Move To Ban The Eyes of Texas

Slick16

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’d argue it’s best for the students to decide since they’re the ones actually currently there & paying tuition. Maybe if your yearly donations amount to more than a years tuition you have more of a claim. But the fact that someone who went there for 4 years 30 years ago gets to forever claim that they know what’s best for the university seems odd to me. At that point you have years of work in your field to affirm your skills, the university you attended & its reputation are not as relevant for you as they are to a recent grad or current student.

So the kids that probably won’t start paying off their loans for another couple years hold more sway than those that have have and are currently paying tens of thousands back? In a really generous collection of terrible opinions and posts, this might be one of the worst.  Current enrollment status is irrelevant to having (and the value of) an opinion on this.

You are awarded zero points and may Altuve have mercy on your soul. 

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Gary Bledsoe even looks like a pussy.  Can’t make this stuff up.

Even better, his wife, Alberta Phillips, is on the Austin American-Statesman editorial board.  She regularly authors pieces about alleged racial injustice.  It's almost like racial grievances are their family business. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I wrote it last year, and I will do so again.

I'm not comfortable being the assumed arbiter of this issue. I'd leave every decision like this to the black students and ask that they revisit decisions like this one after a few years. If the song alienates Texans, we should lay it aside.

It would say much more for the University of Texas that we laid aside a beloved song to embrace unity. I love singing The Eyes. I remained in the stands after every game I attended to sing that song.

I also saw blacks on campus not fully part of the student body. Nobody I saw was actively building a wall, but it's just fucking there. Let's tear it down together.

It's embarrassing to have black people asking for something so simple and having to fight even for that. I won't fight black people. I won't deny black people. It's not my place to determine what offends someone else. 

I believe these organizations. It's out there in public about minstrel shows and denigration. I don't care about mitigating something like that with historical context. 

I'll leap to an absurd seeming parallel. I've noted that women are often more sympathetic about the reasons someone has done something terrible which softens their disoposition to the evil-doer. My response?

"I don't care if your mother hated you, your uncle fucked you, and you're scarred by combat. If you move against somebody I care about, I will have no mercy."

I don't care how innocent we can paint the history of this beloved song. I don't care what our (white persons') intentions are. If it's an affront to worthwhile people, concede it.

It would be such a credit to this university to do so. Maybe the offended will say, "bring it back." Maybe they won't. It's up to them as far as I'm concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Even better, his wife, Alberta Phillips, is on the Austin American-Statesman editorial board.  She regularly authors pieces about alleged racial injustice.  It's almost like racial grievances are their family business. 

It is for some because it was/is a real problem.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

So the kids that probably won’t start paying off their loans for another couple years hold more sway than those that have have and are currently paying tens of thousands back? In a really generous collection of terrible opinions and posts, this might be one of the worst.  Current enrollment status is irrelevant to having (and the value of) an opinion on this.

You are awarded zero points and may Altuve have mercy on your soul. 

Yes, the overwhelmingly white, upper-class alums of a school that was attended by few people of color until 50 years ago should keep calling the goddamn shots. It's their right! It's their entitlement! It's tradition!

Wake the fuck up. Scorning "wokeness" is just a way of declaring oneself hostile to light.

It's also sickening to see this issue become, for some, a proxy issue for the internecine national struggle we are in.

The only real argument defending the song is sentimental. What's the value of sentimental attachment compared to the alienation of some others? Sentiment has weight, but not enough.

I'd like to find fewer things about my home state to be ashamed of. As far as sentimental notions go, blind pride is about as traditionally un-Texan as you can get. It used to mainly fester only in College Station and in groups of loudmouths who gave the state a bad name.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

I’m supportive of the Eyes, but listening to a bunch of people who were more than ok with Confederate statues on campus feign outrage is ridiculous. Take a look in the mirror and realize maybe your reaction to all this is the problem. 

Edit:

negs for someone who ultimately agrees with you is the snowiest of snowflake.

Edited by Texaspython
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Texaspython said:

I’m supportive of the Eyes, but listening to a bunch of people who were more than ok with Confederate statues on campus feign outrage is ridiculous. Take a look in the mirror and realize maybe your reaction to all this is the problem. 

