Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Given it's a party for a bunch of kids who can't drink (at least around the coaches), I'd say they've done what they can.

Agreed, while still running a clean and transparent program, in today's age, that is doubly commendable..!

9 hours ago, ousux said:
16 hours ago, kopp0e said:
That shot just about covers what's needed on a Saturday football bingefest...

No giant metal tub with a few cases of iced down Texas brews, and the pouring/mixing station must be elsehwere.

Agreed, (but we can't mention that in this situation involving athletes), I'm sure there was plenty of ice cold Dr Pepper & Gatorade for the athletes to stay hydrated with the meal...

247: Same message, different year: Why Texas will be better in 2018

Spoiler

FRISCO, Texas – “Our players believe that we are as close of a team as Texas has been in a long time.”

That was Tom Herman at the podium last week during Big 12 Media Days, his second appearance as Texas’ head coach at the event. Poll the Longhorns in attendance, and you’d get a similar answer: “I firmly agree,” said fifth-year tight end Andrew Beck. “(The coaches) really pushed us to form relationships. Everybody really enjoys being around each other. That’s never been the case in the locker room before.”

Except … it has been, at least according to Beck.

Here’s Beck in August of 2015, Year 2 of Charlie Strong’s run with the Longhorns:

“It’s absolutely a more together group. Unfortunately there were some cliques last year, but that’s just how it is. We’ve all gotten better and more comfortable with each other. … For us to be a good team we have to work together, and the coaches have been really good about that.”

When reminded of that quote, Beck relents a bit sheepishly.

“Yeah … I’m sure.”

Banalities are common in sports, and the yearly “this team is closer than ever” quote is a popular one. But at Texas, a program that’s 23-27 over the last four seasons, closeness is often used as reasoning for a potential return to prominence.

Here’s the thing the players won’t tell you – it’s not that simple. So when examining the Longhorns and their hopes of winning the Big 12 for the first time since 2009, one needs to take a multi-faceted approach. In that, one question matters above all: Why will Texas be better in 2018?

Beck does have an original answer for that one.

“I think there are a couple of things,” Beck said. “You could look at weight room numbers if that’s what you’re interested in. You can see the strength differences. You could see the growth of individual players coming off the bowl and coming off spring ball. You could talk about the team dynamic of which we’re closer.

“I think there’s more proof that it’s true now than in years past.”

6_8410490.jpg(Photo: Erich Schlegel, USA TODAY Sports)

Let’s take that piece by piece.

Herman, right before he trumpeted togetherness, listed off a bundle of numbers. He said 60 members of the program can vertical jump over 30 inches, 42 players can power clean over 300 pounds and 34 Longhorns can squat over 500 pounds. Those stats are merely mumbo jumbo on their own. With context, they do represent a shift.

Herman called his defensive linemen a “bunch of fat guys” during his first spring in Austin. By fall camp later that year, Herman said the team had increased its max squat an average of 70 pounds a person. The vertical jump number grew by an inch and a half. That meant Texas' players wore out less easily, could play longer. And the numbers picked up from there. Since spring of 2018, the Longhorns have seen a 14 players added to the 30-inch vertical jump category, two with the power clean and one in squat.

“It’s significantly different,” Beck said. “The numbers are night and day. However (strength) coach Yancy McKnight learned his magic, it really works. … Everything has a purpose and it translates. We don’t need to just run in circles for fun.”

What about on-field improvement?

There’s evidence despite a 7-6 2017 campaign. A quartet of those losses came by five points or fewer. Things weren’t so close the previous year. The Longhorns outscored opponents by five points during the 2016 season. That number jumped to 97 in Year 1 under Herman.

The offense stayed stagnant (283 total points), but the defense went from 94th to 41st in yards allowed per game.

When asked by a reporter when Texas would finally be good again, West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen said: “I thought Texas’ defense was pretty good last year.” (The Mountaineers scored a season-low 14 points against Texas, albeit with a backup QB).

The Longhorns added the nation’s No. 3 overall recruiting class this summer, and it returns the third-most production in the Big 12 behind only Kansas and Baylor. There were no major staff overhauls in the offseason (a yearly staple under Strong), and Herman sees the program in a better, more stable place overall.

