HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

• 2 weeks later...

The finale of Succession was the last show I watched on HBO, which was almost 2 months ago. This is a pretty long drought for them to not have a good weekly series, and I don’t think they can blame it on the writers’ strike yet.

Winning Time season 2 comes out August 6. Beyond that, I’m not optimistic.

13 hours ago, Deej said:

My issue with the app is the volume is always low, and apparently never changes no matter how high you turn the volume up. 

I have to turn on CC manually for everything, even something I paused and picked up later 

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The finale of Succession was the last show I watched on HBO, which was almost 2 months ago. This is a pretty long drought for them to not have a good weekly series, and I don’t think they can blame it on the writers’ strike yet.

Winning Time season 2 comes out August 6. Beyond that, I’m not optimistic.

Righteous Gemstones is on currently.  Winning Time, True Detective, The Regime. That should cover most of 2023 

17 minutes ago, QuesoEspecial said:

I finally got the new app to work without it only letting me watch the preview before the content on my streaming set up of choice (PlayStation 4 on a 2010 Samsung tv…sorry for partying) by deleting the app and reinstalling and then the next day it pushed an update 🥲

IMG_1813.gif.2ee8f889c73d5e2658980c666ae61673.gif

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Has anyone had an issue with turning off closed captioning for the Max App?

I have no idea how, but I can’t get rid of the captions in the Max App. I don’t have this issue with any other app.

sometimes i have to go to hulu or directv stream and turn it off there, then come back to max and it’s fixed. pretty common issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, Mac8111 said:

We are wrapping up the first season of Treme. Not sure why we avoided it for so long. Beautifully done. Can’t believe how many cameos they got for a first season of a series.

I celebrate David Simon's entire catalogue.  We just finished a rewatch of treme after many visits to New Orleans since the first, the most recent being in March for Saint Joseph's to go see the indians.  MIGHTY COOTIE FI-YO!

On 7/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, hornmpa96 said:

I have no idea how, but I can’t get rid of the captions in the Max App. I don’t have this issue with any other app.

I just leave them on all the time as I prefer it. My ADD makes it hard for my brain to focus on what is being said with all the background noise in movies and TV nowadays, so having the titles on helps me keep up with what is going on.

• Like 1

Has anyone else had issues with the Max app turning on and off all the lights in the bedroom at night, causing the television to sporadically light on fire and then ooze blood down the screen, and occasionally opening a portal to another dimension ruled by Gozer the Gozerian?  Or is that just me? 

Son, and I'm just going to tell you this one time. You want to keep posting here, stay off the drugs.

On 7/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, hornmpa96 said:

Yep. It's a pretty easy fix, but it is slightly annoying when you sit down to watch a show. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Barry last night. Man that show got weird in the fourth season. I kept expecting to find out it was all a dream or something.

Was Sally hallucinating? What was the attack scene in the house all about? And why did the cop have a knife in his head?

Good show, not great but some great acting and supporting characters.

• 3 months later...

Surprised there isn’t a thread or discussion about Gilded Age. It’s the best show currently on TV IMO. The 2nd season has been even better than the first. The Opera War between the old money Academy of Music and the nouveau riche Met that’s challenging its place is a great story arc. Love the Newport summer party scenes as well. 

12 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Surprised there isn’t a thread or discussion about Gilded Age. It’s the best show currently on TV IMO. The 2nd season has been even better than the first. The Opera War between the old money Academy of Music and the nouveau riche Met that’s challenging its place is a great story arc. Love the Newport summer party scenes as well. 

I saw it mentioned in another thread somewhere from the beginning of season 1, but not much positive, so I didn't revive it.  I'm enjoying it.  Neither the acting, nor the the storylines are quite as good as Downton Abby, but that would be difficult to match.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Less than a year ago Zaslav and the Warner cfo were talking about how they were going to charge just $15 a month but they planned to raise rates aggressively from there because it was far too good of a value at merely $15. Now they're trying to juice the EOY subscriber numbers. If it were free with ads I still wouldn't watch it.

image.thumb.png.da0c25ebb4b8697efaa535fbe25b3e97.png

Edited by Chopper

33 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I’m about to cancel hbo/max after having it for 20 years.  HBO used to have great shows but there is no decent new content what so ever since they merged.  Anyone else feel this way?

Winning Time was kind of it for me.  I'm trying to finish the Gilded Age.  I want to have access to Silicon Valley.

And whoever is in charge of HBO doesn't understand the concept of "not giving away the family jewels" because all of the DCEU stuff (Batman, Justice League, Suicide Squad, etc.) from the past 10 years is going to be on Netflix in a week.  That makes absolutely no sense to me - I know Netflix has money to throw at that stuff, but from an HBOMax perspective, that's giving plenty of people a reason to cancel.

21 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Harry Potter, Friends, Game of Thrones and Batman/other DC properties are basically the sacred cows of their app’s IP library for the broader audience (i.e., what you need to protect if you want 200 million subscribers and not just the people who want to keep watching Curb and The Wire).  So, of course they license some of that to Netflix.

Maybe don’t hire the guy who made his money off Honey Boo Boo to run your prestige streaming service.

