Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

42 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

maybe if he played more i would have remembered it was ie and not y.

And maybe you would have remembered that it's Wigginton and not Wiggington. 

On the other hand, he did make the most important retrieval of an errant snap in UT history when Happy Feller kicked the extra point that beat Arkansas in 1969, so maybe a little respect is due. 

😃😃

5 minutes ago, ausjala said:

I don't quite understand this. Is Huff now officially on the coaching staff of 10? Love it if it's true, so that he could recruit off-campus.

He’s still the assistant DB coach so he can’t recruit off campus

10 hours ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, BigHorn said:
That doesn't seem like a great decision. 

It's only for a year, Ikea stuff should last at least that long. If it doesn't, simply stuff it in the dumpster and light that shit..

You realize you don't have to burn the stuff in the dumpster, right? Someone will come, you know, take it away for you. 

• Like 1

InsideTexas' predicted starting lineup. Nahlin added that Beck will be the playcallers against Maryland.

My starting predictions are the same as pretty much everyone else’s.

QB - Ehlinger
RB - Young
TE - Beck
XWR - CJ
Slot - LJH
ZWR - Duvernay
LT - Anderson
LG - Vahe
C - Shack
RG - E-Rod
RT - Kerstetter 
----------
DE - Omenihu, Hager
DT - Nelson (Wilbon in four-man)
BLB - McCulloch
Rover - Gary
Mac - Roach (Wheeler really but you asked for week 1)
N - Thompson
BS - Locke
FS - Jones
CB - Boyd, Davis

Edited by satyanash

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

You realize you don't have to burn the stuff in the dumpster, right? Someone will come, you know, take it away for you. 

ousux can get rid of murder evidence the way he wants to, and Eggo, you, alternatively, can get rid of murder evidence however damn well you please as well. There's room here for multiple methodologies. 

Things are quiet. Too quiet. The air has a feeling of an off-season, summer scandal in the making. It could be something right here in Austin with Players Gone Wild, an Aggy meltdown, or perhaps something awesome on the national scale. Still, it seems almost impossible to touch the epic nature of the scandals from the last few years. 

OB War Room Notes - offseason workouts, 7v7, Buechele/Ehlinger, M.Roach, J.Thompson

(From Anwar)

Texas football fans, we are in the slow period of summer right now.

Longhorn football coach Tom Herman gave his staff this week off to relax and recuperate since they have been grinding hard since last year. Since the start of last season, Herman’s staff was off for only three weekends because of the extended recruiting calendar. They had one weekend off after signing day, plus a mini-vacation around spring break. Other than that, they have visited high schools across the county, or hosted recruits, for several months. This week has been one of the rare times most of the staff is off. Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles hosted Vernon Broughton by himself earlier this week, but the staff is enjoying some time away from campus this week.

There is not a lot of new to report right now.

However, the tidbits of information I heard from sources associated with the program were extremely positive this week.

Even though coaches are away from the building, players are still in the midst of offseason workouts. This is the time ofthe year when Texas strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight gets players prepared for the regular season.

In fact, everyone associated with the program was proud to see their players being able to physically hang with every opponent last season. Prior to McKnight’s arrival, the new staff believed players were unable to hold up physically because of their lack of offseason conditioning. That was not an issue last season.

Whenever I have asked about players this offseason, I have heard nothing but positive reports. Last year, the reviews were mixed, but it was easy to attribute those observations to a new staff getting used to its players. However, everything I am hearing this offseason is definitely more positive than the past.

I spoke to a person associated with the program on Thursday who is normally cautious about overpraising players, or diving into the world or hyperbole. The person I spoke to normally takes a wait-and-see approach.

With that being said, Texas fans should be thrilled about what that person said when I asked about offseason workouts.

“Singling any kid out in June is probably not great for business," the person told me. “I can tell you this, it’s been an f-ing unbelievable offseason. Guys are so much bigger, stronger, faster. The freshmen are freaks. The kids like each other. They like coming to work every day. They like their coaches. They like everything about it.”

I asked for specifics names, but I spoke to more than one person associated with the program on Thursday, and nobody wanted to get into details.

One person associated with the program told me Herman currently has something that can best be described as a circle of trust.

Again, I was not given names at this point, but will continue to dig. More importantly, Herman is meeting with players on the team and seeking their input as he attempts to reestablish a championship program at Texas.

“There are around 12 kids, and we’ll just call them the leaders, who once every couple of weeks they talk to the coaches,” I was told. “Tom Herman is the CEO, the coaches are the vice-president, they are the middle management, and the rest of the team are the workers. The kids have been really receptive. It’s been awesome.”

Obviously, everyone is taking a cautious approach since this is the offseason.

The important thing to note is there is way more positivity from within the building now than what I heard last year.

There is a long time before Texas plays in its season opener against Maryland.