“This was three straight years of losing,” Herman said. “That does not get flipped overnight. … I see as on schedule. I see us ahead of where we were last year.”

“I don’t think there’s anybody that’s watched Texas football over the last few years that can tell you we didn’t play harder, more physical and we didn’t play more cohesively and smarter. Right? We did that. Check. Now we’ve got to win. We’ve got to turn that into winning more ball games.”

And … back to chemistry.

Senior guard Patrick Vahe, like Beck, has touted his team’s togetherness year over year. The 2018 season isn’t any different in that regard. Vahe said the biggest difference this season is positional cliques have broken up. Vahe floated the river with the entire team on July 4. “If it was a walk-on, I’d even hang out with him,” Vahe insisted. “I’m dead serious.” Chemistry is tough to define even for those who tout it. Vahe said it boils down to trust. A team that spends more than the minimal hours required together inevitably begins to trust one another. He said Herman’s staff helped foster a sense of togetherness. But, as seen by Beck’s comments above, that idea isn’t new.

One day after Vahe made those comments, former Texas safety DeShon Elliott blasted the current staff on Twitter for bad-mouthing him behind the scenes.

Coaching changes come with their fair share of transitional difficulties, and winning over players is chief among them for a new staff. Talking to people familiar with the program last season, there was plenty of resistance in regards to Herman's way of doing things. Herman’s methods are meant to push a player to his extremes. You saw that early with an exodus of transfers prior to the season, and you saw it late as players (like Elliott) opted to skip the bowl game.

One need not look far for an example. Junior defensive end Breckyn Hager, sitting only 10 yards away from Herman during Big 12 Media Days, said he was a “s***head” for a long time last season. It took him until the Oklahoma State game on Oct. 27 to say more than merely acknowledge Herman when his coach spoke to him. Hager made a sack that afternoon, ran off the field and gave Herman a low-five – the pair’s first “in a while.” Hager paused in that moment and said, “Coach, I’m sorry.” When Herman asked, “What are you talking about?” Hager clarified: “I’m sorry for being such an a-hole.”

Hagar’s mid-game attitude shift is what Herman likes to call the difference between compliant and committed.

“It happens at different stages, different times,” Herman said. “He went from being compliant … to, ‘I’m going to freaking attack this thing.’”

Hager, a long-haired, philosophy-quoting, heart-on-his-sleeve player, will tell you exactly what he’s thinking. He hated playing for Herman at first. Then Hager adjusted, and, if one is to believe him, the roster is now 100 percent committed with him. Texas had only two transfers this offseason and no staff changes, proof the players are happy per Herman. That plays into chemistry, too. It’s not just players getting along with players. It’s players buying into what a coach is selling. In that Hager said the Longhorns aren’t comparable from Year 1 to 2.

“When everybody is on the same page and everybody loves each other and everyone loves their coach and everyone is doing what they do because they feel convicted to do it that’s when empires are built,” Hager said.

You can find shifts in other areas as well. In an attempt to finish games better, the Longhorns employ a tactic called “Plus Two.” That means if a drill is supposed to go 10 yards, the players run 12. Coaches call them back if they don’t. Players, according to Beck, make the call if the coaches aren’t watching.

When asked if the Longhorns had that mindset three years ago, Beck quietly said: “No.” It’s another sheepish comparison by the fifth-year senior. But perhaps it’s a sign that Texas could well be on its way to something different. On their own, the reasons for Texas’ potential improvement ring hallow. Players are taught to give positive answers, and nobody is going to tell you, “We’ll suck.” But this spin seems a bit different.

There's not even any spin at the top. When asked if Texas is close to winning a national title, Herman responded: “That’s not realistic considering where this program was.” That’s honest, and it’s a step in the right direction for a program long thrust into the annals of greatness before a season even begins.

So again, as posed to Beck, why will Texas be better in 2018? Hager, the self-proclaimed former a-hole, can see the plan in action.

“It’s like a giant family,” Hager said. “Everything stems back to love my man. When people start being fake and people just don’t get the mission and when they don’t respect greatness such as Coach Herman or (defensive coordinator Todd) Orlando …

“A great coach will build an empire. (Coach Herman is) checking off a lot of things.”

One thing is for sure: That’s far from a clichéd answer. Good luck finding a repeat in three years.

