AMMO THREAD

Handcruser

15 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Thanks. I didn’t realize that.  The way I understood it is that you have to have registered a gun.  It seemed like once you had registered a gun you could buy other types of ammo (.22, .38 etc even if the only registered gun was the 9mm).  I’ll look into it further. 

More info:

https://calwaterfowl.org/navigating-californias-new-ammunition-background-check-system#:~:text=For five out of six,the store with their ammo.

Thanks again Gil. Good article. Sounds like unless I register a gun I would have to pay $19 for a one time back ground check each time I buy ammo. That’s be acceptable if there was enough stock out there to make it worth while but for now there isn’t. 

I don’t necessarily have a problem registering a gun and that’s probably what I’ll do once there is ammo on the shelves to buy. Of course it’s always an excuse to buy another gun. Article suggested having a pal sell you a worthless, broken gun for $0.01 just to get into the system. 

Thanks for the article. Clears up my options. 

They’ve received probably 7 trillion rounds of that in the last 2-3 weeks. So good for us.

Academy rocks. They haven’t increased prices like others have.
My local academy has a resaler issue with their low prices. Lines out the door are 30 people deep on Fridays when ammo arrives.

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
On 5/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, Handcruser said:

They’ve received probably 7 trillion rounds of that in the last 2-3 weeks. So good for us.

Academy rocks. They haven’t increased prices like others have.

My local academy has a resaler issue with their low prices. Lines out the door are 30 people deep on Fridays when ammo arrives.

All of them do.

Thanks again Gil. Good article. Sounds like unless I register a gun I would have to pay $19 for a one time back ground check each time I buy ammo. That’s be acceptable if there was enough stock out there to make it worth while but for now there isn’t. 

I don’t necessarily have a problem registering a gun and that’s probably what I’ll do once there is ammo on the shelves to buy. Of course it’s always an excuse to buy another gun. Article suggested having a pal sell you a worthless, broken gun for $0.01 just to get into the system. 

Thanks for the article. Clears up my options. 

No. You pay 19 the first time. 1 dollar each time after that.

Basic Ammunition Eligibility Check – $19 – can take several days. This is for people who are not in the Automated Firearm System. Unfortunately, using this option will not get you entered into the AFS, so until you purchase or register a gun to get in the AFS, you have to pay the $19 every time you buy ammunition.

This is from the link you provided.  

19 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

What’s to stop a chain of friends from buying and selling the same crap gun to register under the program?

nothing, but why would you?   I assume that anybody buying ammo already owns a gun.  Why buy a "crap" gun and register it? 

If I owned any guns I would sure as shit give a rat's ass having the government track them/me.  None of their business.  None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

But, alas, I don't own any that aren't at the bottom of a large body of water somewhere.

22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh.

I don't give a rat's ass if the govt knows I own guns.   Maybe you do, but I'm not worried about it, so it's not something I've thought about. 

Maybe you’re not worried about it because it’s not something you’ve thought about. 

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

The govt knows about your guns. They don't know how or why to access the info though.

Unless you have a high point pistol. They likely don't know about that one.

Nor would they, or anyone else for that matter, want to know.

So, I happened to be passing thru las vegas, and stopped at Bass Pro. 

They had some .22, and a shitload of .223.  Like 1000 rd. boxes of .223.

Anyway, they have a 5 box limit, so I grabbed 3 boxes of Aguila .22 for 6.95 a box, and for shits and goggles, I grabbed 2 boxes (20 rds each) of CCI 22 LR shotshell.

So, tell me about this shotshell that I bought.  I've never used it.  Ok for pistol or rifle? Is one better than the other?   Is it good to blast rats/gophers? 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Anyway, they have a 5 box limit, so I grabbed 3 boxes of Aguila .22 for 6.95 a box, and for shits and goggles, I grabbed 2 boxes (20 rds each) of CCI 22 LR shotshell.

So, tell me about this shotshell that I bought.  I've never used it.  Ok for pistol or rifle? Is one better than the other?   Is it good to blast rats/gophers? 

Usually .22 shot shell is intended for up close use on varmints. Think snakes and the like. Probably would work on rats if you can get one to hang around while you shoot it. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Usually .22 shot shell is intended for up close use on varmints. Think snakes and the like. Probably would work on rats if you can get one to hang around while you shoot it. 

