Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's quite the world we live in where we decide to reframe the uniquely female ability to bring life into this world, by casting that ability into one where their female qualities are actually empowered by the ability to snuff one out before it comes into the world. 

Now see, this gets to the core of the argument against abortion. Having been raised southern baptist and inundated with their propoganda for nearly 20 years, I definitely have a reflexive "abortion bad" stance and I agree that past a certain point its closer to murder than it isnt. 

But. I'm not a woman and I don't think it's my place to tell women how they should feel and how they should live. Especially with respect to something that I as a man will never have to face the consequences of first hand. 

I also think that an outright ban is going to cause more pain and harm to the mothers that the dogmatically anti abortion folks claim they want to protect (and definitely not control)

• Hook 'Em 2

to be clear, i wasn't making a judgement other than based on libertarian political arguments i've seen @Anastasis make i was actually surprised at the vehemence of the initial response. 

having said that, in line with my comment above re: the Catholic church...i can at least respect a consistent pro-life stance, even if i do not agree.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

On this we agree.  There is no political solution to the issue. Social and moral death spiral imo.  

I have always hated abortion. I would never ask a woman to get one.  I have also always hated state regulation of abortion. Where doesn’t that leave me on the issue. I don’t know. I guess it means I would rather we don’t discuss it. Is that cowardly? Maybe so. Or maybe it means there is no answer. 

Just now, mchookem said:

to be clear, i wasn't making a judgement other than based on libertarian political arguments i've seen @Anastasis make i was actually surprised at the vehemence of the initial response. 

having said that, in line with my comment above re: the Catholic church...i can at least respect a consistent pro-life stance, even if i do not agree.

I've been around the block a few times wrt both the abortion debate and the death penalty one on this board. There aren't really any surprises in any of these arguments, at least from me, at this point.  Although I do try to work in new wrinkles from time to time, such as the juxtaposition of the traditional defining quality of the female being one of bringing life into this world transitioning to the definition of feminine empowerment based on the ability to snuff one out of her own regard.  

On 5/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, Ag with kids said:

The local gov't only had the power to issue mandates because king Abbott granted it to them last year with his emergency EOs.

So, are you happy you have a king Abbott or mad you have a king Abbott?

False.  https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.418.htm  See in particular 418.108.

I wish abortions did not occur. My question is this...If we outlaw abortions, what evidence is there that the War on Abortions will be any more successful than the War on Drugs? If the goal is reducing/eliminating abortion, criminalization seems a bad strategy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mchookem said:

fwiw i also am surprised bc i thought you were pure libertarian.

and this is a good question sort of...but i would say 'pro-life or anti-choice' as literally nobody thinks abortions are awesome. 

having said that, you bring up a good point... it's always seemed the height of hypocrisy to me for someone to be pro-life and also pro-capital punishment. if you believe 'all life is sacred'... then all life is sacred.

one of the few issues i give credit to the Catholic church for, they are ideologically consistent in their pro-life stance. 

I would disagree with "literally no one," but I don't want to get into another abortion debate in the Abbott thread. I'm glad that Protestants changed their tune on the subject since it makes more sense biblically. Even if it's because of those pompous Catholics. Just kidding, sorta. I've changed my tune on a lot of things, One of those is state sanctioned murder. I don't know if I could totally be against it yet, but the quote "I'd rather let 10 guilty men go free, if it means that 1 innocent is prisoned" kinda puts me in a bind since I agree with it too much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Women are traditionally defined by their ability to give life?

Miss me with that.

Women have the unique and awesome ability to bring human life into this world. Sorry that that is lost on you. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Fuck You 3

10 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yes I had my two kids by asexual reproduction.

Men betta not hope women figure that shit out.

The problem with you women is no matter how stupid men constantly act, and it is constant, you just can’t quite quit us. Through my travels I’ve think I figured out why but I’ll refrain from mansplaining it. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I suppose barbarism as a form of self-empowerment is a progressive quality to be lauded. 

I'm pro-life, too. I just think the tack you're taking to support our shared belief is misguided. It's not particularly persuasive and quite obviously offensive. Also a bit tantrum-ish. But I'm entertained, so . . . proceed.

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I'm pro-life, too. I just think the tack you're taking to support our shared belief is misguided. It's not particularly persuasive and quite obviously offensive. Also a bit tantrum-ish. But I'm entertained, so . . . proceed.

