Hulu, other streaming/ small channels.

BNB

• 4 weeks later...

New Alien series coming to Hulu/FX  will tie into the original two movies in terms of aesthetics.  Spoilers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/noah-hawley-prometheus-alien-prequel-fx-1235787276/

Spoiler

Hawley was asked by interviewer Eric Deggans about Alien, which is set on Earth about 70 years into the future, predating the feature film franchise. 

Right out of the gate, Hawley showed his understanding of the franchise by giving a rather perfect description of what Alien is really about: “The thing with Alien is that it’s not just a great monster movie. It’s the story of humanity trapped between its primordial parasitic past and its AI future, and they’re both trying to kill us. So, there’s nowhere to go. It’s really a story of does humanity deserve to survive? Does humanity’s arrogance in thinking that we’re no longer food and its arrogance in creating these AI beings who we think will do what we tell them — but ultimately might lose their mind — is there a way out?”

-----

Deggans asked Hawley if he’s using the backstory provided in Scott’s more recent Alien prequel films — 2012’s Prometheus and 2017’s Alien: Covenant — which take place closer in the franchise’s timeline to Hawley’s own show than those first two movies. The films introduced a controversial backstory whereby the aliens were manufactured as a bioweapon by a mysterious race dubbed The Engineers. 

“Ridley and I have talked about this — and many, many elements of the show,” Hawley says. “For me, and for a lot of people, this ‘perfect life form’ — as it was described in the first film — is the product of millions of years of evolution that created this creature that may have existed for a million years out there in space. The idea that, on some level, it was a bioweapon created half an hour ago, that’s just inherently less useful to me. And in terms of the mythology, what’s scary about this monster, is that when you look at those first two movies, you have this retro-futuristic technology. You have giant computer monitors, these weird keyboards … You have to make a choice. Am I doing that? Because in the prequels, Ridley made the technology thousands of years more advanced than the technology of Alien, which is supposed to take place in those movies’ future. There’s something about that that doesn’t really compute for me. I prefer the retro-futurism of the first two films. And so that’s the choice I’ve made — there’s no holograms. The convenience of that beautiful Apple store technology is not available to me.”

On 12/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, Foosters said:

SIAP on one of the other dozen threads to discuss current television shows, but anyone catch "Collin from Accounts" on Paramount? 

Wife and I thought it was hilarious. Two leads are excellent together. Bit of a "Catastrophe" vibe. 

Thanks for the rec.  Wife and I just started and we laughed throughout the pilot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:05 AM, DDD Dad said:

This turned out to be…not good.   Lots of filler and a stupid ending. 

Yes. I would have preferred to just follow the flashback story and leave all the futuristic stuff on the cutting room floor.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, Foosters said:

SIAP on one of the other dozen threads to discuss current television shows, but anyone catch "Collin from Accounts" on Paramount? 

Wife and I thought it was hilarious. Two leads are excellent together. Bit of a "Catastrophe" vibe. 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:50 PM, Post Oak said:

Thanks for the rec.  Wife and I just started and we laughed throughout the pilot.  

Just finished this one in 3 days.  It's really funny.  The two leads are married in real life.  They're great together on the show. 

It's funny, as hell, awkward, sweet and well worth your time. 

I can't wait for s2 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 9:48 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

Started Death and other Details on Hulu.   It is derivative as fuck - combo Knives Out meets White Lotus meets Only Murders.. meets Succession.  

That said, first episode was intriguing.  May or may not deserve its own thread.  

The last two episodes of S1 streamed last night.   I enjoyed this series more than I thought I would.  Eps 9 and 10 caught me off guard with the resolution.  I also enjoyed the flashbacks with the present day Imogene watching and seeing events through more mature eyes.  Leila was easy on the eyes as well.

I will watch Season 2 if it exists, and if not too much time passes before I forget that I enjoyed Season 1.

10 hours ago, twosheds said:

The last two episodes of S1 streamed last night.   I enjoyed this series more than I thought I would.  Eps 9 and 10 caught me off guard with the resolution.  I also enjoyed the flashbacks with the present day Imogene watching and seeing events through more mature eyes.  Leila was easy on the eyes as well.

I will watch Season 2 if it exists, and if not too much time passes before I forget that I enjoyed Season 1.

I started it and watched the first two episodes as they came out and then got distracted and forgot about it.  Thanks for reminding me.  I started it back up tonight

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We Were the Lucky Ones on Hulu. We’ve been getting some good WW2 content lately (Masters of the Air, All the Light We Cannot See, The New Look)

Edited by Js1