2020 Democratic National Convention

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Dude what the fuck are you talking about?  He was fine. You are picking nonexistent nits.  You basically just complained Clayton Kershaw wasn’t Sandy Koufax.

Don't agree with the analogy.  I just like people who communicate without being so "obvious" they are reading a prepared speech.  As I said, Obama was really great at this which is why I voted for him twice...Bill was great at it and even better off the cuff...Hillary just sucked and Trump really sucks, too.

Just now, McCroskey said:

Don't agree with the analogy.  I just like people who communicate without being so "obvious" they are reading a prepared speech.  As I said, Obama was really great at this which is why I voted for him twice...Bill was great at it and even better off the cuff...Hillary just sucked and Trump really sucks, too.

Are you actually saying your sole issue on voting is ... who reads a teleprompter best?  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

You vote for people based on how they read from a teleprompter?  You should change why you vote.  Or just not.

Edited by Bateshorn

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

You vote for people based on how they read from a teleprompter?  You should change why you vote.  Or just not.

Well of course not.  I vote for people based on what I think is going on inside their mind, not just what they are saying when literally reading carefully prepared statements.   Do you really have trouble seeing the difference?

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Wait - do you honestly believe Donald Trump loves America?

My God are you kidding???  In what other country in the history of the world would Trump be a billionaire and literally voted to be leader of the free world? Anywhere else he's outcast, jailed, and/or killed. 

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

All the people watching Trump’s Hannity interview won’t ever see the real full Biden speech but I’ll be curious to see what clips they pull from that because Trump cannot match that. 

They will doctor the video, and their rubes will eat it up.

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Wait - do you honestly believe Donald Trump loves America?

He loves the gullible peasants who line his pockets and adulate him.  That's about it.

My God are you kidding???  In what other country in the history of the world would Trump be a billionaire and literally voted to be leader of the free world? Anywhere else he's outcast, jailed, and/or killed. 

Well someone said this -

One guy loves America. The other is a racist grifter that despises your existence.

Obviously meaning - Biden loves America and Trump is a racist grifter that despises your existence.

And your replied -

Careful how you put that. I think they all "love" America and any of them would probably despise my existence if I didn't agree with them. God our system sucks.

Stating “they all love America” in response to the claim that only Biden loves America and Trump does not implies you believe Trump does love America.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Democrats - don't forget to vote. Hell or high water - vote.

And don't alienate likely Biden voters. Hubris and overconfidence created the results in 2016. Do not rinse and repeat.

No more in-party fighting; no more punching down. It is a recipe for disaster. 

Hook 'em. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I was already voting for Joe Biden or anyone else who ran against Donald Trump.

This right here is what I think is fucked up.  Trump SUCKS but Jesus, why do we have to set the bar so low that we can't go find someone who isn't a career policitian and part of the establishment that just tells us what we want to hear in prepared statements?  I'm sure people will say "well sure, anyone is better for Trump" but I disagree.  Just don't understand why the country can't set their sights higher.  We constantly fall back into a comfort zone with who we "know."

Pete would have been better...Yang would even be better in many respects IMO.

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well someone said this -

Obviously meaning - Biden loves America and Trump is a racist grifter that despises your existence.

And your replied -

Stating “they all love America” in response to the claim that only Biden loves America and Trump does not implies you believe Trump does love America.

I think Biden loves America, and I think Trump loves America.  And each for very different reasons.

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

This right here is what I think is fucked up.  Trump SUCKS but Jesus, why do we have to set the bar so low that we can't go find someone who isn't a career policitian and part of the establishment that just tells us what we want to hear in prepared statements?  I'm sure people will say "well sure, anyone is better for Trump" but I disagree.  Just don't understand why the country can't set their sights higher.  We constantly fall back into a comfort zone with who we "know."

So straight up do you think trump is better than Biden?

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Democrats - don't forget to vote. Hell or high water - vote.

And don't alienate likely Biden voters. Hubris and overconfidence created the results in 2016. Do not rinse and repeat.

No more in-party fighting; no more punching down. It is a recipe for disaster. 

Hook 'em. 

Tell your boy bad teammate that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joe's speech was great.  He addressed the nation as a people and touched on all walks.  Really proud of this man.  He showed compassion, empathy for Americans, and direction. The man was on a mission and was extremely relatable and safe, especially during the present day conditions.  Above all he showed leadership.  

