Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

14 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

This is what shocked me, went to the beer garden and was told fuck off cause I wasn't a member of some USC club. Fuck USC and OU still sucks.

if you dimwits didn't learn to smuggle a flask in your boot then what good was your UT education?

• Like 4

While I don't really give a fuck about uniforms they way a lot of folks on here do, I saw this 247 live video and it cracked me up. I have no doubt this is causing aggy blood to boil. Not only are they not one of the teams that people can vote for, but UT is solidly in the lead for best uniforms. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Omenihu listed

Whoa! Omenihu in the Top 50?! That seems pretty high for him.

He’s a good player but I don’t see the explosiveness or disruption you would want from a Top 50 pick in his junior film. I do think he’ll show improvement this year though. 

Houston TD Club Interview with Tom Herman (OB - Anwar):

(From Anwar)

Texas football coach Tom Herman probably needs to go to the maps app on his cell phone to find his way home.

Obviously, I am joking about that, but Herman is a man who is constantly on the go. From the time training camp began last year, Herman has seemingly been working seven days a week since July 2017. Herman was working non-stop during training camp, the regular season, postseason, and has traveled to visit recruits, or host kids, throughout this offseason. As if that was not enough work, Herman was part of the ‘This is Texas Tour’ last week. To add a little bit more to Herman’s plate, he spoke at the Touchdown Club of Houston’s luncheon on Thursday.

Even though Herman is working hard, he has been very accessible to the media this offseason. In other words, Herman has been gracious to the stalkers who need offseason content and grab him for a few minutes before an event. Herman has been more accessible than the majority of coaches I have covered throughout my career. Hey, if media members can complain about the lack of access, it is only fair to compliment a coach and program when they are willing to be helpful.

As I drove to Houston early on Thursday morning, my main thought was ‘What the heck can I ask Herman before the event that was not asked last week when we spoke in Fort Worth?’ However, there were a few questions that began circulating in my head during that drive on Highway 71 to Houston (who will be the first to say I should take U.S. 290 to Houston?).

Herman held a press conference with a small group of reporters at the JW Marriott in Houston next to The Galleria on Thursday. I was one of two local reporters who made the journey to speak with Herman. He spoke for nearly 20 minutes before addressing the Touchdown Club of Houston. For those who missed it, I highlighted Herman’s answer to my question about the quarterbacks 
in a separate thread earlier on Thursday. Herman gave a very revealing answer when I asked what he hoped would occur with the quarterback situation this season.

Outside of that answer, Herman addressed a few other questions, and I am going to highlight what he said right now.

Q: With the announcement of Texas facing Alabama, how important is it to play a premier team?

A: I think it’s great. I credit their administration, Chris Del Conte and our administration for making that happen, and kind of juggling some schedules around. The unfortunate thing with the new Big 12, if you will, from 2012, the University of Texas doesn’t play a rival at home. We have now, unfortunately, one rival that we play every year, and that’s at a neutral site. Most other teams in our league get to play a rival at home. Iowa State and Iowa play every other year (at their home stadiums). Oklahoma and Oklahoma State is home-and-home. Our historic rivals, I should say. Everybody in the Big 12 we consider somewhat of a rival. Anytime we have an opportunity to give our fan base a big name, a quality opponent, a historic brand, I think it’s good for our program, and good for our fans.

Q: How will you use your connections to make Houston into a Texas City?

A: It’s really unbelievable to think about it. I grew up with these coaches. I use the example all the time where Cy Falls High School, for instance, when I was at Sam Houston, I think I signed four kids from Cy Falls High School. That was back when Wayne Hooks was the head coach, and David Raffield was the offensive coordinator, and Todd Thompson was the offensive line coach, and Kirk Eaton was a JV coach at the time. All of those guys have gone on, and coach [Chris] Brister was the head coach there, and I knew him growing up. That’s just one example of so many in the greater Houston area that I’ve gotten to know over the years. I consider them friends, as well as colleagues, and they have been unbelievably supportive of not just myself and my career, but really our program and the direction we’re headed. It is really, really comforting to know we’ve got them on our side.

Q: Considering players can now take official visits in the spring, how hard has this offseason been on you?

A: Michelle and I, we had Cardale Jones come into town to visit us last weekend, and we actually got to take him and my kids out on Lake Austin on a Saturday. We were trying to think When the last time I had a Saturday off was, and we couldn’t remember. That’s okay. They pay me enough money to where I understand the demands of the job. It was definitely nice to have a weekend of somewhat normalcy. It is difficult, but not just me. Don’t worry about me. We’ll be fine. I worry about our coaches and their families. I worry about our players having to host every single weekend. If you think about it, our players finished finals, a lot of them, last week, and they don’t have to be back until May 28. If we had a visit this weekend, we would have to require kids to come back in and be hosts on official visits. I don’t think that’s right. I just don’t. We talk all the time about student-athlete’s welfare, and yet we dump 12 more weekends on these kids where they’re required to host. It has been challenging. It’s been productive, and we’re not going to throw our hand up in the air and say we’re not going to do it because it’s the way the rules are set up right now. Until they change them, we’re going to have to adapt.

