The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

By the way, does he even own the hotels? 

If you don’t think Trump is getting rich off this presidency, you are irredeemably retarded.  I’d keep that fact from the UT main office because they’ll be asking you to hand back your diploma.  

But the good news for you is that you don’t think it.  With regards to the above hotel quote, I was thinking about the right’s insistence on debating like this for the last few years.  The whole idea is to just say stupid shit until the other side has given up on the basis of exhaustion.  It’s not just here, but in the public sphere as well.  It’s the single best way to prevent anything from happening. Imagine how much wouldn’t get done on any field if every time you move a step forward, someone relitigates the step behind you, regardless of how clearly it has been shown, how indisputable it is, or how tangential it is.  If every physicist had to begin explaining every breakthrough with “2+2=4, therefore...” “wait, did you just say 2+2=4? What if it’s 5?” “Ok.  Let’s stop and deal with that...”

Think about how much more now you hear “democrats were the party of slavery” or “democrats opposed civil rights” any time any social progress topic is brought up.  Oh, let’s stop the present discussion and go back to discussing the situation that literally everyone is aware of.  You see, see, back then the parties were blah blah blah, what were the confederate states blah blah blah what were we taking about again?

The same is Trump, a person slavishly devoted to the dollar, run fraudulent universities, fraudulent charities, never served his country in any way, making money 100 different ways for him and his hangers on.  Then someone brings up stupid shit like “I don’t think he actually owns the buildings with his name on it” when we discuss the money making efforts he has.  Yeah, the guy doesn’t benefit from having the ability to leverage his name into a guaranteed revenue stream.  And isn’t making money through endless sale of shit.  And isn’t making money through real estate moves.  It’s retarded and tangential.  But it’s exhausting because at some level someone wants to treat it it as a serious thought, spend 1000 words showing it, then move on, have the next inane question come up, are you saying he can discriminate?!, pause and explain that, and so on.  Then as the hours pass, you can be sure someone will pose again “wait, I don’t even think Trump owns those buildings!”  Victory by mental attrition is the best strategy of the people that are constantly wrong. They’ve accepted they are wrong, they are used to being wrong, so they don’t care if they say something retarded and look retarded.  It’s still a point in their attrition column. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

“But Hillary!”

”Both SiDeS!”

”The system is broken because it gave us Hillary!”

lulz

The mental gymnastics required to deflect from the current state of the White House is amazing.

Hillary’s primary flaw was being the subject of a decades long campaign of bashing by Fox News, talking heads, radio hosts to the point that people just accept that “Hillary = corruption” without any evidence. 

A fire could break out in the Senate and the GOP would yell Hillary.  It's all they got--a hollow battle cry. 

Edited by Mdhorn

3 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If you don’t think Trump is getting rich off this presidency, you are irredeemably retarded.  I’d keep that fact from the UT main office because they’ll be asking you to hand back your diploma.  

But the good news for you is that you don’t think it.  With regards to the above hotel quote, I was thinking about the right’s insistence on debating like this for the last few years.  The whole idea is to just say stupid shit until the other side has given up on the basis of exhaustion.  It’s not just here, but in the public sphere as well.  It’s the single best way to prevent anything from happening. Imagine how much wouldn’t get done on any field if every time you move a step forward, someone relitigates the step behind you, regardless of how clearly it has been shown, how indisputable it is, or how tangential it is.  If every physicist had to begin explaining every breakthrough with “2+2=4, therefore...” “wait, did you just say 2+2=4? What if it’s 5?” “Ok.  Let’s stop and deal with that...”

Think about how much more now you hear “democrats were the party of slavery” or “democrats opposed civil rights” any time any social progress topic is brought up.  Oh, let’s stop the present discussion and go back to discussing the situation that literally everyone is aware of.  You see, see, back then the parties were blah blah blah, what were the confederate states blah blah blah what were we taking about again?

The same is Trump, a person slavishly devoted to the dollar, run fraudulent universities, fraudulent charities, never served his country in any way, making money 100 different ways for him and his hangers on.  Then someone brings up stupid shit like “I don’t think he actually owns the buildings with his name on it” when we discuss the money making efforts he has.  Yeah, the guy doesn’t benefit from having the ability to leverage his name into a guaranteed revenue stream.  And isn’t making money through endless sale of shit.  And isn’t making money through real estate moves.  It’s retarded and tangential.  But it’s exhausting because at some level someone wants to treat it it as a serious thought, spend 1000 words showing it, then move on, have the next inane question come up, are you saying he can discriminate?!, pause and explain that, and so on.  Then as the hours pass, you can be sure someone will pose again “wait, I don’t even think Trump owns those buildings!”  Victory by mental attrition is the best strategy of the people that are constantly wrong. They’ve accepted they are wrong, they are used to being wrong, so they don’t care if they say something retarded and look retarded.  It’s still a point in their attrition column. 

