Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

48 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

It's been well documented that Ronald Reagan jumped the Republican Party into bed with the "Moral Majority" aka Evangelical Christians.  That's where all this shit started.

The whole "pro life" thing as a platform plank is only about 50 years old.  Just about when the GQP rejected compassionate politics.

And arguably Karl Rove took that group and truly weaponized them for W.  Plenty of them were pretty lukewarm about the younger Bush - he had a not-so-good reputation, but Rove managed to take them (thanks in part to the previous 8 years of the Clintons) and really hyper focus them.

As far as actually discussing the factors influencing the decision to have an abortion, seems like there are more than a few items here that people coming from different perspectives on the issue could align around addressing as a society.
Screenshot-2021-05-20-151348.jpg

Man you really thought this was a slam dunk huh
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Abbott's naked reach back into the past to stymie black voters and get women back into a place where they must ask while men never must ask is a disgusting variation on the melody of Making America Great Again. 

It's not about MAGA.

Well, let me rephrase that: Abbott doesn't give a flying fuck about trying to make anything great again. Hell, deep down, for all of our flaws, he knows we never stopped actually being great.  The last year showed what a great nation can do - even with Republicans working against the American public, American companies managed to pivot their manufacturing where they could to help with the pandemic, and the American public, minus the 40%, did what they could to protect their fellow Americans. And all of this, even as our President was working against us.

No Abbott only cares about winning his next election.

He only cares about Don Huffines primarying him, and Allen West turning the state GOP and its fundraising machine against him.

This has been playing out slowly, but surely, for the last year, and it scares the shit out of Abbott that West and Co. have been laying the groundwork to boot him out of office.

It really terrifies Abbott that Huffines, West, etc. are not doing this quietly - they are shouting it from the rooftops.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Punitive for the poors.  Because the Rs who support this bill will still have access to abortions. If the daughter of one of these bill supporters gets pregnant, they’ll just fly her out to La Jolla to get an abortion, then stay at a spa for the weekend. They’ll make it an abortion vaycay. 

She won’t have to live with the consequences of her actions the way poor women will. But that’s the modern GQP in a nutshell. 

i though the way this law was written is that anybody, you, me, any citizen of texas can sue any other texan who gets/aids/abets/funds/performs an abortion?

Am I wrong? Anybody? What am I missing here?

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It really terrifies Abbott that Huffines, West, etc. are not doing this quietly - they are shouting it from the rooftops.

He's already used to eating alone, he should develop a thicker skin. That's some real bootstrappin.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He's already used to eating alone, he should develop a thicker skin. That's some real bootstrappin.

Career politicians like Abbott game out all kinds of scenarios for future elections - taking polls, monitoring various Republican groups, having somebody constantly surveying the political landscape to see what up-and-comers are on the horizon, staying in touch with various politicians at various levels of government to make sure they are in his corner, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that somebody coming in and turning the state GOP against Abbott was way down the list of scenarios that Abbott's people had planned for. Especially when that somebody is from Florida (and had gotten defeated by one of them librools).

But we are in the dumbest timeline.

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Man you really thought this was a slam dunk huh

Not sure what you are suggesting.

I think I have been clear.  We should identify areas where diversity of perspective can find common ground on the topic.

At least of course, this is if you consider the topic any thing other than a wedge issue that can be used to score political points. 

Maybe Abbott figured as Texas was leaning a little blue that he would walk that tightrope and emerge unscathed. A party being wholly anti-democracy was something that many could see, but smart people get sucked into that orbit thinking they'll play the fascists but the fascists don't play. They purge.

Raped and pregnant. What is the % of women that happens to? I took a guess, am probably wrong, but the point remains; highly improbable and too statistically insignificant to build a position or case around IMO. But even in that black swan event, I stand by abortion being murder and the right thing to do, in my opinion, is to redeem and raise the baby. I appreciate your disagreement and think you have the right and free will to raise your family as you see fit, also.
This cigar smells like a Crispy ass troll
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

he doesn't like that someone made fun of his sky daddy so he's posting tired memes to hide his own insecurity. you know, accusation/confession and whatnot

i mean, i get that it's a meme... but i literally have no idea what it's supposed to indicate 😝

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

A rape is clearly God's will as he nudges the awesome power of birth. The Big G works in mysterious ways. Never mysterious enough to include abortion, but He'll send you straight to Hell for eternal torture. 

The disingenuous "God's will" of the gaps is so nice. If we're going biblical then Deuteronomy 22:25 should be the standard then. 

i mean, i get that it's a meme... but i literally have no idea what it's supposed to indicate

I think he’s trying to make the point that people who dunk on Christianity are edgelords and basement dwellers. It’s stupid. He’s a person that’s proud of eating a carrot.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

I think he’s trying to make the point that people who dunk on Christianity are edgelords and basement dwellers. It’s stupid. He’s a person that’s proud of eating a carrot.

ahh...thank you. at least now i get it. it's stupid, but i get it lol

ok...is nobody else tripping that the Bible provides instructions for how to induce an abortion?? i'm still floored 😳 

ETA: or did everybody but me already know this lol.

