Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

I have no memory of last year’s Iowa State game. I googled it, read about it, and I still have no memory of it.

We was afeared.  Very afeared.  Thursday night game in Ames.  The oracle of football told us nobody wins at night in Ames.  And then their QB took a giant hit of meth and then another and another.  And well, the football drug gods were not kind to him that night.

The Eyes: Texas' offensive outlook, latest on facility upgrades

Texas football is nearly two months out from the beginning of Year 2 of the Tom Herman era. The Longhorns are preparing for what is hoped to be a better season on the field, but a lot of the success will ride on the offense. Herman arrived at Texas with high hopes after he coached some of the best offensive units in the country during his time spent as OC under Urban Meyer and as head coach at Houston. That was not the case during the head coach’s first season at Texas when his offense put up disappointing numbers that ultimately hindered the success of the team. But there is reason for added optimism heading into 2018 as the Longhorns have a more experienced unit, and added some key graduate transfers who are expected to see early playing time this year. Horns247 insiders have the latest on the inner workings behind the scenes at Texas, including the progress being made during offseason conditioning, and much more. Welcome to The Eyes of Texas.

Let’s Talk Some Texas Offense

I had a good conversation with a team source about the hope in 2018 for the Texas offense. At quarterback, the expectation is Sam Ehlinger takes the next step in maturity and decision making and isn’t trying to make THE play, every play, but instead knows when to throw it away and live to play another down. Make no mistake, the job is Ehlinger’s to lose, and he’s the guy Herman, who was the first to offer Ehlinger a scholarship while coaching at Houston, is counting on to elevate the Texas offense in Year 2 of the Herman era. Shane Buechele is respected by the staff and could very well be counted on if Ehlinger struggles or gets injured. And the coaches know Buechele becomes a much better quarterback if his offensive line can create holes for a running game, thus creating play-action pass. When Buechele has play-action (a fake handoff to suck the defense in) before setting his feet and throwing down field, he’s at his accurate best throwing deep.

There are high hopes for both early enrollee freshmen quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson, both of whom the coaches feel improved significantly in the spring and are on an accelerated growth rate. “The quarterback situation is light-years from where it was a year ago,” the source said. “Light years. And the depth and future of the position is in good hands. A year from now, you could have four guys really going at it. And that’s what you want.”

At running back, there is increasing faith in Cal graduate transfer Tre Watson to possibly emerge as the No. 1 back (in large part because of his versatility) until true freshman Keaontay Ingram has adjusted to the speed and demands (blitz pickup) of the college game. There are enough carries to go around if Daniel Young and Toneil Carter take big steps as sophomores, or if four-year junior Kirk Johnson pulls off the comeback of the year following off-season ankle surgery. Johnson should be cleared to return to full action in July on the 'One Final Shot Tour.' “We’re about to find out just how talented Tre Watson is,” the source said. “He’s confident, and he’s looking at this year as a contract year, which is just fine. If he plays that way, it very well could be.”

If Ingram is the future at running back, then Watson might be the now in terms of his experience and ability to help show the rest of the running back room what focus, work ethic and intensity are all about (are you listening Toneil Carter?). No one is anointing Watson yet, but his technique and awareness are further along than the rest of the running back room. Now, Watson just needs to show it all translates to the field.

At receiver, the source said, “The ball is going to go to 84 and 9 a lot. Those guys have been challenged and started taking it to another level in spring ball. Their size (Lil'Jordan Humphrey is 6-foot-5 and Collin Johnson is 6-6) with Devin Duvernay’s speed should be a solid combination.” The sense is Humphrey’s got more dog in him than the rest of the receiving corps, and that’s something the coaches have challenged Johnson about. In the spring, coaches saw more fire out of Johnson, and want to see it continue and carry over to the field. In short, coaches want to see Johnson carry himself like one of, if not the best, receiver in the Big 12, and then play like it. Johnson has done a better job of leading, something sorely needed on an offense that’s been leadership-starved in recent years. “Nothing should hold him (Johnson) back this season,” the source said. “It’s his time.”

A lot of you have asked about early enrollee freshman Brennan Eagles and his progress. I’m being told to be patient with Eagles, who may be pressing/overthinking things instead of just jumping in and grinding. Physically, Eagles looks like something out of Muscle & Fitness. Mentally, the game still needs to slow down … a lot. And Eagles needs to play as physical as he looks. (Sound familiar a year ago? … Collin Johnson?) As I reported last week in The Eyes, there is a great appreciation for the leadership of senior quarterback-turned-receiver Jerrod Heard. Heard is a guy who grinds at his craft but also isn’t afraid to take younger guys under his wing or take on other veterans when he thinks the intensity of a summer workout needs to be ramped up. Heard, who broke Vince Young’s single-game total offense record with 527 yards against Cal in 2015, is someone you want to cheer for to have some success, because he truly puts the interest of the team ahead of his own.