I actually like the article. They got (Andrew) Beck lol.

• Like 1

This is also a nice piece of perspective from Anwar Richardson of OB: Tom Herman's rebuild project at Texas is harder than you may think

Spoiler

Texas football fans gave their 7-6 record last season a polite golf clap.

Longhorn observers expected coach Tom Herman to turn around this program in year one. Herman was Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator in year one when Ohio State finished 12-0 in 2012. During Herman’s first season at Houston, he led the Cougars to a 13-1 record after the team finished 8-5 the previous year. Herman was expected to work that same first-year magic at Texas. In fact, Herman appeared very confident it could happen prior to last season.

Instead, Maryland happened. Then turnovers and defensive breakdowns against USC. Offensive struggles against Oklahoma State. Whenever the team took a step forward, like beating West Virginia, it took a step backwards, such as a surprising home loss against Texas Tech. Injuries affected Herman’s team last season, but there were other issues, such as a lack of execution, inconsistent quarterback performance, players were not unified, and offensive coordinator Tim Beck’s play-calling was questioned. Ironically, the head coach who was criticized for being too harsh on his guys was eventually bashed for praising his offensive line and receivers too much prior to the season. Longhorn fans were disappointed by last season’s record, but it is important to know one thing.

If Herman has Texas in contention for a conference championship this season, that feat would top some of the greatest turnarounds by legendary coaches.

Let us start with the low-hanging fruit.

Most people love to point out Nick Saban’s 7-6 record during his first season at Alabama in 2007. Nearly every college fan knows Saban led Alabama to a 12-2 record the following year. Since that seven-win season, Alabama has won 10-or-more games for the past 10 years. Saban has won four national championships at Alabama. Basically, Saban is the poster boy for the great things that can happen to a program in year two.

In addition to Saban, there are a few other coaches who have excelled in their second season.

- Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was 7-5 in 2001 and finished 14-0 the following year.

- Former Georgia coach Mark Richt was 8-4 in 2001 and finished 13-1 the following year.

- Former USC coach Pete Carrol was 6-6 in 2001 and finished 11-2 the following year.

- Former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was 7-5 in 1999 and finished 13-0 the following year.

- Former Florida coach Urban Meyer was 9-3 in 2006 and finished 13-1 the following year.

- Georgia coach Kirky Smart was 8-5 in 2017 and finished 13-2 last season.

On paper, it is easy to look at those coaches and say Herman should have Texas competing for a Big 12 championship this season (Meyer might be the exception). It is easy to argue that Herman does not need to be the second coming of Saban, but if he can duplicate Tressel or Richt’s success, the Longhorns could take off. Heck, Herman might read those numbers and be very encouraged before training camp begins in early August.

However, if you dig deeper, Herman inherited a program in worse shape than the majority of coaches I mentioned.

In fact, only one of the coaches I mentioned had it worse than Herman.
[IMG]
Photo via Getty Images

Instead of just looking at the jumps those football programs made in year two, I thought it was important to examine the three seasons prior to the coach stepping on campus for a fair comparison. Without turning this into a “Train A leaves the station traveling 60 miles at 30 miles per hour” math problem, let me simplify the numbers for you.

Texas was 16-21 during Charlie Strong's three-year tenure. The only coach who inherited a program with a worse three-year stretch prior to being hired was Bob Stoops. Oklahoma was 12-22 during the three years before hiring Stoops. Outside of Stoops, five of the seven coaches I highlighted took over teams that had won at least 22 combined games over a three-year period.

Before Kirby Smart
Georgia (coach) 

10-3 in 2015 (Bryan McClendon/Mark Richt)
10-3 in 2014 (Mark Richt)
8-5 in 2013 (Mark Richt)
Record: 28-11

Before Jim Tressel
Ohio State (former coach John Cooper)

8-4 in 2000
6-6 in 1999
11-1 in 1998
Record 25-11

Before Mark Richt
Georgia (former coach Jim Donnan)

8-4 in 2000
8-4 in 1999
9-3 in 1998
Record: 25-11

Before Urban Meyer
Florida (coach)

7-5 in 2004 (Ron Zook/Charlie Strong)
8-5 in 2003 (Ron Zook)
8-5 in 2002 (Ron Zook)
Record: 23-15

