2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Honestly, don’t even think we played our “best” in that sweep. 

Exactly. No even close imho. I never even thought we ever really got going well or totally loosened up. And still swept the 1 seed. 

Still blows my mind O’Brien was just sitting here, in grad school, and Elliot was like holy fuck, you have a year of eligibility left, wanna play? 

And they Syd took her demotion in stride and has really contributed coming in to serve and play defense 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

Haha they both are regular UT volleyball announcers, and one used to coach here. Tbh I didn’t notice much bias besides Paul building up Wisconsin a bit so people didn’t change the channel. 

Exactly, and Salima used to play and coach against Wisconsin. 

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Bump...  Love Jhenna  🤘

She doesn’t have the height of Shook or came to Texas with the accolades and rankings, but she has been better than imagined since she stole the position from Shook.  As much swagger as you can fit in 5’8

18 minutes ago, wood said:

Exactly, and Salima used to play and coach against Wisconsin. 

I just caught up, had kid stuff to take care of, but I don't think it's absurd to say that the announcers were pro-UWisc.  It was abundantly clear, and I am loathe to ever make that call.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd be happy to take their place.

“God damn this announcer keeps calling the B1G a giant conference of pussies. And really fucking railing Nebraska during this match they aren’t playing in”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Still blows my mind O’Brien was just sitting here, in grad school, and Elliot was like holy fuck, you have a year of eligibility left, wanna play? 

And they Syd took her demotion in stride and has really contributed coming in to serve and play defense 

What a boon for us.  And for her.  Second-tier B1G team to NC run.

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I just caught up, had kid stuff to take care of, but I don't think it's absurd to say that the announcers were pro-UWisc.  It was abundantly clear, and I am loathe to ever make that call.

Heh, yeah I gotta disagree. They were just being pros. Sundy was overcompensating a little, but I didn't hear Salima favoring Wisconsin. It wouldn't make any sense anyway, given her history.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did she think she wasn't Texas good?  Kinda odd for a kid with those bona fides to show up and not even contact the coach.

I don’t think she wanted to play again - Elliot had to convince her. When she announced she was leaving Illinois, it was mostly about focusing on her future career prospects. She had to formally enter the portal to even be eligible after Elliot invited her to try out. 

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/volleyball/o-brien-shifts-focus-to-academics/article_5421736e-10ad-524d-990a-b86a86a1b4db.html

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think she wanted to play again - Elliot had to convince her. When she announced she was leaving Illinois, it was mostly about focusing on her future career prospects. She had to formally enter the portal to even be eligible after Elliot invited her to try out. 

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/volleyball/o-brien-shifts-focus-to-academics/article_5421736e-10ad-524d-990a-b86a86a1b4db.html

Seems kinda like how Madeline Gates ended up playing for Stanford when she went to get her masters bc Stanford had one of the top academic programs in the country. 

WE DEFINITELY GOT LUCKY!!! 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I’ll do my Kentucky breakdown tomorrow. But I’ll tell you they ain’t as tall as Wisky.  Also has a first team AA setter. 

Kentucky is the most athletic team that Texas has faced but like you said they're shorter than Wisconsin. 

Generally speaking, size at the net is what normally gives Texas issues. 

Texas should be much more battle tested because Kentucky had a very easy path to the finals IMO. 

Washington wasn't right all tournament and probably should have lost to Louisville, Pitt, and even Dayton. They grinded out some wins but they didn't play well at all these last few matches. 

Purdue was probably the top team Kentucky played. Wisconsin went 2-0 vs Purdue, Penn State went 1-1, and my guess is Nebraska would have swept Purdue. I think you can make a legitimate argument that the last 3 teams Texas has played are better than anybody Kentucky had to beat to make the finals. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas hit just over .300 - another .300+ match against those elite B1G defenses. 

Only 8 SE and only got aced 3 times. Def helps to not give away free points. 

The scary part is Eggleston and Fields were just ok against Wisconsin. The middles are who dominated. 

Texas just swept the #1 team in the country when Eggleston and Fields can play much better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What a boon for us.  And for her.  Second-tier B1G team to NC run.

O'brien was huge but adding Jamie Morrison to the coaching staff was just as important. I don't think it's a coincidence this is the best passing/ball control team under Elliott since he joined as a volunteer assistant. 

Texas needs to throw the bank at him but it's very unlikely he sticks around. He will probably get a head coaching gig overseas.  

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

O'brien was huge but adding Jamie Morrison to the coaching staff was just as important. I don't think it's a coincidence this is the best passing/ball control team under Elliott since he joined as a volunteer assistant. 

Texas needs to throw the bank at him but it's very unlikely he sticks around. He will probably get a head coaching gig overseas.  

Absolute facts.

Elliott: Let me introduce you to my staff...yada yada...did u forget anyone? Oh, yes, we have a volunteer here Jamie who coached Olympics and National teams. He just needed somebody to give him a chance. No big deal.