You know what else is a sacred cow?  Looney Tunes, and that dumb fuck is getting rid of that as well.  Animators and voice actors and others are fucking pissed.  Zaslav is trying to make sure that a lot of people want nothing to do with Warner Brothers in the future.  A friend who does VFX and whose shop has contracted with WB/DC said there's trouble brewing with the DC stuff as well, and it's not just the DCEU stuff being shipped off to Netflix, but the animation and upcoming sequels as well.  He wouldn't give details, but his shop is basically assuming that any live-action stuff they are working on could be shut down at any moment.  His shop's not said anything about The Batman 2, Joker 2, Constantine 2 (with Keanu), and others, other than generic social media posts about looking forward to working with whatever James Gunn has planned.

@Buzzrock you mentioned in another thread about the fate of IPs in a streaming world if they aren't on physical media.

F_-IZnIXAAACP_g?format=png&name=medium

I have been going through the Looney Tunes stuff with my kids, but guess we'll have to acquire them elsewhere.  Glad we are ditching Max.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Nice move HBOMaxDiscovery

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/psvideocontent/?et_rid=&et_cid=231130-VIDREMVL-AM-CSA-B-FLX&Linkid=231130-VIDREMVL-AM-CSA-B-FLX&emcid=em-pl-500377

Discovery Entitlements Affected Titles

As of 31 December 2023, due to our content licensing arrangements with content providers, you will no longer be able to watch any of your previously purchased Discovery content and the content will be removed from your video library.

We sincerely thank you for your continued support.

Thank you,

PlayStation Store

------

So if you were buying Mythbusters, Honey Boo Boo, NASA's Unexplained Nazi Base on the Moon,  etc. for whatever reason, doesn't matter, Discovery ordered it to be deleted.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 11:53 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Bookies. An LA bookie seeks to keep making a living in a time of legal sports betting, apps, and legal weed while his clients find different angles to not pay him. Charlie Sheen as himself running a poker game out of a highend rehab facility. Two eps in.

I was never much into the work of Chuck Lorre but I'll be damned if this show isn't the fucking shit. Well written, funny and a great cast 

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

First episode of the Regime (new series with Kate Winslet) came out last night. I guess it can be best described as a satire of an autocratic ruler with a fascist visual aesthetic. Really weird, not funny and not worth the time. Winslet’s character has this weird phobia of catching black mold and has her bodyguard follow her with moisture meter for the entire episode. After Night Country, HBO has lost any benefit of the doubt with me. Not going to bother watching any other episodes.

Edited by Macklemore

5 hours ago, Macklemore said:

First episode of the Regime (new series with Kate Winslet) came out last night. I guess it can be best described as a satire of an autocratic ruler with a fascist visual aesthetic. Really weird, not funny and not worth the time. Winslet’s character has this weird phobia of catching black mold and has her bodyguard follow her with moisture meter for the entire episode. After Night Country, HBO has lost any benefit of the doubt with me. Not going to bother watching any other episodes.

It's too soon to say if it'll be any good (I'm not confident it will be), but I do find it more than ironic that you, in particular, suddenly have a problem with a fictional portrayal of fascists and monarchies. Does it hit too close to home to appreciate a dark satirical comedy?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's too soon to say if it'll be any good (I'm not confident it will be), but I do find it more than ironic that you, in particular, suddenly have a problem with a fictional portrayal of fascists and monarchies. Does it hit too close to home to appreciate a dark satirical comedy?

I don’t have any problems with fictional and satirical portrayals of fascists or monarchies if they are well made like Super Troopers.

Anybody watch the three-part documentary "Love Has Won: The Cult of Mother God"? A buddy watched is last week and said it was pretty wild so we fired it up this weekend and blew through it. My ex-wife believed/s in some of the same shit and even went on a spiritual retreat to Mt Shasta back in 2018 when this group was there. I don't my ex was a direct follower of Mother God, mostly because of the substantial use of drugs/booze by Mother God. At any rate, it's a breezy 3-hour trip.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Anybody watch the three-part documentary "Love Has Won: The Cult of Mother God"? A buddy watched is last week and said it was pretty wild so we fired it up this weekend and blew through it. My ex-wife believed/s in some of the same shit and even went on a spiritual retreat to Mt Shasta back in 2018 when this group was there. I don't my ex was a direct follower of Mother God, mostly because of the substantial use of drugs/booze by Mother God. At any rate, it's a breezy 3-hour trip.

I watched it and enjoyed it. Can't imagine what you have to do to your brain to believe colloidal silver would be a good think to ingest in mass quantities.

I am a sucker for cult docs. Not as many twist and turns as the NXIVM cult doc(s), but worth the watch.

37 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I watched it and enjoyed it. Can't imagine what you have to do to your brain to believe colloidal silver would be a good think to ingest in mass quantities.

I am a sucker for cult docs. Not as many twist and turns as the NXIVM cult doc(s), but worth the watch.

I mean she was bluer than Violet Beauregard in Wonka by the end of things.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

About time we had a cult leader who manipulates cult members into sex (where the cult leader is female and the members are male). Finally some cult abuse equality!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I've heard of Banshee from "The Boys" thread.  Is it worth a watch?

Banshee was on Skinemax what a decade ago? Watching it on Max now. The lead from The Boys looks like he perpetually has a dip of snuff but maybe he does.

I always enjoy the warnings before this and any other enjoyable show. Graphic language, sex and violence, nudity and drug use. Yes please