Before Nick Saban
Alabama (coach)

6-7 in 2006 (Mike Shula/Joe Kines)
10-2 in 2005 (Mike Shula)
6-6 in 2004 (Mike Shula)
Record: 22-15

Before Pete Carroll
USC (former coach Paul Hackett)

5-7 in 2000
6-6 in 1999
8-5 in 1998
Record: 19-18

Before Bob Stoops
Oklahoma (former coach John Blake)

5-6 in 1998
4-8 in 1997
3-8 in 1996
Record 12-22

When Herman talked about rebuilding the program last season, it was easy to be skeptical. Most Longhorn observers believed Texas would win at least eight games in Herman’s first year. Some dreamed a lot bigger. Finishing the regular season with a 6-6 record was disappointing. The bowl victory definitely helped fan morale, and that win could end up being the turning point in the new era under Herman.

Nevertheless, it is important to know Herman, based on a win-loss history, inherited more of a mess than most coaches who turned around their programs in year two.

All of that talk about teaching players how to win and changing the culture are not weak attempts to kick the can down the road.

Those are facts.

Herman has been cautious with his words this offseason. He is doing his best not to raise the hopes of his fan base again. Herman’s main focus is getting his team prepared for the regular season, improving relationships with his players, and avoiding last year’s disappointments.

However, Herman’s stated goal is to compete for championships at Texas – national and conference. That has not changed, and it will be interesting to see how Herman's team performs this season.

Just know if Herman has Texas in contention for a conference championship this season, it will be a momentous achievement for a coach who inherited a mess.

I'm sticking with my 9 win prediction (including the result of the bowl). Just seems like the most logical progression to me. 

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This is also a nice piece of perspective from Anwar Richardson of OB: Tom Herman's rebuild project at Texas is harder than you may think

Reveal hidden contents

Texas football fans gave their 7-6 record last season a polite golf clap.

Longhorn observers expected coach Tom Herman to turn around this program in year one. Herman was Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator in year one when Ohio State finished 12-0 in 2012. During Herman’s first season at Houston, he led the Cougars to a 13-1 record after the team finished 8-5 the previous year. Herman was expected to work that same first-year magic at Texas. In fact, Herman appeared very confident it could happen prior to last season.

Instead, Maryland happened. Then turnovers and defensive breakdowns against USC. Offensive struggles against Oklahoma State. Whenever the team took a step forward, like beating West Virginia, it took a step backwards, such as a surprising home loss against Texas Tech. Injuries affected Herman’s team last season, but there were other issues, such as a lack of execution, inconsistent quarterback performance, players were not unified, and offensive coordinator Tim Beck’s play-calling was questioned. Ironically, the head coach who was criticized for being too harsh on his guys was eventually bashed for praising his offensive line and receivers too much prior to the season. Longhorn fans were disappointed by last season’s record, but it is important to know one thing.

If Herman has Texas in contention for a conference championship this season, that feat would top some of the greatest turnarounds by legendary coaches.

Let us start with the low-hanging fruit.

Most people love to point out Nick Saban’s 7-6 record during his first season at Alabama in 2007. Nearly every college fan knows Saban led Alabama to a 12-2 record the following year. Since that seven-win season, Alabama has won 10-or-more games for the past 10 years. Saban has won four national championships at Alabama. Basically, Saban is the poster boy for the great things that can happen to a program in year two.

In addition to Saban, there are a few other coaches who have excelled in their second season.

- Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was 7-5 in 2001 and finished 14-0 the following year.

- Former Georgia coach Mark Richt was 8-4 in 2001 and finished 13-1 the following year.

- Former USC coach Pete Carrol was 6-6 in 2001 and finished 11-2 the following year.

- Former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was 7-5 in 1999 and finished 13-0 the following year.

- Former Florida coach Urban Meyer was 9-3 in 2006 and finished 13-1 the following year.

- Georgia coach Kirky Smart was 8-5 in 2017 and finished 13-2 last season.

On paper, it is easy to look at those coaches and say Herman should have Texas competing for a Big 12 championship this season (Meyer might be the exception). It is easy to argue that Herman does not need to be the second coming of Saban, but if he can duplicate Tressel or Richt’s success, the Longhorns could take off. Heck, Herman might read those numbers and be very encouraged before training camp begins in early August.

