Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Apparently, he played the most snaps of all the safeties. If we can get to a Catalon/Williams duo by the end of the year getting the most snaps then the pass defense will be much better. Catalon will probably be on a pitch count for a good portion of the season.

A great pass rush makes the secondary much better because they don't have to cover WRs as long. 

It's great to hear Cat/Williams duo together for more plays.  

Poor Jerrin will continue to be isolated and attacked on the backend after film got out from bama game.  Watts better get a good jam on the line or he can get beat over the top.  Quality safety play is extremely important to be a championship team -- they are the last line of defense.  😁

• Like 1

Watching the game, I saw two plays that Burke blew up by just reading the offense properly. I’m sure I missed more. On one, he was on all fours, ready to rush, saw a shift, read that it was a WR screen, stood up and pushed his blocker to the outside, forcing the play inside for a 2 yard gain. The other was a perfect RB screen read.

He didn’t get a stat on either one, but it plays well in film study. If we can beat the OLine consistently AND properly read and react, the sky is the limit for this group.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This worries me about KU, they exposed Thompson last year in coverage down the field. They are going to attack Thompson and Watts on Saturday. Need the DL to go crazy again.

You know this is wrong, right? Just to confirm I watched pretty much all KUs completions over 10 yards from last year. Guess who had no responsibility for any of them?

Who told you that safeties make all the plays and that 4.3 guys running 50 yards downfield are easy covers? That seems to be the narrative now. Oddly enough Xavier Worthy has toasted Bamas ass two years running including a top flight frosh safety this year and it hasn’t registered that shit ain’t easy. I guess their talent on the backend is dogshit.

Do you know what kinda WR can’t beat a safety with the whole field available? A shitty WR.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You know this is wrong, right? Just to confirm I watched pretty much all KUs completions over 10 yards from last year. Guess who had no responsibility for any of them?

Who told you that safeties make all the plays and that 4.3 guys running 50 yards downfield are easy covers? That seems to be the narrative now. Oddly enough Xavier Worthy has toasted Bamas ass two years running including a top flight frosh safety this year and it hasn’t registered that shit ain’t easy. I guess their talent on the backend is dogshit.

Do you know what kinda WR can’t beat a safety with the whole field available? A shitty WR.

I don think anyone said it is an easy cover, but opposing OCs have targeted Safeties and Watts recently. Just is what it is. Right now 3 of the top 4 safeties would all be considered athletically limited, but high football IQ. The secondary overall is not fast. Secondary has given up 11 explosives in the pass game in 4 games (13 in total). That is with a DL dominating and facing some questionable passing attacks.  It is probably the weakest part of the defense right now and opposing game plans agree. Given how well the front is playing vs the run, it is going to continue. 

• Rage+1 1

A great pass rush makes the secondary much better because they don't have to cover WRs as long. 
It's great to hear Cat/Williams duo together for more plays.  
Poor Jerrin will continue to be isolated and attacked on the backend after film got out from bama game.  Watts better get a good jam on the line or he can get beat over the top.  Quality safety play is extremely important to be a championship team -- they are the last line of defense. 

Since the Burton-Thompson matchup has got y’all in a tizzy, I challenge you to think about the Worthy TD versus Bama. (We won’t interject Johntay Cook over the BU safety). Then think about Bama-Ole Miss. Why didn’t Ole Miss attack the shit out of that safety?

Deep safeties can’t match WRs. So yes any coach worth a shit will attack that. And any DC worth a shit won’t allow it. At least not continually. So maybe Ole Miss doesn’t have a Worthy. Or maybe Bama didn’t get caught in that situation. Or maybe the Qb misfired.

Baldwin and Burton are speed guys. Not just everyone can replicate that.

Then to favor Catalon over Thompson when Catalon was the safety on the Baylor deep throw to Baldwin is odd. That said Thompson/Catalon are similar players so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them not paired up versus passing teams. And for the past year plus, Thompson has been the better football player.

But it's fair to critique the secondary.  There have been mistakes that need to be reduced, sometimes it's just improper positioning for the coverage called.   And Cat/Jerrin are definitely slower safeties so they will continue to be attacked.

Just glad that Cat seems to process plays quickly, so often he is in the right spot to cover the play.   

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Since the Burton-Thompson matchup has got y’all in a tizzy, I challenge you to think about the Worthy TD versus Bama. (We won’t interject Johntay Cook over the BU safety). Then think about Bama-Ole Miss. Why didn’t Ole Miss attack the shit out of that safety?

Deep safeties can’t match WRs. So yes any coach worth a shit will attack that. And any DC worth a shit won’t allow it. At least not continually. So maybe Ole Miss doesn’t have a Worthy. Or maybe Bama didn’t get caught in that situation. Or maybe the Qb misfired.

Baldwin and Burton are speed guys. Not just everyone can replicate that.

Then to favor Catalon over Thompson when Catalon was the safety on the Baylor deep throw to Baldwin is odd. That said Thompson/Catalon are similar players so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them not paired up versus passing teams. And for the past year plus, Thompson has been the better football player.