However, everyone associated with the program believes everything they are seeing this offseason is a sign of good things to come.

The one question that I am continually asked by Texas fans is for a seven-on-seven update.

In the past, seven-on-seven workouts were a huge deal for the Longhorns. This was the time when quarterbacks were judged on their ability to organize workouts and get players on the same page Seven-on-seven workouts were basically used as another depth chart measuring tool.

Every time I have asked about seven-on-seven workouts this offseason, the response I received reflected how this new staff views that portion of the summer. Longhorn fans and media members are accustomed to reports that hints toward which player might be moving up or down the depth chart.

That is just not the case in Herman’s regime.

Once again, I asked a person associated with the program for a seven-on-seven update. I wanted to know which players have stood up during those workouts.

As usual, I was given the perspective of the current administration.

“They’re important for us, but it’s not football,” I was told. “Jordan Pouncey could go out there and catch 12 balls and four touchdowns, and we’re good. What does that say about Jordan Pouncey? It says nothing about Jordan Pouncey. I’m just using him as an example. We love Jordan. We have a hard time comprehending why anybody would see that as anything different than a drill. It’s a drill. It’s not football. Collin Johnson had zero catches in last week’s seven-on-seven. Oh my God, the house is on fire. No, it’s not.

“Anwar, you can frame seven-on-seven however you want. It’s not really anything other than a drill. There’s nothing to be gleaned by performances in seven-on-seven. Zero. Not even one percent. Zero percent.”

A few years ago, Shane Buechele was viewed as the savior of this Texas football program.

Buechele was expected to lead Texas out of the land of mediocre quarterbacks into the realm of championship football. He was ranked as the top dual-threat quarterback in Texas by Rivals in 2016. He passed for 6,379 yards and 73 touchdowns while rushing for 1,805 yards and 21 touchdowns during his tenure at Lamar. Buechele was an early enrollee, which added to the hype. The legend of Buechele grew as former coach football coach Charlie Strong began sharing stories.

Prior to the season, Buechele was working throwing with his teammates one night when the stadium lights turned off. Buechele called Strong and asked if he could travel to campus and turn on the lights. When Strong politely declined, Buechele led his team to the streets of Austin, which is where they practiced. The videos were posted on social media, and Texas observers drank that Kool-Aid like they were at a frat house. Of course, there was the summer of ping-pong, and Buechele was praised for his competitiveness in those games. He was running all competitors off the table. Yes, Buechele’s ability to dominate on the ping-pong table was supposed to magically lead to success on the football field. Boy, those were fun times.

A few years later, Buechele is facing a make-or-break season at Texas.

Most Texas observers believe this is Sam Ehlinger’s job to lose. Ehlinger is young, showed flashes of potential, is a tough runner, and seemingly has more upside than Buechele. Many observers believe Buechele hit his ceiling at Texas, meaning it is time to see if Ehlinger can lead this team. We know Texas football coach Tom Herman has a man-crush on Ehlinger. Herman praised Ehlinger for his ability to lead and alpha male characteristics repeatedly prior to last season. I have never checked Herman’s phone, but his screen saver might be an action shot of Ehlinger.

All jokes aside, we cannot ignore that when 100 percent healthy, Buechele received the nod over Ehlinger twice last season. Buechele started in the season opener against Maryland, and after Ehlinger’s costly interception against Texas Tech in the season finale, Herman decided his freshman should come off the bench during the Texas Bowl.

In addition, when I drove to Houston last month and asked Herman how he hoped the situation with Buechele and would play out this year, and if both quarterbacks might play, he still does not have an unquestionable No.1 guy.

“My hope is that one separates themselves, and that one could certainly be one of the true freshmen,” Herman said. “They’ve got a bit of a bigger hill to climb than the other two based on experience, but my hope is one of them separates themselves. The thing that gets overlooked a lot of times about evaluating quarterbacks, when you have a quarterback competition, so to speak, which every year, to be quite frank, we’re going to have a quarterback competition. We’re never going to [Herman paused] just because you were the guy last year, you can prop your feet up and be comfortable and not go out and practice and perform in practice.

“The difficult thing in evaluating quarterbacks in practice is they’re non-contact. So much of that position is you’re going to take hits, and how do you get back from that hit. How do you stand in the pocket knowing that you’re going to get hit? How do you avoid hits? There’s a lot that goes into the evaluation. I struggled. I thought long and hard this spring for one scrimmage taking the black jerseys off our guys. I couldn’t do it because I couldn’t live with myself if a guy got dinged up in practice. They good thing is, at least the two veterans have some game film that we know. Do we know how they’ve improved in certain areas in regards to the physicality of the game? No, we don’t. My hope is that one of them separates, and he’ll be the guy. If both deserve to play, and that’s not beyond the realm of possibility, but that’s certainly not ideal. I get that. It’s not ideal, but if they both deserve to play, they deserve to play.”

