HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

On 3/18/2024 at 11:26 AM, yoladu said:

I am a sucker for cult docs. Not as many twist and turns as the NXIVM cult doc(s), but worth the watch.

We are suckers for these too.  Started watching "The Vow" last week, but they have really drug this one out.  2 Seasons?  WTF? 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:11 AM, C-Man said:

Anybody watch the three-part documentary "Love Has Won: The Cult of Mother God"? A buddy watched is last week and said it was pretty wild so we fired it up this weekend and blew through it. My ex-wife believed/s in some of the same shit and even went on a spiritual retreat to Mt Shasta back in 2018 when this group was there. I don't my ex was a direct follower of Mother God, mostly because of the substantial use of drugs/booze by Mother God. At any rate, it's a breezy 3-hour trip.

I'm two episodes into this and holy fuck are all these people insane. The mental makeup of the people that can fall for cult leaders is a fascinating study. Imagine being one of her three kids "Mother God" abandoned to start a faux science driven cult with her as the diety, just terrible. 

29 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I'm two episodes into this and holy fuck are all these people insane. The mental makeup of the people that can fall for cult leaders is a fascinating study. Imagine being one of her three kids "Mother God" abandoned to start a faux science driven cult with her as the diety, just terrible. 

I was pretty heavy into the sauce on Saturday night when we watched E1 so my memory is a little fuzzy. I don't know what in the ever-loving fuck she ever did at the very beginning that got these morons to follow her lead in the first place because starting in E2, she's just a booze/weed-addled jackass who brings on raving asshole to be the Father God.

This doc was especially interesting because my ex is nuttier than a shithouse rat and is into all this New Age shit (mixed with a little bipolar/manic depression). She actually went on a spiritual retreat to Mt Shasta in 2018 about the time this group was out there. My ex also believes that she will "rotate" off the Earth at some point and go live on some other planet. I haven't gotten the courage to ask her if she knows anything about Amy Carlson or not. My guess is probably not because my wife is definitely not into the drug scene and probably hasn't had more than a sip or two of alcohol in 10 years or more.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I was pretty heavy into the sauce on Saturday night when we watched E1 so my memory is a little fuzzy. I don't know what in the ever-loving fuck she ever did at the very beginning that got these morons to follow her lead in the first place because starting in E2, she's just a booze/weed-addled jackass who brings on raving asshole to be the Father God.

This doc was especially interesting because my ex is nuttier than a shithouse rat and is into all this New Age shit (mixed with a little bipolar/manic depression). She actually went on a spiritual retreat to Mt Shasta in 2018 about the time this group was out there. My ex also believes that she will "rotate" off the Earth at some point and go live on some other planet. I haven't gotten the courage to ask her if she knows anything about Amy Carlson or not. My guess is probably not because my wife is definitely not into the drug scene and probably hasn't had more than a sip or two of alcohol in 10 years or more.

She didn't really do anything in particular. When she got into the relationship with that 80 year old almost homeless guy the weird townsfolk started listening to both of their nonsensical ramblings and they both gained a local following. After that she set up a web page and started live streaming her drivel on YT to the masses and people seeking "gurus" to follow found her. She promptly dumped the old man and broke off on her own to start the cult and got a younger "father god". Shit is insane. 

6 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

She didn't really do anything in particular. When she got into the relationship with that 80 year old almost homeless guy the weird townsfolk started listening to both of their nonsensical ramblings and they both gained a local following. After that she set up a web page and started live streaming her drivel on YT to the masses and people seeking "gurus" to follow found her. She promptly dumped the old man and broke off on her own to start the cult and got a younger "father god". Shit is insane. 

Guess I need to go back and watch E1 again as I don't remember all of that.

34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Ok it’s four years old but The Outsider is a pretty good slow burn thriller/mystery miniseries. Good cast headed up by Jason Bateman and Ben Mendelsohn. Based on a Stephen King book.

Awesome. While you have access to the time machine, can you tell us if the last season of GOT is any good?

• Like 1

We watched the first episode of the Synanon documentary last night and it was kind of boring. Made by one of RFK's kids.

I've never heard of Synanon before this documentary. Some online reviews said it takes way too long to get to the crazy stuff so I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the last three episodes.

No GOT news?! Be better surly.

Jon Snow spinoff effectively dead. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kit-harington-says-jon-snow-184819162.html

The Hedge Knight cast announced. https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/game-of-thrones-prequel-hedge-knight-knight-of-the-seven-kingdoms-cast-peter-claffey-dexter-sol-ansell-1235961895/

I liked Kit Harington as Jon Snow and I was looking forward to more Onion Knight. It kind of feels like Harington showed up with a creative team and GRRM/HBO were like who the hell does this guy think he is? 

The Hedge Knight is going to be a tough HBO adaption. It’s not a Sunday night show. It’s young adult fiction. I’d be shocked if there any sexual situations because it’s just not in the text. I think it could be a good hang, but please don’t stretch each novella into an entire season. Two eight episode seasons and get out clean. That said, who the hell knows what HBO will do? The basis for House of the Dragon, Fire and Blood, is a history textbook written by a maester and a jester. 

Spoiler

A fascinating element of The Hedge Knight will be Dunk or Ser Duncan the Tall. He comes from literally nothing, might not actually be a knight, and isn’t particularly skilled. His greatest strengths are getting hurt but not dying in fights, bravery, and his friendship with Egg. 

Anybody expecting a bad ass swordsman like The Mountain, The Hound, or even Bronn is going to be disappointed. Dunk gets his ass kicked more than Indiana Jones. 

On 3/12/2024 at 6:58 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Conan’s new travel show debuts April 18. 

He did the Hot Ones podcast as promo for this. He was hilarious and went overboard on the sauce. The only time I’ve ever watched an entire episode. Well expect for the incomparable Sydney Sweeney. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 4:23 PM, Guadaloopy said:

We are suckers for these too.  Started watching "The Vow" last week, but they have really drug this one out.  2 Seasons?  WTF? 

new cult doc on HBO/Max

the Synanon Fix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Synanon_Fix

I just dont get it.. how does one follow a guy that looks like this.

image.png.fa5c69e45a502d2f9377df8ac3ea590f.png

All these cult leaders turn into miserable alcoholics, it seems.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1

We watched the first episode of the Synanon documentary last night and it was kind of boring. Made by one of RFK's kids.
I've never heard of Synanon before this documentary. Some online reviews said it takes way too long to get to the crazy stuff so I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the last three episodes.

We watched it all. I remember Synanon as there was a movie about it back in The 60’s. I also worked with a couple of folks in the late 90’s in San Fran that had parents that raised them in it. Took them a few years to uncult themselves. I don’t remember all the later hype and crash but I guess it was subsumed by Manson , jim jones, and similar. They were another version of them and Scientology.