Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’d guess the statistical probability is the same as having unprotected sex with someone who isn’t raping you. I’m sure one of the first thing anyone is going to do after hearing their child was raped, after consoling, is to get a pregnancy test. So yea I have a huge difference of opinion in it being a “black swan” event.

But what do the numbers say? Why don't we both stop talking and put in some effort to finding what the data bears out, and come back to this topic? Because it was my assertion that it was a very rare event that you took contention with in the first place.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

As far as actually discussing the factors influencing the decision to have an abortion, seems like there are more than a few items here that people coming from different perspectives on the issue could align around addressing as a society.

Screenshot-2021-05-20-151348.jpg

sure...vast majority of responses to the discussion have pointed out that if the government would help with most everything under the 'can't afford' category, perhaps the government forcing women to give birth would make more sense.

ironically, the states most likely to do the latter are also least likely to do the former.

but i'm sure those adhering to those points of view all have moral struggles about it 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

Respectfully, I don’t give a flying fuck about what the number of rape victims who end up pregnant as a result of rape is. The grieving and consoling process should allow them to decide if they want a daily reminder of it for the rest of their life, instead of being forced to carry it to term. That is not controversial

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

. We can't just kill people who are inconvenient to us. That's vanity sociopathy.

you may have said already, but i just want to check... you are also anti-capital punishment, right?

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

you may have said already, but i just want to check... you are also anti-capital punishment, right?

100% against.

Though like with abortion and how I can appreciate the idea or desire and understand it, I can also understand the impulse to want to fry heinous people, etc. etc. But yes, I am 100% against death penalty. Thanks for the softball lol

Edited by DonkeyCigars

10 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The interesting hold around the politics of abortion is that, no matter how much I can appreciate some aspects of D's or things that I like, ultimately, Democrats will politically rationalize, justify, dehumanize, and abstract the fact that abortion is killing a human life form.

Is it, though?  If a fetus isn't viable, how is removing it from the person from whom it is drawing the ability to become born "killing"?  Maybe we should develop a procedure to remove the fetus and attach it to a machine so the fetus could then develop to term outside the host.

That would be a really good use of our tax dollars.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Respectfully, I don’t give a flying fuck about what the number of rape victims who end up pregnant as a result of rape is. The grieving and consoling process should allow them to decide if they want a daily reminder of it for the rest of their life, instead of being forced to carry it to term. That is not controversial

2.3% of Texas women will be sexually assaulted a year (not even necessarily raped, but let's got with that).

Of those, 5% will be impregnated.

That is: 0.00115

Wow I was really close, if not spot on, huh?

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Is it, though?  If a fetus isn't viable, how is removing it from the person from whom it is drawing the ability to become born "killing"?  Maybe we should develop a procedure to remove the fetus and attach it to a machine so the fetus could then develop to term outside the host.

That would be a really good use of our tax dollars.

As inconvenient as it may be, yes, I believe overwhelmingly so.

54 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It appears we’re shitposting now. Who is responsible for more more dead babies, God thru miscarriages or a 14 year old and his sock collection?

couple more hours until Sack shows up for his Thursday HH. I cannot wait.

He's hitting 3/3 at my house this year. Absolutely ruthless with his murder button. 

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

100% against.

Though like with abortion and how I can appreciate the idea or desire and understand it, I can also understand the impulse to want to fry heinous people, etc. etc. But yes, I am 100% against death penalty. Thanks for the softball lol

rep removed for editing to be a smartass 🙄

it certainly isn't a softball when the leaders of this very state that just passed the most restrictive abortion law in the country continues to also execute more people than any other, despite now dozens of cases of wrongful conviction/execution.

and that contradictory stance extends to a dozen other states as well.

so no, it's not a softball.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, DonkeyCigars said:

As inconvenient as it may be, yes, I believe overwhelmingly so.

