Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Some of the posts are VIP, but it looks in "The Eyes" segment on 247 that talk is going on that Angilau may leave after 1 year on campus to do his mission trip and I seen mention of Grandy going on medical scholarship.

We'll see once he's in the program

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Some of the posts are VIP, but it looks in "The Eyes" segment on 247 that talk is going on that Angilau may leave after 1 year on campus to do his mission trip and I seen mention of Grandy going on medical scholarship.

here you go :: 

There are two enigmas on the offensive line at this point — Mikey Grandy and Patrick Hudson — simply because Hand hasn’t gotten to work with them much on the field.

Grandy got some time on the field at the start of spring ball before suffering a concussion that had lingering effects and wiped out the rest of his spring. Hudson got some time on the field at the very end of spring and was very inconsistent.

Tom Herman said before spring ball ended that Grandy “needed” to get back on the field. It’s obvious Herman expects Grandy back for fall camp. But concussions, especially those that have lingering effects, can have different impacts on different people. And I’m told it might be too early to determine if Grandy is going to be ready for fall camp or not, which could raise bigger questions about if Grandy’s football future could be in doubt. It’s simply too early to tell. But there’s concern.

Hudson simply needs reps — lots of them, because even though he redshirted his freshman year (when he also suffered a broken foot), Hudson has barely played after suffering a torn ACL in the second game of last season.

There has been a lot of speculation regarding the enrollment date for 2018 offensive line signee Junior Angilau. The four-star recruit was once considering pushing off his enrollment at Texas to take a two-year mission trip after he graduates from high school. I caught up with several sources regarding the status of Angilau's decision, and it sounds like the Longhorns will be adding the offensive lineman this summer for offseason training.

Multiple sources close to Texas and the O-lineman confirmed Angilau is expected to enroll for the 2018 summer session following graduation from Salt Lake City (Utah) East on June 6. One source said it is believed that Angilau will enroll for his freshman year at Texas, and will then contemplate taking his two-year mission trip following his first season of college. However, no decision is set in stone, and it is simply an idea that has been discussed.

Angilau is the Longhorns' highest-rated offensive lineman Tom Herman signed in the 2018 recruiting cycle. 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So Grandy showing up and instantly getting mega-concussed would be a huge kick in the balls. Kid is a good football player.

I wonder if he may have taken a serious shot or two during his time doing MMA.  Been 2+ months since his concussion.

None of that makes any sense..

If Grandy's concussion was that bad, I don't see anything but medical retirement, and if Anglilau is going to do his mission at any time before his college career is up, he might as well do it as soon as he graduates HS.

Fuck everything about that write up.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:52 PM, Casual Encounter said:

* In practice

He's made a fuckton of great catches in games as well, and he's far and away the best receiver we've had on campus in years. No idea why the fanbase hates on him so much. He's had Buechele & Ehlinger throwing to him for Christsakes. 

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

He's made a fuckton of great catches in games as well, and he's far and away the best receiver we've had on campus in years. No idea why the fanbase hates on him so much. He's had Buechele & Ehlinger throwing to him for Christsakes. 

I think there's legitimate frustration with how Collin looked like a world beater against USC, then seemed to fizzle the rest of the year. I can't honestly say whether the fault lies with him, Beck, or the QBs.

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

I apologize for offending you Mr. Johnson.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I think there's legitimate frustration with how Collin looked like a world beater against USC, then seemed to fizzle the rest of the year. I can't honestly say whether the fault lies with him, Beck, or the QBs.

What can you dishonestly say?

Edited by Machinator

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

I'm pretty sure its widely known that he has trouble getting off the line. When your OL sucks as bad as it did last year... a guy that has speed and length but no ability to get off the line is not going to perform well if the QBs only have a couple of seconds to throw. Plus, I think Collin found it difficult to get open when QBs had to scramble. I think he can learn these things. I hope he can.  We need him. 

1 hour ago, longhrnfan said:

I'm pretty sure its widely known that he has trouble getting off the line. When your OL sucks as bad as it did last year... a guy that has speed and length but no ability to get off the line is not going to perform well if the QBs only have a couple of seconds to throw. Plus, I think Collin found it difficult to get open when QBs had to scramble. I think he can learn these things. I hope he can.  We need him. 

Agree. Seems like he should be more physical, overall. 

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

He was one of the best freshman WR in the country IMO in 2016. He seems to have some issues getting open, but he’s made his fair share of highlight contested catches (Tech 2016 comes to mind). I think Herman/Beck tried to steer the QB’s away from throwing at WR’s that weren’t totally open (probably a good idea for young QB’s), vs 2016 where Buechele was more willing to chuck up some risks and let CJ make plays. So I’d say the “blame” lies with all 3. 

The reality is that Johnson is an entitled shit off of the field and a loafer in practice. That said, those things shouldn't be license for Mehringer and Herman to so thoroughly fuck with him that he loses an understanding of up from down. There are ways to coach star talents into star performers, and there are ways to fuck those types up along the way.

Drew Mehringer is putting on a clinic right now when it comes to coaching ineptitude. His players despise him, he's making an ass of himself in recruiting, and he's oblivious and full of shit as he does it all.

Darrell Wyatt with Collin Johnson would have him going over 1,000 yards per season and we would not be asking why CJ isn't starting and playing most snaps. But Darrell Wyatt fucked up his situation when Tom Herman was working on getting the job at Texas, and Herman told him to fuck off on his way out the door in Houston as a result. And now we have a complete fucking rube teabagging the WR position for Texas as the position coach. 

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I was hoping Grandy or Hudson would seize the RG spot.

The Grandy news is obviously not great but it's also too early to completely write him off.  I'll also add that Grandy is very raw and never had a great shot at winning a starting spot this year. Him being out all spring pretty much guaranteed that. Regarding Hudson, that update didn't say anything we didn't already know, so I don't think your outlook on Hudson should change at all after reading that. 

Btw, my ideal RG for next year is Okafor. Dude can run block and his feet can hold up in pass pro at G.  Let Hudson come along from his injury and challenge whichever starting Guard is under performing halfway through the season.

*cough Vahe * cough

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

The reality is that Johnson is an entitled shit off of the field and a loafer in practice. That said, those things shouldn't be license for Mehringer and Herman to so thoroughly fuck with him that he loses an understanding of up from down. There are ways to coach star talents into star performers, and there are ways to fuck those types up along the way.
Drew Mehringer is putting on a clinic right now when it comes to coaching ineptitude. His players despise him, he's making an ass of himself in recruiting, and he's oblivious and full of shit as he does it all.
Darrell Wyatt with Collin Johnson would have him going over 1,000 yards per season and we would not be asking why CJ isn't starting and playing most snaps. But Darrell Wyatt fucked up his situation when Tom Herman was working on getting the job at Texas, and Herman told him to fuck off on his way out the door in Houston as a result. And now we have a complete fucking rube teabagging the WR position for Texas as the position coach. 

Our WR pull last year was solid. This seems a little over the top.