Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

Vince Young wasn’t great as a freshman either- he got shut out against OU, would pull the ball down and run early. He really started to shine in his sophomore season and became the unquestioned leader of his team. I’m getting more of this vibe from Sam rather than a Garrett Gilbert vibe from him.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You’re either football strong or you’re not. You’re football fast or you’re not. You’re football smart or you’re not. 

How fast you run in shorts, how much you squat in the gym or what school you gained entrance to may or may not have some correlation to your ability as a football player. 

Right: football players don't get stronger or faster or smarter with experience after their freshmen seasons.  Sam is going to have a big year. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Vince Young wasn’t great as a freshman either- he got shut out against OU, would pull the ball down and run early. He really started to shine in his sophomore season and became the unquestioned leader of his team. I’m getting more of this vibe from Sam rather than a Garrett Gilbert vibe from him.

VY was pretty damn good as a freshman.  His running ability and his threat of running probably added about 2 yards per carry to Cedric Benson (he went from about 4 per carry playing with Mock to north of 6 per carry when VY was in the game).

And VY averaged the second highest point per drive in the Mack Brown era up to that point (highest before I think was Ricky's senior year).

The OU shutout was his sophomore year.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

VY was pretty damn good as a freshman.  His running ability and his threat of running probably added about 2 yards per carry to Cedric Benson (he went from about 4 per carry playing with Mock to north of 6 per carry when VY was in the game).

And VY averaged the second highest point per drive in the Mack Brown era up to that point (highest before I think was Ricky's senior year).

Ok- he also had Cedric Benson and a much better line.

I’m not saying Sam is going to be as good as VY, just saying I think as a player, he’s closer to being a bad ass than a bust.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Not sorry to derail thread but the memory of Vince's knee twisting from the k state game where I thought for sure it was toast is further proof that he was special. 

I believe in Sam to a fault and think he was just given a bad hand to deal with last year but he needs better luck not getting injured and hopefully has matured where he can make the right decisions in those critical times. 

23 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. Sam has always seemed like a really smart guy and this appears to confirm it. It's what makes me hopeful that if the staff sits down with him and clearly explains that it's better for the team for him to take less hits than it is for him to fight for that extra yard each time (regardless of Herman saying in pressers that he likes the way Sam plays), that he'll be able to change how he plays. Having said that, book intelligence and mental control in the heat of battle are two different things. RGIII could never learn to take less hits, but other guys have been able to.  If Sam doesn't change his play style this year, then we'll have to move our hope of finding a great QB from him to Rising and/or Thompson because Sam can't stay on the field playing this way.  

If I'm Beck, I'm showing Sam clips of Russell Wilson over and over this offseason.

I'll also add that If Herman and Co. are actually encouraging Sam to keep playing how he did last year, like Herman implied in some of his press statements, then that would go a long way in making me think that Herman just isn't the right guy for the job. What happened at tOSU the year they won the title is not a repeatable model. 

You have seen Tom Herman QBs play. Avoiding inevitable contact is not a priority. Avoid contact by running faster, yes. By reducing yardage, no.

Think about Power (QB Power or RB Power). The ball carrier is the ball carrier. Get yards.

23 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Maybe Sam is more of a analyst/planner type. He doesn't instantaneously identify the best course of action and execute it, but rather he is methodical and deliberate. Given time, he weighs the various pluses and minuses and makes the right decision.

Most business decisions are not analyzed and acted up in under 5 seconds.

The Business School admission after only 3 semesters + a summer on campus while devoting full time attention to football (including weights & conditioning) is very impressive. Hopefully the game will continue to slow down for him and his analysis/response time speeds up.

Go Sam!

Or maybe he was a freshman behind a below average OL.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

11 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I’m not saying Sam is going to be as good as VY, just saying I think as a player, he’s closer to being a bad ass than a bust.

VY redshirted and played with NFL players at every position (WR, TE, RB, OL)

Sam has not (yet).

Let's see.  No, I do not expect Sam to be VY. I also don't expect Sam to be Tyrone Swoopes (who also did not play with NFL caliber players for the most part.)

Yay, summer.

56 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think we ultimately learned Favre knew the risks he was taking and just took them anyway. He became much more mature and learned to just not take those risks. It was not an issue of him having a low football IQ rather a low football maturity. 

Brett Favre adjusted his game by becoming addicted to pain killers, which to be fair, is a pretty good way of dealing with getting hit. 

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

That's a fair point. But tell me how proficient your split second decision making ability would be, as a true freshman, with a 300 lb man chasing you around trying to rip your head off.  

You ask this as a hypothetical but I can promise you I have lived the answer. To that point, what I know is that I would not have buttfucked the Oklahoma State game the way that dumbass did. 

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Hey, man, you don’t just get to throw Vince Young’s name around cheaply and erroneously. Who are you, Jeff Fisher? The Sam Ehlinger/Vince Young comparison is fucking absurd and needs to die in a fire. Fuck you for going there. 

32 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Just waiting for CTJ to start a thread on how much shit he’ll suck through a straw this year.

Sadly, I don’t know if this is a reference to the insane Garret Gilbert thread where I predicted his suckage and reasons why (this was before he played for UT and Longhorn94 and the rest of the board came completely unhinged) or the Bama ball gargling thread from last year. You’re either the hero or the goat when you do that shit, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You ask this as a hypothetical but I can promise you I have lived the answer. To that point, what I know is that I would not have buttfucked the Oklahoma State game the way that dumbass did. 

