Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

All praise for Sweat. He demanded a double team just about every down he was in there and held up against or abused 700 lbs of Alabama offensive linemen. He made it possible for a lot of other Horns to show out.  

"Did you say it was hot? Naw In Texas its 115 120" love it

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Ross had several plays where he was getting good pressure and came close a few times to getting a sack.
Also, anybody else remember the play that went OOB on our sidelines and Bo got wiped out?

I think it was Ross who had a sure sack - or at least QB hit/flush from pocket - if not for an egregious, 08 Texas Tech headlock level hold on a long third down conversion Bama picked up
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, gmr548 said:

I think it was Ross who had a sure sack - or at least QB hit/flush from pocket - if not for an egregious, 08 Texas Tech headlock level hold on a long third down conversion Bama picked up

I know it sounds crazy, but Bama's LT might end up as one of the easier match-ups for the edges on the year. He is a talented 5 star freshman, but he is playing before he is ready (nice to be on the other side of that for once). According to Gerry, PK told Solomon Williams they would go after him  on a call before the game. I think gave up like  3-4 sacks in the game.

I know it sounds crazy, but Bama's LT might end up as one of the easier match-ups for the edges on the year. He is a talented 5 star freshman, but he is playing before he is ready (nice to be on the other side of that for once). According to Gerry, PK told Solomon Williams they would go after him  on a call before the game. I think gave up like  3-4 sacks in the game.

Well he was beaten by 3 different guys on their way to the QB.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ethan Burke is the closest thing Texas has had to Brian Robison since he played for the burnt orange.  Hopefully Burke will continue to wreak havoc and be mentioned along with BR as one of the finest edge rushers in Longhorn history. 

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Broughton development has been pretty amazing. 

I was definitely in the group that thought Broughton was a complete JAG. 

I’m not an X’s and O’s guru but it seemed like the plan was to have our DL get upfield to disrupt the outside zone running attack. That really suits Broughton’s skill set. It’s when he is required to anchor a spot and read and react that he has trouble. 

31 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I’m not an X’s and O’s guru but it seemed like the plan was to have our DL get upfield to disrupt the outside zone running attack. That really suits Broughton’s skill set. It’s when he is required to anchor a spot and read and react that he has trouble. 

He’s done way better this year with that spot and read play as well he’s overall improved. 

5 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

These guys remind of the '99 front four of Hampton, Rodgers, Woodard, and Humphrey. Just absolute monsters causing more problems than any offense can account for.

What I love about this team is we’re not seeing much production dip and we’re rotating very very heavily. 

It’s early but if they continue to play like they have it may be one of the best two deep rotations ever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

They’re fucking good.  Also there was one play where the Baylor tackle got beat by Burke and had his arm around his neck right in front of a ref and nothing.  

Because Texas made the sack and the ref said, "fuck it, they're going to decline." 

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Broughton development has been pretty amazing. 

I was definitely in the group that thought Broughton was a complete JAG. 

Considering how soft he was coming into the program, he had a long ways to go. I'll never forget that video of him working out at Planet Fitness. Good grief!

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What I love about this team is we’re not seeing much production dip and we’re rotating very very heavily.

It’s early but if they continue to play like they have it may be one of the best two deep rotations ever.

Should only get better with more snaps for the two's and three's.

12 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I think it was Baylors first 4th down attempt where they tried to run it to the right and Sweat completely blew it up. Finkley stood up the tight end and basically set the edge. He does a good job in doing the dirty work that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Honest question, which d line is better. Us or ag. They bought all those 5 stars. Just curious not trying to be a homer. Haven’t watched much aggy games to know.

Texas D-line and it is not even close. Although they did play much better against Auburn after they started doing more 4 man fronts. But in the first 3 games they just sat back in contain.

18 hours ago, Levi said:

I think it was Baylors first 4th down attempt where they tried to run it to the right and Sweat completely blew it up. Finkley stood up the tight end and basically set the edge. He does a good job in doing the dirty work that doesn’t show up on the stat sheet. 

Finkley is just a good solid player.  Plays hard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

People wonder why the D looks so much better under PK?  Under PK we are getting to the QB and this year are finally turning those pressures into sacks. And this is without a true 5 star freak coming off the edge yet...

Just look at our sack totals the past 4 years.

20-21 17 Sacks in 10 Games good for 91st in the nation

21-22 20 Sacks in 12 Games good for 103rd in the nation

22-23 27 Sacks in 13 Games good for 73rd in the nation

23-24 13 Sacks in 4 Games good for 25th in the nation

As bad as those yearly numbers look in a per-game standpoint, the rate stats are so much worse...

20-21 Sack% of 4.15% good for 111th in the nation

21-22 Sack% of 4.81% good for 103rd in the nation

22-23 Sack% of 5.10% good for 101st in the nation

23-24 Sack% of 8.84% good for 30th in the nation

How did the University of Texas become so anemic at getting to the QB? The last really really elite season for Texas was 2016-2017.

Like anyone in CFB, if you get to the QB the defense looks so much better. We have shown massive improvement this year to actually get to the QB. If we can keep that up, the D has a solid shot to be elite. I think PK doesn't get enough credit for the fundamental teaching aspect that he has done with the players coming off the edge. We are seeing a steady increase in our ability to get to the QB without having the elite recruits at the EDGE position.

19 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Honest question, which d line is better. Us or ag. They bought all those 5 stars. Just curious not trying to be a homer. Haven’t watched much aggy games to know.

We have the best DL in college football. I am not sure what to think about aggy, because Robinson is a good coach. I think he's just a poor fit in Durkin's defense.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Better pass rushes tend to lead to more interceptions.  Wish Texas had more speed at starting Safety...  hoping Derrick Williams keeps improving.  

This worries me about KU, they exposed Thompson last year in coverage down the field. They are going to attack Thompson and Watts on Saturday. Need the DL to go crazy again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This worries me about KU, they exposed Thompson last year in coverage down the field. They are going to attack Thompson and Watts on Saturday. Need the DL to go crazy again.

Williams has been getting a lot of reps in games and looked damn good. I bet he plays quite a bit this week as well 

11 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Williams has been getting a lot of reps in games and looked damn good. I bet he plays quite a bit this week as well 

Apparently, he played the most snaps of all the safeties. If we can get to a Catalon/Williams duo by the end of the year getting the most snaps then the pass defense will be much better. Catalon will probably be on a pitch count for a good portion of the season.