2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

Yeah, I don't have any big problems with Dusty today.  A couple of us in the thread were saying James looked ok to go another inning.  It's also hard to second guess without knowing if Greinke will be able to go at all tomorrow or Friday if necessary.

I might have gone to Garcia as 1st or 2nd out of the pen today and seen if he could go 2-3 innings.  But they may be saving him to start Game 5 if necessary if they don't think Greinke can give them anything.

We're for damn sure in better shape than Oakland now though.  Enoli and Pressly got a day off and should be ready now to come back and pitch both games if needed.  Meanwhile, Petit has thrown in 3 straight and Hendriks went 3 innings today.  Oakland is going to have to rely on both to try to win the next 2 games.

Edited by WBT

Some thoughts:

- Josh James needs to follow BOB tf out of Houston. Dude is just not a good baseball player.

- We neeeeeed to bring springer back. 4 years 100mil range? Brantley would be nice too, but springer first. Appreciate Reddick's time here but wouldn't resign him.

- Pitching should be a lot better: Get Joe Smith back in the bullpen, promising pitchers like Enoli, Scrubb, Raley, Javier, B.Taylor (eh) will have good experience under their belts

- What do we do about Verlander? 33mil in final year of contract, not playing till 22. Keep? Cut?

- Dusty hasn't been bad this postseason but I still (selfishly) want Hinch back

• Hook 'Em 1

Some thoughts:

- We neeeeeed to bring springer back. 4 years 100mil range? Brantley would be nice too, but springer first. Appreciate Reddick's time here but wouldn't resign him.

- What do we do about Verlander? Cut?

4 years isn’t signing Springer unless the AAV starts with a 3. Interesting perspective on Reddick though. I’d probably offer him 4/$125M and hope he can be a suitable late inning defensive replacement.

Definitely cut JV to save cap space. That’s a no-brainer.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

4 years isn’t signing Springer unless the AAV starts with a 3. Interesting perspective on Reddick though. I’d probably offer him 4/$125M and hope he can be a suitable late inning defensive replacement.

For Reddick? Did you forget a decimal point? Are you sniffing glue?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

It’s a guaranteed contract.  It counts against the salary cap even if he gets cut. 

You want to pay Josh Fucking Reddick 4 yrs 125mil?  

Are you a Rangers fan? Gotta be a Rangers fan.

Yall can have him for 4 yrs 100 mil

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Last year one of my friends was in Seattle for work and randomly saw him wandering around Pike Place Market by himself one day when the Astros were in town for a series.

I feel like in 20 years all baseball fans everywhere (or at least Royals, DBacks and Astros fans) will be sitting around the bar talking about the old days and instead of Bill Brasky will be shouting Zack Greinke

55C816B1-6418-4C6F-B3C7-FA14277DB086.gif

if Greinke can't go though they need to get him off the roster so that we at least have another arm active.  Unfortunately those arms are just garbage players, but if we start getting beat down at least Sneed and replacement(Bielak I would guess) could take that load.  

48 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I got a bad feeling this is gonna be trying to get 4-5 good innings out of Javier and then 2-3 good innings out of Luis Garcia then get Paredes and Pressly in there to close it out 

If Greinke isn't available then do we have any other option?

I think the correct move is to step on their throats and close out the game with Javier yesterday.  Coming into the seventh inning our win probability for the game was likely north of 80%, and with it being an elimination game, you need to take advantage of the opportunity that is presented and do everything in your power to win that game and end the series as extending it will put us at a disadvantage whether we pitch Javier or not yesterday.  One of the primary jobs of the manager is to use your best pitchers in the most important innings, and it's unlikely the innings Javier pitches today will be more critical than the 7th-9th were yesterday.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1