Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

There was also the late interception against WVU that didn't cost them the game, but was just as horrible nonetheless. There is an undeniable pattern of bone headedness yet I tend to mostly give the guy a pass in consideration of his being a true freshman and playing behind an atrocious offensive line. He (hopefully) doesn't have the OL excuse anymore so let's see what we have. The kid definitely showed some moxy, he just couldn't get them over the hump. Or was the hump. Or humped your mom. 

There was also the late interception against WVU that didn't cost them the game, but was just as horrible nonetheless. There is an undeniable pattern of bone headedness yet I tend to mostly give the guy a pass in consideration of his being a true freshman and playing behind an atrocious offensive line. He (hopefully) doesn't have the OL excuse anymore so let's see what we have. The kid definitely showed some moxy, he just couldn't get them over the hump. Or was the hump. Or humped your mom. 

And the Texas Tech interception

I won’t hold USC in OT against him. That was just a great play by the USC defender.

13 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

it was 3.  OSU, Tech and SC.

OSU was his worst game. Tech was pretty bad but he did make some good plays and might even have caught a "Philly Special" TD if our WR had thrown the ball at the right moment. SC was almost an impossible game so early in his career, but he did give us the lead with less than a minute remaining, only to see it evaporate by poor special teams and defensive play. He then threw another TD in OT and was driving for a third, with his 9-yard run proceeding his fumble, and his fourth-quarter was pretty exceptional. 

If Herman had made him the starter when he arrived and he had received the majority of snaps through Spring and pre-season, he would have been much better, but of course, that was never going to happen. I hope Tom doesn't mess around and split QB reps evenly in pre-season. Regardless, I predict a breakout year for Sam. Hook 'em.   

• Like 2

Heard has some blame (not all) on the interception vs. okie st. If you watch the field view replay, he breaks off his route and just stands and stares at Sam. Hopefully scramble drills will be a thing this season but we won't need them as much. 

Inexcusable throw is inexcusable. There was not a single WR where he was throwing.

14 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

This entire post is worthless. Sam has a lot of games yet to be played in his career at Texas. He had a better TD-INT ratio than VY’s freshman year with Tim Beck calling plays. The operative word in the post you called out is potential. 

VY reminds me of a black Sam Ehlinger. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, LoyalHorn said:

Or maybe Herman shouldn’t be playing a freshmen who has suffered obvious head injuries 2 weeks in a row?

The narrative that Sam makes bad judgments when the game is on the line or doesn’t have sufficient ability to quickly process things based on how the OU and Ok St games ended last year is ridiculous. Sam should never have been put back in by Herman at the end of the OU game, and it was even more mind blowing when Herman kept him in during the Ok St game the following week after yet another head injury at the end of the game. Herman did a piss poor job of looking out for Sam’s health and best interests last season. 

Lulz. It's not based on those two games.  He had a terrible turnover in USC, Ok St, WVU, and Tech, so half the games he played this year. His OU performance was actually really good aside from getting his brain scrambled at the end.  I do agree that the Ok St. game probably shouldn't be held against him too much. He without a doubt got a concussion against OU the week before and should never have been playing against Ok. st.  You could tell he was off from the start in that game.

I'm willing to chalk a good bit of his issues last year up to terrible OL, bad offensive coaching, and generally being thrust into a dysfunctional offense as a freshman.  Regardless, anyone who's decoratively pronouncing how Sam will do next year is pretty silly.  He flashed a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff. If he matures and learns to play smarter, he could be a really good QB on the 40, or he could turn out to be a guy who never learns how to avoid getting absolutely demolished when he runs and continues to commit horrible turnovers.  Last year's sample wasn't enough to make much a conclusion either way.

3 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Regardless, anyone who's decoratively pronouncing how Sam will do next year is pretty silly.  

Of course, it is all speculative, but that's what makes the off-season fun. While it's a bit of a stretch, I am basing my opinion on Sam's tremendous second-year progression in his last two levels of football. I fully expect to see the same this season.   

(Chip Brown) The Eyes: Football overload, newcomers impact

I had several conversations in the last few days about the team’s summer conditioning — and more importantly — the team’s state of mind at this point in summer conditioning. The thing I heard most was the difference in togetherness from last year to this year. “Last year, guys didn’t know what to expect,” said one source close to the situation. “The coaches didn’t know what the players were capable of on the field. Guys were in the wrong roles, because they hadn’t played yet. There was uncertainty and doubt. Now, guys are just competing.”

