The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thing is, I don't think he was being a pussy.  He was trying to elevate his own profile and engender the loyalty of those he thought could help his political career.  Two-times, two-times.

I never understood this angle with Comey.  What political career?  Maybe he wanted to elevate himself as a moral leader in the ocean of corruption because he’s kind of an egomaniacal Boy Scout but I never got the impression he was going to run for office.  

The way I see it, Comey did what he felt right at the time because his alternative was to say nothing and have Lynch put out a statement.  He got worked by the Republicans and the right wing media machine that brow beat him.  He fucked up but I understand why he fucked up. The problem with Comey is he still can’t admit he fucked up.

A lot of people want Comey to be a bad actor because it fits their narrative. Either to support their deep state fantasy, their questions on the birth or the Russia investigation, to blame him for trump winning, to protect trump from the obstruction accusation, or just to ignore his message - they don’t like the idea that someone would introduce the idea of moral duty into our justice system. 

Some folks want to label him a grifter just wanting to sell books. Other folks want to label him a guy “wanting to elevate his career” whatever that means. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s reasonable to speculate there is still a large counterintelligence investigation underway involving Trump/Russia.  

However, assuming it’s been compartmentalized away from Barr/Wray, we will likely not hear anything about it until after Trump is out of office and even then it might be years before anything gets declassified. 

This dude Patrick Byrne is great. He's definitely the key to unlocking this whole thing.

ETA: Holy shit, you got to watch the whole interview. This dude is great.

The FBI gave me "fishy" orders to have a romantic relationship with Maria Butina. I didn't do it, never laid a finger on her because it would disgrace our country and Maria. But at the same time I set up X, Y, and Z in the Obama Administration for some felony charges. 

LOFL. Fishy orders.

Edited by Anastasis

All of Abramson's tweets about what Patrick Byrne was saying, especially in the Fox interview is interesting. I guess this dovetails with the information in his books. Not sure I totally follow what he is saying but he seems to believe that Patrick Byrne is describing the beginning of the Russia investigation. And that X,Yand Z  in the FBI are Strozk, McCabe and Comey. Abramson also thinks this new information exculpates them, even though Byrne says something to the effect that he intended to get them indicted.

Interesting stuff, but I don't really understand it after the initial read of all his tweets.

Edited by burntorangebongos

Comey is such a dick. He totally should have just given Trump total and complete loyalty. That is what we need from our public servants. Why didn’t he just go on TV and say the Russia thing was fake news like trump wanted. If he had done that, he’d still be in the FBI. Comey is an asshole. 

The actual Muller Report has faded from our consciousness and is old news, but . . . I am six weeks in on the podcast “The Report” by Lawfare and it is a must-listen.  It is a serial podcast meant to break down every aspect of Muller’s Report.  Even-handed, and has great real audio, Report excerpts and interviews that really educate what was going on in front and behind the scenes. 

• Like 4

James Comey's mishandling of the e-mails situation is why Trump is the president. Without Comey's profound incompetence/negligence/hubris, there is no President Trump to whistleblow on or investigate.

He is the fucking WORST. At least Trump is nakedly avaricious. Comey is a pious piece of shit.

How does anyone not understand this?

Also, he's a fucking cop.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

James Comey's mishandling of the e-mails situation is why Trump is the president. Without Comey's profound incompetence/negligence/hubris, there is no President Trump to whistleblow on or investigate.

He is the fucking WORST. At least Trump is nakedly avaricious. Comey is a pious piece of shit.

How does anyone not understand this?

Also, he's a fucking cop.

Berni Bro, Assange Bro, Bro that thinks the best path forward is to divide the left, Bro forced to vote for trump: just happens to be spouting the same talking points against the former director of the FBI as Trump, the GOP and the far-right media. 

The President also told the Russian Foreign Minister, ‘I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job.

I don't understand black and white only people. Let's employ some nuance please. Yes Comey was a self-indulgent piece of shit for how he handled the Hillary emails. On the other hand he was correct in releasing the Trump memos and exposing extreme corruption in the executive branch. People are complex and capable of doing both good and bad things.

The IG is wrong in chastising Comey for not "taking other appropriate avenues" to address Trump's corruption. What are those other avenues IG Horowitz? Going to Rosenstein? To Sessions? To Trump? He had no other legitimate avenues to expose Trump's behavior other than releasing the memos to the public. Most of the legal analysis I've read online supports this view. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Zombie said:

I don't understand black and white only people. Let's employ some nuance please. Yes Comey was a self-indulgent piece of shit for how he handled the Hillary emails. On the other hand he was correct in releasing the Trump memos and exposing extreme corruption in the executive branch. People are complex and capable of doing both good and bad things.

The IG is wrong in chastising Comey for not "taking other appropriate avenues" to address Trump's corruption. What are those other avenues IG Horowitz? Going to Rosenstein? To Sessions? To Trump? He had no other legitimate avenues to expose Trump's behavior other than releasing the memos to the public. Most of the legal analysis I've read online supports this view. 

