connection is real. Add that in with Roberson, Gray, Rice, and the RB Bentley. NFL WR's all over the field. One thing they do consistently is put WR's in the NFL. It's shocking Texas hasn't thrown the checkbook at Rashaad Samples to lead recruiting. Students finally supporting the team after all these years. Fun product.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.30481572c0dbe561c03ab21615da0fdf.jpeg

I was at the game on Saturday and was extremely pleased with the student turnout. A lot more students have started showing up since SMU has started to be competitive again and I'm glad they moved the student section to the hilltop in the end zone. Makes more sense. 

Also, SMU is Wide Receiver U!

Edited by Longboard Horn
PonyUpDallas
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Doak said:

It's shocking Texas hasn't thrown the checkbook at Rashaad Samples to lead recruiting.

 

Someone will very soon.

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Looking through the roster with how many guys they were able to get from the transfer portal SMU can have a new slogan; "SMU football: all your transfers are belong to us" or "We own the transfer portal"

Not a Houston fan (at all, fuck’em) but they should 100% copy this tactic. Lots of big time athletes bust at power 5 schools so recruit the fuck out of any stars in your metro while in high school knowing you have 0% chance of signing them but meet all their family, get them on campus multiple times, stay in contact as best you can, then when their name drops in the transfer portal sell them on coming home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Someone will very soon.

Not a Houston fan (at all, fuck’em) but they should 100% copy this tactic. Lots of big time athletes bust at power 5 schools so recruit the fuck out of any stars in your metro while in high school knowing you have 0% chance of signing them but meet all their family, get them on campus multiple times, stay in contact as best you can, then when their name drops in the transfer portal sell them on coming home.

It works very well too. SMU took in Gilbert/Buechele and both are in the NFL now. Broke records in that offense.

Look at this past draft alone...SMU had two guys drafted. Both transferred to SMU. Kylen Granson transferred from Rice and is going to play a lot of downs this year for the Colts at TE. Brandon Stephens transferred from UCLA where he was playing RB. SMU switched him to CB and he was taken in the 3rd rd. It's a heck of a sell

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...