It helps that just about every player on the team respects and responds to Texas strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight. While there were definitely times last year in which coach Tom Herman or an assistant or two made things a little too personal in terms of challenging players, the sense is McKnight is definitely tough but fair. “The players love McKnight,” one source said. “He knows how to challenge them and get the right response.”

Three players last year who were in the crosshairs of the coaching staff as personalities perceived to be bucking broncos who needed to be broken down a little bit were tight end Andrew Beck, center Zach Shackelford and then-backup middle linebacker Breckyn Hager. “Those three are all now guys who the coaching staff is counting on to be leaders for the team,” said one source close to the situation. According to sources, there were times last year other members of the team probably thought each of those three were on the verge of throwing hands with Herman or an assistant.

Beck basically admitted as much after spring football. At one point, according to three team sources, Herman berated Beck so badly over a lack of attention to detail, Beck took a step toward Herman as if he was ready to throw down. “At the end of the day, he wants to know who he can trust to put on the field,” Beck told me after the spring game. “He’s the head coach, and I was wrong. “I was an older guy last year. I was a senior. And he knows you can’t let guys get away with anything, even the smallest stuff. And he didn’t let me get away with something that I thought was small. He let me know it was a very big deal. And it kind of let the whole team know. At the end of the day, I’m very glad it happened, because it really did help establish that culture. It helped me to grow as a leader.”

Hager and Shackelford were also called out by coaches in front of teammates in a way that might’ve been perceived as crossing the line for making things too personal. And Herman made it clear to the players and to anyone who would listen, he didn’t care if the players “liked” him or not. He was in the process of seeing who would bow up and respond for their teammates — not necessarily for him.

This summer, it’s a totally different vibe. There is respect and trust between players like Beck, Shackelford and Hager with Herman and the staff. The culture has been burned into the program. And here’s the most important thing: The players, including Beck, Shackelford and Hager, are among the leaders now instilling the culture of the program with teammates and the freshmen and newcomers who just arrived on campus.

If you talk to players who were coached at Texas by John Mackovic, they’ll tell you they never connected with Mackovic personally. That Mackovic was aloof and talked down to the players and even to his own assistant coaches. Many will tell you they couldn’t stand the guy. But Mackovic was organized and detailed and was a brilliant offensive mind. So the players respected the game plans he put together, and Mackovic and his staff did a good job recruiting that there was plenty of talent on the roster to carry out those game plans. So the players bonded together and played for each other, winning at least a share of conference championships in 1994, 1995 and 1996. “We couldn’t stand the guy,” one former player of Mackovic said. “But that didn’t keep us from coming together as a team and saying, ‘Hey, screw him, let’s do this for each other as players.’ And that’s what we did. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter how the coach gets a group of players to play for each other as long as that is what happens. Because, let me tell you, the winning happens when you care more about the guy next to you than you do about your own interests.”

Herman has changed his tune, too. He’s not calling out players or position groups the way he did last year, because he feels confident the tough culture he wants for the program has been ingrained and is now being carried out by the players and leaders on the team, including Beck, Shackelford and Hager. (Chip Brown)

Showing Early Promise

There are players who come into a summer conditioning program for the first time and test off the charts or throw up a bunch of weight and then hit the field and fall to the back of the pack. And then there are guys who come in and test off the charts, throw up a bunch of weight and seem to have the work ethic and attitude of a more experienced player. We saw the later in the spring with early enrollee freshmen: safety Caden Sterns, safety B.J. Foster, cornerback Anthony Cook, linebacker Ayodele Adeoye and quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson.

Early returns would indicate freshman offensive lineman Junior Angilau might be a strong candidate to join that list. With Tom Herman and his staff, the measure of a player and his playing time are always going to be through physical play and toughness. We won’t see that from the incoming freshmen and newcomers such as Rice grad transfer OT Calvin Anderson or Cal grad transfer RB Tre Watson until the pads go on August. But from what we’re hearing, Angilau has come in with a work ethic and tough-minded attitude that would indicate he could be an impact freshman. According to one source, Angilau has already publicly won the respect of strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight, who doesn’t parse out praise to newcomers very often. (Chip Brown)