Double logical fallacy word score.  False equivalence plus a strawman.  I hated the confederate statues on campus, as I hated buildings like Painter Hall that were dedicated to racist assholes, and was happy to see them go. Those have nothing to do with the Eyes of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Whuh?  The song's origins and intent were vetted in excruciating detail by a very diverse and non-partisan commission over the last year+.  The points of contention of the song were some details about where/when it was sung at certain activities on campus decades and decades ago.  The Confederate Statues were a non-starter/non-issue to me.  They were very simply monuments to people who took up arms in an act of insurrection against their own American government so they could continue to own dark colored people and beat them when they felt like it.  That we didn't get to all take turns pissing on the statues after they were taken down is my only regret on the matter.  

As I said on another thread about this, a lot of this is gonna get rehashed because while the commission's research and decisions are thorough and there for public consumption, with everybody returning to campus...people are discussing it in person and getting all worked up about the song again.  We're gonna have another semester of "dialogue", town halls, forums, etc.  Just prepare for it.  But in the end, the song will stay.

Now what I'd like to propose is that we get the confederate statutes out of storage and hang them from the Tower as a reminder to people who take up arms in rebellion to our duly elected government.  The South can't rise again when it's choking out and shitting itself.

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

I'm willing to bet it had more to do with Greg Abbott than the BMDs.

Nah, by resisting Perry and Sandefer, the University showed its independence from the governor, and even the lege.

Besides, the administration didn't need any help from Abbott to make this call.

I'm sure the fact that a lot of alumni that are donors, big and small, would have been pissed if the song had been trashed played a role.

But the simple fact that the song is deeply meaningful to the vast majority of alumni, holding no racial animus whatsoever.

Had there been a stronger connection to racism, or any actual racist content, it would be gone.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Double logical fallacy word score.  False equivalence plus a strawman.  I hated the confederate statues on campus, as I hated buildings like Painter Hall that were dedicated to racist assholes, and was happy to see them go. Those have nothing to do with the Eyes of Texas.

My point is this, it wasn’t until the Eyes was threatened that the racist symbols on campus were removed. I can see why the advocates have a lack of trust with those on the other side when they call them “woke, race baiters, snow flakes, etc.”

Sometimes the response is important. The stuff on this thread doesn’t really help. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 3

Maybe you heard/read differently, but I have a pretty good ear on the ground with regard to campus.  Those racist symbols on campus were removed over 4 years ago.  The "Eyes of Texas" song "scandal" didn't percolate until two years ago.  So basically, you're wrong.  

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nah, by resisting Perry and Sandefer, the University showed its independence from the governor, and even the lege.

Besides, the administration didn't need any help from Abbott to make this call.

I'm sure the fact that a lot of alumni that are donors, big and small, would have been pissed if the song had been trashed played a role.

But the simple fact that the song is deeply meaningful to the vast majority of alumni, holding no racial animus whatsoever.

Had there been a stronger connection to racism, or any actual racist content, it would be gone.

I was always kind of offended by that statue of George Washington wanking it on the Main Mall, but nobody ever listened to me.  Thought that it depicted white men in a bad way.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

My point is this, it wasn’t until the Eyes was threatened that the racist symbols on campus were removed. I can see why the advocates have a lack of trust with those on the other side when they call them “woke, race baiters, snow flakes, etc.”

Sometimes the response is important. The stuff on this thread doesn’t really help. 

True.

I am also a little bit uncomfortable with a white "majority" telling a minority what and what not to be offended about.  I certainly would be if the racism in the context of the song were stronger than it is.

But, to give a somewhat ridiculous example.  Lets say "brown" students began objecting to the light colored buildings that dominate central campus.  "They are white buildings built by white racist men to educate white racist men." All facially true.  But also ridiculous.

It just cannot be that a majority must yield to a minority on every demand that can be connected, however loosely, to racism.  The claim of racism is not exempted from scrutiny even when it is raised against an institution with a long history of invidious discrimination.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Maybe you heard/read differently, but I have a pretty good ear on the ground with regard to campus.  Those racist symbols on campus were removed over 4 years ago.  The "Eyes of Texas" song "scandal" didn't percolate until two years ago.  So basically, you're wrong.  

Sorry, renaming buildings named after well known racists that perpetuated segregation. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't understand how giving into a false narrative equates with the school being the best it can be.

Hammer meet nail.  Falling for forced, fake, reimagined “history” stands in the way of her being the best she can be.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Hammer meet nail.  Falling for forced, fake, reimagined “history” stands in the way of her being the best she can be.