Hey, man, you don’t just get to throw Vince Young’s name around cheaply and erroneously. Who are you, Jeff Fisher? The Sam Ehlinger/Vince Young comparison is fucking absurd and needs to die in a fire. Fuck you for going there. 

Calm down, no one made a direct comparison. Only highlighting VY making a jump between his soph and junior years. Sam can make a similar jump (with OL/TE/RB help) without ever being near as stupidly talented as Vince.  Stop operating in dichotomies with Ehlinger. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Calm down, no one made a direct comparison. Only highlighting VY making a jump between his soph and junior years. Sam can make a similar jump (with OL/TE/RB help) without ever being near as stupidly talented as Vince.  Stop operating in dichotomies with Ehlinger. 

I’m not sure what “operating in dichotomies” is, but I am fairly certain I will keep doing it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe, maybe not. He lost us that game pure and simple, but so did Michael Dickson a few years prior. He seemed to turn out OK. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's a huge difference between criticizing our players and outright insulting one of our key players. Find it. 

• Like 1

Or maybe he was a freshman behind a below average OL.

So long as Texas can’t field two viable offensive tackles consistently, Texas QB’s will struggle. After awhile they all get happy feet when ends get a dozen hurries, hits or sacks per game.

We haven’t been able to pass block an above-average front honestly in 10 years. And its been since 2006 since we’ve had what would be considered a good offensive line.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You talk in absolutes with no gray area anywhere. I'm not sure if I should admire you or hate your fucking guts. I'm sure it's a little of column A and a little of column B. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BERT said:

You talk in absolutes with no gray area anywhere. I'm not sure if I should admire you or hate your fucking guts. I'm sure it's a little of column A and a little of column B. 

If I started posting my takes over a wallpaper of creeper photos of unwitting moms and college girls, would you hate my fucking guts less?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I started posting my takes over a wallpaper of creeper photos of unwitting moms and college girls, would you hate my fucking guts less?

Like you care what other people think? Just post the photos and then we will decide.

6 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Right: football players don't get stronger or faster or smarter with experience after their freshmen seasons.  Sam is going to have a big year. 

Sigh. What does this have to do with what I said?  Guys who are football fast can get football faster. Stronger. Smarter. Etc. 

There’s not necessarily a correlation between your speed, strength or smarts off the field and what you do between the whistles when the lights are on. 

I can’t tell if Sam is football smart or not, and quite frankly he had a certified offensive retard trying to direct him from the booth. But I can tell you that entrance into the McCombs School or Business is a much better indicator of Sam’s success on M-F than a guaranteer of success on Saturday.   

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

No kidding. Analogies: how do they work?

8 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

This entire post is worthless.  You can't say the two names together.  It's an insult to Vince.  Secondly, where does his potential badass come from?  The four or five fucking games he personally lost us last year?

1 hour ago, jettrink said:

This entire post is worthless.  You can't say the two names together.  It's an insult to Vince.  Secondly, where does his potential badass come from?  The four or five fucking games he personally lost us last year?

This entire post is worthless. Sam has a lot of games yet to be played in his career at Texas. He had a better TD-INT ratio than VY’s freshman year with Tim Beck calling plays. The operative word in the post you called out is potential. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle
  • Like 1

Please list the "four or five games he personally lost for us last year."  

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Not sorry to derail thread but the memory of Vince's knee twisting from the k state game where I thought for sure it was toast is further proof that he was special. 

I believe in Sam to a fault and think he was just given a bad hand to deal with last year but he needs better luck not getting injured and hopefully has matured where he can make the right decisions in those critical times. 

I think the play you are referring to happened down near the goal line and it was his ankle, not his knee, that looked to be broken on the play.  Incidentally, i believe that to be the game Chance Mock had to bail VY (who i love dont get me wrong, no homo) out.

it was 3.  OSU, Tech and SC.

9 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Don’t do this. 

1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

This entire post is worthless. Sam has a lot of games yet to be played in his career at Texas. He had a better TD-INT ratio than VY’s freshman year with Tim Beck calling plays. The operative word in the post you called out is potential. 

There's over-focusing on stats and missing the big picture... and then there's this

11 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

It was his ankle (replay at 1:35) and it is still freaky to watch.

VY had his struggles as a RS freshman (see Tech game) but clips like the one above remind how superhuman he truly was.

3 minutes ago, Texas007 said:

It was his ankle (replay at 1:35) and it is still freaky to watch.

VY had his struggles as a RS freshman (see Tech game) but clips like the one above remind how superhuman he truly was.

Thanks. At least I got k state right. Think I nicknamed him Gumby right after that. Still can't believe how bad that looked. 

10 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

The play in overtime vs Oklahoma State should and better not ever happen again in Sams time here.

Or maybe Herman shouldn’t be playing a freshmen who has suffered obvious head injuries 2 weeks in a row?

The narrative that Sam makes bad judgments when the game is on the line or doesn’t have sufficient ability to quickly process things based on how the OU and Ok St games ended last year is ridiculous. Sam should never have been put back in by Herman at the end of the OU game, and it was even more mind blowing when Herman kept him in during the Ok St game the following week after yet another head injury at the end of the game. Herman did a piss poor job of looking out for Sam’s health and best interests last season. 

• Like 2