Coaches Hoping for Impact from Adeoye

One of the early enrollee freshmen who continues to impress is linebacker Ayodele Adeoye. Adeoye won the respect of his teammates and coaches in the spring by always going full speed and playing physical — even if he didn’t always have his assignment or technique exactly right. Tom Herman also seemed to be sending a message by having Adeoye go up against Anthony Wheeler in bull-in-the-ring before the spring game in which Adeoye dominated Wheeler. Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando fully plans to have Adeoye ready for the opener against Maryland and ready to have an impact throughout the season, either as a starter or in a rotation. What coaches love about Adeoye is his ability to play fast and physical on the inside with bodies all around him. Having that presence as such a young player shows a ton of upside. (Chip Brown)

Gary Johnson on the Mend

I’m told Texas star weak side linebacker Gary Johnson (hip/adductor longus) continues to rehab from his injury and is probably on pace to be fully cleared some time in July. (Chip Brown)

• Like 1

I remember getting my helmet in high school.  It was pretty much like that, except it was the equipment guy asking what position, getting your facemask, then getting a helmet that was "good/close enough"
Yeah, I remember getting to choose my shoulder pads out of a pile of about 3 different brands and styles. Naturally I chose the smallest, lightest I could find, two games later I have a cracked sternum because the chest plate was too short. Good times..

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Chip Brown) The Eyes: Football overload, newcomers impact

Reveal hidden contents

I had several conversations in the last few days about the team’s summer conditioning — and more importantly — the team’s state of mind at this point in summer conditioning. The thing I heard most was the difference in togetherness from last year to this year. “Last year, guys didn’t know what to expect,” said one source close to the situation. “The coaches didn’t know what the players were capable of on the field. Guys were in the wrong roles, because they hadn’t played yet. There was uncertainty and doubt. Now, guys are just competing.”

It helps that just about every player on the team respects and responds to Texas strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight. While there were definitely times last year in which coach Tom Herman or an assistant or two made things a little too personal in terms of challenging players, the sense is McKnight is definitely tough but fair. “The players love McKnight,” one source said. “He knows how to challenge them and get the right response.”

Three players last year who were in the crosshairs of the coaching staff as personalities perceived to be bucking broncos who needed to be broken down a little bit were tight end Andrew Beck, center Zach Shackelford and then-backup middle linebacker Breckyn Hager. “Those three are all now guys who the coaching staff is counting on to be leaders for the team,” said one source close to the situation. According to sources, there were times last year other members of the team probably thought each of those three were on the verge of throwing hands with Herman or an assistant.

Beck basically admitted as much after spring football. At one point, according to three team sources, Herman berated Beck so badly over a lack of attention to detail, Beck took a step toward Herman as if he was ready to throw down. “At the end of the day, he wants to know who he can trust to put on the field,” Beck told me after the spring game. “He’s the head coach, and I was wrong. “I was an older guy last year. I was a senior. And he knows you can’t let guys get away with anything, even the smallest stuff. And he didn’t let me get away with something that I thought was small. He let me know it was a very big deal. And it kind of let the whole team know. At the end of the day, I’m very glad it happened, because it really did help establish that culture. It helped me to grow as a leader.”

Hager and Shackelford were also called out by coaches in front of teammates in a way that might’ve been perceived as crossing the line for making things too personal. And Herman made it clear to the players and to anyone who would listen, he didn’t care if the players “liked” him or not. He was in the process of seeing who would bow up and respond for their teammates — not necessarily for him.

This summer, it’s a totally different vibe. There is respect and trust between players like Beck, Shackelford and Hager with Herman and the staff. The culture has been burned into the program. And here’s the most important thing: The players, including Beck, Shackelford and Hager, are among the leaders now instilling the culture of the program with teammates and the freshmen and newcomers who just arrived on campus.

If you talk to players who were coached at Texas by John Mackovic, they’ll tell you they never connected with Mackovic personally. That Mackovic was aloof and talked down to the players and even to his own assistant coaches. Many will tell you they couldn’t stand the guy. But Mackovic was organized and detailed and was a brilliant offensive mind. So the players respected the game plans he put together, and Mackovic and his staff did a good job recruiting that there was plenty of talent on the roster to carry out those game plans. So the players bonded together and played for each other, winning at least a share of conference championships in 1994, 1995 and 1996. “We couldn’t stand the guy,” one former player of Mackovic said. “But that didn’t keep us from coming together as a team and saying, ‘Hey, screw him, let’s do this for each other as players.’ And that’s what we did. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter how the coach gets a group of players to play for each other as long as that is what happens. Because, let me tell you, the winning happens when you care more about the guy next to you than you do about your own interests.”