Well, there's a false narrative, about the "overseer" type stuff that promulgated through student "telephone" rumor and innuendo, e.g. "eyes of texas" means "I'm watching you nagger."  I think more than one football player over time has cited that bullshit for "discomfort" with the song.

Then there's a sequence of events leading to the song that are factual, if a bit unclear or ambiguous.  But you have to draw really negative inferences from those facts, and ascribe motives that really aren't supported, in order to make the song have "racist origins."

It's not a false narrative, per se, just extremely overblown or "maximal" as I think GoLL put it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

No, it wasn't until the racist-named buildings on campus were impugned in the list of demands from the students, that the names were removed.

The Eyes was also on that list, but the actions taken to remove racist symbols on campus was spurred by the list that named those racist symbols as offensive.  Contrary to what the student chapter president says, that's a clear sign that he IS being heard.  

That the administration launched a lengthy deep-dive comprised of a diverse, multi-cultural panel, to investigate ties to racism in the song, and decided in its findings that there were no strong links to racism that would warrant the removal of the song, should not and cannot be ignored.  

Sorry, renaming buildings named after well known racists that perpetuated segregation. 

Yeah I knew where you were going and I'm fine with that.  Buildings named after known, active racists, can certainly be considered symbols of racism, even if they're not necessarily monuments to racism like the statues were.

Either way though, the removal of those symbols of racism was independent of the discussion of The Eyes.  And where removal of the building names was found to be warranted, canceling The Eyes was not. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No, it wasn't until the racist-named buildings on campus were impugned in the list of demands from the students, that the names were removed.

The Eyes was also on that list, but the actions taken to remove racist symbols on campus was spurred by the list that named those racist symbols as offensive.  Contrary to what the student chapter president says, that's a clear sign that he IS being heard.  

That the administration launched a lengthy deep-dive comprised of a diverse, multi-cultural panel, to investigate ties to racism in the song, and decided in its findings that there were no strong links to racism that would warrant the removal of the song, should not and cannot be ignored.  

Yeah I knew where you were going and I'm fine with that.  Buildings named after known, active racists, can certainly be considered symbols of racism, even if they're not necessarily monuments to racism like the statues were.

Either way though, the removal of those symbols of racism was independent of the discussion of The Eyes.  And where removal of the building names was found to be warranted, canceling The Eyes was not. 

Again, we’re on the same page. It’s mostly the bs on this thread that doesn’t help the discussion. The statutes only coming down in 2017 was way too late. 

The school will defend itself. It will work itself out. I was happy with the school’s response. To avoid the appearance of “too little too late” I think it’d be smart to dispense with “we gave you want you want so, stfu”. (Not saying that’s your stance)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Again, we’re on the same page. It’s mostly the bs on this thread that doesn’t help the discussion. The statutes only coming down in 2017 was way too late. 

The school will defend itself. It will work itself out. I was happy with the school’s response. To avoid the appearance of “too little too late” I think it’d be smart to dispense with “we gave you want you want so, stfu”. (Not saying that’s your stance)

It's clearly not my stance, but you can easily see from plenty of responses on this very thread that people will continue to paint any response from the university that doesn't involve complete cancellation of The Eyes as being in support of racism.  (And in kind, I'm not saying that's your stance :))

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

It's clearly not my stance, but you can easily see from plenty of responses on this very thread that people will continue to paint any response from the university that doesn't involve complete cancellation of The Eyes as being in support of racism.  (Not saying that's your stance)

Yeah, and maybe that’s the price for sins of the past. I don’t know.

Or maybe the Dan Patrick’s of the world win and we bring back the the confederate statues and names.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Sith horn is almost as big a snowflake pussy as the suing students for negging anyone that posts a differing viewpoint on this thread. 

Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer despised each other. Vidal had a gift for needling those he didn't like. Watch the video of him driving Wm F Buckley nuts at the '68 convention.

I once read that Mailer walked into social gathering, saw Vidal, and wen straight for him without warning. He punched Vidal who went to the floor. People pulled Mailer away and helped Vidal to his feet. Vidal provided one of the great quotes of my life:

"Poor Norman. Words failed him again."

So it is with the Star Wars nerd, Sith. He wields his neg like a light saber then kisses his Princess Leia puppet. That's just prelude to going all plushie with his life size Chewbacca doll.

I was happy with the school’s response.

