Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, not to be a Debbie Downer, but seems like more often than not those who can't make it in the summer because of a test score or GPA never become a Longhorn.

What are you talking about??? Damion Miller should finish his summer school classes any day now and will be on campus by the start of fall camp.  And Devo Clairington got the ACT score he needed.  Now we're just waiting for the NCAA clearinghouse to let him in.

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

What are you talking about??? Damion Miller should finish his summer school classes any day now and will be on campus by the start of fall camp.  And Devo Clairington got the ACT score he needed.  Now we're just waiting for the NCAA clearinghouse to let him in.

I'm just waiting for us to find out that he's missing his foreign language requirement.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm happy to be wrong here. I wonder what the TigerDroppings posters that said LSU backed off because of grades will say now? 

Enjoy your 15 man 2018 recruiting class Oeaux! 

Wells seems to be corroborating on Twitter. The gang's all here.

Damn, Shack looking like a proper grown ass Offensivelineman.  I remember him looking like a baby face and people wringing their hands about how he was going to hold up against whatever ND DT he was going to have to block. 

Time for his game to take the next step too 

19 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Damn, Shack looking like a proper grown ass Offensivelineman.  I remember him looking like a baby face and people wringing their hands about how he was going to hold up against whatever ND DT he was going to have to block. 

Time for his game to take the next step too 

I'd like to see his game take a bunch of steps, preferably in direct conflict with the direction of various defenders. It's time for that, I think. Then maybe I won't explode in laughter at the concept that he's on the Rimington Watch list. I'm looking for the little things in life, really.

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

200w.gif

Just now, closetojumping said:

I'd like to see his game take a bunch of steps, preferably in direct conflict with the direction of various defenders. It's time for that, I think. Then maybe I won't explode in laughter at the concept that he's on the Rimington Watch list. I'm looking for the little things in life, really.

Which happens first, Shack quits getting blown back or Vahe learns how to pick up a stunt?

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Speaking of D. Miller wonder if we circle back. He was all Texas for a long time and CS first recruit IIRC.

Was told last year he tore his acl at JC. Haven't heard anything since. I can find out if anybody cares. 

Bill Connolly's USC preview is up: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/31/17366488/usc-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

He's got them with a 54% chance to win in ATX, but...

It’s so hard to project teams that have most of what they need, but have a massive question mark at quarterback. USC won’t need a 2016-Darnold performance to be a clear Pac-12 South favorite, but the Trojans still need competence.

They’ll need fast competence, too. Per S&P+, USC is 15th overall and a projected favorite in 10 of 12 games, but the Trojans play at Stanford in week two and at Texas in week three, then return home for a short-week game against Washington State and a visit to Arizona.

USC hasn’t been a fast starter under Helton, and if it takes until October to get rolling, the Trojans could be 2-3 and hoping to salvage a nine-win season. But if Sears/Daniels/Fink finds a nice rhythm, every game on the schedule is winnable.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:22 AM, South Austin said:

Yeah, not to be a Debbie Downer, but seems like more often than not those who can't make it in the summer because of a test score or GPA never become a Longhorn.

It’s most often the case. My memory is not so great in regards to some of these things but didn’t D. Foreman arrive late in the summer after attending summer school?

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s most often the case. My memory is not so great in regards to some of these things but didn’t D. Foreman arrive late in the summer after attending summer school?

He did. Thank God that one worked out! Glad to hear Williams is in. He's got a ton of potential. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tre Watson ETA is next week.

Kyle Porter to fullback confirmed (insert sarcasm). 

For as well as Charlie recruited in some areas, he gave us Tristian Houston, Chris Warren, and Kyle Porter at RB. I mean WTF...

Edited by Vertigo

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

For as well as Charlie recruited in some areas, he gave us Tristian Houston, Chris Warren, and Kyle Porter at RB. I mean WTF...

Porter is a hell of a young man. I believe he's the only scholarship engineering major on the entire team. I wish him the best. His future after football is very bright. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Porter is a hell of a young man. I believe he's the only scholarship engineering major on the entire team. I wish him the best. His future after football is very bright. 

Very smart kid. Very mediocre football player. And to think Darius Anderson from TCU committed to us and Strong was like naaaaah.

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah, Strong shit the bed on that position. Not to mention he was sitting a sophomore D'onta Foreman in favor of a clearly slow Jonathan Gray. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 9:27 PM, Machinator said:

Justin Wells says "it might be a few weeks" before Mike Williams makes it in.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:26 AM, Fud said:

Mike Williams made it in last night, per Suchomel 

On 5/30/2018 at 10:52 AM, texifornia said:

Either Wells was trying to sell $9.95 subscriptions or he is completely out of the loop of information and has to witness something first hand before he can report it.

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Either Wells was trying to sell $9.95 subscriptions or he is completely out of the loop of information and has to witness something first hand before he can report it.

Those don't have to be mutually exclusive. 

I for one am just happy that the big fellow made it in. 

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

hindsight is 20/20... any coach who pulled those guys would've been congratulated / celebrated at the time.  Houston has injury issues outside any coaches control.  Warren actually played pretty well under Charlie.  Porter has definitely underwhelmed so far.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

hindsight is 20/20... any coach who pulled those guys would've been congratulated / celebrated at the time.  Houston has injury issues outside any coaches control.  Warren actually played pretty well under Charlie.  Porter has definitely underwhelmed so far.

