Move To Ban The Eyes of Texas

Slick16

2 hours ago, statsman said:

If they don’t like “The Eyes of Texas”, just wait until they find out the history of the state flag…

Are you referring to the Red/White flag of the Republic of Fredonia?   Stretching that to be racist when it was a joint effort by whites and Native Americans.  Maybe there's something else I've forgotten?

not to get overly CR...

but jfc i think there are uh, FAR, FAR bigger fish to fry with, uh, recent events and developments and such, in this state, and, um...yeah, i'd think young people, the NAACP, etc could very easily find a lot more current, critical, meaningful and impactful causes in this state to get fired up and want to fight right now 😐

but hey...

thats-just-me-personally-my-opinion.gif

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Here's a thought: If you have a problem with "The Eyes of Texas" , or think you might,  maybe you should attend a university that does not have a school song called "The Eyes of Texas"...and then just go about your fucking business 

Like where? A school that has been historically black? Those don’t exist.

37 minutes ago, mchookem said:

not to get overly CR...

but jfc i think there are uh, FAR, FAR bigger fish to fry with, uh, recent events and developments and such, in this state, and, um...yeah, i'd think young people, the NAACP, etc could very easily find a lot more current, critical, meaningful and impactful causes in this state to get fired up and want to fight right now 😐

but hey...

In the state. In the country. In the world. 

I don't really care about who is offended by what with everything going on in the world when my, younger and future generations are going to wind up being tasked with providing solutions to these things.

53 minutes ago, MajorMajor said:
1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:
I'm over really caring about what people that grew up eating Tide Pods think about complex issues.

Like the *original* Tide pods or the updated horse dewormer SKU?

"What in tarnation, Linda?  Look at this news story...These kids today.  They're doing this 'Tide Pod Challenge.'  They're gonna make themselves sick and die because of some crap they heard from their friends and they wanna fit in and seem rebellious.  Meh!  Serves 'em right, they deserve whatever is coming to their dumb asses!  Now then, bring me my horse paste-bleach cocktail.  We're still patriots in this here household!"

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"What in tarnation, Linda?  Look at this news story...These kids today.  They're doing this 'Tide Pod Challenge.'  They're gonna make themselves sick and die because of some crap they heard from their friends and they wanna fit in and seem rebellious.  Meh!  Serves 'em right, they deserve whatever is coming to their dumb asses!  Now then, bring me my horse paste-bleach cocktail.  We're still patriots in this here household!"

Now THAT's some re-imagining!!!

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Here comes fuckface, bumbling into threads with his patented brand of fuckery. 

I think it’s funny. UT could adopt the Horstwessel Lied as its school song and I wouldn’t give a shit, it’s not my school. It’s just funny to see people this riled up about a fucking song. Both the ones that want it removed & its defenders. 

• Fuck You 7

I mean, if any Texas college is gonna adopt "Horst Wessel Lied", it would obviously be A&M.  They've already choreographed the march for "research purposes."  Lord knows they already have the pants and boots.  

I think it’s funny. UT could adopt the Horstwessel Lied as its school song and I wouldn’t give a shit, it’s not my school. It’s just funny to see people this riled up about a fucking song. Both the ones that want it removed & its defenders. 

You sound like my wife. “I just think it’s funny that…”.
  • Haha 3

A legal note.  The current complaint is to the DOE, it is not a lawsuit.  Here is some general guidance on the standards DOE applies.  https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/race394.html

What is not clear to me is whether the students/plaintiffs receive a 'right to sue" as is common in this type of scheme, the EEOC investigating similar claims in the employment context, for example.  A cursory look indicates that if the DOE declines taking action on the complaint, that is the end of it.

I think in any case, when legal standards are applied, the racial animus of the song and it's singing will be found too attenuated to sustain a hostile environment claim.  And that would be in probably any Circuit in the nation.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I was there in the west side upper deck 40 yard line.  I have a video but I ain't loading it to Youtube or posting it.  The players were all between the 18 and 35 in between the hashmark and the sideline....there is a group of Spurs standing between the 10 and 15 in a line. Cheerleader waiving the flag at the 23 yard line. A bunch of random sideline people straggling around behind them. Were all the players horns up and singing, probably not....but they never all have been for various reasons one of which on Sunday could be that some had just walked over from just finishing playing defense at the other end of the field because dumbass LaLa coach kept calling timeouts.  Or they could just not want to sing the song.  Either way all the players were standing there together.  

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

not to get overly CR...

but hey...

Like the fact that the NAACP uses CP in their name?

Just heard from my daughter; she aced the first round of tests. Including OCHEM2 and BIOCHEM. She didn’t mention the Eyes, or go out and protest.

But she wants the song gone. Has said it stands in the way of UT being the best it can be.

I support her view of her school. I had my time. This is her’s. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Just heard from my daughter; she aced the first round of tests. Including OCHEM2 and BIOCHEM. She didn’t mention the Eyes, or go out and protest.

But she wants the song gone. Has said it stands in the way of UT being the best it can be.

Oh................. ok. Well, that's just like.... her opinion, man. 

Back when I was young and stupid, I was young and stupid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

How?

What is the basis of this opinion?