• Like 1

A 4 seed feels like utter disrespect this morning, absolutely amazing run so far. Time to bring home the hardware, ladies!

On a related note...while the WNBA is completely unwatchable to me, I would buy the shit out of some courtside season tickets for a women's pro volleyball league.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

Absolute facts.

Elliott: Let me introduce you to my staff...yada yada...did u forget anyone? Oh, yes, we have a volunteer here Jamie who coached Olympics and National teams. He just needed somebody to give him a chance. No big deal.

Yeah, lol. I don't think a lot of people even know he's on staff but I've seen Elliott and Morrison talk a lot on the sidelines. I think it's fairly obvious Morrison is heavily involved. 

Kind of hilarious that a guy who could be a head coach at really any program in the country is a volunteer assistant on the staff. My understanding is Covid kind of screwed up things overseas so that's  the only reason he's at Texas. I hope we keep him but that seems unlikely. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

As I mentioned, the only people on the floor tomorrow with the experience in this type of match is the Texas staff.  Elliot has been here in 4 times.  Sullivan was here with us 3 times.  Johnson was here with us the last 2 times. 

And even last night, the only Texas player with Final Four experience was O'Brien, who went with Illinois.  Pfft, all those girls on our side looked like they were the ones in the Final Four in 2019, not Wisconsin. 

IF Texas continues to pass well on first and second-ball contact to let Gabriel spread it around,  Texas wins.  Texas also has to serve tough (but in bounds) to get Kentucky out of system, just like Washington did.  Establish our big block early and get in their heads. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And my very last note is that Elliot said in this pre-game press conference that everyone is coming back.  If that means O'Brien back for another year, this team will playing in Columbus next year.  Add in a fully healthy Madi Williams and god damn, Texas is LOADED. 

*Yes, the NCAA is going Omaha-Columbus-Omaha.  We finally leave B1G country in 2023 for Tampa and 2024 for Louisville.  Then 2025 in Kansas City.

Prediction?

I’ve been baffled as to why a place like San Antonio (or Houston or DFW) never hosts volleyball FFs.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Here's my Kentucky scouting:

They are athletic as hell, BUT they are not as tall as Wisconsin or Nebraska.  Their block should not provide huge issues in terms of intimidating Fields/Eggleston. 

Their OHs are 6'0, 6'1 and 6'2 - Skinner sisters and Stumler.   They have a 6'4 freshman MB and a 5'10 MB - yes, a 5'10 middle blocker.... Texas should absolutely feast on her block.  Tealer is a smart hitter though, but undersized at really any position (not that we didn't do well with a 5'9 OH for years). 

Texas already dealt with taller blocks with Nebraska (6'2 Sun, 6'4 Stivrins, 6'3 Sweet, 6'3 Kubrick) and Wisconsin (Robinson 6'2, Retke 6'8, Hart 6'4, Loberg 6'3, Haggerty 6'1). 

NPOY Madison Lilley is 5'11, so a good size for a blocker at the setter position, but nothing we haven't already dealt with (Hames was 5'10, Gabby Blossom is 5'9, Hilley is 6'0).  She's just an elite setter, but so was Hilley (First Team AA) and Hames (Second Team AA). 

Gabby Curry is good, but she's no Lauren Barnes, the greatest defensive player in the history of college volleyball. 

They've faced some size with Florida (2-3, 3-0 split), Purdue (3-0 sweep) and UW (3-1). But they are going to be facing VERY ATHLETIC 6'2, 6'3, 6'4 and 6'5 with Texas.  The only comparable team, athlete-wise, they've faced is Florida, but Texas is better than Florida.  The three most athletic teams in the tournament were Texas, Florida, Kentucky. 

Texas hits .335.  Kentucky hits .361. 
Both teams average 1.6 aces per set.  Negligible difference in aces allowed - 1.1 for Texas, 0.9 for Kentucky.  Texas has 159, Kentucky has 125.
Digs are about even - Texas 13.3 per set, Kentucky 13.4 per set
Texas wins the blocking battle - 2.8 pet set, Kentucky 2.4 per set. 

I think Texas wins this if they serve well. Kentucky's offense is built on operating fast and working around a big block. If that doesn't happen the Texas OH/middles should feast. 

The bolded part stands out. To me, Kentucky has only played one team with size/athleticism comparable to Texas and that was Florida. They went 1-1 against Florida who was their only loss. 

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Prediction?

I’ve been baffled as to why a place like San Antonio (or Houston or DFW) never hosts volleyball FFs.

Well, the teams, and a lot of their fans, are midwest and west coast.Texas is the only really competitive team in the Southwest.  It's pretty concentrated unlike WBB.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the teams, and a lot of their fans, are midwest and west coast.Texas is the only really competitive team in the Southwest.  It's pretty concentrated unlike WBB.

Yep. Fan attendance in the Midwest is always high. They go just to watch. Plus it’s all mostly central time  

I think the west coast gets shafted bc of TV times