What is your definition of what is a person? Is it when the sperm hits the egg? Is it when the egg implants? Is it when the brain has developed sufficiently to the point where it's more than a bundle of reflexes?

I think this is the heart of the disconnect. 

Well, that, and a different set of views and values around the autonomy and self-determination of women.

When the GQP calls seditionists 'tourists' then they have zero ground to stand upon when  a woman considers calling the fertilized egg in her uterus a baby or a fetus or anything at all. If they don't want an abortion then don't have one, cover up their emissions, or provide prenatal and natal care throughout.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

2.3% of Texas women will be sexually assaulted a year (not even necessarily raped, but let's got with that).

Of those, 5% will be impregnated.

That is: 0.00115

Wow I was really close, if not spot on, huh?

Before you go sucking your own dick, consensually, here’s the link you ignored from the CDC when you googled “how many rape victims get pregnant.” A little more up to date than something from 1996

https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/sexualviolence/understanding-RRP-inUS.html

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I'm not a fancy man, just a simple guy with a simple outlook on life. That is, Honor your mother and father and do not murder other human beings. You are destroying a creation of God by doing so.

Women and Men should have no say in the matter of the business of murder. I'm an equal opportunity employer of that belief.

Are they destroying a creation by god or just returning to sender?

Define murder?  

9 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It was very clear who he meant in the discussion. Take the neg, or beg Anastasis for help like you’ve made a habit out of doing. You’re the chicken hawk to his foghorn leghorn.

Yeah, who are women. Stop defending something that you know is bad. 

So where in the Bible does it talk about abortions being bad?  I am not a biblical scholar but is it Genesis?  Did god tell Eve after Adam hits that don't abort it?  Also, can't it be argued that god created everything so technically he was the divine spark on creating the medical procedure that is abortion.  Maybe he made man create abortion because he saw that the Earth would be overpopulated in the future so this was his solution.  I am totally cool with people following whatever religion/god it is that floats their boat but don't push your beliefs on everyone else.  This isn't about Pro-Life because a majority of these fuckers against abortion are all for the death penalty.  

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So where in the Bible does it talk about abortions being bad?  I am not a biblical scholar but is it Genesis?  Did god tell Eve after Adam hits that don't abort it?  Also, can't it be argued that god created everything so technically he was the divine spark on creating the medical procedure that is abortion.  Maybe he made man create abortion because he saw that the Earth would be overpopulated in the future so this was his solution.  I am totally cool with people following whatever religion/god it is that floats their boat but don't push your beliefs on everyone else.  This isn't about Pro-Life because a majority of these fuckers against abortion are all for the death penalty.  

same place jeebus discussed homosexuality

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's been well documented that Ronald Reagan jumped the Republican Party into bed with the "Moral Majority" aka Evangelical Christians.  That's where all this shit started.

The whole "pro life" thing as a platform plank is only about 50 years old.  Just about when the GQP rejected compassionate politics.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, who are women. Stop defending something that you know is bad. 

You don’t have to tell me women are women. I shouldn’t have to tell you the context of the post where you knowingly infer all women as a group, and not the specific women in the poster’s family.

if you want to reply back to this and say “I nEVeR sAiD ALL wOmEn” save the keystrokes.

17 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So where in the Bible does it talk about abortions being bad? 

Not only does it not talk about them being bad, it actually endorses them and gives the instructions for the spell to be cast by the rabbi in cases of adultery on the part of the wife. Not only would it kill an unborn child, it would render her permanently infertile. See Numbers 5:11-31...

Concerning an Unfaithful Wife

11 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 12 Speak to the Israelites and say to them: If any man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him, 13 if a man has had intercourse with her but it is hidden from her husband, so that she is undetected though she has defiled herself, and there is no witness against her since she was not caught in the act; 14 if a spirit of jealousy comes on him, and he is jealous of his wife who has defiled herself; or if a spirit of jealousy comes on him, and he is jealous of his wife, though she has not defiled herself; 15 then the man shall bring his wife to the priest. And he shall bring the offering required for her, one-tenth of an ephah of barley flour. He shall pour no oil on it and put no frankincense on it, for it is a grain offering of jealousy, a grain offering of remembrance, bringing iniquity to remembrance.

