Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The premise that Drew Mehringer made a difference above replacement coach in any instance with successfully landing a WR in last year's class is laughable and uninformed. 

Yeah. They were all based on previous UofH-based relationships. Mehringer walked right into good fortune. 

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah. They were all based on previous UofH-based relationships. Mehringer walked right into good fortune. 

I guess what needs to be more clear is that anyone at Texas should have a minimum expectation of landing some recruiting talent. In a year in which there's a new car smell on the program and the state is loaded at WR, the WR coach, no matter who he is, should be expected to land a few blue chip recruits no matter what. Hence the "above replacement coach" comment. Anyone specifically assigning Mehringer credit in recruiting good WRs to Texas during a big WR year in-state is shoving their head up their ass and living in oblivion.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess what needs to be more clear is that anyone at Texas should have a minimum expectation of landing some recruiting talent. In a year in which there's a new car smell on the program and the state is loaded at WR, the WR coach, no matter who he is, should be expected to land a few blue chip recruits no matter what. Hence the "above replacement coach" comment. Anyone specifically assigning Mehringer credit in recruiting good WRs to Texas during a big WR year in-state is shoving their head up their ass and living in oblivion.

If Herman shuffles the offensive staff this year and cuts the weak links, then we could expect to have some combo of new OC, WR, and TE/whatever the fuck Warehime is now. 

My dream picks would be something like:

Kingsbury or Holgerson (both likely to be fired)- OC

Beatty (likely to be fired) - WR

TE/utility coach - Recruiting up and comer from TX HS ranks a la Traylor or keep an open spot for new DC to bring in one of his guys if Orlando gets a new gig and move Meekins back to TE.

I'm not saying Mehringer is good or bad. Maybe he is bad. But CTJ has provided no evidence that he sucks. He's just whined and complained about him for the last year. Pretty hard to prove your point with no evidence. About the closest thing out there are vague rumors of WR team room unhappiness, Duvernay almost transferring and whiffing on Wilson, not really enough yet to pin on Mehringer.  Personally, after seeing his Rutgers performance I was skeptical of the guy, but I figured Herman wouldn't make such a big hiring mistake (of course as I typed that I just thought of Beck. Oh gawd, we're effed).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If Herman shuffles the offensive staff this year and cuts the weak links, then we could expect to have some combo of new OC, WR, and TE/whatever the fuck Warehime is now. 

My dream picks would be something like:

Kingsbury or Holgerson (both likely to be fired)- OC

Beatty (likely to be fired) - WR

TE/utility coach - Recruiting up and comer from TX HS ranks a la Traylor or keep an open spot for new DC to bring in one of his guys if Orlando gets a new gig and move Meekins back to TE.

I know there were steps taken to feel Kingsbury out before he then showed up and beat Texas. He doesn't view himself as a good personality fit with Herman and thinks he'd have interest elsewhere.

Holgerson is running a top 20 team if he gets help on the DL.

I'd be interested in understanding what people think about up and coming TXHSFB coaches that might be a productive fit at Texas. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I'm not saying Mehringer is good or bad. Maybe he is bad. But CTJ has provided no evidence that he sucks. He's just whined and complained about him for the last year. Pretty hard to prove your point with no evidence. About the closest thing out there are vague rumors of WR team room unhappiness, Duvernay almost transferring and whiffing on Wilson, not really enough yet to pin on Mehringer.  Personally, after seeing his Rutgers performance I was skeptical of the guy, but I figured Herman wouldn't make such a big hiring mistake (of course as I typed that I just thought of Beck. Oh gawd, we're effed).

There's also the Higgins recruitment.

Anyway, I think it's pretty well known that CTJ gets his info from someone who's well versed with what's going on inside Bellmont and with the coaching staff.

I think the tea leaves spelled out pretty obviously that RHM hated Mehringer.  
I think the fact he ended up at a CC (or something like that) shows he also hated going to class. Not sure it was totally RHM's choice to leave the program..
  • Like 1

There's also the Higgins recruitment.
Anyway, I think it's pretty well known that CTJ gets his info from someone who's well versed with what's going on inside Bellmont and with the coaching staff.

The big issue on a coach hiring mistake is the timing of the fix. If he’s really not the right guy, now would be the right time to fix it. You can’t do it during the season, and you don’t want to do it right before the early signing period or during the period before the late signing period. If he’s not the right guy, jettison him now.