However, if you dig deeper, Herman inherited a program in worse shape than the majority of coaches I mentioned.

In fact, only one of the coaches I mentioned had it worse than Herman.
[IMG]
Photo via Getty Images

Instead of just looking at the jumps those football programs made in year two, I thought it was important to examine the three seasons prior to the coach stepping on campus for a fair comparison. Without turning this into a “Train A leaves the station traveling 60 miles at 30 miles per hour” math problem, let me simplify the numbers for you.

Texas was 16-21 during Charlie Strong's three-year tenure. The only coach who inherited a program with a worse three-year stretch prior to being hired was Bob Stoops. Oklahoma was 12-22 during the three years before hiring Stoops. Outside of Stoops, five of the seven coaches I highlighted took over teams that had won at least 22 combined games over a three-year period.

Before Kirby Smart
Georgia (coach) 

10-3 in 2015 (Bryan McClendon/Mark Richt)
10-3 in 2014 (Mark Richt)
8-5 in 2013 (Mark Richt)
Record: 28-11

Before Jim Tressel
Ohio State (former coach John Cooper)

8-4 in 2000
6-6 in 1999
11-1 in 1998
Record 25-11

Before Mark Richt
Georgia (former coach Jim Donnan)

8-4 in 2000
8-4 in 1999
9-3 in 1998
Record: 25-11

Before Urban Meyer
Florida (coach)

7-5 in 2004 (Ron Zook/Charlie Strong)
8-5 in 2003 (Ron Zook)
8-5 in 2002 (Ron Zook)
Record: 23-15

Before Nick Saban
Alabama (coach)

6-7 in 2006 (Mike Shula/Joe Kines)
10-2 in 2005 (Mike Shula)
6-6 in 2004 (Mike Shula)
Record: 22-15

Before Pete Carroll
USC (former coach Paul Hackett)

5-7 in 2000
6-6 in 1999
8-5 in 1998
Record: 19-18

Before Bob Stoops
Oklahoma (former coach John Blake)

5-6 in 1998
4-8 in 1997
3-8 in 1996
Record 12-22

When Herman talked about rebuilding the program last season, it was easy to be skeptical. Most Longhorn observers believed Texas would win at least eight games in Herman’s first year. Some dreamed a lot bigger. Finishing the regular season with a 6-6 record was disappointing. The bowl victory definitely helped fan morale, and that win could end up being the turning point in the new era under Herman.

Nevertheless, it is important to know Herman, based on a win-loss history, inherited more of a mess than most coaches who turned around their programs in year two.

All of that talk about teaching players how to win and changing the culture are not weak attempts to kick the can down the road.

Those are facts.

Herman has been cautious with his words this offseason. He is doing his best not to raise the hopes of his fan base again. Herman’s main focus is getting his team prepared for the regular season, improving relationships with his players, and avoiding last year’s disappointments.

However, Herman’s stated goal is to compete for championships at Texas – national and conference. That has not changed, and it will be interesting to see how Herman's team performs this season.

Just know if Herman has Texas in contention for a conference championship this season, it will be a momentous achievement for a coach who inherited a mess.

I'm sticking with my 9 win prediction (including the result of the bowl). Just seems like the most logical progression to me. 

man, i'm so gunshy right now.  i bet you i predicted 9 wins for the past 10 years going into the season.  there's always a reason for optimism but then we shit the bed.   

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

man, i'm so gunshy right now.  i bet you i predicted 9 wins for the past 10 years going into the season.  there's always a reason for optimism but then we shit the bed.   

Being optimistic is more fun than being pessimistic and we'll all be equally disappointed if we fuck up against UMD anyway. At least that's how I think.

We were a handful of plays, against ranked teams I might add, from winning 10 games last year.
I predict we win some of those types of games this season and have 10 wins before the bowl game. 
That's the spirit, grab that solo cup and fill er up again..

TFB team notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-tuesday-july-24th/

Sourced Team Update | Collin Johnson
– Super K

Last week, junior wide receiver, Collin Johnson was named to the Biletnikoff Award preseason watch list. The award is presented annually to the outstanding receiver in American college football.

