Black people arrested for sitting in a Starbucks

Pancho

To put more color in an earlier story I mentioned on this thread. 

Right after we graduated high school, I went out with a group of friends to party.  One dude - I'll call him John - was driving and we got pulled over in a fancy neighborhood.. We were all drunk.  There were dozens of beer cans in the car.  Cop asks John to get out of the vehicle and brings him over to his police car.  He had high beams on, so the 3 of us in the car couldn't tell what was going on.  Minutes later, John starts yelling and threatening the cop.  We hear the cop get in the car and drives off while John is kicking the side of his car in anger. 

John gets back in the car and is furious.  The cop gave him a ticket for rolling a stop sign.  Why was he so mad? The court date was when he was supposed to be in California, starting his first year as a scholarship football player at a big time Pac 12 school. John is now a super successful businessman with wife and kids. 

Upper/middle class white dudes getting off scot-free.  I think about that night a lot.  What would his life be like with a DWI and assaulting a police office charge at 18 years old? 

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

People doing lines of coke were on Wall Street and actors or rock stars. They weren’t going around murdering, sticking people up or breaking into homes so they could pay for their next fix.  Crack scared everyone and was seen as far more harmful to a neighborhood  

Meth is treated similarly. 

And lots and lots of college kids.

An anecdotal story about a guy doing blow with his friends is sufficient evidence that the DEA is not looking for cocaine? 
If you want to indulge these conspiracy theories, have at it, just know that it will result in unnecessary paranoia and wasted energy. 
So we're dismissing anecdotes now. A few post ago you were lauding a bootstrap anecdote after rejecting large scale demographic data.

Just now, David Dennison said:

And lots and lots of college kids.

Again. They weren’t breaking into your house or putting a gun in your face. Or wondering the streets like crack heads. It scared the shit out of people. Charles Rangel was a huge supporter of crack being more criminalized. 

• Like 1

You don’t think being a minority is an advantage to getting hired at Biglaw? Fuck me you can’t be serious.  There aren’t a ton of minorities that make the Big Law grade cut, but the ones that do are like gold. And firms will bend the supposed GPA cutoff for minorities if it is close. 
I was on the hiring committee at a big firm. 
You're right Biglaw looks like 1920s Harlem New York. Can't get from one cubicle to next without tripping over a Negro.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:
10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:
You don’t think being a minority is an advantage to getting hired at Biglaw? Fuck me you can’t be serious.  There aren’t a ton of minorities that make the Big Law grade cut, but the ones that do are like gold. And firms will bend the supposed GPA cutoff for minorities if it is close. 
I was on the hiring committee at a big firm. 

You're right Biglaw looks like 1920s Harlem New York. Can't get from one cubicle to next without tripping over a Negro.

It doesn’t look like that. But it isn’t for lack of trying. A black prospect will get the nod over the white one every time assuming same resume.  There are very few qualified candidates for those jobs that are black. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It doesn’t look like that. But it isn’t for lack of trying. A black prospect will get the nod over the white one every time assuming same resume.  There are very few qualified candidates for those jobs that are black. 

This is just good old fashioned racism.

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
20 minutes ago, Chrispy said:
An anecdotal story about a guy doing blow with his friends is sufficient evidence that the DEA is not looking for cocaine? 
If you want to indulge these conspiracy theories, have at it, just know that it will result in unnecessary paranoia and wasted energy. 

So we're dismissing anecdotes now. A few post ago you were lauding a bootstrap anecdote after rejecting large scale demographic data.

I’m not dismissing it as much as it really didn’t make any sense to me. If he said these kids were doing blow in front of cops, then my ears would perk up. But doing blow at a random party and then extrapolating that into some vast conspiracy theory was tough to follow. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This is just good old fashioned racism.

No it isn’t. It’s reality.  We are talking Biglaw.  The universe of qualified black candidates is tiny.  And the ones that are have a golden ticket and their choice of jobs. 

Edited by Johnny Sack

Attempt to steer the thread back to the topic.

I will say that in light of all the additional context I’m impressed that these two guys took a peaceful stand. There’s so much empty activism these days, typified in things like marches that are basically as safe as sitting in your living room, or SJWs who never leave Twitter.

These two guys saw what was going on and took a stand against Philly cops, which could have gone in any number of dangerous directions for them. Kudos.

