Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

On 5/18/2018 at 3:28 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Just starting the season opener without Garret Gray as the starting TE is a huge upgrade.

But, we have virtually the same staff that somehow thought putting Gray on the field was a good idea....

34 minutes ago, pacman said:

But, we have virtually the same staff that somehow thought putting Gray on the field was a good idea....

Which is why I wondered if they were going to be that stubborn about going 11 personnel, why not just throw another lineman in for protection. That's essentially what Kendall Moore was with his one catch at WVU.

Don't see it happening again this year (wrong players in situation, rotation, etc.) They'll probably still be stubborn about running 11 but will have the depth to do it. 

28 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Which is why I wondered if they were going to be that stubborn about going 11 personnel, why not just throw another lineman in for protection. That's essentially what Kendall Moore was with his one catch at WVU.

Don't see it happening again this year (wrong players in situation, rotation, etc.) They'll probably still be stubborn about running 11 but will have the depth to do it. 

I was very surprised and disappointed that the staff didn't adapt their scheme to the roster last year. I remember almost being in shock watching Garrett Gray trot onto the field drive after drive against Maryland only to watch him single-handedly kill half our drives.  On the bright side, it looks like we now have the personnel to fit the staff's desired scheme so that issue will hopefully go away.

Although I consider the horrible rotations at WR and RB to be a whole different issue, and I'm not really sure why we should expect those to get fixed, other than blind hope that comes with the offseason.

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Although I consider the horrible rotations at WR and RB to be a whole different issue, and I'm not really sure why we should expect those to get fixed, other than blind hope that comes with the offseason.

I think Young being a sophomore and the addition of Tre Watson will fix the RB rotation issues. As for WRs, let's hope Meekins takes a more active (and competent) role there.

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

290 total pass blocking snaps? That seems low and a very weird stat to highlight.

1. It does seem a little low.

2. They're not highlighting how many times he dropped into pass pro. They're highlighting that he only gave up pressure 7 times out of 290 pass pro plays. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I think Young being a sophomore and the addition of Tre Watson will fix the RB rotation issues. As for WRs, let's hope Meekins takes a more active (and competent) role there.

Eh. I'm not nearly as confident in that. I still expect to see an obnoxious amount of Kyle Porter.  

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I was very surprised and disappointed that the staff didn't adapt their scheme to the roster last year. I remember almost being in shock watching Garrett Gray trot onto the field drive after drive against Maryland only to watch him single-handedly kill half our drives.  On the bright side, it looks like we now have the personnel to fit the staff's desired scheme so that issue will hopefully go away.

I'm just thinking about the depth chart and roster at this point. Leonard graduated so he won't be in on red zone attempts instead of CJ. The staff seems determined to keep LJH in, which is a good thing. Idk how far along Duvernay really is but I won't lose sleep with Burt or Heard getting reps in his place. 

Maybe they're boneheaded again with the use of Porter but I don't think so. 

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Eh. I'm not nearly as confident in that. I still expect to see an obnoxious amount of Kyle Porter.  

I guess we'll just disagree here. I understand that there's no reason to be confident in our decision-making on offense, but I think the staff's favorite was Daniel Young from the start, but they didn't trust his ball security or pass protection as a true freshman. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I guess we'll just disagree here. I understand that there's no reason to be confident in our decision-making on offense, but I think the staff's favorite was Daniel Young from the start, but they didn't trust his ball security or pass protection as a true freshman. 

I get that, but the staff showed terrible feel for rotating RBs all year.  Warren did well in the first couple drives against Iowa State and then barely got any carries after that.  They would get a hot hand, but instead of feeding it, they'd just seemingly randomly rotate RBs. We have a better RB room this year, so that will help but I see no reason why the underlying problem won't still be there. Also, Beck's strict belief in never sticking with plays that are working doesn't help this issue.

• Like 1

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-college-football-top-25-2018

Athlon's rankings of where they expect teams to end up by January 2019 (Big 12 teams in bold):

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Georgia
  4. Ohio State
  5. Michigan
  6. Miami
  7. Auburn
  8. Washington
  9. Wisconsin
  10. Oklahoma
  11. Penn State
  12. Michigan State
  13. Florida State
  14. Mississippi State
  15. Notre Dame
  16. Virginia Tech
  17. Florida
  18. Stanford
  19. Boise State
  20. Texas
  21. USC
  22. West Virginia
  23. Oregon
  24. TCU
  25. Texas A&M

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

He coached at Tulsa, no?

