2020 Democratic National Convention

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Focus on what you can do. Keep your eyes on the prize. Progressives are not and have never been the enemy. We share more values than many of you realize.

Vote Biden.

I get that, and I was saying that when you guys were tearing him down in a way that was much like our adversaries.

You’re right but you and people like you owe a damn apology.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Well of course not.  I vote for people based on what I think is going on inside their mind, not just what they are saying when literally reading carefully prepared statements.   Do you really have trouble seeing the difference?

Reading from a teleprompter is not easy. I’ve stood in front of one on the House Dias. And you are wrong: Biden did a good job. Maybe slow your roll and read some policy papers instead, Harvey Levin. 

But you’re just here to express concern, right? Trump’s deplorable, but you’re not sure Joe’s up for the task?  Maybe people need to step back and consider whether it’s worth voting given how broken the system is?

54E12D16-F45C-4B05-AB1F-1E29298768A4.jpeg

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

Is there another country in the world people are flocking to right now more than the US?  Not that I've heard.

New Zealand if we don’t get our shit together.  Lord knows I’m jealous of their leadership. 

4 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Less regulations.  Lower taxes.  Improved foreign policy positions (I don't demand foreign countries "like" our president), stronger immigration policies (legal is great, illegal is well, illegal), increased energy independence, separation from bullshit treaties and accords (Iran, Paris, etc...), more accountability to NATO countries, tougher stances on the UN, pushing through better judges.  Those are at the top of my mind.

Better judges? In my totally unqualified non legal background opinion I would have to say that the attorneys on this forum would be better judges than the ones I’ve seen ‘pushed’ through and believe me, I’ve see what these folks eat in the Steel Shank thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Don't agree with the analogy.  I just like people who communicate without being so "obvious" they are reading a prepared speech.  As I said, Obama was really great at this which is why I voted for him twice...Bill was great at it and even better off the cuff...Hillary just sucked and Trump really sucks, too.

Hillary was fine if folks listened to her.  She would have provided solid leadership against the present COVID situation.  Imagine fighting an epidemic with someone who pushed for and helped implement universal healthcare.  Damn, she probably would have pushed for more testing earlier too.  

Whatever would have happened, the loss wouldn't be 170k and counting.  But then the low bar of doing nothing, set by the imp in charge, isn't a bragging point.  And unfortunately, his followers are doing more than nothing by continuing to ignore and spread it.  

This time next week, with nothing positive to point to, the FOX and Republican leadership will be flinging alternative facts against the wall while making fun of people with speech impediments, the fake libruhl media, and how Dems want to release gangs and felons on American towns.  Come for the name calling, stay for the possible reoccurrence of diatribes against POWs and wounded Vets.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Got it.  So you are voting for Trump....again.  Why are you posting on this thread?  A lot of the stuff you said is actually BS FOX NEWS talking points.

Don't watch Fox News. 

Sorry to see you aren't interested in any kind of rationally formed alternative opinions.  I see a lot of that these days.

Biden showed charisma tonight.  All the pictures they used showed him shaking hands, hugging, touching a shoulder, leaning in...all those things he does with physical contact that's a way he connects with people.  Not some gross touchy feely thing they have accused himself of time and again.     By doing so they normalized regular gregarious human contact, erasing the image concocted by his detractors with selected pictures.  First subtle step to returning some normalcy.

Hillary never had that charisma.  Bill did, but Hillary was a stuffed shirt.  While she was competent, she lacked that likability factor with too many people.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

😭 😭 😭 

This undermines the Rights attacks against Biden's sometimes speech impediment. They'll do it anyway because low hanging fruit and they're crappy people.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Hillary was fine if folks listened to her.  She would have provided solid leadership against the present COVID situation.  Imagine fighting an epidemic with someone who pushed for and helped implement universal healthcare.  Damn, she probably would have pushed for more testing earlier too.  

Whatever would have happened, the loss wouldn't be 170k and counting.  But then the low bar of doing nothing, set by the imp in charge, isn't a bragging point.  And unfortunately, his followers are doing more than nothing by continuing to ignore and spread it.  

This time next week, with nothing positive to point to, the FOX and Republican leadership will be flinging alternative facts against the wall while making fun of people with speech impediments, the fake libruhl media, and how Dems want to release gangs and felons on American towns.  Come for the name calling, stay for the possible reoccurrence of diatribes against POWs and wounded Vets.  

See, I just completely disagree with that.   We've tested 70MM people thus far and are tracking COVID better than anywhere in the world, with the next nearest country being India, which has 4x our population but has only tested half the number of people we have.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-total-tests-for-covid-19

Travel to Europe a bit and talk to people who have lived there their entire lives, get a sense of their healthcare and what it is, and then try to rationalize that we could even remotely have something similar.  It won't ever happen, and probably for good reasons.  And that's not a knock on their system, things are just completely different here compared to anywhere else in the world.

• Fuck You 6

6 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Don't watch Fox News. 

Sorry to see you aren't interested in any kind of rationally formed alternative opinions.  I see a lot of that these days.

Do you believe that Trump and Biden are similarly corrupt or that there are major differences between the two on that?

19 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Less regulations.  Lower taxes.  Improved foreign policy positions (I don't demand foreign countries "like" our president), stronger immigration policies (legal is great, illegal is well, illegal), increased energy independence, separation from bullshit treaties and accords (Iran, Paris, etc...), more accountability to NATO countries, tougher stances on the UN, pushing through better judges.  Those are at the top of my mind.