Just to be clear: if these guys had been the only two in there who were hanging around not buying anything, and they had been told to buy something or leave, I would be squarely in the “fuck em” camp. But it would appear that was very much not the case.

Starbucks is going to get shaken down now because of one stupid store manager who got the assist from some not-so-quick-thinking cops. Oh well. Their coffee sucks anyway.

Since the racism word is thrown around so freely here, is the statement "We are talking Biglaw.  The universe of qualified black candidates is tiny.  And the ones that are have a golden ticket and their choice of any form" racist in itself?  If so, which part - the number of qualified candidates or the opportunities available to them?

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, David Dennison said:
Sure.

If I remember correctly Spanky works (or did) at a predominantly black company.

Not exactly. But, let’s just say that the work my clients do is in a high profile black dominated field. Or court. 

Edited by Spankytoes

Giving their side of the story

PHILADELPHIA — Rashon Nelson initially brushed it off when the Starbucks manager told him he couldn’t use the restroom because he wasn’t a paying customer.

He thought nothing of it when he and his childhood friend and business partner, Donte Robinson, were approached at their table and were asked if they needed help. The 23-year-old entrepreneurs declined, explaining they were just waiting for a business meeting.

A few minutes later, they hardly noticed when the police came into the coffee shop — until officers started walking in their direction.

“That’s when we knew she called the police on us,” Nelson told The Associated Press in the first interview by the two black men since video of their April 12 trespassing arrests touched off a furor around the U.S. over racial profiling or what has been dubbed “retail racism” or “shopping while black.”

There less than 10 minutes

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Actually, it would have been easier if I were black. I could have had more scholarship opportunities available to me instead of having to pay full price. 

torbush

The insecure white focus on the meager amount of scholarships given favorably to blacks while ignoring the Rocky Mountain range of obstacles in front of blacks is amazing. The purpose of selecting for minorities, to the small extent it is done, is to account for the TREMENDOUS oppression still being placed on them today. Why is it that so few minorities make the Big Law grade cut?

Why is it so hard for you people to acknowledge that you live in a society that favors your skin? Why are you so insistent on pretending you've never been a recipient of privilege? it's insane.

48 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

torbush

The insecure white focus on the meager amount of scholarships given favorably to blacks while ignoring the Rocky Mountain range of obstacles in front of blacks is amazing. The purpose of selecting for minorities, to the small extent it is done, is to account for the TREMENDOUS oppression still being placed on them today. Why is it that so few minorities make the Big Law grade cut?

Why is it so hard for you people to acknowledge that you live in a society that favors your skin? Why are you so insistent on pretending you've never been a recipient of privilege? it's insane.

It has nothing to do with the fragility of one’s ego, diminishing someone’s achievements based on their skin pigment is flat out dumb. 

Looks like I’m going to have to suspend my Sasquatch search and find this white privilege feller I keep hearing about. I got a perfect place above my mantle where it would look magnificent.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

torbush

It absolutely happens. Just not at the widespread institutional level that you suggest. There is nothing to support that claim other than a skewed interpretation of the data to fit a narrative. If all things aren’t equal, it must be racism. No, that’s not a logical conclusion.

Now, are you prepared to admit that just maybe White Privilege may not be the answer to every problem in the black community? That every slight against a person of color may not necessarily be tinged with racist undertones? Black people don’t want me to tell them how they feel or how to solve their problems. So I don’t. It’s not my place to either. But I also don’t follow the narrative that I’m the oppressor and should give their feelings a wider berth simply because I’m white. Reverse racism doesn’t solve the issue either. If white guilt lubricates the pill better for you, or makes you feel like you have the moral superiority over me, then I’m fine with that. I gave up bowing to alters some time ago.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 3

There weren’t many black guys/girls in my highschool growing up, mostly Hispanic/white mix.  It’s funny because the few that ran in our group had it better than most. They came from hard working families that worked petrochem. FFS, the only maybach in our area of 100k was one of the Black families.   There were exactly as many shitheads as the white ans Hispanic shitheads. Not many Asian shitheads but there weren’t a lot of Asians either.  The only folks I ever heard bitch about racism/privelage were the shitheads dealing dope and dropping out of school. Guess all the oppression made them be drains on society. Not the fact they were drug dealing low IQ thugs. 

The Maybach family kids did well. One UT grad and another UH. They pretty much followed Jsacks formula upthread.  Seemed to work just fine for them. 