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What you're saying is that you're oblivious to college football and how the game is played, both the game on the field and the one off of it, when you throw out lines like: "But CTJ has provided no evidence that he sucks. He's just whined and complained about him for the last year. Pretty hard to prove your point with no evidence."

You need evidence beyond the stats and experiences of last season, plus Mehringer's resume prior to that, to understand that he chugs more asshole than a commercial grade rectal bulb?

The WRs didn't improve last year over the course of the season. In fact, they regressed. Statistically this is true and schematically it was evident. Show me one guy, year over year or game over game who improved in route running or blocking results on the WR corps.

The personnel packages were discombobulated and erratic, leading to further offensive mayhem.

There were public complaints from some players and parents (who were shitheads, admittedly, nonetheless that was a new development and problem).

There were behind the scenes issues that I've been generously transparent on, that the $9.95ers have also touched on, and that others who have some insights into the org have done their best to pass on. Choose willingly to dismiss that if it suits you, but then you're dismissing data points with track records behind them in some form. 

On top of all that, the fucking guy was demoted and had his responsibilities pared down immediately after the season - by Tom Herman!

Nevermind the swings and misses on several key targets in this cycle already who would otherwise be coming to Texas. 

In the end, you're one of these guys who needs some form of certainty directly from a HC in order to believe anything other than what he says to you through a microphone. Mehringer will be fired after this year and Herman will set it up as him getting a promotion when Sam Houston State gives him the OC role, and you'll be on here parroting the premise that the guy got a promotion after successful performance on this staff.

You are lazy as fuck as a poster. You perpetually presume you're owed some burden of meeting your expectations of what constitutes proof, yet you show us nothing in terms of your own understanding of what in the fuck is actually going on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The big issue on a coach hiring mistake is the timing of the fix. If he’s really not the right guy, now would be the right time to fix it. You can’t do it during the season, and you don’t want to do it right before the early signing period or during the period before the late signing period. If he’s not the right guy, jettison him now.

Yet that's never the way it happens. Coaching carousels stop in February/early March. Get a fucking clue. That's precisely when Herman demoted Mehringer, which you're either willfully ignoring or incompetently missing.

• Like 1

What you're saying is that you're oblivious to college football and how the game is played, both the game on the field and the one off of it, when you throw out lines like: "But CTJ has provided no evidence that he sucks. He's just whined and complained about him for the last year. Pretty hard to prove your point with no evidence."
You need evidence beyond the stats and experiences of last season, plus Mehringer's resume prior to that, to understand that he chugs more asshole than a commercial grade rectal bulb?
The WRs didn't improve last year over the course of the season. In fact, they regressed. Statistically this is true and schematically it was evident. Show me one guy, year over year or game over game who improved in route running or blocking results on the WR corps.
The personnel packages were discombobulated and erratic, leading to further offensive mayhem.
There were public complaints from some players and parents (who were shitheads, admittedly, nonetheless that was a new development and problem).
There were behind the scenes issues that I've been generously transparent on, that the $9.95ers have also touched on, and that others who have some insights into the org have done their best to pass on. Choose willingly to dismiss that if it suits you, but then you're dismissing data points with track records behind them in some form. 
On top of all that, the fucking guy was demoted and had his responsibilities pared down immediately after the season - by Tom Herman!
Nevermind the swings and misses on several key targets in this cycle already who would otherwise be coming to Texas. 
In the end, you're one of these guys who needs some form of certainty directly from a HC in order to believe anything other than what he says to you through a microphone. Mehringer will be fired after this year and Herman will set it up as him getting a promotion when Sam Houston State gives him the OC role, and you'll be on here parroting the premise that the guy got a promotion after successful performance on this staff.
You are lazy as fuck as a poster. You perpetually presume you're owed some burden of meeting your expectations of what constitutes proof, yet you show us nothing in terms of your own understanding of what in the fuck is actually going on. 

Your response demonstrates you are a very angry old man who takes questioning of your viewpoint as a personal attack on you as an individual. I hope you find some peace in your life. Good luck.

50 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Your response demonstrates you are a very angry old man who takes questioning of your viewpoint as a personal attack on you as an individual. I hope you find some peace in your life. Good luck.