I've never really gotten arguments surrounding colleges and universities where it "is for the students now to decide, or I had my time this is theirs." is a worthwhile point.  Yes it's important for them to be a significant part of a conversation surrounding any greater issue but they are there but for 4 years (ok sometimes maybe 5 or 6). What makes the fact they happen to be 18-22 years old and there NOW the role as sole arbiter of something like this an appropriate viewpoint?  If they were the last class ever, or if the time spent there was multiple decades I could maybe more readily buy this point, but it's four years.  It's not for students to solely decide matters that are important to everybody who may have gone before them or follow them. That would be like saying you get to vote between the ages of 25 and 35 and that's it.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Your daughter is a smart girl. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I've never really gotten arguments surrounding colleges and universities where it "is for the students now to decide, or I had my time this is theirs." is a worthwhile point.  Yes it's important for them to be a significant part of a conversation surrounding any greater issue but they are there but for 4 years (ok sometimes maybe 5 or 6). What makes the fact they happen to be 18-22 years old and there NOW the role as sole arbiter of something like this an appropriate viewpoint?  If they were the last class ever, or if the time spent there was multiple decades I could maybe more readily buy this point, but it's four years.  It's not for students to solely decide matters that are important to everybody who may have gone before them or follow them. That would be like saying you get to vote between the ages of 25 and 35 and that's it.  

I’d argue it’s best for the students to decide since they’re the ones actually currently there & paying tuition. Maybe if your yearly donations amount to more than a years tuition you have more of a claim. But the fact that someone who went there for 4 years 30 years ago gets to forever claim that they know what’s best for the university seems odd to me. At that point you have years of work in your field to affirm your skills, the university you attended & its reputation are not as relevant for you as they are to a recent grad or current student.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

Supposedly, administration thoroughly vetted the song and its past.  They came back where it did not come from any racist undertones.  Some idiots used the song in a play does not make the song racist.  I never once thought it was degrading to anybody.  Quite frankly i see it as unifying.  People need to quit trying to find racist crap when nothing exists.  We all went to UT for a very short period of time.  None of us own anything there.  The traditions were long before us and will be there long after us.  It is not a current students call to make random changes to an institution bigger then they are.  We all know college kids think they are the smartest and it is all about them.  Once you get out, you realize how stupid you were for thinking you were sooooo important in college. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yknow what.  Mirabeau B. Lamar was a slaveholder, supporter of slavery, and secessionist.  

His bon mot, "a culitivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy" was translated to Latin by Edwin B. Fay, who taught at Washington & Lee for six years and no doubt was a vile racist like Lee and Prather.

So,I submit that I am offended by

Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis.

Trash it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’d argue it’s best for the students to decide since they’re the ones actually currently there & paying tuition. Maybe if your yearly donations amount to more than a years tuition you have more of a claim. But the fact that someone who went there for 4 years 30 years ago gets to forever claim that they know what’s best for the university seems odd to me. At that point you have years of work in your field to affirm your skills, the university you attended & its reputation are not as relevant for you as they are to a recent grad or current student.

Nowhere did I say it was only the right of the 55 year old to decide, just that it's dumb to say it's only the students who are currently there for 4 years right.  I would agree that there are probably a lot of 30 year alums who would not be better positioned than some students to know what's best. I would also say there are some students who absolutely would not be better positioned than some 30 year alums to know what's best....hence why you don't put absolute authority in either of those group's hands.  

And I believe on this particular issue, this is exactly what Texas did...brought a group of diverse interests/experiences/positions in life with respect to the University together to review the matter.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I've never really gotten arguments surrounding colleges and universities where it "is for the students now to decide, or I had my time this is theirs." is a worthwhile point. 

I was speaking to my role as a father and contrasting it with my (your) feelings as an alum.

UT doesn’t belong to students, or alums. It it Texas’.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was speaking to my role as a father and contrasting it with my (your) feelings as an alum.

UT doesn’t belong to students, or alums. It it Texas’.

Fair enough and I happen to be an alum and a father (of a UT student)....it's her time to be a UT student (and mine to be a UT Parent) but to your point that's part of the larger Texas.

7 minutes ago, CockadoodleHorn said:

Supposedly, administration thoroughly vetted the song and its past.  They came back where it did not come from any racist undertones.  Some idiots used the song in a play does not make the song racist.  I never once thought it was degrading to anybody.  Quite frankly i see it as unifying.  People need to quit trying to find racist crap when nothing exists.  We all went to UT for a very short period of time.  None of us own anything there.  The traditions were long before us and will be there long after us.  It is not a current students call to make random changes to an institution bigger then they are.  We all know college kids think they are the smartest and it is all about them.  Once you get out, you realize how stupid you were for thinking you were sooooo important in college. 

It was thoroughly vetted and the report is public.  https://eyesoftexas.utexas.edu/full-report/

Good post, though.  The century-plus of its usage without racial animus, under- or over-tones, while the University in other contexts was perpetrating al manner of racial offenses, should override any tenuous connection to racism, no matter how "generously" you interpret that connection.

It has united generations of Texas students and alumni of all creeds and colors (granted a whole lot of whitey, but that is beside the point).

• Hook 'Em 1

You are a student for four years (seven if your last name is Blutarski), and an alum for the rest of your life.  There are way more graduates and alums than current students.  The University has existed for way longer than the last four years. 

Current students are certainly entitled to their opinions, but are not entitled to getting their way.  Current students are welcome to leave The University and go to any school they are qualified for.  They are temporary until they become graduates and alums.

I made my choice -- I'm a UT grad and active alum, permanently (Until Gabriel blows his horn, I suppose).  It's always useful to listen to the temps, but the permanent folks are the only ones who really have any skin in the game.     

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The BMDs already dragged their nuts last year and threatened the admin to withhold donations. The admin responded with “the song stays and that’s final”. It’s settled.

I'm willing to bet it had more to do with Greg Abbott than the BMDs.