Buechele should not be in this situation.

However, it is not totally unexpected.

Before Herman’s arrival, I had a conversation with a member of the previous staff about Buechele. It was after Texas’ victory against Notre Dame in the 2016 season opener. Buechele completed 16-of-26 passes for 280 yards (true freshman record) during the 50-47 overtime victory. He has two passing touchdowns and scored one rushing. Hours after the game, my phone rang. The caller was giddy with excitement and repeatedly said, “I told you Shane was the truth.”

However, one part of that conversation still stands out.

He said this team could win for a few years with Buechele, but when Ehlinger stepped on campus, he would eventually blow every quarterback at Texas out of the water.

Obviously, things did not go according to the previous staff’s plan, but it is safe to say after 19 starts and 21 appearances, Buechele should not be in a close race with a guy only one year removed from high school.

Buechele has thrown for 4,363 passing yards, 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions during two seasons at Texas. He is the ninth player in school history to surpass 4,000 passing yards in a career. His quarterback rating is 132.8. Yet, those numbers do not tell the entire story.

The junior quarterback has struggled to play well consistently since that Notre Dame win in 2016.

During his first season as a starter, Texas finished 5-7 under Buechele. He threw three interceptions against Kansas, a loss that prompted President Greg Fenves and Mike Perrin, former athletic director, to hop a plane and prevent Herman from joining LSU. Buechele started in nine games last season, but only threw multiple touchdowns in one game (two against Maryland). He struggles to consistently connect on deep throws. He struggles under pressure, which often leads to sacks. If Buechele’s first option is not open, he often struggles to speed through his progressions to make the right pass, scramble to avoid pressure, or simply throw the ball away. Herman and offensive coordinator Tim Beck tried to help Buechele in those areas last season, but it was a constant struggle.

To be fair, this is not all on Buechele.

- He did not have the luxury of stepping into a quarterback room full of good veterans. Tyrone Swoopes was the only veteran with playing time that year, while Matthew Merrick was the team's third quarterback. Swoopes is a tight end in the NFL and Merrick is no longer playing football.

- Buechele did have two offensive coordinators in two years. Former Texas offensive coordinator Sterling Gilbert tried to hide Buechele’s weaknesses and only asked him to make simple throws, rarely challenging the middle of an opponent’s defense. Herman’s offense requires quarterbacks to take more risks.

- It is easy to knock Buechele for feeling the pressure, but Texas did allow 30 sacks in 2016, followed by 34 last season. The offensive line has played poorly during Buechele’s tenure, and it is easy to see why he rarely felt comfortable in the pocket.

I spoke to a person associated with the program this week and was given a pretty good observation. When we spoke about the quarterback situation at Texas, that person said there are about 10 plays a game where even if the defense guesses right, it should not matter because the quarterback made a play. NBA teams know LeBron James and Kevin Durant will get the ball, but it does not matter. Obviously, nobody is comparing Buechele to those superstars. The overall point is no matter what, a good quarterback makes it happen. If he picks up a blitz and escapes, a defensive coordinator might be hesitant to attack again, as an example.

It is hard to gauge what Buechele’s future at Texas looks like if he is not a starter this year.

If Ehlinger won the competition and was viewed as one of the Big 12’s best passers, Buechele would need to decide if he wants to hang around go elsewhere. If Ehlinger is injured, or struggles, Buechele might be ready to take the next step as a quarterback. Heck, Herman might play both quarterbacks in the season opener and go with the hot hand. Nobody knows exactly how this competition will play out.

The fun of ping-pong tournaments is over.

Buechele is facing a make-or-break season at Texas.

[IMG]
Photo via AP

Three Texas players I'd buy stock in if I could ...
[IMG]

Sam Ehlinger - I went back and watched the Kansas State/Oklahoma games from last year this week to get a reminder of what Ehlinger looked like at his best as a true freshman, since his best work transpired before the calendar flipped to November. He flat out carried the team at home against the Wildcats. It was striking to see how much command he had in that game, considering he didn't always exhibit the same amount of poise and production down the homestretch of his first season. As for the Oklahoma game, you could make the case that he was one of the five best players in that game. It's easy to forget that in a marginally perfect world, he'd be a redshirt freshman instead of a sophomore and his best football should be ahead of him. I wonder if he's being slept on as a potential difference-maker in the Big 12 because if those two performances that I'm referencing had occurred at the end of the season, rather than the middle, the conversation about him this off-season would be quite different.

Malcolm Roach - A year ago, I thought Roach had a legit chance of emerging as the best defensive player in the Big 12 under Todd Orlando. Then, Roach dealt with a turf toe injury in training camp and he just never seemed to truly take off during a time when he played through not being 100 percent. Well, I'm going back to the well in 2018. If he can stay healthy, I think Roach is the potential star on this team that very few people are talking about as a star.