Herman has changed his tune, too. He’s not calling out players or position groups the way he did last year, because he feels confident the tough culture he wants for the program has been ingrained and is now being carried out by the players and leaders on the team, including Beck, Shackelford and Hager. (Chip Brown)

Showing Early Promise

There are players who come into a summer conditioning program for the first time and test off the charts or throw up a bunch of weight and then hit the field and fall to the back of the pack. And then there are guys who come in and test off the charts, throw up a bunch of weight and seem to have the work ethic and attitude of a more experienced player. We saw the later in the spring with early enrollee freshmen: safety Caden Sterns, safety B.J. Foster, cornerback Anthony Cook, linebacker Ayodele Adeoye and quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson.

Early returns would indicate freshman offensive lineman Junior Angilau might be a strong candidate to join that list. With Tom Herman and his staff, the measure of a player and his playing time are always going to be through physical play and toughness. We won’t see that from the incoming freshmen and newcomers such as Rice grad transfer OT Calvin Anderson or Cal grad transfer RB Tre Watson until the pads go on August. But from what we’re hearing, Angilau has come in with a work ethic and tough-minded attitude that would indicate he could be an impact freshman. According to one source, Angilau has already publicly won the respect of strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight, who doesn’t parse out praise to newcomers very often. (Chip Brown)

Coaches Hoping for Impact from Adeoye

One of the early enrollee freshmen who continues to impress is linebacker Ayodele Adeoye. Adeoye won the respect of his teammates and coaches in the spring by always going full speed and playing physical — even if he didn’t always have his assignment or technique exactly right. Tom Herman also seemed to be sending a message by having Adeoye go up against Anthony Wheeler in bull-in-the-ring before the spring game in which Adeoye dominated Wheeler. Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando fully plans to have Adeoye ready for the opener against Maryland and ready to have an impact throughout the season, either as a starter or in a rotation. What coaches love about Adeoye is his ability to play fast and physical on the inside with bodies all around him. Having that presence as such a young player shows a ton of upside. (Chip Brown)

Gary Johnson on the Mend

I’m told Texas star weak side linebacker Gary Johnson (hip/adductor longus) continues to rehab from his injury and is probably on pace to be fully cleared some time in July. (Chip Brown)

Chip Brown is a bitch, Herman needs to handle his ass in the low. And never forget Fuck That Puto! 

SIAP, Connelly previewed Oklahoma State today: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/14/17437602/oklahoma-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Because I point out when the S&P+ projections or my own opinions are wrong, I reserve the right to point out when they’re bang-on. 2017’s preseason S&P+ projections had the Pokes at third in Off. S&P+ and 69th in Def. S&P+; they finished third and 70th, respectively. Nailed it.

If S&P+ is going to be right again in 2018, however, a new QB must catch fire. OSU is projected sixth on offense and 71st on defense. That’s good for 19th overall with a win projection a little better than 8-4.

I would be surprised if S&P+ is right this time on both sides of the ball. I think the offense will fall more than that, and some new blood on the coaching staff could lead to some upgrades on defense.

OSU’s got a great and terrible schedule. On one hand, the Cowboys are, per S&P+, double-digit favorites in four of their first five games and favorites in 10 of 12 overall. Build confidence early, and you could be in conference contention well into November.

On the other hand, the Cowboys have to play at both TCU and Oklahoma. That’s probably going to keep them from the conference title game.

Still, I think people have written OSU off a bit too much this offseason. In terms of playing at a top-25 level, Gundy’s team is one of the most proven in the country.

Just now, Machinator said:

Hah, it definitely didn't get pushed like normal. He was probably just as bug-eyed as everyone else about their AD ripping him in public for his "poor" recruiting.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, comparing Herman to Mackovic probably isn't the way to go if you're looking to get people excited.

Mackovic won more conference championships (solo or shared) than any UT coach since DKR.

That includes Mack Brown.

Hopefully Herman passes Mackovic some day.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

He also sucked

Not arguing that, I'm just pointing out that besides getting crushed 66-3 in a home game to kick off the season, he managed to win 3 Conference Championships including...

The last SWC Championship EVER, and...

The first Big 12 Conference Championship EVER.