At tight end, there is a sense the depth and talent could be a significant difference-maker to this year’s offense—and not just adding a gap the defense has to defend in the running game. I’ve had my doubts about Andrew Beck’s ultimate contribution to any Texas offense. To me, he seemed like he was still fighting to adjust and/or convince himself he was a tight end instead of a linebacker. And then when Beck went down with a season-ending foot injury in fall camp, Herman made it sound like the team had lost Jason Witten. But when you talk to teammates, it’s clear Beck’s toughness, blocking and leadership are seen as important elements of the offense’s attitude and personality this season. You cannot fake toughness, and Beck, a former linebacker, has the across-the-board respect of the best players on defense, including wild man Breckyn Hager.

So, I’m no longer selling the importance of Beck to the offense—I’m buying—although I still think Cade Brewer is the next David Thomas. And Reese Leitao’s behavior on and off the field (3.7 GPA) his redshirt freshman year, while on probation for selling Xanax at Tulsa Jenks High School, was stellar. The sense is Leitao is an emerging star at tight end.

You may be thinking: But, Chip, none of this skill position stuff means anything if the offensive line jumps out of the way like those fools running from the bulls in Pamplona, Spain (which has opening ceremonies July 5). The early word on Rice grad transfer Calvin Anderson, who is vying to replace All-American Connor Williamsat left tackle, is he has much better feet and technique than anyone UT was considering there this season (Denzel Okafor, Samuel Cosmi, etc.). So, barring unforeseen circumstances, go ahead and pencil Anderson into that left tackle role. Patrick Vahe has always been in the category of a better guy than a football player for me. But Herman swears Herb Hand is cleaning up Vahe’s technique and effectiveness. Let’s hope so. Otherwise, watching Vahe in pass protection at left guard one last season could be the definition of insanity.

Texas will have an answer at center—either Zach Shackelford or Derek Kerstetter—as well as at right guard—either Elijah Rodriguez, Tope Imade or maybe even dark horse Junior Angilau—as well as right tackle in Okafor, Cosmi or Kerstetter. Herman is all in on Hand and believes Hand’s ability to teach technique and details such as combination blocking will lead to success in the running game, which should then lead to success in the passing game. You got all that? (Chip Brown)

It was Only a Matter of Time

Got a text from a source close to the situation on Monday that read, “Jalen Green is the real deal.” If you thought Caden Sterns, B.J. Foster and Anthony Cook had good springs as early enrollee freshmen, then feel free to add freshman corner Jalen Green to the list of those not backing down from any challenge and making plays against veteran receivers. It was just a matter of time, in my opinion. Green has 2001 Miami Hurricane fluidity to his hips and ability to turn and run. He needs to develop physically for sure. Green may have the longest way to go in that department. But Green can turn and run, has great makeup speed and defends the ball in the air as if it’s personal. And that’s all you ask of any stud football player at Texas or anywhere else — take personal pride in what you’re doing. Make it matter. And, ultimately, do it for your teammates.

Green is a star in the making and is going to push for playing time as a true freshman. Mark my words on that one. Texas is trying to cement its claim as DBU. With guys like Sterns, Foster, Cook and Green coming on, Texas will be making its argument in the next couple years. (Chip Brown)

• Like 1

Show me a loss
I took a peek at the schedule, can't do it..

Incidentally, I love how every 9.95er write up I've seen lately fails to mention Kyle Porter when talking about the RB's...as if he's no longer on the team or something. There's no question he's not our best back, but he was actually starting to tote the ball pretty well towards the end of last season, and he's probably our best at blitz pick up. Like it or not, he'll see some play time next year even with our Freshman stud coming in.

Incidentally, I love how every 9.95er write up I've seen lately fails to mention Kyle Porter when talking about the RB's...as if he's no longer on the team or something. There's no question he's not our best back, but he was actually starting to tote the ball pretty well towards the end of last season, and he's probably our best at blitz pick up. Like it or not, he'll see some play time next year even with our Freshman stud coming in.

Tha fuck? Shut your whore mouth bout porter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ousux said:

No, man, just ... no. Porter was terrible last year and he didn't improve. He was a fucking train wreck in the MIssouri game to end the season. He averaged 2.7 ypc in the bowl and missed a couple of holes that literally could have had an 18-wheeler driven through them without anyone touching it. He's not a good player who needs to graduate and join the work force. 