His speed was on display on a long Wyoming run.  I am not sure saying look how a true freshman Safety looks vs one of the most dangerous WR in the nation is the most meaningful data point. Worthy vs any true freshman is a mismatch. People are pointing out that the Texas safeties are vulnerable. You seem to concede that pt. We both know that neither are going to run a 4.5. It just is a fact of life with this defense. I get your point, but the truth probably lies somewhere between your comments and the initial comment

His speed was on display on a long Wyoming run.  I am not sure saying look how a true freshman Safety looks vs one of the most dangerous WR in the nation is the most meaningful data point. Worthy vs any true freshman is a mismatch. People are pointing out that the Texas safeties are vulnerable. You seem to concede that pt. We both know that neither are going to run a 4.5. It just is a fact of life with this defense. I get your point, but the truth probably lies somewhere between your comments and the initial comment

Worthy versus any Safety is a mismatch. Freshman/Senior, it doesn’t matter. That’s the point. As a DC, you don’t get a S isolated on a WR. So yes we’re vulnerable in that scenario. Same as every other team.

Yes, both Catalon/Thompson are better downhill players. Their weaknesses are both likely their long speed.

Sorry I find it odd that persons are singling out one player. One that is absolutely a reason this defense has turned it around. And that also includes a massive misstatement of performance for said player (abused by Kansas deep). Largely brought on by two-three plays that are mischaracterized or the Burton TD including unrealistic expectations on great route/throw.

14 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Worthy versus any Safety is a mismatch. Freshman/Senior, it doesn’t matter. That’s the point. As a DC, you don’t get a S isolated on a WR. So yes we’re vulnerable in that scenario. Same as every other team.

Yes, both Catalon/Thompson are better downhill players. Their weaknesses are both likely their long speed.

Sorry I find it odd that persons are singling out one player. One that is absolutely a reason this defense has turned it around. And that also includes a massive misstatement of performance for said player (abused by Kansas deep). Largely brought on by two-three plays that are mischaracterized or the Burton TD including unrealistic expectations on great route/throw.

Get used to it. Given how well the front in playing vs the run, everyone is going to game plan to attack the secondary. That is going to lead everyone to point fingers at them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

I haven't seen anyone mention this but on the Bush sack here, Alfred Collins throws the RG back a full yard on first contact and causes the splitting TE to trip and miss Bush. Collins is having a pretty good year even if it's not showing up on the stat sheet.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't seen anyone mention this but on the Bush sack here, Alfred Collins throws the RG back a full yard on first contact and causes the splitting TE to trip and miss Bush. Collins is having a pretty good year even if it's not showing up on the stat sheet.  

Doesn’t seem much mention that 3 BU Olinemen are running QB draw either. Or so it seems.
  • Hook 'Em 1

WTF is going on...  No pass rush or pressure.  Bunch of dancing bears out there.  Yeah there was some holding but Murphy and Sweat still gotta do a better job and get their hands up if they aren't able to make it to the QB.

• Burke is definitely playing hurt.
  • WTH has happened to Sorrell ??
  • Collins injured today
  • Bledsoe may help pass rush, but not sure how he is gonna hold up vs the run

Are we trying to run any twists or stunts??

Saw our DE's and LB's several times out of position... neither rushing nor covering anybody or area. 

Reminds me of what Patches said:  "It's like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob out there."

This morning Gerry and Bobby frustrated by ineffective pass rush.  Long developing pass plays and no pressure.  Bobby really upset with both DT's lack of pressures yesterday.

Per Gerry, their most disruptive pass rusher is Bledsoe -- guess Texas coaches are still uncomfortable having him play a lot of downs.  

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This morning Gerry and Bobby frustrated by ineffective pass rush.  Long developing pass plays and no pressure.  Bobby really upset with both DT's lack of pressures yesterday.

Per Gerry, their most disruptive pass rusher is Bledsoe -- guess Texas coaches are still uncomfortable having him play a lot of downs.  

I saw Sweat triple teamed a few times. If no one else can get to the QB on on one look for more of the same. I don't know what happened to Hill's pass rush.

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Holding...

Seems quite obvious why we aren't getting much pressure

• Hook 'Em 1

Dropping Burke into pass coverage was just criminal...

Defensive Line  (Scipio Tex)

After being victimized by Dillon Gabriel in the run game vs Oklahoma, Pete decided that the QB who averages 2.8 yards per run and is only a red zone and short yardage concern warranted containment constraints on standard downs. So Texas ran almost no loops or stunts against a grabby OL badly susceptible to same and pressure attempts came from extra outside men that UH ignored while throwing to the wide open guy between the hashes on a crosser.

The interior was outstanding against the run. Dropping Burke repeatedly in the second half as the attempted solution to Nancy Drew And The Mystery Of The Crossing Route was hilarious. Less funny was watching Burke tackled behind at the knees by a Cougar OL about five yards from the ref with no flag at the end of the first half. Alfred Collins absolutely dominated before leaving with an injury. A big sack and several penetrations in maybe 20 snaps. Justice Finkley, JAG. Don’t recruit maxed-out short edges unless they run a 4.5 and have a crazy inside spin move.

---------------------------------------------

One of many 3rd and longs converted by Houston running crossers.

The Cougar right tackle clothesline-holds Sorrell around the edge while the right guard grabs two fistfuls of T’Vondre’s jersey, but hey Big 12 ref gonna Big 12 ref. PK’s idea to stop the crosser which has been victimizing his defense for the last 20 minutes is to drop Ethan Burke into coverage (checkmate Holgo!)

On 10/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, LTtxfan said:

I like the idea of using some 3-3-5 to help with the pass rush. Get at least 1 LB coming in pass situations. Texas is getting next to nothing out of the edge in pass situations. Gbenda and Hill are not great in coverage. Feels like Texas may get more out of bringing Gbenda and/or Hill in those situations, than asking the edges to get pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1