Yes. But he also went to high school at North Mesquite and played football at ECU in Ada, Oklahoma. And then he coached at Poteet, Allen and some high school in Oklahoma before coaching in the college ranks.

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I get that Tater is teeny, but Haskins was awesome in high school. I think he can get them there.

Yeah. Haskins was an elite recruit who has got to spend two full years in the program training and learning. I don't see any reason why people shouldn't expect him to be good.  

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Yes. But he also went to high school at North Mesquite and played football at ECU in Ada, Oklahoma. And then he coached at Poteet, Allen and some high school in Oklahoma before coaching in the college ranks.

It would be great to add him to staff.  Follow the Saban model and attract the best possible people to be a part of the program.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

In agreement with other sites, TFB is saying that both Chris Nelson and the Duvernays will not transfer.

I'm from Missouri until the whistle blows at kickoff in the Maryland game, but I'll take the good news with that grain of salt.

Perhaps the "fuck it, Duvernay, go deep" playcalling method on 2 of every 3 downs is the gordian knot that the wizards Beck and Mehringer finally sliced through in the spring and Devin decided that worked for him. 

The word on the Duvernays is that they shopped around for interest during the winter break and there wasn't much for both of them, so they decided to give it a go with the program in the spring. 

The word with Nelson is that those close to him wanted him to come home and hang out with sweet Chuck for a semester. 

I know all that's been hinted at, but hopefully this is at least a little more detail for anyone who didn't follow closely. Bottom line is, Nelson made a good decision. The book's unfinished for the Duvernays. Donovan needs to graduate and benefit from a UT degree. Devin could leverage a big season into the NFL, if he's lucky. He's kind of small and not quick, but straight speed is excellent and there's been crazier shit that has happened. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-college-football-top-25-2018

Athlon's rankings of where they expect teams to end up by January 2019 (Big 12 teams in bold):

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Georgia
  4. Ohio State
  5. Michigan
  6. Miami
  7. Auburn
  8. Washington
  9. Wisconsin
  10. Oklahoma
  11. Penn State
  12. Michigan State
  13. Florida State
  14. Mississippi State
  15. Notre Dame
  16. Virginia Tech
  17. Florida
  18. Stanford
  19. Boise State
  20. Texas
  21. USC
  22. West Virginia
  23. Oregon
  24. TCU
  25. Texas A&M

So BlowU and UT in the Big 12 Championship Game, I'd be down for that.

21 hours ago, sdm said:

I love Johnnie Johnson and what he means to UT,  but damn if he didn't raise two egocentric sons.

25 minutes ago, ousux said:
21 hours ago, sdm said:
I love Johnnie Johnson and what he means to UT,  but damn if he didn't raise two egocentric sons.

Yeah, they are quite impressed with theirselves..

I'm trying to figure out why this is a problem. I mean, they're at Texas and are arrogant. Seems fitting to me! 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Large German population in the Córdoba province. One of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations in the world is annually held in Villa General Belgrano, that's about 45 minutes to an hour outside of the capital city. Che Guevara's childhood home is just outside the capital in a town called Alta Gracia. An annual stop on the World Rally Circuit is based nearby in the lakeside town of Villa Carlos Paz, which is mainly known as a summer vacation spot.

The capital also has the oldest university in the country, founded by the Jesuits and then later nationalized, after the Jesuits were expelled for a number of years for being kind to the indigenous population and slaves and educating them.

Great "salames riquisimos" in the area, especially along the touristy stops in the lake district of Embalse.

And lastly, La Cumbrecita, is a small town built along a steady stream with a waterfall (wasserfall) and under a canopy of trees that used to require a day or two horseback ride to find. Perfectly isolated, yet near descendants of German immigrants from ~1870-1930ish, for any Germany military officers and their families from WWII to come and live out their days in peace.

I also think that there is are a large number of rugby clubs in the area, especially at the private schools, which accounts for why sometimes the national team will host matches in Córdoba, so this is an affinity for collision sports in the region.

Lastly, Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football are broadcast nationally on ESPN, so the is definitely an American football awareness there.

Summer workout report Kool-aid incoming: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-23rd/

– Players report back to school on May 29th to begin “optional” workouts. They will be welcoming in the rest of the 2018 class as well as Tre Watson and Calvin Anderson. The staff is understandably very excited about Calvin Anderson.

– I didn’t really want to post this since we reported it awhile ago, but I was asked about it again. There are no more transfer rumors floating around about any player on the football team. If you’ve been following us through the Spring you’d know that Devin Duvernay and Chris Nelson are both staying at Texas. This includes Shane Buechele. – (Will)

Also here's an HQ version of the Argentina video: