Texas Spring Football Game 2018

Fug

All I know is that we need to start paying Orlando 3 million a year. 
Not until someone seriously threatens to take him away, gotta leave some bargaining room instead of paying P5 HC money to a coordinator for no reason.

Beyond that, might want to wait and see how the D performs when the games count. (I believe they'll be good, but still..)

So you think the true freshman QBs are as good as Sam or Shane right now?

Abso-fuckin-lutely..

As long as we can persuade all of our opponents to use mostly 2nd-3rd teamers (with a walk-on or two) on defense when we play them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Ehlinger appears to be the best option this year.  After that, I think all bets are off.  The young guys have strong, accurate arms and Thompson has plus plus wheels.  Rising already looks comfortable back there.  Nice to have a room full of legit options going forward.

If we had an offensive line and at least an average running back, Shane in my opinion would really do well given his skill set.  However, Shane is not suited to take off running for his life like the line has required the last couple of years.  In absence of an offensive line and a running game, Ehlinger is probably a better option given his ability to run.  Sam's confidence does not meet his ability level.  With a O-line that is going to break down Sam's running probably puts him ahead but if they use him as their primary running game again, he is going to get knocked out of games.  I would take Shane's passing accuracy any day if we could protect him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

If we had an offensive line and at least an average running back, Shane in my opinion would really do well given his skill set.  However, Shane is not suited to take off running for his life like the line has required the last couple of years.  In absence of an offensive line and a running game, Ehlinger is probably a better option given his ability to run.  Sam's confidence does not meet his ability level.  With a O-line that is going to break down Sam's running probably puts him ahead but if they use him as their primary running game again, he is going to get knocked out of games.  I would take Shane's passing accuracy any day if we could protect him.

Shane knew he wasn’t going to get hit and still he plays scared. Ehlinger was never going to look great in this format.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shaking my head. Shack starts for another season because Kersetter is our only option at RT. I'd like E-Rod to get a long, hard look at center. I'm very bearish on Shack. 

Oak has to move inside the minute Anderson reports. The guard competition could theoretically be spirited. Hudson, Vahe, Oak,  and Tope Imade. 

I'd be careful with redshirting Junior Angilau. I think he needs to stay engaged and part of the team, or maybe he takes another look at that mission trip. 

Agree with Elijah Rodriguez at Center provided that Ohio State grad transfer (Burrell??) does not materialize. Shack should be for depth purposes--maybe can he be a decent RG.

No way in hell Angilau should see time as a true freshman. If he gets redshirted, he's locked in with UT if he decides to go on that mission trip. Sure it may hurt depth on the OL (unsure if he'll end up at tackle or guard), but he (like all OL) need at least a year of weight room/practice before seeing the field and he's not on campus yet. Burning his redshirt is not a good move.

Went to the spring game and first thing I told my kid was that the defense looked big and athletic. Like Alabama level.

Offense looked notably better in execution and body language. I'm optimistic for a ball control offense with a salty defense. I like what Herman is building. Koolaid flowing. Shown me a loss!

Has anyone watched other spring games? They all looked boring, sloppy, and every team struggled in one or two aspects. (Minus Clemson...they looked good everywhere) I'm not saying our game was inspiring but for all you people thinking we will suck this year, you cant gather shit from any spring game. Especially one that mixes the teams up without true 1st or 2nd teams.

We’ve sucked for 9 years straight. Can you really blame people for thinking we’ll suck for an even 10?

I thought we looked better than I expected. My biggest concern was offensive consistency, again. 

Our D looked solid. It's crazy to think we can actually be better than last year with the players we have lost. 

The RBs didn't look very good, but there is no depth at the position right now, and they weren't running behind our actual 2018 O-line. I think we will be OK. I don't expect the O to be lights-out this season, but I do expect them to be better and more consistent. 

It wont take much to win 10 games this year, barring injury. Our conference competition lost a lot of key players. We just need to not shit the bed week after week, which is something we haven't done for years. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CTC2 said:

People have been pushing this theory for 2 years and it's patently false. 

Shane is not accurate deep. It was on display again yesterday when he overthrew 2 deep routes badly. There was no pressure on him. 

Shane can't throw over the middle of the field.  

So in essense, Shane is super accurate on checkdowns and outs. Which is around 20% of the field. Yay

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Funny how much better our much maligned OC would look if these things were true as well.

I read the comments on here before watching the Spring Game.

What I expected to see based on what I read here...

1. Buechele and Ehlinger throwing mostly incompletions and throwing for about 100 yards combined.
2. Thompson and Rising looking amazing and hitting most of their throws.

What I actually saw...

1. Buechele and Ehlinger completing most of their passes for well over 100 yards each.  Intermediate passing game looking okay.  Misses on deep throws.
2. Thompson and Rising looking like freshman but showing some flashes.

Edited by fellside
  • Like 5

I read the comments on here before watching the Spring Game.
What I expected to see based on what I read here...
1. Buechele and Ehlinger throwing mostly incompletions and throwing for about 100 yards combined.
2. Thompson and Rising looking amazing and hitting most of their throws.
What I actually saw...
1. Buechele and Ehlinger completing most of their passes for well over 100 yards each.  Intermediate passing game looking okay.  Misses on deep throws.
2. Thompson and Rising looking like freshman but showing some flashes.
New to the sha..umm..surly?
  • Like 2

Hand-wringing about the spring game is shaggy/surly tradition. But remember that we mixed up 1s and 2s, so we never saw a complete side of either offense or defense that we'll actually see come fall. Hard to know what to make of that offensively. The arrival of Anderson and Ingram will make a big difference, our WRs and LJH look legit, and we finally have QB depth. Defense looks great, even with the departures from last year (and no Gary Johnson in the spring game). Guys actually made open-field tackles.