I'm just waiting for the heel turn both sides argument

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol both sides

If men got pregnant the Catholic Church would have a Saint Dilation and Curettage and abortion would be in the Bill of Rights.

I fucking wish y’all could get pregnant.

Yeah maybe but what ya gonna do.

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol both sides

If men got pregnant the Catholic Church would have a Saint Dilation and Curettage and abortion would be in the Bill of Rights.

I fucking wish y’all could get pregnant.

So men can't get pregnant? I can't keep up with y'all.

• Fuck You 1

I'll follow up by saying I agree with what Bill Clinton said when nominated. I would prefer no woman have to choose. I would prefer that there be no abortions, that all pregnancies were welcome. I respect anybody trying to use persuasion to change a woman's mind about abortion so long as the persuasion is not intrusive.
But I'm not dictating to a woman that she have a child.
I would be cool if pro lifers switched thier efforts to reducing the need and amount of abortions. But in my life they have done zero to reduce demand. In fact many increase demand by insisting gays not adopt or that races shouldn't mix. Harder to adopt out = more abortions.
More rape - more abortions.

Not a shot at Ana at all but ...
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Maybe one day you will chime in and advocate your pro-life position on this board, using your powers of persuasion. Or maybe not.

The abortion debate has broke many brains. We've turned empowering female qualities around live giving on their head, defining female empowerment instead on the alternative.   

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe one day you will chime in and advocate your pro-life position on this board, using your powers of persuasion. Or maybe not.

The abortion debate has broke many brains. We've turned empowering female qualities around live giving on their head, defining female empowerment instead on the alternative.   

WHAT? no, seriously, what the fuck does that mean?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'll follow up by saying I agree with what Bill Clinton said when nominated. I would prefer no woman have to choose. I would prefer that there be no abortions, that all pregnancies were welcome. I respect anybody trying to use persuasion to change a woman's mind about abortion so long as the persuasion is not intrusive.

But I'm not dictating to a woman that she have a child.

“Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.”

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Go fuck yourself. We live in a country where sex education teaches abstinence rather than protection, and birth control isn’t readily available to everyone at a cheap or reduced cost. Without a woman’s ability to control her body completely, she becomes a second class citizen.

This is the primary and best argument.  But to me the most persuasive is whether you would want any of these pro-life assholes involved in any of your family decisions.  This roles back around to your argument.  This is a method of control, pure and simple.  And at it's most basic level a grotesque denial of liberty for women and those who they include in their personal decisions.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I would be cool if pro lifers switched thier efforts to reducing the need and amount of abortions. But in my life they have done zero to reduce demand. In fact many increase demand by insisting gays not adopt or that races shouldn't mix. Harder to adopt out = more abortions.
More rape - more abortions.

Not a shot at Ana at all but ...

I've argued multiple times that we should focus the discussion on the repeated abortions. I've cited MMWR statistics regarding ~16% of all abortions being performed as the 3+ abortion for that individual. About 6% are the fourth go round. That is simply unacceptable in a modern society. 

But the reality is that nobody really wants to move the needle.  It's all just political posturing. 

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

This is the primary and best argument.  But to me the most persuasive is whether you would want any of these pro-life assholes involved in any of your family decisions.  This roles back around to your argument.  This is a method of control, pure and simple.  And at it's most basic level a grotesque denial of liberty for women and those who they include in their personal decisions.

There’s also the fact that there’s nothing in the Bible that recognizes an unborn child as a human life.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

i mean i started out basically giving you kudos for at least being consistent but then you go and earn a rare 🖕 rep from me for the follow up because fuck you. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Let's double click on this for a moment... You're basically saying that if a woman cannot or does not have children, they have no power, or at the very least are less than those who do.

Do you realize how fucking medieval that thinking is?

A woman who is raped by her uncle has to carry it to term, and if she doesn't, she's less empowered? Give me a fucking break. 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Let's double click on this for a moment... You're basically saying that if a woman cannot or does not have children, they have no power, or at the very least are less than those who do.

Do you realize how fucking medieval that thinking is?

A woman who is raped by her uncle has to carry it to term, and if she doesn't, she's less empowered? Give me a fucking break. 

Speaking of broke brains. No one is saying that.