Q: How do you determine which assistants go to the satellite camps, especially the out-of-state ones, and what do you hope to get out of those events?

A: If we only have one on that day, then our entire staff will be there, unless there’s an unofficial visitor in town that somebody has to be at. We’ll be there. When we have two in one day, it will be a two-part deal. Is one of them an area coach’s area? If that’s the case, he’ll probably be there. If we know a specific prospect at a certain coach’s position will be there, then that’s where they will be dispersed. What do we hope to get out of them (satellite camps)? I think evaluation is the biggest thing, and really for the class of ’19, especially with official visits in the spring. Now because of this new way of doing things, and everything is sped up, you better have a good evaluation on the 2020 kids, and the 2021 kids, because you’re going to see a lot earlier offers, unfortunately. For those kids that are late bloomers, or take a couple of years to develop, I don’t like it, but I also know I owe the University of Texas the best recruiting class we can get, and in order to do that, we’ve got to do business the way business is done, too. That’s probably the biggest thing, evaluation. Obviously, it’s not on our campus, so there’s not a whole lot of recruiting going on, but there’s conversations, getting to know each other. There’s kids getting a feel for a coach’s style of coaching. Those sorts of things.

Q: You said the team was fragile before you took over. What did you mean by that?

A: They were fragile. They’re not fragile anymore. I didn’t describe this team … Fragile in the fact they had three straight losing seasons, and they’ve been beaten down by the media. They’ve been beaten down by all of the messaging that gets through into a 19-year-old’s head, or 20-year-old’s head. I don’t have a better word other than fragile. That’s not a bad thing. It just means they needed to be built back up, they needed confidence, and they needed proof that all the things being said about them were not true, and that they could shed that reputation. They did it. They took that challenge. They faced it head on, and they became one of the most physical teams in the country. Certainly, in the Big 12. I’m excited about how they’ve embraced that and have gotten mentally and physically tougher. We don’t let a whole lot bother us anymore. We’ve learned over the year and some change to tune out all the negativity because I think at times we were way too concerned with what other people thought about us. Nobody’s opinion matters. Nobody’s opinions matters except those people in the locker room. What do your teammates think about you? Who cares what the guy with 12 followers on Twitter says about you? Why would you ever let that get to you? Who cares what the internet blogger says about you or your team? Why would you ever let that get to you? The only people that should ever matter, in terms of their opinion, should be your teammates and your coaches. I think we finally started realizing that.

Q: Do you still see the interest (from fans) in the Texas and Texas A&M rivalry, or has it died down?

A: I get asked about it all the time. I don’t know if the interest has died down. It certainly hasn’t on my end. Obviously, with the new schedule coming out, it makes things a bit more challenging. Nothing is impossible, though. Those are decisions I don’t make. I get asked my opinion on, but ultimately those decisions aren’t made by me. It probably has died down a little bit, but every few press conferences I’ll get asked about it.

Q: With the recent non-conference additions, how difficult is it to add Texas A&M?

A: Anything is possible.

Q: With the four offensive linemen you’re bringing in this summer, do you want to redshirt them, or add immediate depth to the position?

A: We’ll see. All four of those guys have developed tremendously since their senior year of playing. When they get here in June, they’re going to have two months of development with the best strength coach in America, too. When we put the pads on, we’ll probably spend a week giving them an opportunity to see if they can help us, but we’re never going to do to a young man what was done to Denzel Okafor. Play 37 snaps and burn a redshirt year. That doesn’t make any sense to me. Denzel Okafor would be well ahead of where he is in terms of advancement right now if he was a redshirt sophomore instead of going into his true junior year. Ideally, I think all of those guys, you’d like to build enough depth at that position to where they can redshirt, unless they just come in and they’re freaks of nature. Some of these guys might be. These guys were very, very highly sought after guys that might be able to do it. They’ll have a chance to develop with coach McKnight. They’ll have a chance to prove if they can be in the rotation, but if they’re not heavily involved in the rotation, we’re not talking 30 plays throughout the whole year. If we’re going to play them, we’re going to play them.

• Like 2

IT

GRIDIRON 

Players don't have to report back to school until May 29th I believe. Then they'll begin "optional" workouts as they welcome the rest of the stellar 2018 class.

In the meantime I asked a quality source some very basic questions; namely, will the offense and defense be better or worse than last year and why?

Offense: Better.

"Calvin is a huge addition, word is he's really good (from the staff's perspective). He's going to benefit both quarterbacks but especially Shane because he'll have more time to throw. Word is the running back (Tre Watson) is pretty good too. Overall, Sam is more mature in his decision making. He'll throw the ball away, he's better through his progressions. Shane is better too. They're good competition for each other. LJ (Lil'Jordan Humphrey) is going to be a monster. He's going to own the middle of the field. He's so smooth. Then you'll have Collin outside. Offense is going to be much better. The offense is going to be fine, they just don't have the same level of cohesion other teams in the conference have."

