Texas WR/TE Passing Offense Talk

LTtxfan

Jahleel Billingsley transfers to Texas: Ex-Alabama TE joins Longhorns, reunites with Steve Sarkisian

By Chip Patterson     18 hrs ago

Former Alabama tight end Jahleel Billingsley was one of the top-ranked prospects in the transfer portal heading into the weekend, and on Sunday, he announced his intentions to transfer to Texas. 

Billingsley's transfer reunites him with coaches who were a part of the Alabama staff during his most productive year. Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian was the Crimson Tide's offensive coordinator when Billingsley emerged as an important offensive weapon late in the year during their 2020 national championship run, and Horns tight ends coach Jeff Banks was Billingsley's position coach in Tuscaloosa. Billingsley had 287 yards receiving and three touchdowns in 2020, mostly coming in the final seven games of the season, followed by 256 yards and three touchdowns in 2021. 

This is potentially a good landing spot for Billingsley, but also a great addition for a Texas offense that needs experience and proven production at the tight end position. He joins a 2022 transfer class that also includes former five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers and four-star cornerback Ryan Watts, both transferring in from Ohio State. Sarkisian is in need of a bounce-back second year after going 5-7 in his debut, and Billingsley's commitment is just another example of how the portal can help a program get some immediate impact to address roster needs. 

Texas also will face Alabama in Week 2 of the 2022 season, with Sarkisian, Banks, Billingsley all getting their moment against a familiar foe, Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban, on Sept. 10 in Austin. 

Billingsley was one of 11 Alabama players to enter the transfer portal and Sunday was a busy day for some of those bigger names to announce their transfer destination. In addition to Billingsley's move to Texas, quarterback Paul Tyson committed to Arizona State and linebacker Drew Sanders committed to Arkansas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This is a huge get.  Some have him as the second best portal player this year (Ewers #1).  He can stretch the field and had like 12 TDs as the only real WR threat in a run heavy offense.

As long as Ewers (or someone) can hit the WRs, our offense is starting to look scary.  Teams might find it hard to stack the box this season

With an average defense last year, we would probably have been 10-2 or 9-3  and in the Big 12 Championship game.
That is how bad our defense was last year.
I'm not all in on Sark's bet on continuity but I hope like hell it works.

Probably, because we’d likely beat OU. But during the losing streak we were among league leaders in 3 and outs. That played a part in exposing this defense.

38 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Probably, because we’d likely beat OU. But during the losing streak we were among league leaders in 3 and outs. That played a part in exposing this defense.

That doesn't explain the Kansas loss either where their putrid offense drove the length of the field multiple times in the first half on our defense.

Or the multiple 3rd and longs given up to Jarrett Doege and West Virgina.

• Rage+1 1

That doesn't explain the Kansas loss either where their putrid offense drove the length of the field multiple times in the first half on our defense.

But this could in part be explained by having the life of your season sucked out of you. Not entirely but a factor.

We haven’t exactly beaten KU by 50 over the last decade when we’ve had more better defenses.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:28 PM, Tex Long said:

"Our guys will block on every play..."

Been waiting to hear those words, for a loooong time. Seems like we mighta heard 'em a time or two, but actual blocking was scant. This turns out to be real,I'ma happy guy. 

Marion mantra: 

"How you play without the ball determines how much you love your teammates"  

• Hook 'Em 2

I wont spend much time defending our defense. I’ve got no more and continue to be dumfounded.

Sark bringing in Brennan Marion is reason for guarded optimism. This is a young guy who melded veer and triple option with modern spread concepts. He has made every team he coached better. His Go Go Offense has shown up as packages run by Riley (in Dallas), Kingsbury, and even the hoodie. He isn’t a journeyman position coach, he is an OC candidate and a future HC. The fact that he is enthusiastic about working with Sark as a receivers coach reflects well on Sark. As important as Patterson’s hire is, I think this hire may prove to be equal. And he recruits.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, 1leggedduck said:

Sark bringing in Brennan Marion is reason for guarded optimism. This is a young guy who melded veer and triple option with modern spread concepts. He has made every team he coached better. His Go Go Offense has shown up as packages run by Riley (in Dallas), Kingsbury, and even the hoodie. He isn’t a journeyman position coach, he is an OC candidate and a future HC. The fact that he is enthusiastic about working with Sark as a receivers coach reflects well on Sark. As important as Patterson’s hire is, I think this hire may prove to be equal. And he recruits.

Marion, Choice, and Patterson are grand slams.  Marion and Choice are upbeat and energetic coaches that  players relate to and respond to exceptionally well, so they have a track record of getting top effort from their players. Both are considered to be solid player developers.  Both are outstanding recruiters, with Choice being someone who has a track record of singlehandedly landing upper level talent at positions he doesn't even coach. 

Patterson speaks for himself.  He is definitely an elite evaluator and developer of talent.  Especially of DB talent. He could bring back the DBU debate to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

As we saw last season, Sark will have plenty of receivers open. Casey didn't see the really open ones most of the time, and seemed to wait for people to come open, instead of seeing where they were going and throwing them open. Card was too flustered to run the playcalls property. If Ewers understands what Sark is doing, we should be very effective on offense. Remains to be seen, but at least it's clearly not jut possible, but feasible i gonna be fun to watch. To quote a chair-snapping, soccer-mom accosting guy, "Dis gone be goood."

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

As we saw last season, Sark will have plenty of receivers open. Casey didn't see the really open ones most of the time, and seemed to wait for people to come open, instead of seeing where they were going and throwing them open. Card was too flustered to run the playcalls property. If Ewers understands what Sark is doing, we should be very effective on offense. Remains to be seen, but at least it's clearly not jut possible, but feasible i gonna be fun to watch. To quote a chair-snapping, soccer-mom accosting guy, "Dis gone be goood."

Ewers has about 3-4 inches on Casey. He's also has a significantly better arm. They probably have the same amount of gunslinger in them though, hopefully Sark doesn't get scared off if he throws a few picks in the Spring. Crazy physical upside, but hopefully he's a better leader too.

Edited by Atticus

On 1/25/2022 at 1:41 PM, 6th Street said:

TU? Lol

My father was a life long fan and would have come here is not for my mother attending SMU. Calling Texas Texas University was common with him. I'm fine with it. 

A&M insists on tu which says more about them than anything else. They decry anyone of the cult who spells it or refers to Texas in any other way. I don't want to be that way with someone calling us Texas University with no petty intent.

We are the University of Texas which is the Texas University. 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:55 AM, jw4381 said:

Billingsley, Neyor, and Worthy. Ewars, Robinson, and Johnson. Scary if we can get OL play to be up to their level. Oh, and defense. Yeah, defense.

Those players all incorporated into this scheme.  Yum!

https://youtu.be/hcO8Neq2yz4

Pluss if we add some of the two back sets from the gogo (Georgia Tech).  

As long as Ewers is able to play near the level he did in HS, this offense is going to be epic.  Personally, I think he will. I remember the first couple of times watching him play. The  first time I thought this kid is really good. The second time I was looking forward to seeing him again and kept thinking to myself how much he reminded me of Aikman. From his touch on the long ball to his pocket presence and the way he was willing to step into a throw, knowing he was about to get leveled, and deliver a perfect strike... But he had better legs. 

• Like 1