When I was a child, while visiting family out in east Texas, my cousins would take me out to shoot rats.  They lived out in the sticks and there was this community dumpster area.  You could kick it and rats would pour out from under it.  At that point, you would lead and shoot them with 22’s. I’ve only known .22 shotshells as “ratshot” for the last 30 years.  I’ve had mixed results on snakes I’ve shit with it, fwiw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

How much was the 1000 round of .223 going for?  I bought 2 300 round boxes from academy for $200 each last week

8 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

How much was the 1000 round of .223 going for?  I bought 2 300 round boxes from academy for $200 each last week

I'm sorry, I didn't look.  There was a salesman in the aisle talking to a few customers, and he pointed out that they had it on the bottom shelf.  He also pointed out 22 mag, and said that it's really, really scarce these days.   Since I don't have any 22 mags, I didn't bother to look at the price of that either.   The area around what ammo they had was crowded, so I reached in, grabbed my 22s, and got out of the way. 

I verified that they had no 9mm or 38 spec, because I wanted 38 for me and 9 for my son. 

Also, I drove through NV, AZ, and up into Utah.  I hit several walmarts, and the shelves were empty everywhere.  I suspect being at Bass Pro early in the morning shortly after they opened was why they had inventory. 

Edited by Gil Bang

On 5/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Gil Bang said:

They are fun for shooting at bumble bees flying around the old cedar pole barn and impromptu ritz cracker skeet with an iron sighted yute 22 single shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Academy at westheimer and voss had a fuckton of ammo today. Bought 2 200 round boxes of Winchester green tip 556 for $130/. Swung back around at the academy off Kirby and they had loads of 556 ammo. 400 round boxes of Federal FMJ for $290/

ended up buying 2 200 round boxes of 22LR at $33/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:28 PM, Johnny Chimpo said:

Also a lot of fun when shooting skeet.  VERY tough to hit (obviously)

27 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Texas Gun Talk guys are saying Academy ammo shelves are being restocked... and the 2 box limit has been raised to 4.
Plus the early morning long lines of neckbeards are dwindling rapidly.

I may check it out next week.

Has Academy said anything official on the box limit?  Or is it a store by store thing?

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Plus the early morning long lines of neckbeards are dwindling rapidly.

This is more important than the box/limit imo.   I rarely need to purchase 10 boxes of some type of ammo (aside from 12/20ga).  But being able to get any of not inline at 0530 is an issue.   I’ve noticed midway starting to send me more and more notification emails for ammo I had tagged.  Hopefully the prices continue to drop and availability continues to rise.  Be nice to get back to normal at some point. 

Anyone who had pirates or ambush on their ammo crisis bingo card is a winner today.

Appears that a bunch of mostly .22lr manufactured  in Mexico was stolen while on its way to the US border.

7 million rounds - being reported that +95% was .22........ and I'm sure that's not what the bandits hoped for but that's the last thing the ammo industry needs.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Anyone who had pirates or ambush on their ammo crisis bingo card is a winner today.

Appears that a bunch of mostly .22lr manufactured  in Mexico was stolen while on its way to the US border.

7 million rounds - being reported that +95% was .22........ and I'm sure that's not what the bandits hoped for but that's the last thing the ammo industry needs.

Big .22LR sale at the flea markets around Texas this weekend. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, davidg said:

Pffft, 7MM  22lr rounds is like a good weekends plinking.

Yeah - news reports I've seen are a bit dramatic - Calling it a convoy of trucks. I guess two box trucks could be considered a convoy if they are hauling Coors or ammo, as that's all you'd need for that much .22.

In reality, I'd love to have seen the look on the cartel boss's face when his boys rolled in with what he thought might be 7MM of 5.56 and it turned out to be 99% squirrel pills. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Yeah - news reports I've seen are a bit dramatic - Calling it a convoy of trucks. I guess two box trucks could be considered a convoy if they are hauling Coors or ammo, as that's all you'd need for that much .22.

In reality, I'd love to have seen the look on the cartel boss's face when his boys rolled in with what he thought might be 7MM of 5.56 and it turned out to be 99% squirrel pills. 

You Idiot GIF - Idiot YouEediot GIFs

On 6/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, TexasEd said:

If you need .270 Wby Mag let me know

Thanks a bunch.  But I’m set.  I do have a box of 45 ACP if someone here inside or close to loop Houston wants it.  PM me.  I’ll drop it off on your porch.  

I sold my 45 stupidly because a family friend who is a cop sold it to me but regretted it and wanted it back.  I loved that pistol.  A sig P220.  

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Dunno, but I bought some centerfire pistol & rifle ammo at a b&m store for the first time in almost 2 years. Academy on 283 in north Austin at 11am today. $21.99/box 9mm and $34.99/box .30-30. 

E53E0ADB-C821-44B3-B56C-B6ECECD29AC2.jpeg

Dang. Was handling my great grandfathers 30-30 the other day and realized the only ammo I have at moment is a ~50 year old box of Peters 150gr.