Me, too, as far as all the other things petitioned for. I don't think the University desires to cling to racist symbols.

It's not surprising that after that, there is resentment over just how offensive The Eyes of Texas/I've Been Working on the Railroad may be. I share the sentiment of not wanting to lose it. 

I differ with some over whether or not to lose it. 

I differ profoundly with some who find this battleground convenient for other agendas.

My kid is a sophomore at UT. I asked his opinion on the EOT debate. So, here’s another point of view from the student’s perspective:

“I haven’t conducted a survey of UT students so my opinion is probably baseless. But I get the feeling that it’s a small highly motivated group of individuals on a committee, holding power and attention, that are upset. Then, the majority of students either ignorantly following the nonsense put forward or too scared to disagree with “woke culture” don’t want to oppose the change. And the remaining minority of students have no power because this is an issue of mobocracy and the only ones with the power to advocate for keeping the EYES are the pressure from alumni and Hartzell”

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was thoroughly vetted and the report is public.  https://eyesoftexas.utexas.edu/full-report/

Good post, though.  The century-plus of its usage without racial animus, under- or over-tones, while the University in other contexts was perpetrating al manner of racial offenses, should override any tenuous connection to racism, no matter how "generously" you interpret that connection.

It has united generations of Texas students and alumni of all creeds and colors (granted a whole lot of whitey, but that is beside the point).

Thanks for the link!  I just read it and I think most people are just going by what they hear and not reading it themselves.  What I got out of it was the song was created to stress accountability.  As you are a part of UT and you represent UT day and night, your actions are being watched.  They mentioned it was initially played in a minstrel show where they “think” blackface was used because those were the times.  But the song had no racial undertones etc…. From what I understand, the committee was diverse who analyzed and researched all of this.  I think the committee’s review and recommendation means more than others.    Not one thing in there makes me think the song is divisive, but we are in crazy times for sure.

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes, the overwhelmingly white, upper-class alums of a school that was attended by few people of color until 50 years ago should keep calling the goddamn shots. It's their right! It's their entitlement! It's tradition!

Wake the fuck up. Scorning "wokeness" is just a way of declaring oneself hostile to light.

It's also sickening to see this issue become, for some, a proxy issue for the internecine national struggle we are in.

The only real argument defending the song is sentimental. What's the value of sentimental attachment compared to the alienation of some others? Sentiment has weight, but not enough.

I'd like to find fewer things about my home state to be ashamed of. As far as sentimental notions go, blind pride is about as traditionally un-Texan as you can get. It used to mainly fester only in College Station and in groups of loudmouths who gave the state a bad name.

Like it or not UT is not considered racially enlightened by any mean by Black people at all. And Black people I know do not fall for this whole idea that Texas is not a Southern state. Shoot the messenger all you want but it doesn't change the fact that we blew the chance to lead the way to integrate the SWC in the '60s, were too slow to do it in a big enough way in the '70s to prevent Switzer and Yeoman and other coaches to erode what should have been our continued dominance of the state in the '70s and '80s, and only somewhat stabilized with Mack in the 90s and the 2000s. Then came the Charlie experiment, which, believe it or not, is not seen as simply a matter of a terrible coach being hired and fired in three years by the Black community. Nor is Austin a shangri-la destination for a young Black athlete -- it's a big city, and so strange to rural East Texas kids. It's extremely White and getting Whiter by any metric -- percentage, real numbers, whatever. 

And then we old redasses dig in about this damn song. I can guarantee y'all that almost none of you have as long a family relationship with the University as i do. it began ten years before this song even existed. And I love the song. i sang it to my children in the crib the way my parents and grandparents sang it to me. And you know what -- that can continue, even if its never played in a football stadium ever again.

What we are doing with this song right now is...we are choosing to be Ole Miss with Ole Man Rebel instead of Alabama. Do you think we win a single Black recruit because of the singing of the Eyes? Now, can you imagine how it could conceivably, theoretically, maybe just possibly be used in negative recruiting against us?

Yes aggy and Sul Ross what the fuck ever. I can't figure that shit out either. But fucking take the Eyes home with you. It has become a goddamn albatross. 