Oh, and he recruited Ricky.

So he sucked in a historically successful way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Noah Fence said:

Fuck Chip

This person gets it. Do not share his worthless information. Do not give him more attention on the interwebs. Do not listen to him on the radio. If you see him in a restaurant, say something mean to him. If you see him talking to small children on a playground, call the police. 

• Like 1

There is so much to hate about the off-season... lack of news, former  coaches, stupid NC2A rule changes, assholery by dumbfucks like Chip and Kurt... 

The good part is that it's like having a bleeding wound on your leg, where the neighbor's fucking Jack Russell bit you...  you can't quit picking at it to see if you can get it to start scabbing properly, and eventually August arrives and the pain subsides to a dull ache with a nice scab over it, and then September rolls in and you have a nice pink patch of fresh new skin... 

And then you get bit right in the same place by a fucking terrapin...

So, yeah, fuck Chip and Kurt and most of the 9.95ers, fuck Mack and Mackovic and Strong.

Fuck the whole off-season.

Oh, and 0U sucks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

There is so much to hate about the off-season... lack of news, former  coaches, stupid NC2A rule changes, assholery by dumbfucks like Chip and Kurt... 

The good part is that it's like having a bleeding wound on your leg, where the neighbor's fucking Jack Russell bit you...  you can't quit picking at it to see if you can get it to start scabbing properly, and eventually August arrives and the pain subsides to a dull ache with a nice scab over it, and then September rolls in and you have a nice pink patch of fresh new skin... 

So, yeah, fuck Chip and Kurt and most of the 9.95ers, fuck Mack and Mackovic and Strong.

Oh, and 0U sucks.

Fuck Terrapins too.

3 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

It was all time bleak in Charlie’s last year. I had no hope at all.

I was okay with the Strong hire.  A little worried because when I looked at the schedule, Strong had lost to or had way too close games, against some truly awful teams.  But I assumed he would upgrade his staff, and to a good job recruiting and evaluating based on the talent he amassed at UL.

Then he hired Watson and the rest of those clowns.  And I mentally moved on.  I was rooting for Kansas to beat us in 2016 because I was so nervous we would keep him.

22 hours ago, NaTeWHO said:

Didn't see either of these posted.

21 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I remember getting my helmet in high school.  It was pretty much like that, except it was the equipment guy asking what position, getting your facemask, then getting a helmet that was "good/close enough"

Shit. I remember always having a big head and getting a helmet that somebody thought would fit, with an air bladder filled to the point of being damn near incompressible so it felt like a helmet full of rocks...  then i'd let all the air out and go spear the shit out of everyone and get stingers and "ring my own bell" and see stars and white flashes and shit...  badge of honor.

Now I can't remember simple words like "dilute" without having some type of saying... (I came up with "give a hoot, don't dilute" and have to think of it every time I want to recall "dilute".

I wish I had a smart helmet (or a smaller head and better tackle coaching)

Want a unique flavor of Kool Aid? Try preferred walk-on hype, courtesy of IT:

PWO MAKING A SPLASH

With the effort Tom Herman and his staff put towards the preferred walk-on (PWO) program it's only a matter of time before they pick a winning lottery ticket.

Landing linebacker Luke Brockermeyer was an absolute coup. He didn't just turn down D1 offers, he turned down a P5 offer in Oregon State. With his father having starred at the school, those were unique circumstances.

Landing running back, Jarrett Smith, was also a coup. The dynamic, yet undersized running back held offers from the service academies. His lack of height made for unique circumstances. Texas is good at identifying those circumstances.

Question: What freshman is impressing the most?
Answer: Travis West.

Come again?

West is a PWO from Dallas Wilson. After an impressive junior year (53 receptions, 905 yards) he only played in three games as a senior.

In 7 on 7 action he is faring well against established players. I don't want to make him sound elite, but he's turning heads and from the sound of it he'll be a scholarship player at some point.

Last week we mentioned the freshmen were struggling to climatize to the program. They didn't get kicked out of any workouts, so baby steps. They are struggling with the rigidity of workouts, and just doing everything the right way. Hydration is a part of that, as is cleanliness. They'll get it right.

With the depth chart mostly settled it's been a boring off-season. That's a good thing, unless you're trying to write about the team. This is what it's like to have talented upper-classmen.

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Oh, and 0U sucks.

Reads like poetry.