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

The Eyes: Texas' offensive outlook, latest on facility upgrades

Hide contents

Texas football is nearly two months out from the beginning of Year 2 of the Tom Herman era. The Longhorns are preparing for what is hoped to be a better season on the field, but a lot of the success will ride on the offense. Herman arrived at Texas with high hopes after he coached some of the best offensive units in the country during his time spent as OC under Urban Meyer and as head coach at Houston. That was not the case during the head coach’s first season at Texas when his offense put up disappointing numbers that ultimately hindered the success of the team. But there is reason for added optimism heading into 2018 as the Longhorns have a more experienced unit, and added some key graduate transfers who are expected to see early playing time this year. Horns247 insiders have the latest on the inner workings behind the scenes at Texas, including the progress being made during offseason conditioning, and much more. Welcome to The Eyes of Texas.

Let’s Talk Some Texas Offense

I had a good conversation with a team source about the hope in 2018 for the Texas offense. At quarterback, the expectation is Sam Ehlinger takes the next step in maturity and decision making and isn’t trying to make THE play, every play, but instead knows when to throw it away and live to play another down. Make no mistake, the job is Ehlinger’s to lose, and he’s the guy Herman, who was the first to offer Ehlinger a scholarship while coaching at Houston, is counting on to elevate the Texas offense in Year 2 of the Herman era. Shane Buechele is respected by the staff and could very well be counted on if Ehlinger struggles or gets injured. And the coaches know Buechele becomes a much better quarterback if his offensive line can create holes for a running game, thus creating play-action pass. When Buechele has play-action (a fake handoff to suck the defense in) before setting his feet and throwing down field, he’s at his accurate best throwing deep.

There are high hopes for both early enrollee freshmen quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson, both of whom the coaches feel improved significantly in the spring and are on an accelerated growth rate. “The quarterback situation is light-years from where it was a year ago,” the source said. “Light years. And the depth and future of the position is in good hands. A year from now, you could have four guys really going at it. And that’s what you want.”

At running back, there is increasing faith in Cal graduate transfer Tre Watson to possibly emerge as the No. 1 back (in large part because of his versatility) until true freshman Keaontay Ingram has adjusted to the speed and demands (blitz pickup) of the college game. There are enough carries to go around if Daniel Young and Toneil Carter take big steps as sophomores, or if four-year junior Kirk Johnson pulls off the comeback of the year following off-season ankle surgery. Johnson should be cleared to return to full action in July on the 'One Final Shot Tour.' “We’re about to find out just how talented Tre Watson is,” the source said. “He’s confident, and he’s looking at this year as a contract year, which is just fine. If he plays that way, it very well could be.”

If Ingram is the future at running back, then Watson might be the now in terms of his experience and ability to help show the rest of the running back room what focus, work ethic and intensity are all about (are you listening Toneil Carter?). No one is anointing Watson yet, but his technique and awareness are further along than the rest of the running back room. Now, Watson just needs to show it all translates to the field.

At receiver, the source said, “The ball is going to go to 84 and 9 a lot. Those guys have been challenged and started taking it to another level in spring ball. Their size (Lil'Jordan Humphrey is 6-foot-5 and Collin Johnson is 6-6) with Devin Duvernay’s speed should be a solid combination.” The sense is Humphrey’s got more dog in him than the rest of the receiving corps, and that’s something the coaches have challenged Johnson about. In the spring, coaches saw more fire out of Johnson, and want to see it continue and carry over to the field. In short, coaches want to see Johnson carry himself like one of, if not the best, receiver in the Big 12, and then play like it. Johnson has done a better job of leading, something sorely needed on an offense that’s been leadership-starved in recent years. “Nothing should hold him (Johnson) back this season,” the source said. “It’s his time.”

A lot of you have asked about early enrollee freshman Brennan Eagles and his progress. I’m being told to be patient with Eagles, who may be pressing/overthinking things instead of just jumping in and grinding. Physically, Eagles looks like something out of Muscle & Fitness. Mentally, the game still needs to slow down … a lot. And Eagles needs to play as physical as he looks. (Sound familiar a year ago? … Collin Johnson?) As I reported last week in The Eyes, there is a great appreciation for the leadership of senior quarterback-turned-receiver Jerrod Heard. Heard is a guy who grinds at his craft but also isn’t afraid to take younger guys under his wing or take on other veterans when he thinks the intensity of a summer workout needs to be ramped up. Heard, who broke Vince Young’s single-game total offense record with 527 yards against Cal in 2015, is someone you want to cheer for to have some success, because he truly puts the interest of the team ahead of his own.

