EPL 2017-2018

sidis

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

On the other side of the spectrum, my small club is about to be relegated from the National League to the National League South. Torquay United was only two divisions away from Manchester City when I first picked the two clubs. Now they're 5 divisions away and headed in opposite directions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'd like to see Fulham and Villa back in the Premiership but I have nothing against Cardiff City if they get in. You earn that spot which is great. I wish NBC would get on the Championship just for the final playoff. 

I'd be okay with Villa ending up in the second guaranteed spot, but want the play-off winner to be Preston North End or a similarly obscure club. 

Stoke will feel they ought to have registered their first away win since October. Instead it was another substitute, Andy Carroll, who had the final say, lashing in a 90th-minute equaliser to spare West Ham an ignominious result. David Moyes’s team also had three second-half goals disallowed and it was a dramatic finale to a game that had taken an age to ignite.

Not that Karren Brady, the club’s vice-chairman, seemed too enthused. A quarter of an hour before kick-off, her Twitter feed pinged up a cheery message reminding television viewers to tune into her new show, Give It a Year, at 8pm, as if it had slipped her mind that a televised football match, involving her own team, was kicking off at precisely that time.

As PR own-goals go, it wasn’t the ideal way to start the night and the replies from West Ham’s fans were particularly fruity (“Give it a year? You’ve had eight,” being the general tone, expletives removed). Then the game kicked off and, for a long while, it was tempting to think there might have been people at home turning over from the football, just as she requested.

lul.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

On the other side of the spectrum, my small club is about to be relegated from the National League to the National League South. Torquay United was only two divisions away from Manchester City when I first picked the two clubs. Now they're 5 divisions away and headed in opposite directions.

wait... you can pick two clubs?

dammit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

rat farts!

Edited by yoladu
double posted.. not sure how to delete posts on this new fangled site.

2 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

In 2003 we flew Concorde and proceeded down the A303 to Port Isaac for a Saving Grace / Corn-a-wall quicktrip (without the green unfortunately).  We stayed at the The Slipway which features prominently in the film.  It's still rated 4 stars on google.

English hotels on the sea are drastically catastrophically over-rated.  An absolute rip-off.  Tintagel was cool, and the B-roads through Cornwall to the west of Glastonbury around Exmoor, Taunton and Glastonbury are amazing, as the hedge has grown together to form 1000-metre tunnels.  Bustles in the hedgerow.  But 200 quid a night was obscene.

The best thing on that trip was on the way down, literally off the A303 with it's own exit ramp, is Cadbury Castle which is a quick 20-minute hike after you pull off the motorway, from whence you can see Glastonbury Tor 12 miles off to the northeastwest, and quite honestly, it does make entire Arthurian postulate make a hell of a lot of sense.

Back to fitba.  English Seaside Hotels.  Just say NO.

Edited by Hagbard Celine
badgeo

31 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m an Arsenal guy with a soft spot for Watford since it’s the only place I’ve actually attended a match. You never forget your first...

I wouldn’t say I follow QPR, but I definitely root for them because of LonghornSean.

Edited by Goo Punch

I always wonder what it's like to be a supporter of a team that has a great history like Leeds but hasn't done shit since. Would that be similar to being a Nebraska fan? 

Also are ticket prices cut in half after a team is regulated and doubled if they are promoted? I always wondered how the economics works outside of the obvious TV money. 

I don’t follow all 20 EPL teams closely enough, nor do I know a ton about the rest of the leagues outside of their UEFA CL teams, but it’s always struck me how every league and world TOTY is always 100% occupied by players from the best handful of teams, which doesn’t jibe with any other sport I’ve ever watched. Maybe the 11 best players always do happen to play for the very best teams, but I doubt it.

It would be interesting to look at it compared to the Big 4.

MLB - can't really compare. They don't have a position by position "best player" award, Gold Glove isn't that.

NBA & NHL:
https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/nhl_all_star.html
http://www.nba.com/history/awards/all-nba-team
But the teams are probably so small, they might be top heavy.

NFL: Given the size of the teams, this might be where you see something close to the EPL:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_All-Pro_Team

You might also consider looking at the NCAA All-American Teams too.

Well, I'm certainly in camp Conte, I don't think he is the issue. I think the issue will always be the management at CFC (see UTRich rants). Our previous Technical Director quit on November 6, 2017 and we still haven't replaced him. We have become notorious in the past 5-10 years of being overtly difficult to work with on transfers and feel that likely falls on Roman (see Lukaku, Sandro). The other frustration currently is how we have handled players like Matic, Salah and KDB.  It seems if we had any sense at all we would be able to see the talent, but who knows.

The current replacements I wouldn't hate that are mentioned are Sarri (great teacher, but would he be provided enough time), Jardim (very versatile dealing with Monaco's selling). Past that it drops off.

Bipolar CFC is tough to deal with but Conte is the 2nd fastest Chelsea manager to 100 wins only behind the Special One. I'd hate to see him go, but I certainly expect him to.

• Like 1

Wenger finally out.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/merci-arsene

Arsène Wenger has issued the following statement:

“After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season.

“I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.

“I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

“I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special.

“I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high.

“To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.

"My love and support for ever.”

Arsene Wenger