2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

22 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

of the top 30 players currently on the leaderboards, only 4  put up that number on Spyglass. Once the round is over there will be avg scores for each course, somewhere on-line

Got to play Spyglass about 20 years ago and tore it up. Thankfully wasn’t prosecuted for the damage.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

Got to play Spyglass about 20 years ago and tore it up. Thankfully wasn’t prosecuted for the damage.

I played it about 15 years ago, because we couldn't get a Pebble tee time (didn't stay on property, so you can only make them 1 day ahead). 
Agree, once you head up the hill, away from the ocean it gets tough, and narrow. Not sure it was worth $350 but it is a lifetime memory. Still want to go back an play Pebble; but if you are out there you should play Pacific Grove Muni - the back 9 in on the ocean and was desgned by Jack Neville, who did the original PB layout. The front 9 is as muni as a muni can be, with fences to keep your ball out of the apartments, and on the 8th or 9th tee we took 2 steps back off the tee and tried to putt a ball down the road to the ocean

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I played it about 15 years ago, because we couldn't get a Pebble tee time (didn't stay on property, so you can only make them 1 day ahead). 
Agree, once you head up the hill, away from the ocean it gets tough, and narrow. Not sure it was worth $350 but it is a lifetime memory. Still want to go back an play Pebble; but if you are out there you should play Pacific Grove Muni - the back 9 in on the ocean and was desgned by Jack Neville, who did the original PB layout. The front 9 is as muni as a muni can be, with fences to keep your ball out of the apartments, and on the 8th or 9th tee we took 2 steps back off the tee and tried to putt a ball down the road to the ocean

Spy is 415 now. Without a cart or caddie.  Played there,  Spanish and pebble 3 weeks ago. Buddies kid is an assistant at spy so we played all 3 for a helluva deal. 

Spy is my favorite of the 3 and it isn't close. Would love to check out the muni  next time I'm there. 

3 hours ago, pops said:

Spy is 415 now. Without a cart or caddie.  Played there,  Spanish and pebble 3 weeks ago. Buddies kid is an assistant at spy so we played all 3 for a helluva deal. 

Spy is my favorite of the 3 and it isn't close. Would love to check out the muni  next time I'm there. 

Agreed, Pebble is a $30 golf course with million dollar views

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Agreed, Pebble is a $30 golf course with million dollar views

It is probably worth more than 30 bucks... but I'll tell you what it isn't worth. 575. Plus 45 a guy for a cart. Plus 90 a guy plus tip for a caddie. Plus a 2 night minimum stay which at the cheapest is 500 a night. Can easily hit a grand a night. So best case scenario,  with no caddie and riding you're looking at 1620 to play pebble. Oh... and they also have not guaranteed to finish times. You might be on 15 and the Marshall comes and gets you and says you're done. Discount for those times?  None. And they pump out foursomes all day long like it's the star wars ride at Disneyland. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I guess it was almost 40 years ago as a kid on a family vacation to visit grandparents in Clovis that we spent a weekend at Carmel-by-the-Sea, did the 17 mile drive, etc. We briefly stopped at PB and somewhere there's a pic of 11 or 12 year old me in a Disneyland sweater standing by the 18th green. I can't believe they let us get close enough for a photo back then. I'm sure they don't these days. My game is too shitty to embarrass myself on any of the MP courses. I'd be happy to spend an hour on the practice green putting then go to the Tap Room for a whiskey or two.

Anyway, to get back on track, I am pulling like crazy for Jordan to continue on this road back. I think it was Bones who said last week at the Phoenix Open, he's playing golf again. He and Greller seem like they're spending less time agonizing over what shot to play before every stroke. A win this weekend would be huge for his confidence.

9 hours ago, pops said:

It is probably worth more than 30 bucks... but I'll tell you what it isn't worth. 575. Plus 45 a guy for a cart. Plus 90 a guy plus tip for a caddie. Plus a 2 night minimum stay which at the cheapest is 500 a night. Can easily hit a grand a night. So best case scenario,  with no caddie and riding you're looking at 1620 to play pebble. Oh... and they also have not guaranteed to finish times. You might be on 15 and the Marshall comes and gets you and says you're done. Discount for those times?  None. And they pump out foursomes all day long like it's the star wars ride at Disneyland. 

Truth - I've told people it is about $2 grand to play Pebble and they tell me it's "only"$600 - then I explain the 2 day minimum on-site stay, and to address GOTJ point, when we went 15 years ago we had Sunday brunch in the clubhouse, bought some overpriced souvenirs to bring home and then walked out to the 18th green. If they let our group out there they'd let anyone. It is majestic, and I felt like I was walking on golf history. But I need to win the lottery or inherit some money before I'd pay $2G to play it.
Also, went to Carmel-by-the-Sea with Mrs Fairway the year after we got married, and you can walk down the beach and up the dunes to get near the 10th green, but if you are seen they will ask you to leave the course pretty quickly, but you do get a quick looksie from up there.

Oh yeah - go Jordan

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

We too were planning to play PB but it was unavailable for some reason. Ended up on Spyglass and The Links at Spanish Bay. Think it was on the Links when we teed off the fog was so thick couldn't see more than 50 yards.

Fortunately it was all paid for by IBM. Now I'm relegated to Vaaler Creek in Blanco, which isn't bad for the $22 I pay.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

about 15 year ago when I lived in the Bay Area one of my roommates folks lived in Pacific Grove, so we would head down there 5-6 times a year to dive/kayak/fuckaround in Monterey. Probably played PG Muni 20 times. Greens fee were like 20-35 depending on time of day/week. Best value in golf. Front 9 completely forgettable. Back 9 is bad ass. Never played PB, but played Spanish Bay and Spyglass a few times thanks to the Dukes Card. If you plan on playing those courses, buy a Dukes membership. I just checked and its $360 for the year. You and everyone in your foursome can play SB/Spyglass for about 40% off. Its a ridiculously good deal, pays for itself in one round. Even Del Monte is a fun little course.

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/del-monte-golf-course/membership/

• Hook 'Em 3

Spieth -- Driver in fairway on #2 (Par 5)

• Underclubs 5iron short right from 222yds out.  (wrong club per announcers??)
  • Seagull on green causing problems  😋
  • Terrible 3rd shot, chunks to just short of green.
  • Poor lag putt from off green... leaves tricky 5ft downhiller
  • Bogey

5 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

seems to me the chip shot was just a choke, no way he was trying to bounce that up on the green

Yeah, that was a terrible effort for a PGA player... just lost focus maybe??

With higher winds later, guess I'll crack my 1st beer and watch this rollercoaster round.  

😋

Edited by LTtxfan

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spieth -- Driver in fairway on #2 (Par 5)

• Underclubs 5iron short right from 222yds out.  (wrong club per announcers??)
  • Seagull on green causing problems  😋
  • Terrible 3rd shot, chunks to just short of green.
  • Poor lag putt from off green... leaves tricky 5ft downhiller
  • Bogey

I would imagine 220 is a very full 5 for Spieth assuming no wind and hitting level with the green.