16 Then the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the Lord; 17 the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel, and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tabernacle and put it into the water. 18 The priest shall set the woman before the Lord, dishevel the woman’s hair, and place in her hands the grain offering of remembrance, which is the grain offering of jealousy. In his own hand the priest shall have the water of bitterness that brings the curse. 19 Then the priest shall make her take an oath, saying, “If no man has lain with you, if you have not turned aside to uncleanness while under your husband’s authority, be immune to this water of bitterness that brings the curse. 20 But if you have gone astray while under your husband’s authority, if you have defiled yourself and some man other than your husband has had intercourse with you,” 21 —let the priest make the woman take the oath of the curse and say to the woman—“the Lord make you an execration and an oath among your people, when the Lord makes your uterus drop, your womb discharge; 22 now may this water that brings the curse enter your bowels and make your womb discharge, your uterus drop!” And the woman shall say, “Amen. Amen.”

23 Then the priest shall put these curses in writing, and wash them off into the water of bitterness. 24 He shall make the woman drink the water of bitterness that brings the curse, and the water that brings the curse shall enter her and cause bitter pain. 25 The priest shall take the grain offering of jealousy out of the woman’s hand, and shall elevate the grain offering before the Lord and bring it to the altar; 26 and the priest shall take a handful of the grain offering, as its memorial portion, and turn it into smoke on the altar, and afterward shall make the woman drink the water. 27 When he has made her drink the water, then, if she has defiled herself and has been unfaithful to her husband, the water that brings the curse shall enter into her and cause bitter pain, and her womb shall discharge, her uterus drop, and the woman shall become an execration among her people. 28 But if the woman has not defiled herself and is clean, then she shall be immune and be able to conceive children.

29 This is the law in cases of jealousy, when a wife, while under her husband’s authority, goes astray and defiles herself, 30 or when a spirit of jealousy comes on a man and he is jealous of his wife; then he shall set the woman before the Lord, and the priest shall apply this entire law to her. 31 The man shall be free from iniquity, but the woman shall bear her iniquity.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I think it's time for an intermission on the abortion talk to put this here as another classic reminder why this guy is a monumental fuckwad.

Among many other things:

1.  "There's this place named Franklin's."

2.  "The most important thing about BBQ is sauce.  If you don't have the sauce right, I don't think it works."

This guy had to have gotten his ass kicked in high school on a regular basis.

He can't have those beliefs about BBQ and not be super-pro abortion, being that he is bragging about the abortion in front of him.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

He can't have those beliefs about BBQ and not be super-pro abortion, being that he is bragging about the abortion in front of him.

And he had to go all the way to a D.C. BBQ joint in an attempt to sound authoritative on Texas BBQ.

13 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

You don’t have to tell me women are women. I shouldn’t have to tell you the context of the post where you knowingly infer all women as a group, and not the specific women in the poster’s family.

if you want to reply back to this and say “I nEVeR sAiD ALL wOmEn” save the keystrokes.

You knew what I was talking about, but wanted to bitch anyways.

16 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

The whole "pro life" thing as a platform plank is only about 50 years old.  Just about when the GQP rejected compassionate politics.

Well they needed SOMETHING to reclaim the moral high ground since supporting segregation and jim crow laws worked out so well for them

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You knew what I was talking about, but wanted to bitch anyways.

Yes, I knew you were being dishonest. Everyone reading the board knows you were being dishonest. Instead of posting it and seeing another example of you being a know-nothing, keep it to other forums and YouTube comment sections where you can talk about how you pwned someone. 