To get a solid grasp of the nuance of the IG report, folks should check out this Wittis article.

The Inspector General of the Justice Department has determined that it is misconduct for a law enforcement officer to publicly disclose an effort to shut down his investigation.

Michael Horowitz would probably not describe his findings that way. But that seems to me the inescapable message of the inspector general’s report, released today, on former Director James Comey’s handling of his memos on his interactions with President Trump.

To be sure, you have to read through a lot of pages, facts, and argument to get there. But get there you do if you read the document carefully. It’s an extraordinary message for an inspector general to send. And it warrants scrutiny.

For all that Horowitz spent two years on this investigation, there aren’t a lot of new facts—at least not major ones—in this document. The reason is simple: Comey has never been anything but straightforward concerning why he wrote the seven memos in question, what he did with them, whom he shared them with and what his motives were in doing so. On all significant factual questions, the 62-page report merely fleshes out a story that has been known to the public for the better part of two years.

What the report adds is loud condemnation. Horowitz reserves the last 10 pages of the report for howling about how Comey “violated applicable policies and his Employment Agreement,” about his release of “official FBI information and records to third parties without authorization,” and about his failure to “immediately alert the FBI” when he learned that material he had given his lawyers “contained six words . . . that the FBI had determined were classified at the ‘CONFIDENTIAL’” level.

Most of all, however, he’s upset by Comey’s “unauthorized disclosure of sensitive law enforcement information about the [Michael] Flynn investigation.”

The rest can be read here https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-comey-email-report-really-says

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Comey did extremely shitty things that someone in his position shouldn't have done that landed us President Trump

Comey then did extremely normal thing that anyone in his position should do

That doesn't even out, cop-kissers

At least read the IG report before you start spouting Trump, GOP, and right wing talking points 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Comey did extremely shitty things that someone in his position shouldn't have done that landed us President Trump

Comey then did extremely normal thing that anyone in his position should do

That doesn't even out, cop-kissers

Goddamn you're a beating. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and millennial voters already outnumbered the olds in 2018. It will be even more pronounced in a year.

This.

2016 was the last year that the boomers controlled elections. They of course royally fucked it up as always and fortunately it won’t happen again. 

And its not just boomers dying off,  its mainly millennials all becoming voting age and getting older so they are more likely to vote. The boomer majority nightmare that has held sway for 40 years is finally, finally, coming to an end. 

Us generation X’rs usually don’t matter except this one time, and one time only, we can actually provide the swing vote to counter the boomers higher voting rate (cause they old) and the millennials somewhat lower voting rate (they more of dem but dey youngs).

So let’s not fuck that up. K? Thx ok bie. 

The thing about the Comey foofaraw is that he chose to write down things in memos.  Those memos then became FBI/DOJ property and were then subject to the non-disclosure rules he violated.

Thing is, though, the memos are entirely self-serving.  They aren't corroborated, or witnessed; other than being contemporaneous, they hold no evidentiary value beyond what Comey could just say in public.

I suppose in the current environment, because they were "leaked," they received more attention than Comey just going on Nightline and recounting what Trump said, and maybe were given more credibility.

This.
2016 was the last year that the boomers controlled elections. They of course royally fucked it up as always and fortunately it won’t happen again. 
And its not just boomers dying off,  its mainly millennials all becoming voting age and getting older so they are more likely to vote. The boomer majority nightmare that has held sway for 40 years is finally, finally, coming to an end. 
Us generation X’rs usually don’t matter except this one time, and one time only, we can actually provide the swing vote to counter the boomers higher voting rate (cause they old) and the millennials somewhat lower voting rate (they more of dem but dey youngs).
So let’s not fuck that up. K? Thx ok bie. 

Millennials have all been old enough to vote for 5-6 years now. The youngest of that cohort is around 23-24.

They just don’t vote. I hope and think this election will see their participation rise dramatically,

Us Gen Xers need to turn up big; you’re correct.

It’s the Gen Z kids that I’m interested in.

Both my kids are Gen Zers and they’ll be 18 and 21 by the 2020 election. These are the March For Our Lives kids. They’re unusually engaged at a much younger age than any other current generation.

I’m praying that translates to high voter participation. I’d say 65% of these kids despise Trump and Republicans. And I’m going by kids that live in Alabama. I expect that percentage is much higher elsewhere.

Per PEW Gen Z will be 10% of eligible voters in 2020 compared to Silent Gen and older at 9%. Boomers, X and millenials are all similar at 28%, 27% and 26%. If Gen Z shows up and votes things will be very ugly for Republicans.

By 2024 the Boomers will be 25% and the silent and older group less than 7%. The Republican party will be strictly regional at that point until they reinvent themselves.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Got damn, bad teammate, a proveyer of right wing talking points now. Sheiiit, now I've seen everything.

If one were inclined to view politics as a team sport, his handle would be an accurate description of how he'd be seen by Democratic Party faithfuls.

• Like 1