Republicans have to be rethinking about having Joe share the stage with their candidate imp for more debates.  Every time they share the stage it's going to be a public a visual reminder of what a clown their candidate is. And then DOTARD will speak.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, TexEx15 said:

So straight up do you think trump is better than Biden?

In many ways no, and in many ways yes.  I think we're in a clusterfuck of a situation.

I despise Trump as a person and a statesman, but it's hard to argue the success of certain policies and political tactics.

I like Biden as a person and statesman, but simply cannot understand some of the positions and policies he says he would enact.  This might make me sound even worse but personally I don't even think Joe believes a lot of the stuff he says himself...but he's letting himself get pulled farther left due to political pressures.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Listening to that speech was like coming in from yard work all hot, sweaty and itchy and getting into the shower and enjoying that feeling of cleansing off all the dirt and weeds. It is so refreshing and makes you feel sane again. Then you can think to enjoy your accomplishments in the yard. It feels really good to have someone I can rely on to lead. He'll do it by listening to experts and by willing himself and everyone around him to do their damn job. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

In many ways no, and in many ways yes.  I think we're in a clusterfuck of a situation.

I despise Trump as a person and a statesman, but it's hard to argue the success of certain policies and political tactics.

I like Biden as a person and statesman, but simply cannot understand some of the positions and policies he says he would enact.  This might make me sound even worse but personally I don't even think Joe believes a lot of the stuff he says himself...but he's letting himself get pulled farther left due to political pressures.

Which of Trump's policies and tactics would you say have been successful?

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

lulz, Biden would be considered a conservative in most European countries. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Joe's speech was great.  He addressed the nation as a people and touched on all walks.  Really proud of this man.  He showed compassion, empathy for Americans, and direction. The man was on a mission and was extremely relatable and safe, especially during the present day conditions.  Above all he showed leadership.  

Republicans have to be rethinking about having Joe share the stage with their candidate imp for more debates.  Every time they share the stage it's going to be a public a visual reminder of what a clown their candidate is. And then DOTARD will speak.  

Debates are off the cuff...and that's simply not Joe's strength regardless of how good he was tonight.  Personally, I don't see any way the DNC will let him do a single debate...the upside is minimal and the downsides are tremendous.   Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Were you following the long (and for the most part, polite) discussions in the CR before the primaries? Many of the folks on this specific thread had a fave and a lot of us had to go into the corner and gather ourselves when one by one our fave didn’t make the cut. The Democratic party is diverse, that’s a strength but it was pointed out by (whoever you are take a bow) someone on here that it also makes it hard because it is much easier to coalesce around hate and fear. 
It’s been a rough time and the last seventh months absolutely awful. Joe is the nominee and I’d like him to win. 
Bur one thing I learned, and a lot of it is due to learning more on Surly in this forum, is that I’ve been remiss in my civic duty. I’ve always voted. Always. But I’ve never been active. And now I am. And I’d like to raise the bar as well. So let’s get busy and do that. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Tell your boy bad teammate that.

Focus on what you can do. Keep your eyes on the prize. Progressives are not and have never been the enemy. We share more values than many realize.

Vote Biden.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexArcher said:

Which of Trump's policies and tactics would you say have been successful?

Less regulations.  Lower taxes.  Improved foreign policy positions (I don't demand foreign countries "like" our president), stronger immigration policies (legal is great, illegal is well, illegal), increased energy independence, separation from bullshit treaties and accords (Iran, Paris, etc...), more accountability to NATO countries, tougher stances on the UN, pushing through better judges.  Those are at the top of my mind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 9

8 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

There are literally no ways in which Donald Trump is better. He has been a complete and utter failure as president.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Less regulations.  Lower taxes.  Improved foreign policy positions (I don't demand foreign countries "like" our president), stronger immigration policies (legal is great, illegal is well, illegal), increased energy independence, separation from bullshit treaties and accords (Iran, Paris, etc...), more accountability to NATO countries, tougher stances on the UN, pushing through better judges.  Those are at the top of my mind.

Got it.  So you are voting for Trump....again.  Why are you posting on this thread?  A lot of the stuff you said is actually BS FOX NEWS talking points.

• Hook 'Em 6

They're all wrong except the lower taxes part.

• Hook 'Em 1