No it isn’t. It’s reality.  We are talking Biglaw.  The universe of qualified black candidates is tiny.  And the ones that are have a golden ticket and their choice of jobs. 

Easy peasy for black folks in Biglaw

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/hypothetical_legal_memo_demonstrates_unconscious_biases

A legal memo drafted with the help of five law firm partners helped a leadership consulting firm demonstrate unconscious biases in the workplace.

The experiment was conducted by leadership consulting firm Nextion, according to the Forbes blog She Negotiates. Above the Law commented on the findings.

Nextion inserted 22 errors in the memo. Seven were minor spelling or grammar errors, six were substantive technical writing errors, five were errors in fact, and four were errors in the analysis of the facts, according to this summary (PDF) of the study.

Sixty partners from 22 law firms who agreed to participate in a “writing analysis study” received copies of the memo. Half were told the memo was written by an African-American man named Thomas Meyer, and half were told the writer was a Caucasian man named Thomas Meyer. Fifty-three partners completed the task. Of those, 29 received the memo supposedly by a white man and 24 received the memo supposedly by a black man.

The reviewers gave the memo supposedly written by a white man a rating of 4.1 out of 5, while they gave the memo supposedly written by a black man a rating of 3.2 out of 5. The white Thomas Meyer was praised for his potential and good analytical skills, while the black Thomas Meyer was criticized as average at best and needing a lot of work.

This is fucking incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cat, you are wasting your time. They will never believe what you are telling them. No matter how much evidence to the contrary. It doesn't even matter if you are giving them real life experiences. 

33 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

This is fucking incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It’s the truth. Big law has certain GPA requirements. First, there aren’t that many blacks at law schools they recruit from.  And even fewer that make the cutoff

Is it also incredible to you that firms and companies hiring engineers have a hard time getting women and non Asians that are qualified?

Or is it incredible that most doctors are males and most nurses females?

Edited by Johnny Sack

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is it also incredible to you that firms and companies hiring engineers have a hard time getting women and non Asians that are qualified?

Are you an actual engineer and/or do you actually work at a company that hires almost exclusively engineers? Because I am and I do, and I host and interview my fair share of qualified candidates, and this statement is a rather large exaggeration at best from my experience.

Stopped in a local donut shop owned and ran by an African-American family.  Sign on the front door read "No Public Restrooms, Restrooms are for Customers Only."  I didn't have to use any Bill Laimbeer elbows to move protesters out of the way to get tin

Stopped in a local donut shop owned and ran by an African-American family.  Sign on the front door read "No Public Restrooms, Restrooms are for Customers Only."  I didn't have to use any Bill Laimbeer elbows to move protesters out of the way to get tin
The Philly Starbucks needed a sign that said "White people do whatever you want. Negros don't use the restroom or sit for more than 4 minutes without buying a cup of coffee."

Even if you take JohnnySack’s Biglaw shit completely on its face, it’s kind of funny that he still doesn’t see how it is an absolutely perfect example of the long-term impact of systemic racism.

There are reasons that blacks are so rare in Biglaw and there are reasons it is so hard for Biglaw to find “qualified” black candidates.

All of that is staring DIRECTLY in his fucking face and what he takes away is, “hey we’re trying to give them some preference at the last stop on the train line” and completely fucking ignores the 400 previous stops.

It’s kind of sad to constantly realize that the most wealthy and powerful people in the nation have the intellectual depth of a kiddie pool.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Also, the result of this study align with the drivel spouted about every Quarterback entering the NFL draft.

They should have also rated them on their perceived athleticism. 

34 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Even if you take JohnnySack’s Biglaw shit completely on its face, it’s kind of funny that he still doesn’t see how it is an absolutely perfect example of the long-term impact of systemic racism.

There are reasons that blacks are so rare in Biglaw and there are reasons it is so hard for Biglaw to find “qualified” black candidates.

All of that is staring DIRECTLY in his fucking face and what he takes away is, “hey we’re trying to give them some preference at the last stop on the train line” and completely fucking ignores the 400 previous stops.

It’s kind of sad to constantly realize that the most wealthy and powerful people in the nation have the intellectual depth of a kiddie pool.

Also, everyone who is "qualified" for a big law job has a golden ticket. The ones who were rejected by Johnny Sack probably ended up better off. 