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Like it or not UT is not considered racially enlightened by any mean by Black people at all. And Black people I know do not fall for this whole idea that Texas is not a Southern state. Shoot the messenger all you want but it doesn't change the fact that we blew the chance to lead the way to integrate the SWC in the '60s, were too slow to do it in a big enough way in the '70s to prevent Switzer and Yeoman and other coaches to erode what should have been our continued dominance of the state in the '70s and '80s, and only somewhat stabilized with Mack in the 90s and the 2000s. Then came the Charlie experiment, which, believe it or not, is not seen as simply a matter of a terrible coach being hired and fired in three years by the Black community. Nor is Austin a shangri-la destination for a young Black athlete -- it's a big city, and so strange to rural East Texas kids. It's extremely White and getting Whiter by any metric -- percentage, real numbers, whatever. 

And then we old redasses dig in about this damn song. I can guarantee y'all that almost none of you have as long a family relationship with the University as i do. it began ten years before this song even existed. And I love the song. i sang it to my children in the crib the way my parents and grandparents sang it to me. And you know what -- that can continue, even if its never played in a football stadium ever again.

What we are doing with this song right now is...we are choosing to be Ole Miss with Ole Man Rebel instead of Alabama. Do you think we win a single Black recruit because of the singing of the Eyes? Now, can you imagine how it could conceivably, theoretically, maybe just possibly be used in negative recruiting against us?

Yes aggy and Sul Ross what the fuck ever. I can't figure that shit out either. But fucking take the Eyes home with you. It has become a goddamn albatross. 

Why are you addressing me? I make none of the claims you refute.

You sound bitter about something.

It's also strange to see someone making broad generalizations about East Texas kids as though they are some kind of homogenous group of black yokels all agog when they come to the big city. 

I gave UT rightful credit for reacting to the athletes' and students' petition. I say the University doesn't intend to be racist which I also believe. That's a long way from calling anything Shangri-La or ideal. 

Certainly some of the posts on this board indicate just how far from ideal things are.

I can think of few things more condescending and dismissive than to tell the diverse contributors to the “Eyes” committee, “Your hard work and recommendations on this issue are being dismissed and discarded because a different self-appointed  faction is making a public stink and the university doesn’t want to appear insensitive”. 

why would anybody ever serve on such a committee again if this is how decisions are to be made?

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't think it is applicable here, but you could hardly blame black folks for not 100% trusting that the Report is not some sort of whitewashing.  Then again, the other responses to the demands are not consistent with the Report being a whitewashing, either.

But I think what's really driving it is best set out in post 237.

I find it somewhat odd that Gary Bledsoe has been President of the Texas NAACP for 30 years straight.  One of the few things about "my Austin" that hasn't changed.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

If I find myself offended by something, or just don't like something, I tend to stay clear of it.  Guess I'm doing it wrong and should just sue and force them to change to my liking?

Do all of these offended people attend sporting events and lament every time the song is played?  I seriously doubt it.

1 minute ago, landman said:

If I find myself offended by something, or just don't like something, I tend to stay clear of it.  Guess I'm doing it wrong and should just sue and force them to change to my liking?

Do all of these offended people attend sporting events and lament every time the song is played?  I seriously doubt it.

Not only that, but they’re emotionally and financially harmed.

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I can think of few things more condescending and dismissive than to tell the diverse contributors to the “Eyes” committee, “Your hard work and recommendations on this issue are being dismissed and discarded because a different self-appointed  faction is making a public stink and the university doesn’t want to appear insensitive”. 

why would anybody ever serve on such a committee again if this is how decisions are to be made?

Beyond that, it's academically dishonest to perform detailed research work, and then discard it because an emotionally charged activist group refuses to read it and have an honest discussion about it.

THAT type of activity is directly opposed to the university's academic mission.

THAT type of activity is what could prevent the university from being the best it could be.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

A lot of words to say you don’t know Ricky and Earl.

‘Please go hustle somewhere else.

Edited by Cajun

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’d argue it’s best for the students to decide since they’re the ones actually currently there & paying tuition. Maybe if your yearly donations amount to more than a years tuition you have more of a claim. But the fact that someone who went there for 4 years 30 years ago gets to forever claim that they know what’s best for the university seems odd to me. At that point you have years of work in your field to affirm your skills, the university you attended & its reputation are not as relevant for you as they are to a recent grad or current student.

If your argument is based on who has more equity in the Texas brand, how much is the value of his (4+ years of tuition + donations + compounded interest + 30 years of deploying his TX diploma(s)), compared to a mouth breather with 2 years of university affiliation puking on the lawn outside of Jester West?

• Hook 'Em 2