What a fucking joke

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Biden showed charisma tonight.  All the pictures they used showed him shaking hands, hugging, touching a shoulder, leaning in...all those things he does with physical contact that's a way he connects with people.  Not some gross touchy feely thing they have accused himself of time and again.     By doing so they normalized regular gregarious human contact, erasing the image concocted by his detractors with selected pictures.  First subtle step to returning some normalcy.

Amen - he looked Presidential because he is . . . Presidential. 

. . . and use the ignore feature to ignore trolls of all types. 

Edited by washparkhorn

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

They're all wrong except the lower taxes part.

So the fact my business is now saving tens of thousands of dollars per year for what were previously bullshit TCPA compliance rules is wrong?  That, along with other reduced regs, has allowed us to hire 8-9 additional employees now since 2017.

• Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Do you believe that Trump and Biden are similarly corrupt or that there are major differences between the two on that?

No, I think they are both corrupt but in completely different ways.  This country should never have 20+ year career politicans, much less 50 year politicians.  And I'm a person that says "always and never are two words you should always remember to never use."

Edited by McCroskey
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

So the fact my business is now saving tens of thousands of dollars per year for what were previously bullshit TCPA compliance rules is wrong?  That, along with other reduced regs, has allowed us to hire 8-9 additional employees now since 2017.

You’re a telemarketer? Ok, stop calling me.

No wonder we all started getting more calls that no one wants. We solved this problem now you want to got back to undesirably phone calls. Get into a new business.

Edited by Texaspython
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You run a call center?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Whoopdie fucking do. This country is fucked up from top to bottom because of Donald Trump. He's a piece of human garbage and the people who support him are bad Americans.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

See, I just completely disagree with that.   We've tested 70MM people thus far and are tracking COVID better than anywhere in the world, with the next nearest country being India, which has 4x our population but has only tested half the number of people we have.

Travel to Europe a bit and talk to people who have lived there their entire lives, get a sense of their healthcare and what it is, and then try to rationalize that we could even remotely have something similar.  It won't ever happen, and probably for good reasons.  And that's not a knock on their system, things are just completely different here compared to anywhere else in the world.

Yeah, things are better in most of the western countries not named the United States.

3 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

When I travel, I see a lot of Americans in whatever countries pharmacies.  But you don't have to travel to Europe for an example; Yuma is an American border town where Americans regularly cross into Mexico for dental and medical needs. Elderly Americans come down over the winter months and stay in Yuma because it's warmer.  I've been told by several of these Trump voters, my parents and their friends, that there was nothing wrong with America's healthcare while failing to see the irony in getting all of their medical needs taken care of in Mexico.  Tijuana and Nogales are other examples and I'm pretty sure before Canada closed their borders, they too were prime for serving American medical needs.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, David Dennison said:

Yeah, things are better in most of the western countries not named the United States.

Name a western country anything remotely like the United States as it relates to our history, constitution, or population.  Can you? 

Just come out and say you are voting for Trump. Own your opinion.

Just now, Irwin F Fletcher said:
36 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Just come out and say you are voting for Trump. Own your opinion.

Undecided.  Not afraid to "own an opinion."

10 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

This country should never have 20+ year career politicans, much less 50 year politicians.  And I'm a person that says "always and never are two words you should always remember to never use."

I do agree with this.  But today, we gotta go with what seems familiar and the VP is a better bridge towards that. Trump was a response to America electing a black man.  Right now, Dems have to win and not battle each other on Liberal talking points.  Let's reverse some damage and win 2020 before things get redistricted and more gets rolled back.  Additionally, the olds are going to believe in Biden talking about threats to Social Security more so than a younger person just because he's old, and white, and not threatening to their snowflake insecurities.    

Just now, Fozzz said:

This country is beyond fucked. I fear what is to come later this decade. 

Well excuse us for trying to elect people we hope might be able to salvage it.   Perhaps we should just all adopt a nihilistic attitude and not even try to fix it.   

I agree that it's going to be a mess.  The costs associated with this horrid response to Covid will hamstring us for decades, if for nothing else but the additional debt.  But just as devastating has been the damage to our position of leadership globally.  I will also admit that we've done some shady diplomatic shit, but I also can point to the Marshall Plan, the Berlin Air lift and other humanitarian missions.  We CAN be a nation of good humans, if we want to be.  If we fight for our core beliefs as a country that cares and leads, that spreads human rights and democracy.  To do that we have to wrestle legislative power away from those self serving people who get a little richer because of some reduced regulations.

But yes, historically you have made points about the US's darker, more ulterior motives around the globe.  I won't deny those things happened, but to fight that we as citizens need to be more aware of who we elect to represent us, to expect them to run our country in a transparent manner.   We haven't had that for decades now.

Just maybe we've had enough burn down now to wake us up and demand better governance.   We need to find more Charlie Wilsons, send them to Washington or Austin and stand behind them.

That's my hope.  I won't give it up easily.

13 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

DA6CCFEC-2A21-40AC-BCFA-D675AF691E39.jpeg

It's amazing how numbers of confirmed cases so closely correlate to the number of tests given.  Here, I just selected a large number of European countries, and Japan, to compare to that graph above.  Amazing our positive rates are also higher, almost as if it's statistical probability.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-total-tests-for-covid-19?time=2020-02-22..latest&country=USA~JPN~CAN~IRL~GBR~France%2C tests performed~DEU~GRC~ESP~PRT

Edited by McCroskey