Not really. Houston was always a JAG and Porter was barely a 4 Star even though he had the Katy OL to trump up his film.  There were better backs to be had at the time than those two. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

Houston was the second back with Warren. I am not sure Strong was going to get to two highly-rated guys in the same class. Porter definitely received mixed reviews and was rated low-enough that we probably should have tried to package a second guy in the class or aimed higher. Of course it is also hard to recruit top-shelf RBs when the OL looks to be 4 years away from being even passable and your team sucks on the field. Strong may have been a decent recruiter, but the deficits on his coaching side surely hindered his efforts. It would have been nice if he had an RB coach who could have identified a less-heralded guy with real upside like Foreman (I'm not going to give any credit for evaluating him.) or hopefully Daniel Young.

I usually don't go the old man route when it comes to social media, but this kid loves to tout how much work he's about to put in...
Balances out the Johnson brothers always talking about how much work they ARE doing. Put the two together, show me a fuckin loss...
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I usually don't go the old man route when it comes to social media, but this kid loves to tout how much work he's about to put in...

Cecil Cherry did the same thing, and then he got popped into reality in his first week of practice and transferred. Fortunately, Calvin's got nowhere else to go. 

• Like 1

IT

New
By: IT STAFF

RESTRUCTURING THE AD

Athletic Director Chris Del Conte let it be known he's looking to hire two senior level AD's. As we've covered, he has aggressive plans to streamline and restructure the Athletic Department. We've mentioned the department will shrink in size, and that likely happens at the end of this month.

I'm not sure how the restructuring will look, but as of now he has head coaches of the various programs reporting directly to officials in the athletic department, save football and basketball who report directly to him. Perhaps one of the assistant AD's will get women's sports and the other men's.

We do know the athletic department will no longer have a women's and men's athletic director. We've heard conflicting things on the fate of Chris Plonsky. Most likely is she'll ride her contract into retirement.

TEAM

The freshman have arrived and the struggle is real. They just aren't in the same kind of shape as the rest of the team but to their credit they are fighting. They'll be fine, it's just that 'basic training' is a bit of a rude awakening as workout intensity is dialed up significantly from what they're used to.

Obviously it's too early to tell anything, but a couple of things I've heard is Joseph Ossai is impressing. He's in good shape, has a good frame, and is showing great fluidity in drills. Another name mentioned was Josh Moore for his speed. Not surprising, but good to hear.

@dosbobby asked us to check on injuries.

What we've heard is everyone is participating as normal save Montrell Estell. I asked about Gary Johnson and heard, he's back, but not at full speed. Gary plays so fast it's very noticeable he's not his old self yet. Hopefully he's not rushing a return. We often get asked about Kirk Johnson, in fact I was asked about him at all three stops in the recent days. He is participating but any production from him at this point is found money. I would keep expectations low for him remaining healthy, but obviously keep your hopes high. I wish I would have asked about Cade Brewer but it slipped my mind. He's apparently working with the team, however. I'll check on him and Patrick Hudson shortly.

Team 7 on 7 started back up today. Teams were decided by 1s and 2s from spring with freshmen sprinkling in where they can. I have no details on how that went yet, but I'm sure stuff will trickle our way in the coming days.

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

New
By: IT STAFF

RESTRUCTURING THE AD

Athletic Director Chris Del Conte let it be known he's looking to hire two senior level AD's. As we've covered, he has aggressive plans to streamline and restructure the Athletic Department. We've mentioned the department will shrink in size, and that likely happens at the end of this month.

I'm not sure how the restructuring will look, but as of now he has head coaches of the various programs reporting directly to officials in the athletic department, save football and basketball who report directly to him. Perhaps one of the assistant AD's will get women's sports and the other men's.

We do know the athletic department will no longer have a women's and men's athletic director. We've heard conflicting things on the fate of Chris Plonsky. Most likely is she'll ride her contract into retirement.

TEAM

The freshman have arrived and the struggle is real. They just aren't in the same kind of shape as the rest of the team but to their credit they are fighting. They'll be fine, it's just that 'basic training' is a bit of a rude awakening as workout intensity is dialed up significantly from what they're used to.

Obviously it's too early to tell anything, but a couple of things I've heard is Joseph Ossai is impressing. He's in good shape, has a good frame, and is showing great fluidity in drills. Another name mentioned was Josh Moore for his speed. Not surprising, but good to hear.

@dosbobby asked us to check on injuries.

What we've heard is everyone is participating as normal save Montrell Estell. I asked about Gary Johnson and heard, he's back, but not at full speed. Gary plays so fast it's very noticeable he's not his old self yet. Hopefully he's not rushing a return. We often get asked about Kirk Johnson, in fact I was asked about him at all three stops in the recent days. He is participating but any production from him at this point is found money. I would keep expectations low for him remaining healthy, but obviously keep your hopes high. I wish I would have asked about Cade Brewer but it slipped my mind. He's apparently working with the team, however. I'll check on him and Patrick Hudson shortly.

Team 7 on 7 started back up today. Teams were decided by 1s and 2s from spring with freshmen sprinkling in where they can. I have no details on how that went yet, but I'm sure stuff will trickle our way in the coming days.

So if Estell is the only one not participating does that mean Grandy is back working out?