HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

37 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I’m pretty sure I’d much rather hang out with Guy Fieri than any of the pretentious squares on this thread bashing Guy Fieri. We’d be pounding Jager bombs and slayin late-40s lake poon while crushing chili dogs all day long. Giddyup motherfuckers. We’re partyin’!

Don't forget to frost your tips first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has he ever tasted anything that wasn't awesome or the greatest?

I'm a sucker for Lakefront and Beachfront Bargain Hunt. I like the fact that it's all in one app now.

Yes he does. If you watch the shows you can tell when he doesn’t like a dish; he just doesn’t critique them overtly as that’s not why he’s there. He’s not fucking Robert Irvine rolling into town, telling you your food is shit, giving you an outrageously expensive new menu for your barrio taqueria, and fixing your marriage all at once.

It’s pretty amazing how so many great chefs have started being his pal. Waxman, Ripert, Izard, Voltaggio Brooke Williamson, Nancy Silverton all pal around with Guy and appear on all his shows. We’re he alive even Bourdain would be a judge on ToC.I

Bashing Guy is tres 2011.

Yes he does. If you watch the shows you can tell when he doesn’t like a dish; he just doesn’t critique them overtly as that’s not why he’s there. He’s not fucking Robert Irvine rolling into town, telling you your food is shit, giving you an outrageously expensive new menu for your barrio taqueria, and fixing your marriage all at once.

It’s pretty amazing how so many great chefs have started being his pal. Waxman, Ripert, Izard, Voltaggio Brooke Williamson, Nancy Silverton all pal around with Guy and appear on all his shows. We’re he alive even Bourdain would be a judge on ToC.I

Bashing Guy is tres 2011.

Yeah, when he doesn’t like it, he only tried a bite or so and goes on about the spices in it.

12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I’m pretty sure I’d much rather hang out with Guy Fieri than any of the pretentious squares on this thread bashing Guy Fieri. We’d be pounding Jager bombs and slayin late-40s lake poon while crushing chili dogs all day long. Giddyup motherfuckers. We’re partyin’!

I hope you're very happy together

Not sure if mentioned above, but "Love and Death" is a true-crime series about a church-related romance turned to murder in Wylie, TX in the late 70s/early 80s.  Jesse Plemons plays male lead, Elizabeth Olsen the female lead.  Fantastic sets from that era as well as a great soundtrack.  I'm only two episodes in to the seven that make up the series and I love it so far.

47 minutes ago, hornian said:

Yeah, unless you stop a show mid episode it's not on the keep watching tab. Annoying. 

Gentlemen, I have good news. 

They put out an update for rolu yesterday sometime (version 54.1), and it seems to have fixed the “continue watching” issues.

Not sure about other devices, but at the very least if they haven’t updated, they will very soon. 

On 6/8/2023 at 6:30 PM, irishtexan said:

I'd rather hang out with Sandra Lee. She knows her alcohol and we'd be pounding each other.

But you do you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the Harry Potter movies with my kid, and thinking about WB/HBO/MAX putting out a TV series based on the books (one season per book) and....there's no fucking way in hell they will even come close to matching the cast of the movies in terms of quality.  Just no fucking way. I've probably said it before, but it'd be like remaking Band of Brothers with a new cast.  Just not going to work.

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

It’s bewildering how bad this piece of shit app is.

Absolutely this. 

Even worse considering the hboMax app worked fine.

Anyone else notice that when you go back to watch something again, and it’s at the end where it stopped, it starts back with 2 secs left and goes onto the next almost immediately?

Fuckin dumb. 

• Drool 1

I’m watching “True Detective” Season 2 ( somehow i missed this season) so far it’s an absolute beating. Almost done with ep 2 and it’s just dull. 
Season 2 was pure shit and that's putting it nicely. Season 3 was better, though. Still not as good as season 1 though.

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Absolutely this. 

Even worse considering the hboMax app worked fine.

Anyone else notice that when you go back to watch something again, and it’s at the end where it stopped, it starts back with 2 secs left and goes onto the next almost immediately?

Fuckin dumb. 

I cant actually believe how shitty the app still is. Thought the bugs would be fixed by now. I've definitely noticed how, if you're watching a series, it tries to send you to the next episode before the current one is finished and you have to tell it to fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 1

This will be the last season of The Other Two
200.gif

My first reaction when I hear “toxic work environment” when it comes to Hollywood writing rooms is entitled brats that wouldn’t last 2 weeks at SNL. The reality seems to be that a lot of these sets do, in fact suck ass to work at, and a lot of it does come from SNL culture. Sounds like the two creators Sarah and Chris are dicks. I read somewhere that Tina Fey called them out and even said Lorne has “released monsters out in the world”. Who knows if it’s really that bad. Or if that’s the reason it’s over.

8 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

My first reaction when I hear “toxic work environment” when it comes to Hollywood writing rooms is entitled brats that wouldn’t last 2 weeks at SNL. The reality seems to be that a lot of these sets do, in fact suck ass to work at, and a lot of it does come from SNL culture. Sounds like the two creators Sarah and Chris are dicks. I read somewhere that Tina Fey called them out and even said Lorne has “released monsters out in the world”. Who knows if it’s really that bad. Or if that’s the reason it’s over.