So poster X offers a position of their own. Poster Y shows up and dismisses position with false argument. Poster X responds back with exhaustive support for his position. Poster X also says that poster Y is lazy as fuck and if he's going to show up spouting bullshit, he should try harder in the future. Poster Y counters with "you're an old man and your life must suck". Solid work. You didn't try any harder to get on my level, but hey, your projection as to who I am did make me laugh. 

My words for summer are:  Just fuckng win Mother Fuckers!  Kill, Kill, OU SUXS and Make them eat shit.  I want a mean fucking team next year Tom.  Make it fucking so!  The Eyes are upon you and if you win we will sing all the day long but most of all if you crush OUSUXs, Slaughter the Irish some how, and Death to UCLA!  Win them all and take fucking names!

Just saying.

• Like 1

My words for summer are:  Just fuckng win Mother Fuckers!  Kill, Kill, OU SUXS and Make them eat shit.  I want a mean fucking team next year Tom.  Make it fucking so!  The Eyes are upon you and if you win we will sing all the day long but most of all if you crush OUSUXs, Slaughter the Irish some how, and Death to UCLA!  Win them all and take fucking names! Just saying.

Uhh..bro, grats on waking up from your coma and all that, but it's not 2017 (we already beat the Leprechauns last year..spoiler!) or whatever year we played the bruins. We do have terps and condoms coming up though.. Also, this may come as a shock, but Bobby munches on his bag o dicks from the stands now, but blowU still sucks, that won't change.

• Like 1

So poster X offers a position of their own. Poster Y shows up and dismisses position with false argument. Poster X responds back with exhaustive support for his position. Poster X also says that poster Y is lazy as fuck and if he's going to show up spouting bullshit, he should try harder in the future. Poster Y counters with "you're an old man and your life must suck". Solid work. You didn't try any harder to get on my level, but hey, your projection as to who I am did make me laugh. 

I was told there would be no calculus...

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Finally, someone who knows how to properly employ the word "fuck"--for effect and emphasis; not just random pleasure.

9 hours ago, Viper said:

So what's the story with Wyatt?

Whatever it was, it wasn’t serious enough to keep him from being hired by Josh Heupel at UCF.   Maybe he stole from a staff member while fooling around with their wife during a drug party at the home of an important recruit during the dead period.  

17 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Do you even waddle bro 

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Whatever it was, it wasn’t serious enough to keep him from being hired by Josh Heupel at UCF.   Maybe he stole from a staff member while fooling around with their wife during a drug party at the home of an important recruit during the dead period.  

Being prevented from a Sooner hiring you to work at a directional Florida school is a very low bar. Outside of Wyatt being behind the Las Vegas or Parkland shootings, I don't think anything was going to stop Coach Shot Put from hiring him. 

Still have one open spot on the 85, but the current rating for each side of the ball is

offense: 0.8964

defense: 0.9083

The following roster breakdown is as follows:

SR class 19(includes Anderson and Watson) -> 0.8838

JR class 15 -> 0.9055

SO class 18(includes Grandy) -> 0.8897

FR class 6 -> 0.8605

RS class 26 -> 0.9229

The FR and RS numbers will change as guys from the 2018 class start playing.

2 minutes ago, thepop said:

Bragging about facilities is stupid. Schools build/upgrade facilities at different times. It's like bragging about getting the new iphone. It's going to be outdated in a year.

Agreed on all counts, but oooof the bubble really tests that. It's hilariously bad not just compared to other elites, but the FBS in general.

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Agreed on all counts, but oooof the bubble really tests that. It's hilariously bad not just compared to other elites, but the FBS in general.

That bubble is atrocious - we're one of the few teams without a proper indoor facility for football. Crazy

Just now, UcancallmeSurly said:

Top revenue producing program for decades... are we even top 10 or close in the facilities race?

Locker room is top 5. The weight room and most of the rest of Moncrief is newly redone and technologically up-to-date, but constrained by the bones of it being put in place before programs started making them bigger and doing things as basic as positioning them to have big windows and views. The bubble is rock-bottom bad.

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Locker room is top 5. The weight room and most of the rest of Moncrief is newly redone and technologically up-to-date, but constrained by the bones of it being put in place before programs started making them bigger and doing things as basic as positioning them to have big windows and views. The bubble is rock-bottom bad.

Texas should be top 3 in every facilities measurable based on income.  Especially considering we won’t ever be a program that has a rogue booster network or corrupt eligibility tactics.

just doesnt make sense not to maximize the legitimate advantages we posses, especially given the fact the ADept contributes back to the University better than anyone.