Edited by StassneyHorn

52 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The interesting hold around the politics of abortion is that, no matter how much I can appreciate some aspects of D's or things that I like, ultimately, Democrats will politically rationalize, justify, dehumanize, and abstract the fact that abortion is killing a human life form. I just can't reconcile that fact. And there are a lot of people like me who ultimately have to vote for pro-life candidates because it's that serious and obvious and cut-and-dried a matter to us.

And look...I say all that with the realization that it isn't pragmatic. It's in all our material and superficial best interest to abort, especially with teens and poverty, because those babies aren't going to get the support they need to reach their potential in this world, statistically speaking. These kids will be the criminals and deadbeats and drag down the bottom line of America and as Malcolm Gladwell has shown, it's in the best interest of polite society (and as some have over-rotated and said on this very thread) to allow only those with means and ability to responsible for children.

But, in my opinion, there are lots of shortcuts and easier options to make for a more utilitarian society. We can't just kill people who are inconvenient to us. That's vanity sociopathy.

So you're pro gun control and against the death penalty?

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Yes, I knew you were being dishonest. Everyone reading the board knows you were being dishonest. Instead of posting it and seeing another example of you being a know-nothing, keep it to other forums and YouTube comment sections where you can talk about how you pwned someone. 

Nope, you're projecting. Keep up the projection though and pretend you "pwned" me.

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Anastasis, in my worthy opinion if I do say so myself, is right. 

And to your question: yes illegal abortion should be jailed as murder/manslaughter.

Abortion is murder (hence the significance of the heart beat part of the bill) and this guy gets it:

Abortion no matter the origin is murder. If anyone asks if I've killed, I'd have to answer honestly and with a sorrowful regret.

I appreciate that not everyone believes what I believe (and that can blow my mind from time to time) and so there isn't really any point in arguing because nobody changes their mind on these things.

Yea, I think you're wrong, but you are morally consistent with regard to the status of a fetus no matter its origin.

I suppose the crux of our disagreement is where the reach of government must stop (surely the skin would be my position) and the standing of a woman as a citizen to make her own decisions. 

Like with African Americans asking or demanding things, I've grown uncomfortable assuming the role of arbitrator. I shouldn't have any more power to grant their wishes than they do. I'm fine letting black people decide about the alma mater, the statues on campus, or the statues in public places. 

I've found that if I allow myself to feel that I'm being deprived of something in these discussions I am merely carrying on the innate sense of ownership of society that comes with being a white man born outside of poverty. As I've written other places, Me Too and BLM shook my complacency about the non-white male world. I falsely assumed we'd come further than we had. 

With women, it's about the same to me. It's embarrassing that women had to be granted the vote by men in the US in the early 20th Century. Excuse me, white women. Black women had to wait a few more decades here in the shining city on hill, the envy of the world, the absolute permanent World Champions of Self-congratulation. 

As long as someone isn't hurting anyone (I understand that you think abortion does so) and you don't make me watch, I pretty much want to let fellow citizens to exercise liberty.

Abbott's naked reach back into the past to stymie black voters and get women back into a place where they must ask while men never must ask is a disgusting variation on the melody of Making America Great Again. 

I wander, but I did want to acknowledge your consistency. Your conflict is which is worse: destroying a fetus or claiming dominion over the body of another citizen. Of course, Abbott will only speak in terms of murdering babies in order to rustle the jimmies.

I'd appreciate it if the public discourse had not been raised to such high emotion. But, it is Idiot World afterall. Emotions rule, especially the malign ones.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Awesome.  So I presume that you also support things like mandatory paid maternity leave for every single job, government-funded childcare (so mom can work and support herself and her kid), government-funded childcare (I listed it twice, as we also need it so mom can get a college degree and make a good living)?  I mean, just for starters.

The "pro-life" crew is fucking GUNG-HO about imposing the obligation of carrying a child to term and raising it on women, but is a HARD NO on doing the things that would allow women to do that without losing their jobs, education prospects, etc.

Remember, the cruelty is the point.

I think that employers should provide both maternity and paternity leave for new parents.  I think that employers should provide on-site childcare, schools and universities likewise.  I think that we should look at certain modifications to the tax code and the way that the child tax credit is implemented.  I think that we should probably also have something like HSA accounts that can be used to save resources towards child-related expenses broadly. 

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I think it's time for an intermission on the abortion talk to put this here as another classic reminder why this guy is a monumental fuckwad.

Among many other things:

1.  "There's this place named Franklin's."

2.  "The most important thing about BBQ is sauce.  If you don't have the sauce right, I don't think it works."

This guy had to have gotten his ass kicked in high school on a regular basis.

Well he's right, when eating shitty BBQ, the sauce is important, because the sauce is what covers up the fact you are eating shitty BBQ.  He's not Texan enough or doesn't have friends, because he apparently doesn't know where to go to find good BBQ where sauce has fuck all to do with anything.

Also, please stop with the abortion talk, or create an appropriate thread here.  Him signing the bill into law had the intended effect, it got all of you to quit thinking about all the other shitty things our government has done over the last six months and you are focused on this.  This is another distraction.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that employers should provide both maternity and paternity leave for new parents.  I think that employers should provide on-site childcare, schools and universities likewise.  I think that we should look at certain modifications to the tax code and the way that the child tax credit is implemented.  I think that we should probably also have something like HSA accounts that can be used to save resources towards child-related expenses broadly. 

Great.

You can begin to talk about implementing burdensome polices as soon as you implement policies that will alleviate those burdens.  But we will never, ever, ever do that.

Can't have one without the other.  Full stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Great.

You can begin to talk about implementing burdensome polices as soon as you implement policies that will alleviate those burdens.  But we will never, ever, ever do that.

Can't have one without the other.  Full stop.

I don't think that I have proposed any burdensome policies. 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Him signing the bill into law had the intended effect, it got all of you to quit thinking about all the other shitty things our government has done over the last six months and you are focused on this.  This is another distraction.

You're not wrong about this---the session ends in less than two weeks and they have zilch substantive work done. I couldn't access the DMN, but they had an article on the budget this week.

23 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not only does it not talk about them being bad, it actually endorses them and gives the instructions for the spell to be cast by the rabbi in cases of adultery on the part of the wife. Not only would it kill an unborn child, it would render her permanently infertile. See Numbers 5:11-31...

Concerning an Unfaithful Wife

11 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 12 Speak to the Israelites and say to them: If any man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him, 13 if a man has had intercourse with her but it is hidden from her husband, so that she is undetected though she has defiled herself, and there is no witness against her since she was not caught in the act; 14 if a spirit of jealousy comes on him, and he is jealous of his wife who has defiled herself; or if a spirit of jealousy comes on him, and he is jealous of his wife, though she has not defiled herself; 15 then the man shall bring his wife to the priest. And he shall bring the offering required for her, one-tenth of an ephah of barley flour. He shall pour no oil on it and put no frankincense on it, for it is a grain offering of jealousy, a grain offering of remembrance, bringing iniquity to remembrance.

16 Then the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the Lord; 17 the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel, and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tabernacle and put it into the water. 18 The priest shall set the woman before the Lord, dishevel the woman’s hair, and place in her hands the grain offering of remembrance, which is the grain offering of jealousy. In his own hand the priest shall have the water of bitterness that brings the curse. 19 Then the priest shall make her take an oath, saying, “If no man has lain with you, if you have not turned aside to uncleanness while under your husband’s authority, be immune to this water of bitterness that brings the curse. 20 But if you have gone astray while under your husband’s authority, if you have defiled yourself and some man other than your husband has had intercourse with you,” 21 —let the priest make the woman take the oath of the curse and say to the woman—“the Lord make you an execration and an oath among your people, when the Lord makes your uterus drop, your womb discharge; 22 now may this water that brings the curse enter your bowels and make your womb discharge, your uterus drop!” And the woman shall say, “Amen. Amen.”

23 Then the priest shall put these curses in writing, and wash them off into the water of bitterness. 24 He shall make the woman drink the water of bitterness that brings the curse, and the water that brings the curse shall enter her and cause bitter pain. 25 The priest shall take the grain offering of jealousy out of the woman’s hand, and shall elevate the grain offering before the Lord and bring it to the altar; 26 and the priest shall take a handful of the grain offering, as its memorial portion, and turn it into smoke on the altar, and afterward shall make the woman drink the water. 27 When he has made her drink the water, then, if she has defiled herself and has been unfaithful to her husband, the water that brings the curse shall enter into her and cause bitter pain, and her womb shall discharge, her uterus drop, and the woman shall become an execration among her people. 28 But if the woman has not defiled herself and is clean, then she shall be immune and be able to conceive children.

29 This is the law in cases of jealousy, when a wife, while under her husband’s authority, goes astray and defiles herself, 30 or when a spirit of jealousy comes on a man and he is jealous of his wife; then he shall set the woman before the Lord, and the priest shall apply this entire law to her. 31 The man shall be free from iniquity, but the woman shall bear her iniquity.

oh.my.god.

i'm stunned.

i had no idea this was in the bible. 

i mean...HOLY SHIT THE BIBLE PROVIDES INSTRUCTIONS FOR INDUCING AN ABORTION. 

i'm writing this down. i mean, i knew it didn't say anything about not having one, but i had no idea it actually gave fucking instructions.

thank you very much for posting this.

mind boggling. my mind is boggled. 😳

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Well he's right, when eating shitty BBQ, the sauce is important, because the sauce is what covers up the fact you are eating shitty BBQ.  He's not Texan enough or doesn't have friends, because he apparently doesn't know where to go to find good BBQ where sauce has fuck all to do with anything.

Also, please stop with the abortion talk, or create an appropriate thread here.  Him signing the bill into law had the intended effect, it got all of you to quit thinking about all the other shitty things our government has done over the last six months and you are focused on this.  This is another distraction.

The whole bill was designed for attention and lawsuits and they’re praying to the same God it doesn’t actually become law. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

well, then here's hoping that happens. go fuck yourself.

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

You hope women get raped? 

2 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Good luck to your daughter in carrying out her vision and mission for her family if she is subjected to the hypothetical that was posed.  

2 hours ago, Da Fino said:

That's pretty fucked up. Even incestual? 

A rape is clearly God's will as he nudges the awesome power of birth. The Big G works in mysterious ways. Never mysterious enough to include abortion, but He'll send you straight to Hell for eternal torture. 

Donkey Cigars, it's interesting that you use the term paterfamilias. The Roman paterfamilias had absolute power over his family including the right to kill children. From the PBS site:

The paterfamilias had absolute rule over his household and children. If they angered him, he had the legal right to disown his children, sell them into slavery or even kill them.

Only the paterfamilias could own property: whatever their age, until their father died, his sons only received an allowance, or peliculum, to manage their own households.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, mchookem said:

oh.my.god.

i'm stunned.

i had no idea this was in the bible. 

i mean...HOLY SHIT THE BIBLE PROVIDES INSTRUCTIONS FOR INDUCING AN ABORTION. 

i'm writing this down. i mean, i knew it didn't say anything about not having one, but i had no idea it actually gave fucking instructions.

thank you very much for posting this.

mind boggling. my mind is boggled. 😳

Yeah, there’s all kinds of crazy shit in there. Actually reading the Bible is a good way to become an atheist. 

• Like 2

also, bc it's a particular pet peeve of mine, i would like to point out that in the last days and many pages worth of very heated discussion on this extremely emotional and controversial topic... barely half a dozen negreps have been given out. 

you know, for the babies that like to whine about the cabal 🙄

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 3