Johnson is someone I first saw when he was a sophomore out in California. He was bigger and faster than the other kids but you still felt like he didn’t quite know it himself.

There’s never been much doubt about his gifts and yet, there were games last season, where he found himself unseated from his starting position.

One thing about this staff is, no one is above competition. Every player is equal before the law. And at the time, Johnson simply wasn’t consistent, competitive or as physical as they expected him to be.

But has another spring and summer changed that? I give you exhibit “A”…

Here is what sources had to say about Johnson’s development this off-season.

***Source said he’s definitely improved in terms of his consistency in winning match-ups and effort.

***Source said that you can see improved effort and physical development with a much-expanded catch radius.

***Source said Johnson still has to develop a “mean streak” and dominating attitude. Again, he needs to know that he’s the biggest baddest dude on the field and act like it.

***Source added, if he comes out and plays every game like last year’s USC game, “he’ll blossom”

Sourced Team Quick-Hitters | Gary Johnson & Kris Boyd
– Super K

With Kris Boyd and Gary Johnson being listed on some preseason awards watch lists, I figured it’d be a good idea to pass along some behind the scenes nuggets on how the two are doing/improving.

***Gary Johnson is a leader. He’s always had the qualities but being new last year and having guys like Malik ahead of him, it limits how much of a leadership role you can take. But Gary’s a guy who takes the young guys under his wings and he’s going to help the staff recruit as well.

***”Everybody loves Gary”

***On his inclusion on the Butkus Award preseason watch list, “He’ll be a finalist for it”. A lot of confidence behind the scenes in what Gary can do, especially in his second year in Orlando’s defense.

***While Johnson plays Rover in the base defense, I’m told he’s been taking some reps at the Joker position when they bring more DBs on the field. Makes sense if you want to keep the option of bringing effective pressure on the field without losing much in terms of a cover guy.

***”Kris Boyd has improved a lot, I mean a lot a lot”.

***How so? “He’s always been good but the little things in terms of technique and alignment caused him problems”.

***This offseason coach Washington has spent extra time helping Kris with his technique and alignment and I’m told (and one could see it on the field) that ultimately those were the things keeping Kris from being as good as he can be. I’m told he’s cleaned those things up and the staff is expecting him to have a big year.

4 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

If Boyd can be consistent and not give up any blown coverage TD's, this defense could be nasty from the very beginning of the season. 

Meh pass defense is not as concerning as run is to me. The starters are good but we're light in proven depth at DT and LB. 

The record this season all depends on offense.*shocker* I predicted 7 wins on the pre spring thread and can't stray away from it. Maybe tex is right and it's just being pessimistic but the last 9 seasons will do that to you.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB team notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-tuesday-july-24th/

Hide contents

Sourced Team Update | Collin Johnson
– Super K

Last week, junior wide receiver, Collin Johnson was named to the Biletnikoff Award preseason watch list. The award is presented annually to the outstanding receiver in American college football.

Johnson is someone I first saw when he was a sophomore out in California. He was bigger and faster than the other kids but you still felt like he didn’t quite know it himself.

There’s never been much doubt about his gifts and yet, there were games last season, where he found himself unseated from his starting position.

One thing about this staff is, no one is above competition. Every player is equal before the law. And at the time, Johnson simply wasn’t consistent, competitive or as physical as they expected him to be.

But has another spring and summer changed that? I give you exhibit “A”…

Here is what sources had to say about Johnson’s development this off-season.

***Source said he’s definitely improved in terms of his consistency in winning match-ups and effort.

***Source said that you can see improved effort and physical development with a much-expanded catch radius.

***Source said Johnson still has to develop a “mean streak” and dominating attitude. Again, he needs to know that he’s the biggest baddest dude on the field and act like it.

***Source added, if he comes out and plays every game like last year’s USC game, “he’ll blossom”

Sourced Team Quick-Hitters | Gary Johnson & Kris Boyd
– Super K

With Kris Boyd and Gary Johnson being listed on some preseason awards watch lists, I figured it’d be a good idea to pass along some behind the scenes nuggets on how the two are doing/improving.

***Gary Johnson is a leader. He’s always had the qualities but being new last year and having guys like Malik ahead of him, it limits how much of a leadership role you can take. But Gary’s a guy who takes the young guys under his wings and he’s going to help the staff recruit as well.

