Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

IT team notes

Off-season ended with a bang today. 

You may have seen on Twitter the guys re-tested their squat maxes from the spring. What you don't know is they did this after the most brutal running in recent memory. The running was so intense many threw up and many couldn't finish. 

After that, off into the weekend, right? Wrong, time to compete.

The last thing you want to do after a running session like that is squat. The last thing you really want to do is max out. With that in mind, numbers were down from what they could have been, but they were still through the roof and the team showed great improvement from the spring. Recall, this team was already much stronger than previous incarnations.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 Longhorns eclipsed 600 or greater. If memory serves, the previous high in the spring was shared by Denzel Okafor and Jeffrey McCulloch at 635. This time 700 pounds was reached by Marqez Bimage. He had more in the tank but the coaches held him back.

Earlier in the week the team tested bench but it's impossible to know what maxes are because Yancy McKnight isn't going to sacrifice a real workout to max. Instead, after the players did their normal chest work they maxed out. Strongest in that regard is probably Ta'Quon Graham. 

If you're scoring at home, the two strongest on staple lifts appear to be 2017 signees.

The team also did power cleans earlier in the week with Breckyn Hager having the highest at around 390 or so. Tom Herman has previously said a very large amount of the team is well into the 300s. It's a hard lift that demonstrates explosiveness and if you're over 300 you're doing well.

My understanding is the team will have much of next week off before reporting for August camp on Thursday. This is a bit later than last year. The first practice will be held on Friday, August 3rd.

I've heard that while camp will be intense, Herman will pull back on the reins as the season nears. Last season the team was still going pretty hard heading into the first game.

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Squats and deadlifts are good measures or useful strength

I would say squats and power cleans.  PCs give you the "from the ground" strength of DL and couple it with requiring someone to pop their hips in a motion very similar to a football tackle.  Those are easily the two most important "football" lifts.

Just now, Lhorn said:

Damn, that looks like a shit load of weight.  

Regarding PJ Locke stat - he's not a CB, he's a safety and he was injured for several games last year right?  Seems like fake news but what do I know.

He was the nickel back. Best case scenario is he moves to safety to start the season because Josh Thompson wins that position battle.

The XII at the time was pound for pound the strongest league in America, and should have had both Oklahoma & Texas facing each other in a rematch for the national title..!

But you have to remember is that Colt didn’t make a impassioned speech after the Tech loss.
  • Like 1

That might be the dumbest of all takes.  I can see "how Texas can redshirt all of the their QBS and still have a chance to win every game." but we aint good enough to compete for a NC on our best day, much less do while rotating QBs to preserve their eligibility for another year.  

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

That might be the dumbest of all takes.  I can see "how Texas can redshirt all of the their QBS and still have a chance to win every game." but we aint good enough to compete for a NC on our best day, much less do while rotating QBs to preserve their eligibility for another year.  

You can’t be this dense...

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

This is a rip-off of the Alabama fan tweet 

I guess it makes more sense then.  Sorry Texas Troll.   I'm more than 24 hours behind on my Alabama fan tweets.  I'll try harder.

Edited by Lhorn

4 hours ago, Lhorn said:

It’s a joke