At tight end, there is a sense the depth and talent could be a significant difference-maker to this year’s offense—and not just adding a gap the defense has to defend in the running game. I’ve had my doubts about Andrew Beck’s ultimate contribution to any Texas offense. To me, he seemed like he was still fighting to adjust and/or convince himself he was a tight end instead of a linebacker. And then when Beck went down with a season-ending foot injury in fall camp, Herman made it sound like the team had lost Jason Witten. But when you talk to teammates, it’s clear Beck’s toughness, blocking and leadership are seen as important elements of the offense’s attitude and personality this season. You cannot fake toughness, and Beck, a former linebacker, has the across-the-board respect of the best players on defense, including wild man Breckyn Hager.

So, I’m no longer selling the importance of Beck to the offense—I’m buying—although I still think Cade Brewer is the next David Thomas. And Reese Leitao’s behavior on and off the field (3.7 GPA) his redshirt freshman year, while on probation for selling Xanax at Tulsa Jenks High School, was stellar. The sense is Leitao is an emerging star at tight end.

You may be thinking: But, Chip, none of this skill position stuff means anything if the offensive line jumps out of the way like those fools running from the bulls in Pamplona, Spain (which has opening ceremonies July 5). The early word on Rice grad transfer Calvin Anderson, who is vying to replace All-American Connor Williamsat left tackle, is he has much better feet and technique than anyone UT was considering there this season (Denzel Okafor, Samuel Cosmi, etc.). So, barring unforeseen circumstances, go ahead and pencil Anderson into that left tackle role. Patrick Vahe has always been in the category of a better guy than a football player for me. But Herman swears Herb Hand is cleaning up Vahe’s technique and effectiveness. Let’s hope so. Otherwise, watching Vahe in pass protection at left guard one last season could be the definition of insanity.

Texas will have an answer at center—either Zach Shackelford or Derek Kerstetter—as well as at right guard—either Elijah Rodriguez, Tope Imade or maybe even dark horse Junior Angilau—as well as right tackle in Okafor, Cosmi or Kerstetter. Herman is all in on Hand and believes Hand’s ability to teach technique and details such as combination blocking will lead to success in the running game, which should then lead to success in the passing game. You got all that? (Chip Brown)

It was Only a Matter of Time

Got a text from a source close to the situation on Monday that read, “Jalen Green is the real deal.” If you thought Caden Sterns, B.J. Foster and Anthony Cook had good springs as early enrollee freshmen, then feel free to add freshman corner Jalen Green to the list of those not backing down from any challenge and making plays against veteran receivers. It was just a matter of time, in my opinion. Green has 2001 Miami Hurricane fluidity to his hips and ability to turn and run. He needs to develop physically for sure. Green may have the longest way to go in that department. But Green can turn and run, has great makeup speed and defends the ball in the air as if it’s personal. And that’s all you ask of any stud football player at Texas or anywhere else — take personal pride in what you’re doing. Make it matter. And, ultimately, do it for your teammates.

Green is a star in the making and is going to push for playing time as a true freshman. Mark my words on that one. Texas is trying to cement its claim as DBU. With guys like Sterns, Foster, Cook and Green coming on, Texas will be making its argument in the next couple years. (Chip Brown)

I clicked on this because I thought the facilities stuff might be a collectible data point. And then I don't see any facilities info. Did I miss it in my skimming of this turd pile of an article?

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I clicked on this because I thought the facilities stuff might be a collectible data point. And then I don't see any facilities info. Did I miss it in my skimming of this turd pile of an article?

I'm guessing that whatever ole Chipper had to say about facilities was not football-related, and therefore satyanash omitted it when posting here.

Please follow these simple and helpful instructions:

1. Do not re-post Chip Brown articles. 
2. Always use the term fuck when mentioning Chip Brown. Here is an example of how to structure the sentence: Fuck Chip Brown
3. If you see Chip Brown in a restaurant, say something mean to him. Here is suggested phrasing to use. "Are you Chip Brown? Fuck you."
4. If you see Chip Brown violating his court-order to stay more than 1,000 yards from a minor, contact a law enforcement officer. 
5. If you see accidentally stumble upon Chip Brown hawking his fictitious tripe on the radio, immediately boycott that station.

I hope that this is clear and that posters will no longer share his content.      

• Like 5

From IT:

One quick injury note from on-campus; Cade Brewer is coming along really well, and despite not being fully 100%, he’s expected to be ready come fall camp. An on-field duo of him and Andrew Beck would boost the tight end position immensely for the Horns in 2018.

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Counterpoint: now you know what a play action pass is. That is when you fake a handoff to suck the defense in.

In the college football interwebs business, a play action pass is when you make up some meaningless shit and suck somebody into paying you $9.95 a month for it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ousux said:

Lulz.