Yeah read that too. Still sucks 

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

HBO is notorious for fucking up good shows just to end them, as they’re ready to move on.

But they do also have some really good stuff that they stuck with as well.

If you really want to jump down the rabbit hole, look into the crew that did Glee week in and week out. Absolutely makes ya sick. 

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

I think it's pretty pervasive throughout the movie and TV industry (and music as well), and it comes down to a lot of money is floating around, a lot of people that are fawned over by the media, assistants, studios, etc., and successes and failures play out in full view of the public, so a lot of stress.  And you can argue that it's the same conditions within professional sports.

And what makes it especially bad is that the people heaping out the abuse are somewhat protected in that they can get the peasants who are doing the grunt work (including actors/actresses that are not yet fully established) and various associated companies basically blacklisted, even if it's only with one studio or production company.  Well not all companies, but those just getting started, they can make life hell for them. At the very least, they can make life hell temporarily for them, and nobody will stand up for them.

Have a friend who has been involved in VFX for 20+ years, and because of his seniority, does a lot of management stuff (but still gets to get his hands dirty). He's had all manner of people in various capacities at studios, production companies, TV networks, etc. come in and threaten the future of their company and literally cuss out himself and others because those people are not happy that some change they want to make will cost a shit-ton more, or they aren't  happy with the FX they are seeing (which usually comes down to them not giving the VFX folks enough time or enough money for more people). They are now big enough (the company he works at) and sought after that they can be careful about who they work for so that problems are minimized.  In his early days, when they were doing smaller jobs with smaller budgets and shorter time frames, and when they had to take work with companies that had executives that were known assholes,  they'd have to bite the bullet and do whatever was asked because pissing off the wrong person or company could put them in a bind

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

On 6/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, Pam Cummings said:

I cant actually believe how shitty the app still is. Thought the bugs would be fixed by now. I've definitely noticed how, if you're watching a series, it tries to send you to the next episode before the current one is finished and you have to tell it to fuck off.

i was scrolling through the landing page last night, and the way the main page is, if i have the cursor over a show, the bottom half of the show pic is cut off.  then if i scroll down, it cursors on a new row, so i have to go back up.

also shows that i finished are still showing up on "continue watching", even though the finale is sitting there with a full progress bar.  white house plumbers, succession, and so forth, just clogging up my list.

i'm too lazy to explain it better or attach a pic, but yeah, it didn't used to be like this.

• Rage+1 1

I recently watched Deadwood for the first time (finished it last week)- enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't really know what to expect of it so my expectations weren't high, what a great surprise. Thinking about starting Treme next (haven't seen that one either). 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

I recently watched Deadwood for the first time (finished it last week)- enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't really know what to expect of it so my expectations weren't high, what a great surprise. Thinking about starting Treme next (haven't seen that one either). 

Interesting tidbit, regarding the goldmine there.

Gold was struck in 1876, and that's when people started showing up to stake claims, and we had the inconvenient arrangements with the Lakota that we had to completely violate, etc.  And it wasn't long before Hearst showed up and the Homestake Mine went to work for real.  And here's what just blows my mind:

The began taking gold out of the ground in 1876.   The year the mine finally closed?  2002.  

One. Hundred. Twenty. Six. Years. they dug gold out of the ground there.   It was a MASSIVE deposit.  40 million ounces, in fact.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed Treme.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, KaiserSoze said:

Don't forget to also watch the movie.

Spoiler

COCKSUCKER!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, KaiserSoze said:

While Deadwood may not be the greatest show of all time, it is definitely up there and it is probably my favorite to watch. I try and make a point of rewatching it once a year or so.

I think what keeps Deadwood in the almost legendary status isn’t the show but how the business side just fucked it up. Between HBO, the producers, show creators, other shows etc all pulled it into a black hole. It just stopped and then we got the movie. Cocksuckers!

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

HBO is notorious for that. 

A few of the many examples: Rome, Boardwalk Empire, GoT…

Seems to be their pattern with shows that have higher production costs underneath.

If Rome had come out just 5-6 years later, it might have gotten more seasons/not been compressed. They just didn't realize that Rome was paving the way for GoT, etc.  It's like SciFi not realizing in the early 2000s that Battlestar Galactica would be paving the way for a lot of sci-fi later on.

On 7/3/2023 at 11:18 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I think what keeps Deadwood in the almost legendary status isn’t the show but how the business side just fucked it up. Between HBO, the producers, show creators, other shows etc all pulled it into a black hole. It just stopped and then we got the movie. Cocksuckers!

I think what keeps Deadwood in the legendary status is it's content.

• Hook 'Em 1

You missed my point. The show was fucked because HBO couldn’t commit, the original runners left, it turned into a shitshow on the business side. The show needed three more seasons which finally got made into a movie. The content we have is excellence but it kinda just hit a brick wall.

Just discovered a series called "Warriors," which is kind of like "Peaky Blinders" but with Chinese immigrants, kung fu, and lots of tits set in San Francisco circa 1880. I've watched the first three episodes so far of the initial season after seeing an ad for the just-released, brand-new season which brought it to my attention.

I'm really digging it.

• Hook 'Em 4