***”Everybody loves Gary”

***On his inclusion on the Butkus Award preseason watch list, “He’ll be a finalist for it”. A lot of confidence behind the scenes in what Gary can do, especially in his second year in Orlando’s defense.

***While Johnson plays Rover in the base defense, I’m told he’s been taking some reps at the Joker position when they bring more DBs on the field. Makes sense if you want to keep the option of bringing effective pressure on the field without losing much in terms of a cover guy.

***”Kris Boyd has improved a lot, I mean a lot a lot”.

***How so? “He’s always been good but the little things in terms of technique and alignment caused him problems”.

***This offseason coach Washington has spent extra time helping Kris with his technique and alignment and I’m told (and one could see it on the field) that ultimately those were the things keeping Kris from being as good as he can be. I’m told he’s cleaned those things up and the staff is expecting him to have a big year.

Dude, I don't care how high-proof this Kool-Aid is, just throw that jigger away and pour 'til I tell you to stop.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Boz was so big when he played...

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Steroids were definitely NOT a factor there.

I'm not sure whether the steroids made him taller as well, but if they did, then that would explain it.

So many players inflate their sizes, but when you see a QB stand next to a once-imposing LB and the QB towers over him, it reminds you that smaller LBs and DBs must have been shitting bricks when Vince broke into the open field. VY was Giraffe-meets-Gazelle and the defenders must have thought "This is fucking bullshit!"

44 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Meh pass defense is not as concerning as run is to me. The starters are good but we're light in proven depth at DT and LB. 

Run defense doesn't scare me at all. Orlando has been great at stopping the run for years now. 

Texas finished 5th in team rushing defense in '17, Houston finished 2nd in '16, Houston finished 19th in '15, Utah State finished 31st in '14, Utah State finished 10th in '13. The rushing S&P adjusted stats are also very good. 

Orlando knows how to stop the run. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Run defense doesn't scare me at all. Orlando has been great at stopping the run for years now. 

Texas finished 5th in team rushing defense in '17, Houston finished 2nd in '16, Houston finished 19th in '15, Utah State finished 31st in '14, Utah State finished 10th in '13. The rushing S&P adjusted stats are also very good. 

Maybe but we've got a front loaded schedule again this season with teams known for being physical, run first offenses combined with the personnel I outlined above. Not saying it will be the case that we get run all over. Just that i've got more faith going into this season of defending the pass than the run.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Fully agree. The way he does it opened us up to some one on one with Boyd last year that was taken advantage by some great QB/WR combos.  If Boyd has taken that next step, with the loss of most of these QB/WR tandems he will be in for a huge year both as a true shutdown corner as well as one that will be able to take advantage of some new QBs from a bunch of takeaways.  Things are aligning, just need some early momentum for everyone to get on board.

25 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Fully agree. The way he does it opened us up to some one on one with Boyd last year that was taken advantage by some great QB/WR combos.  If Boyd has taken that next step, with the loss of most of these QB/WR tandems he will be in for a huge year both as a true shutdown corner as well as one that will be able to take advantage of some new QBs from a bunch of takeaways.  Things are aligning, just need some early momentum for everyone to get on board.

Gimmie two fingers of that Kool Aid---in a number 2 washtub.

53 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Family Orientation? WTF? Are we starting a PTA next year too?

My parents describing Ole Miss parents' orientation dropping off my brother:

Chancellor: "Who's children picked Ole Miss because of academics?" - a couple hands go up -

"Who picked it because of scholarship options?" - a couple other hands rise -

"Who picked it because of campus life and social factors" -whole room raises their hands -

"Yeah, we know. But we have classes too!"

Definitely a cultural moment.

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

My parents describing Ole Miss parents' orientation dropping off my brother:

Chancellor: "Who's children picked Ole Miss because of academics?" - a couple hands go up -

"Who picked it because of scholarship options?" - a couple other hands rise -

"Who picked it because of campus life and social factors" -whole room raises their hands -

"Yeah, we know. But we have classes too!"

Definitely a cultural moment.

I wonder how those parents who raised their hands for the first question, likely excited because Ole Miss was the best academic program their kids could get into. Only to find out almost everyone else was sending their kids there to party and get their Mrs. degrees.