And lets talk about Johnny's golden ticket. Trust fund baby, didnt have to work during college or law school. Daddy's money bought him friends and connections. When he went to work at biglaw, did he even have to interview?  Maybe he made the grades, but Johnny wasn't the best possible candidate. Other candidates likely made better grades and went to better law schools.  Johnny was hired, not as an attorney, but to carry on his dad's client connections. 

And then, he's on a hiring committee likely entirely comprised of wealthy middle aged to old white guys, yet middle aged white guys have it so hard. 

I'm not surprised he's afraid of the future. He lacks the skillset necessary to compete without a stacked deck. You see other lawyers make analytical posts when it comes to law, but not Johnny.  He doesn't know or care about the law. He is the guy who golfs with the judge.  He doesn't understand hunger or drive, and when he sees it in others, it scares him to death. Its enough to make a man jog with a gun. You don't see skilled litigators or engineers who are terrified of having an open employment door.  You only see that from salespeople.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Wait, is that stuff actually true about JohnnySack? If so, that explains... a lot.

I shouldn't begrudge people their success if they didn't work their way through college, but I really do when they start talking about race specifically or even the larger concept of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Hopefully this morning’s flagellation session has eased your pain and cleared your conscience. 

12 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Also, everyone who is "qualified" for a big law job has a golden ticket. The ones who were rejected by Johnny Sack probably ended up better off. 

And lets talk about Johnny's golden ticket. Trust fund baby, didnt have to work during college or law school. Daddy's money bought him friends and connections. When he went to work at biglaw, did he even have to interview since his daddy did business with a named partner?  Maybe he made the grades, but Johnny wasn't the best possible candidate. Other candidates likely made better grades and went to better law schools.  Johnny was hired, not as an attorney, but to carry on his dad's client connections. 

And then, he's on a hiring committee likely entirely comprised of wealthy middle aged to old white guys, yet middle aged white guys have it so hard. 

I'm not surprised he's afraid of the future. He lacks the skillset necessary to compete without a stacked deck. You see other lawyers make analytical posts when it comes to law, but not Johnny.  He doesn't know or care about the law. He is the guy who golfs with the judge.  He doesn't understand hunger or drive, and when he sees it in others, it scares him to death. Its enough to make a man jog with a gun. 

You don't know shit about me.  I was top 10 percent at UT Law and could go to any Texas biglaw firm I wanted to after I clerked for a federal judge.  I do not have a trust fund nor have I inherited a penny yet and at age 41 everything I own is from my earnings as an attorney.  I worked in college and in law school, though not during the school year in law school.  My dad died at 16 and was basically broke, so not much help there.

I know it's hard for someone like you to believe, but some people can be successful in life without inheriting anything.  Work hard and smart so you can too.

I wish I had a trust fund though.  Many of my friends do.  I certainly don't look down on them for it.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You don't know shit about me.  I was top 10 percent at UT Law and could go to any Texas biglaw firm I wanted to after I clerked for a federal judge.  

Forget it, this particular individual feels that plate tectonics determined, millions of years ago, California’s homeless nightmare. He’s a total nutjob. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You don't know shit about me.  I was top 10 percent at UT Law and could go to any Texas biglaw firm I wanted to after I clerked for a federal judge.  I do not have a trust fund nor have I inherited a penny yet and at age 41 everything I own is from my earnings as an attorney.  I worked in college and in law school, though not during the school year in law school.  My dad died at 16 and was basically broke, so not much help there.

I know it's hard for someone like you to believe, but some people can be successful in life without inheriting anything.  Work hard and smart so you can too.

I wish I had a trust fund though.  Many of my friends do.  I certainly don't look down on them for it.

Swing low, sweet chariot . . . 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did someone pay for your college? Nothing wrong with that, of course. I paid my kids' way through college.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

You don't know shit about me.  I was top 10 percent at UT Law and could go to any Texas biglaw firm I wanted to after I clerked for a federal judge.  

I know plenty of shit about you. You do like to go on about yourself. Lets talk about the applicant pool when you were hired. Were any UT applicants rejected who were also in the top 10 percent or had better grades?  Were applicants from better national law schools rejected?

And its still funny that you think you earned it even though daddy paid for it, but minorities who had to work hard to even get to the door, and who made the same grades as you, have "golden tickets." Do you say this in your hiring committee meetings?  I think someone needs a visit from the EEOC.