Josh Thompson - Everyone is focused on the kids from the 2018 class, and justifiably so, but don't take your eyes off of the second-year sophomore who was last year's future star in the making. This is a kid with a Sunday ceiling, so get your stock while it's as low as it's ever going to be.

This is the good shit right here: 

Whenever I have asked about players this offseason, I have heard nothing but positive reports. Last year, the reviews were mixed, but it was easy to attribute those observations to a new staff getting used to its players. However, everything I am hearing this offseason is definitely more positive than the past.

I spoke to a person associated with the program on Thursday who is normally cautious about overpraising players, or diving into the world or hyperbole. The person I spoke to normally takes a wait-and-see approach.

With that being said, Texas fans should be thrilled about what that person said when I asked about offseason workouts.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Is he still with the rams? Always liked the other MB, don't think he had anything better than a mildly decent to poor line to run behind during his time on the 40..

Signed his ERFA tender this year. He was always splitting his carries with Johnathan Grey and Joe Bergeron (who stole all the goal line TDs). 

More from Nahlin:

- Gary Johnson is working out with the rest of the team and is close to 100%

- Estell is "very close" as well.

- Eagles' hands are fine. He has to get open and use his size better.

- Tre Watson and Calvin Anderson are in good shape.

- LJH, Heard, and Curtis is the slot 3-deep and it'll be tough for a freshman to supplant any of them.

- D-line and secondary look like the best position groups. O-line is the shakiest.

I think he will be our 3rd down back and take over full-time (or >50% of carries) if Carter or Young have ball security issues. Then, you also have the Freshman that should get at least 5 touches a game. 

RB depth....what’s that???

More from Nahlin:

- Gary Johnson is working out with the rest of the team and is close to 100%

- Estell is "very close" as well.

- Eagles' hands are fine. He has to get open and use his size better.

- Tre Watson and Calvin Anderson are in good shape.

- LJH, Heard, and Curtis is the slot 3-deep and it'll be tough for a freshman to supplant any of them.

- D-line and secondary look like the best position groups. O-line is the shakiest.

I still don’t buy into DL being the best position group.

Edit: my rank

DB

WR

DL

QB

LB

ST

OL

TE

RB

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I still don’t buy into DL being the best position group.

Edit: my rank

DB

WR

DL

QB

LB

ST

OL

TE

RB

I think if you broke down some of the bigger position groups into subgroups (DL --> DT and DE; DB --> CB and S; OL --> interior and OT; WR --> outside WR and inside WR), DE would be at or near the top. Omenihu and Hager are as good a starting tandem as you could hope for in the Big 12, and I think Bimage and Graham will provide superior depth. Interior DL is more of a question, though, even with Nelson's return.

Here's my ranking:

DE

CB

Outside WR

S (includes the nickel back)

Inside WR

DT

LB

QB

RB

Interior OL

TE

OT

I have no idea where to slot our special teams.

Orangebloods is just slightly less wretched in regards to credibility than CowChip Brown. I wouldn't give them too much credit, as they will say and do anything for clicks, including interviewing themselves and inventing fictional posters on their stupid forum. 

I think if you broke down some of the bigger position groups into subgroups (DL --> DT and DE; DB --> CB and S; OL --> interior and OT; WR --> outside WR and inside WR), DE would be at or near the top. Omenihu and Hager are as good a starting tandem as you could hope for in the Big 12, and I think Bimage and Graham will provide superior depth. Interior DL is more of a question, though, even with Nelson's return.
Here's my ranking:
DE
CB
Outside WR
S (includes the nickel back)
Inside WR
DT
LB
QB
RB
Interior OL
TE
OT
I have no idea where to slot our special teams.

Ya this is right on the money.

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Orangebloods is just slightly less wretched in regards to credibility than CowChip Brown. I wouldn't give them too much credit, as they will say and do anything for clicks, including interviewing themselves and inventing fictional posters on their stupid forum. 

Can I get one of those matrices that explains whether a 9.95 source is left- or right-leaning and its level of credibility? That'd be pretty helpful and I'd give at least $9.95 for it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is the good shit right here: 

I spoke to a person associated with the program on Thursday who is normally cautious about overpraising players, or diving into the world or hyperbole. The person I spoke to normally takes a wait-and-see approach.

Whole. New. Attitude.

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Can I get one of those matrices that explains whether a 9.95 source is left- or right-leaning and its level of credibility? That'd be pretty helpful and I'd give at least $9.95 for it. 

Well, a safe default is to assume that Aggy $9.95 is conservative and Horn $9.95 is more left-leaning. 

12 hours ago, Scholz said:

“Anwar, you can frame seven-on-seven however you want. It’s not really anything other than a drill. There’s nothing to be gleaned by performances in seven-on-seven. Zero. Not even one percent. Zero percent.”

EJ resents this remark.