It's playing whac-a-mole with the same arguments but different posters ad infinitum.  It's a pointless exercise unless you just like typing. 

Just now, triplehorn said:

Barr testifying to a House subcommittee right now.  States a redacted form of the Mueller report could be complete in a week.  

He dodged answering a direct question about whether the WH saw the report or was briefed on its contents.

How do you dodge this question--demand a yes or no answer.

He's dodging everything. He won't give Congress the full report, just an obviously white washed one (to benefit the white house). This is an unmitigated cover up.

What a crock of shit that this will have to go to the courts where time will run out on his first term. Just like his tax returns.

Well, I guess the president of the United States LIED to us again. (Shocked!)

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Clarification :

-report could be released* within a week

-dodged whether Trump/WH read or was briefed on report before* Barr 4 page memo released.

-Mueller did not participate in Barr’s 4 page summary/non-summary and Mueller declined to review it.

Barr looks pretty subdued, fwiw

The Dems are cowards. They should've dropped a subpoena on his desk the morning after his letter, just as they should've subpoena'd Trump's tax returns the day they took power in the House. They're dawdling about so they can make the "well we tried asking nicely first" pitch because they think that would sway a bunch of imaginary voters that don't actually exist while Trump purges the executive branch of any remaining employees committed to actually following the law. By the time they get around time to actually trying to exert any real power they will have lost the practical ability to do so. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Clearly triggering me ?  You might wanna get new glasses or adjust your triggering meter. You ain't triggered shit. Hillary lost, and that made me happy.  

END OF STORY.

I went to Pompeii to see a volcanic eruption. I was glad the volcano erupted. I wouldn't change a thing. END OF STORY.

He's not dodging the Republican's leading questions about the report with "that's all I'm going to say about that" mumbo jumbo.

As you can see, the Repubs clearly do NOT want any transparency. "It's done, it's over" is their creedo.

Funny how we never heard such a thought ever applied to any of their Hillary investigations.

• Like 1

What does Barr gain as a person from taking on the role of shielding a villain? His name will forever be tied to Trump which he must see as a poor legacy. What's the payoff for volunteering to be a scumbag?

I know the right rewards their knaves with speaking engagements, book buys, and other perqs. Maybe that's enough.

I'm not talking about just being Trump's lawyer. Everybody deserves representation. I'm talking about taking the job of AG to run interference for a lawless degenerate like Trump. John Mitchell was at least a long-time Nixon man, so you can see the connection. 

I'm just mystified when I stand back and wonder why individuals choose what they choose. 

I guess you could contrast Mueller not wanting to look at Barr's letter. Mueller didn't want his name to give a single speck of credibility to a likely whitewash. On the other side, you have Barr leaping head first into the pus pit.

Perhaps I'm just naive about the motives of men.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

What does Barr gain as a person from taking on the role of shielding a villain? His name will forever be tied to Trump which he must see as a poor legacy. What's the payoff for volunteering to be a scumbag?

I know the right rewards their knaves with speaking engagements, book buys, and other perqs. Maybe that's enough.

I'm not talking about just being Trump's lawyer. Everybody deserves representation. I'm talking about taking the job of AG to run interference for a lawless degenerate like Trump. John Mitchell was at least a long-time Nixon man, so you can see the connection. 

I'm just mystified when I stand back and wonder why individuals choose what they choose. 

I guess you could contrast Mueller not wanting to look at Barr's letter. Mueller didn't want his name to give a single speck of credibility to a likely whitewash. On the other side, you have Barr leaping head first into the pus pit.

In his confirmation hearing, the most popular question was, "Why the hell do you want this job?"

Obviously we weren't going to get a straight answer on that but my guess is he's an old school GOP team player.  His history is awesome:  GHW Bush CIA experience, Iran Contra, etc.

He's a GOP inside man ringer serving his country by serving the republican party. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

“But Hillary!”

”Both SiDeS!”

”The system is broken because it gave us Hillary!”

lulz

The mental gymnastics required to deflect from the current state of the White House is amazing.

Hillary’s primary flaw was being the subject of a decades long campaign of bashing by Fox News, talking heads, radio hosts to the point that people just accept that “Hillary = corruption” without any evidence. 

Stroking out at any mention of Hillary is a behavior common to both the extreme right and the wingnut left. Try to escalate the dose on the meds a bit and see if that helps level you out. 

We dodged a bullet (Hillary).  Groovy.

But in running away from that bullet, we took shelter in an exposed position.  So today, like, right now, we're having artillery rain down on us.  And when any of us dare suggest that we should take measures against the artillery landing on our position RIGHT NOW....the answer is "no, we should divert all of our resources to going out and getting the sniper who fired that bullet at us the other day."

That strategy is EXACTLY how you end up with this as a country:

l_37.jpg

There is nothing that Trump can do that is not excused, forgiven, and flat-out lied about (seriously?  Did you read Bagofhammers bit about "he HAS to do business with foreigners?"  See, there's clearly no difference between doing business with a person from a foreign country and doing business with a foreign government.  None at all.  The disingenuous bullshit faucet is stuck on "open" with these folks)....so long as they can just cover it all up with a blanket "but Hillary."

