Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Exactly.  Warren was highly rated so that's definitely a hindsight.  Houston and Porter type guys are a dime a dozen every year in Texas.  Plenty of programs would be disappointed with that haul.  Texas should be one of them.

Anyone who ever saw Warren play in HS should have had doubts about his play. He was always hesitant to hit the hole. He always jogged in the backfield.

I think the hope was that he would learn to trust/use his size to his advantage. He never did. 

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

BJones looks yoked for a safety

Let us hope the game has slowed down for him and his talent can be on display this year. No more costing us wins like ou last year. Same goes for Sam.

Edited by Goodman

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Let us hope the game has slowed down for him and his talent can be on display this year. No more costing us wins like ou last year.

That was just as much on Boyd, probably more so, than Jones.

I agree this is a big season for him but there were times last season people were over critical of him. It was his first season starting as a true sophomore--some bad shit is bound to happen. He made some plays (the Will Grier's finger banger being broken off comes to mind) and some absolute wtf? moments as well but he was the best option available and the PT he got should pay off. 

Let us hope the game has slowed down for him and his talent can be on display this year. No more costing us wins like ou last year. Same goes for Sam.

I think it will, he was playing much better towards the end of the season, and quietly had a pretty solid Texas Bowl as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ousux said:

I think it will, he was playing much better towards the end of the season, and quietly had a pretty solid Texas Bowl as well.

He just heeds to learn how to catch.

Edited by Vertigo

On 6/1/2018 at 12:04 PM, Bruh Man said:

I usually don't go the old man route when it comes to social media, but this kid loves to tout how much work he's about to put in...

On 6/1/2018 at 12:38 PM, Vertigo said:

Cecil Cherry did the same thing, and then he got popped into reality in his first week of practice and transferred. Fortunately, Calvin's got nowhere else to go. 

Lulz. This is an unbelievably dumb comparison 

calvin went to Rice as a lowly 3 Star, worked his ass off, and developed into a draftable LT. Cecil went to one day of practice and went home crying.

Bruh Man, I realize your schtick these days is getting your panties in a wad over nothing, in this case that Calvin likes to tweet about working hard, but if you take even a second to think, you’d realize how much work he’s put in the last 4 years, including in the classroom, and not care that he tweets a lot.

• Like 3

Bill Connolly has reached KU: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/4/17370158/kansas-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Takeaway:

In last year’s preview, I wrote, “the Jayhawks have some pieces now. We get to find out if Beaty can coach.” I thought KU was ready for a bit of a step forward, and I was woefully incorrect. Then I was shocked that Beaty got a fourth year in charge.

Again I find myself applying some positive spin, if only because of competition. KU has three QBs to choose from, a legitimate star (if healthy) at running back, a bunch of potential possession receivers, experienced lines, one of the best linebackers in the country, and about 26 defensive backs, from which Bowen needs to choose five. There’s a chance that Beaty and company find a recipe.

With games against Nicholls State, Central Michigan, and Rutgers, the schedule provides a slight chance of a 3-0 start. (S&P+ says there’s only a 19 percent chance of that, and there’s a 5 percent chance of 0-3, but go with me here.) Any Big 12 win will require a significant upset — per S&P+’s 130-team rankings, the Jayhawks project at least 42 spots below everyone else in the league — but if they go 1-8 or 2-7, that could mean four or five wins overall and give Beaty a “See? We’re clearly on the way up!” card.

It probably says something that my attempts at positive spin took Kansas only to 4-8, though.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

So if Estell is the only one not participating does that mean Grandy is back working out?

I wouldn't put much stock in them saying that.  He probably overlooked some people. He later mentioned he forgot to ask about Cade Brewer, but there's now way Brewer is healthy or participating normally.

Baylor's turn: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/5/17410532/baylor-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

S&P+ might be overestimating Baylor’s odds of a rebound, but it’s not hard to see how one might come to fruition. Brewer gets a whole year behind center with a wonderfully experienced receiving corps, the run game improves because of good health and experience, and a better-tested defense makes more big plays of its own while suffering fewer breakdowns.

The Bears were dreadfully inconsistent but showed enough moments — an eight-point loss to Oklahoma, a two-point loss to WVU, a sufficiently impressive win over Kansas — to hint at a high ceiling. And now last year’s youth movement is this year’s veteran influx.

A fast start is key. Within the first half of the season, Baylor will play its five most winnable games — home games against Abilene Christian, Duke, Kansas, and Kansas State and a road game against UTSA — before the Big 12’s depth begins to take over. A 4-2 or 5-1 start could lead to bowl eligibility, but anything less would make it tricky.

K-State: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/6/17416974/kansas-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

The negative spin: KSU has two new coordinators, an unsettled QB situation, and a defense that didn’t have enough play-makers last year and now must replace the ones it had. Because of last year’s early struggles, lost production, and forever-middling recruiting rankings, the Wildcats are only projected 61st in S&P+.

And while your response might be to point out that S&P+ projections are never going to favor a team that so regularly overachieves its recruiting rankings, here’s where I note the Wildcats were projected 35th last year and did not reach that mark.

Either way, they have a brutal schedule. Nine of 12 opponents are projected 50th or better, and thanks to Mississippi State, four are in the top 25. KSU will need to exceed its projections by quite a bit to match recent records.

The positive spin: Part of the reason they missed that mark was because of injuries. Teams underachieve when they lose their starting QB and can’t keep any defensive linemen or defensive backs on the field. And they did indeed improve late.

The most positive spin: KSU still has Snyder. He finds a way.