I'm looking forward to winning 8 or 9 games this year.

10 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Hand-wringing about the spring game is shaggy/surly tradition. But remember that we mixed up 1s and 2s, so we never saw a complete side of either offense or defense that we'll actually see come fall. Hard to know what to make of that offensively. The arrival of Anderson and Ingram will make a big difference, our WRs and LJH look legit, and we finally have QB depth. Defense looks great, even with the departures from last year (and no Gary Johnson in the spring game). Guys actually made open-field tackles.

I'm looking forward to winning 8 or 9 games this year.

The argument can be made that we have yet to see a complete side of the offense. The defense may have looked great because of that fact. 

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Shane is not accurate deep. It was on display again yesterday when he overthrew 2 deep routes badly. There was no pressure on him. 

So in essense, Shane is super accurate on checkdowns and outs. Which is around 20% of the field. Yay

GDGD is salivating.

Edited by runthebone

15 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Went to the spring game and first thing I told my kid was that the defense looked big and athletic. Like Alabama level.

Offense looked notably better in execution and body language. I'm optimistic for a ball control offense with a salty defense. I like what Herman is building. Koolaid flowing. Shown me a loss!

Username checks out

39 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I'm looking forward to winning 8 or 9 games this year. Show me a loss.

fify

I am a fan of Shane. He is a good team player and I think he has given everything he can to the program, and I think he is a valuable asset, especially considering how Sam seems to be used as a human battering ram. The usual argument for him starting is that he is more accurate than Sam. However, accuracy is only one aspect of being a successful quarterback and I did not see significant growth from him in other ares, such as decisiveness mobility and leadership. However, if you compare Sam's performance from Saturday to Sam's performance in the 2017 Spring Game, you can see a huge growth in comfort, accuracy and decision-making. IMHO, the real battle for the starting QB's is not this Fall, but Spring 2019 between Sam and the two true freshman. 

• Like 2

Herman made a comment in the post game about being pleased with the improvement in the O-line, which he made clear wasn't evident in the Spring Game due to shuffling guys in and not ever having the best 5 together.

He doesn't seem like the type to speak positively about a position group unless he means it.

Just now, fellside said:

Herman made a comment in the post game about being pleased with the improvement in the O-line, which he made clear wasn't evident in the Spring Game due to shuffling guys in and not ever having the best 5 together.

He doesn't seem like the type to speak positively about a position group unless he means it.

He called the o line last year the best unit since the one he won the national championship with at Ohio State.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He called the o line last year the best unit since the one he won the national championship with at Ohio State.

Well, we never got to see last years o line.

For that reason it's hard for me to get my hopes up about this years o line because you just know there will be at least one major injury. Always is.

5 minutes ago, thepop said:

Well, we never got to see last years o line.

For that reason it's hard for me to get my hopes up about this years o line because you just know there will be at least one major injury. Always is.

Uhhh we saw them for the first two and a half games and they looked god awful against the P5 teams they played.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Never had Beck or E-Rod, both of whom were projected starters.

If you think adding a decent tight end in Beck and a mediocre tackle in Rodriguez was the difference between subpar and national championship-good, then I don't know what to say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Pollo Loco said:

Can't remember how the o line did, but as a whole the offense looked good against Maryland (for whatever that is worth)

Then you and I watched different games. Reggie Hemphill-Mapps, A. Foreman and LJH had good days, but the offense was shitty.

Connor Williams, in particular, got beat several times by that 6th-year defensive end Maryland is returning.

Edited by Machinator

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

He definitely had pressure in his face on the first overthrow, can’t remember on the second one.

24 minutes ago, El Pollo Loco said:

Can't remember how the o line did, but as a whole the offense looked good against Maryland (for whatever that is worth)

I could not disagree more.Texas' offense only scored 20 points and 7 of those were in garbage time. The OL played like shit. Our offense gave up 5 sacks and 8 TFLs. Plus they had 2 turnovers. It was a horrible offensive performance, especially considering Maryland finished 85th in defensive S&P+ for the season.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

35 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Never had Beck or E-Rod, both of whom were projected starters.

Lulz. C'mon man. E-Rod is a JAG at best. He got killed against Mizzou and he would not have held up much better against Maryland. Losing Beck was somewhat of a blow alhtough h'es not on the OL but regardless, Herman's comments about best OL besides tOSU 2014 were clearly either complete bullshit or he truly has no idea how to evaluate the skill of his own teams.  

46 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. C'mon man. E-Rod is a JAG at best. He got killed against Mizzou and he would not have held up much better against Maryland. Losing Beck was somewhat of a blow alhtough h'es not on the OL but regardless, Herman's comments about best OL besides tOSU 2014 were clearly either complete bullshit or he truly has no idea how to evaluate the skill of his own teams.  

herman stepped on his dick with the pre-season OL comment.  IMO He thought they were pretty good and was trying to instill some confidence after likely whipping on their ass good during spring and fall drills.  looked pretty mediocre with Williams and then once he went down the clown show really began and never got better.

This is why we have a new OL coach.  I'm glad Herman didn't like the shit sandwich his aligned OL coach provided  him and did something about it.

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Three plays is plenty of sample size if you are a really determined drama queen.

If we don't boot the opening kick out of the end zone, I will be firing off a sternly worded letter to Chris Del Conte.

15 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I don't know, I really don't want Texas's starting QB to cry like a bitch.

We want Sam to win like Tebow, not act like him.