I asked again about Patrick Hudson.

"He's one of the strongest players I've ever seen. He just has the ability to stonewall guys. I've seen him slam Roach in a drill. Still not sure if he's going to start but competition for right guard will be wide open and they'd love for him to be ready. It's all mental with him but he's progressing."

Defense: Worse.

"They're going to have a thousand sacks but you have to be worried about the run. Losing Poona is big in that regard but so is losing Malik and Deshon. People focus on Elliott's interceptions but most of those were gifts, I'm more worried replacing him in run support. Locke isn't bad in that regard but he isn't going to fill the b-gap like Deshon did. it will be interesting to see how soon the young safeties play. They're both awesome, especially Caden. At linebacker Gary's good, but he's not as good as Malik versus the run. He can get caught in the wash. I do like the secondary versus the pass. The corners should be real good. Even if somebody gets hurt Cook can just come right in and you won't see much drop off. The defense will be good but not as good as last year."

It's important to note, and the source even pointed this out ("we had a 4i playing Rover this spring") that the defense was missing some key components this spring. Let's see what the defense looks like with a healthy Chris Nelson and Gary Johnson.

• Like 2

While I agree Malik was better against the run last year than he was his first two, it was him (and not GJ) that frequently got caught up in the wash. I'm not worried about Gary Johnson in run support, but rather the other LB's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

While I agree Malik was better against the run last year than he was his first two, it was him (and not GJ) that frequently got caught up in the wash. I'm not worried about Gary Johnson in run support, but rather the other LB's.

Eh. Malik didn't get caught up all that much last year, either.  They were both really good, especially when playing together.  You're definitely right though. It's not which of Malik or GJ was better last year. The question is what's the dropoff from Malik to whoever our second LB is?

29 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

That blurb fails to mention that we will have legitimate options at TE for the first time in many years, and that alone should help the offense immensely. 

We have Andrew Beck, who's experienced but doesn't have a high physical ceiling; Brewer, who showed real promise but then tore his ACL; and Leitao, who might have the highest potential but is completely unproven. I saw somewhere that the coaches think Epps can contribute this year, but I'm skeptical.

It's better than what we had to work with last year, but I'm going to hold off on the Kool-Aid when it comes to TE.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We have Andrew Beck, who's experienced but doesn't have a high physical ceiling; Brewer, who showed real promise but then tore his ACL; and Leitao, who might have the highest potential but is completely unproven. I saw somewhere that the coaches think Epps can contribute this year, but I'm skeptical.

It's better than what we had to work with last year, but I'm going to hold off on the Kool-Aid when it comes to TE.

Just starting the season opener without Garret Gray as the starting TE is a huge upgrade.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

That blurb fails to mention that we will have legitimate options at TE for the first time in many years, and that alone should help the offense immensely. 

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sadly, you're both right. Our options at TE are what I would call "serviceable," and yet that could easily be a huge source of improvement from what we rolled out last year. 

The good news is the Trojans are equipped to handle the loss after recruiting an outstanding cornerback class in 2018, bringing in five-star CB Olaijah Griffin and four-star San Diego CB Isaac Taylor-Stuart. USC also signed four-star CB Chase Williams, who joined the program in the spring as an early enrollee. The position gains a lot more depth in general with the return of senior nickelback Jonathan Lockett (hip surgery) and redshirt freshman Greg Johnson (surgery) and Je'Quari Godfrey (worked his way back from knee injury).

Senior CB Isaiah Langley will be one of the favorites to take over opposite of Marshall with Jones out. The senior and former four-star recruit played in 14 games last season along with four starts.

Sounds like they'll be relying on talented but youthful depth.

7 hours ago, ousux said:

I think you're overanalyzing spring football reports. 

Their conclusions are all wrong, Ryan.  

On 5/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, UT Lawnghorn said:

Sadly, you're both right. Our options at TE are what I would call "serviceable," and yet that could easily be a huge source of improvement from what we rolled out last year. 

Beck will be a huge help to our run game, and if we run 2 TEs, Leitao should be pretty scary down the middle with CJ/LJH on the outside. My guess is that Brewer may not be up to full speed for at least the first part of the season.

Edited by Vertigo

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Some interesting twitter activity around Todd Graham. Graham recently started following Chris Del Conte and Texas Director of Player Personnel  Derek Chang recently started following Graham.

Had to look up who Todd Graham was, because I don't follow other schools that closely...

Would love to have him as an "Offensive Quality Control Consultant", or whatever the hell they call coaches who aren't allowed to be called "coaches".

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Had to look up who Todd Graham was, because I don't follow other schools that closely...

Would love to have him as an "Offensive Quality Control Consultant", or whatever the hell they call coaches who aren't allowed to be called "coaches".

Isnt Graham a defensive coach?