Never in human history have two words excused so much.

Yeah, let's devote everything to going after yesterday's sniper.  I mean, what damage can a constant artillery barrage REALLY do?

• Like 2

Barr is testifying before the House appropriations subcommittee about the Justice Department budget. He detailed President Trump's budget requests and how the Justice Department would use the funds.

Remember: Even if Attorney General William Barr declines to speak about the special counsel probe at this hearing, he is coming back to Capitol Hill on May 1 and May 2 for hearings specifically to answer questions about the Mueller investigation.

Those hearings will be before the Senate and House Judiciary Committees.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/barr-congress-04-09-2019/index.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe we should question the state of our democratic institutions that gave us the choice between Donald trump and Hillary Clinton for president. 

That's like saying we should question our children playing with matches as the house burns down. Let's put out the fire first and then whoop their asses. 

4 minutes ago, Winona's Big Orange Bevo said:

That's like saying we should question our children playing with matches as the house burns down. Let's put out the fire first and then whoop their asses. 

I think that pics of craters and "house burns down" is a bit hyperbolic, but I don't fundamentally disagree. I said that Trump should be removed from office via the 25th amendment after Helsinki. Given that Mueller does not appear able to establish that Trump coordinated or conspired with Russia during the election, the democrats won't impeach him, and the Senate won't remove him. He won't get removed from office over a marginal obstruction case. He'll be removed at the ballot box in 2020, and despite the hysterics the world with still revolve on its axis and the Republic will maintain its course, for whatever that is worth. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Barr is not Trump's lawyer.  He represents us, not Trump.  Not that you can tell from his actions.  

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Barr is not Trump's lawyer.  He represents us, not Trump.  Not that you can tell from his actions.  

I thought I was drawing that distinction. As Trump's lawyer, his actions would be understandable as an attorney's duty. To take the job of AG and to use that position to further or defend the actions of a vile president is not one's duty. As you say, it's actually antithetical to that duty.

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

and the Republic will maintain its course, for whatever that is worth. 

We weren't on a dream flight before.  But if you don't think that having the entire apparatus of the Federal Government pushing down on the stick to put us in a dive so hard it would make a malfunctioning 737 Max blush is a material and negative alteration of that course, come the fuck on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I thought I was drawing that distinction. As Trump's lawyer, his actions would be understandable as an attorney's duty. To take the job of AG and to use that position to further or defend the actions of a vile president is not one's duty. As you say, it's actually antithetical to that duty.

Maybe I misread.   It's a running thing that is ridiculous-- this expectation that federal government employees should be loyal to trump.  They all work for us, but that their loyalty is to trump has been normalized at this point.  Actually, long before this point.  Hell, when Sally Yates was fired, the letter stated she wasn't loyal to trump, and that was all but ignored by everyone who just concentrated on other shit in that letter.  If DOJ lawyers including the AG are working for trump as opposed to the American people, then rule of law is over and we're a banana republic.  And, well, spoiler, we are already a banana republic.  But still on the cocaine high unaware that rule of law already died.

• Like 3

Barr’s son works within the White House I believe. I doubt that is Barr’s motivation though.

I suspect his primary motivation is he wants to protect the gop and maintain the redistribution of wealth to the upper class, which he likely believes is best for the US. Getting the country to move on from Mueller increases the odds that wealth redistribution continues.

Edited by GW Hayduke

It would fascinating to unravel the spaghetti knot that is the R crime syndicate. How would you ever unwind all the favors for friends of friends and all of the implied blackmail b/c of skeletons in R closets? It's amazing to witness the bullpen of soulless Rs on which Trump can draw.

Edited by retread

The way the democrats are playing this is basically like, “Go ahead Trump, do your worst, destroy as much as possible, we’re not going to stop you.  Do you need anymore gasoline for your fires?  Because we can multi-task.  Just don’t forget to take the GOP with you on your kamikaze mission.  We look forward to being the kings of the ashes once you burn it all down.  Be best.”

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The way the democrats are playing this is basically like, “Go ahead Trump, do your worst, destroy as much as possible, we’re not going to stop you.  Do you need anymore gasoline for your fires?  Because we can multi-task.  Just don’t forget to take the GOP with you on your kamikaze mission.  We look forward to being the kings of the ashes once you burn it all down.  Be best.”

The Democrats are playing this exactly right. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The Democrats are playing this exactly right. 

Debatable.  I’m not saying it’s a bad strategy but it’s going to have a lot of collateral damage with a body count.   If the democrats were as good at political warfare as the republicans it would be a terrible strategy.

I suppose the Dems have come to accept they suck and Trump can hurt the GOP way more than they ever could.  The country may bleed to death on the way down tho...

• Like 2