Edited by mchookem
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not about MAGA.

Well, let me rephrase that: Abbott doesn't give a flying fuck about trying to make anything great again. Hell, deep down, for all of our flaws, he knows we never stopped actually being great.  The last year showed what a great nation can do - even with Republicans working against the American public, American companies managed to pivot their manufacturing where they could to help with the pandemic, and the American public, minus the 40%, did what they could to protect their fellow Americans. And all of this, even as our President was working against us.

No Abbott only cares about winning his next election.

He only cares about Don Huffines primarying him, and Allen West turning the state GOP and its fundraising machine against him.

This has been playing out slowly, but surely, for the last year, and it scares the shit out of Abbott that West and Co. have been laying the groundwork to boot him out of office.

We are in agreement. I use MAGA ironically. It's a sugarcoated name for a poison pill.

ahh...thank you. at least now i get it. it's stupid, but i get it lol

ok...is nobody else tripping that the Bible provides instructions for how to induce an abortion?? i'm still floored  
ETA: or did everybody but me already know this lol.

God really loved killing kids in the Old Testament. Then he was rewritten for a softer new audience...like the two versions of Point Break.
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

God really loved killing kids in the Old Testament. Then he was rewritten for a softer new audience...like the two versions of Point Break.

Yo, Jesus! I'll see you in the next life!

image.thumb.png.8529657e2147f98e3eb42683ee80193b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s a carrot, that looks like a hotdog, that everyone thought was a hotdog til he brightened the pic.

his picture is a knock off smooth brain joke, hence the helmet, and gerbil brain and other distinct facial features (calling you retarded). Here to help

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Abbott thinks he wants to be President, but keeps giving DeSantis and Noem and other players room in Texas so he could be a soft landing spot as a VP.

Abbott can't think that far ahead at this point.  The Trumpers have declared total war on Abbott, and if they defeat him next year, his political career is over.

He's just trying to keep this from happening:

mac and me falling GIF

• Haha 3

It's very telling that Abbott is veering hard right - he absolutely has no clue how to attack Huffines and/or Allen West, or we would have seen it already, so all he can do is bitch about Biden.

And I don't even think Abbott has the balls to attack West, since West is the face of the GOP in Texas.

And West's background is plenty ripe for the attack, whether it's him moving to Texas because he couldn't win in Florida, or his military service or whatever.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think that I have proposed any burdensome policies. 

Sure you have - or at least you’ve indicated that you’re good with them. You’re a-ok with the state 1) requiring women to carry a pregnancy, and all the burden and expense thereof (which is what Abbott’s bill does) without 2) providing any material support or relief from the burden and expense it just required her to carry.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure you have - or at least you’ve indicated that you’re good with them. You’re a-ok with the state 1) requiring women to carry a pregnancy, and all the burden and expense thereof (which is what Abbott’s bill does) without 2) providing any material support or relief from the burden and expense it just required her to carry.

I have not.  I have consistently suggested that we find areas where there is common ground and focus energy there.  Shouldn't be too hard for the set that chants the mantra "safe, legal, and rare". Great. I am willing to meet you there. 

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Read this Donkey. https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(96)70141-2/abstract

A shit load of rapes cause pregnancy, but let's further traumatize women and young girls. It's already so easy as it is.

I did read this, which is where I got the 5% number that informed the 5% of the 3% of Texans who will get sexually assaulted (which doesn't even necessarily mean raped or raped in a way that can cause pregnancy)

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:
6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:
Raped and pregnant. What is the % of women that happens to? I took a guess, am probably wrong, but the point remains; highly improbable and too statistically insignificant to build a position or case around IMO. But even in that black swan event, I stand by abortion being murder and the right thing to do, in my opinion, is to redeem and raise the baby. I appreciate your disagreement and think you have the right and free will to raise your family as you see fit, also.

This cigar smells like a Crispy ass troll

Ouch. Now you are getting mean and personal!

What’s so great about being born? It’s like surviving the initial round of a zombie attack. A big goddamn hassle, things gradually just keep getting worse and then you die a painful death.

if you’re never born, you never have to do taxes or meet a lawyer.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have not.  I have consistently suggested that we find areas where there is common ground and focus energy there.  Shouldn't be too hard for the set that chants the mantra "safe, legal, and rare". Great. I am willing to meet you there. 

No, absolutely nobody wants to meet us there. Not a single abortion regulation/law is genuine in that regard. It’s a divisive political stunt, and only a divisive political stunt. As evidenced by the same folks strident opposition to things that actually WOULD reduce abortion: sex ed and contraception.

It’s impossible to sincerely discuss the insincere. And you giving the topic credibility at all is embarrassing. But you do you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

No, absolutely nobody wants to meet us there. Not a single abortion regulation/law is genuine in that regard. It’s a divisive political stunt, and only a divisive political stunt. As evidenced by the same folks strident opposition to things that actually WOULD reduce abortion: sex ed and contraception.

It’s impossible to sincerely discuss the insincere. And you giving the topic credibility at all is embarrassing. But you do you.