Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

I still think Jamison will end up back at nickel by the season. 

I don't know that he'll be able to beat out LJH or Heard for playing time, unless he's really outstanding, in which case I'm all for keeping him there. Long term we have a bunch of guys that can play slot coming in 19. Probably just want him to know some of the offense for emergency spot duty or depth in case of injury. 

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't know that he'll be able to beat out LJH or Heard for playing time, unless he's really outstanding, in which case I'm all for keeping him there. Long term we have a bunch of guys that can play slot coming in 19. Probably just want him to know some of the offense for emergency spot duty or depth in case of injury. 

I'm not sure I agree.  First, I'm not sure we have anybody on campus or incoming that matches his skillset--the prototypical Big XII waterbug receiver.  Jake Smith projects to H wr in Herman's offense, but in a different way than Jamison.

Further, with the way we've been recruiting at safety (Adimora already in the fold, with the potential to also bring in Catalon, Cine, and (a longer shot) Pola-Gates), I don't think the staff will feel pressed to get Jamison back on the other side of the ball.

• Like 1

Random team note / fluff from IT:

The squad has been racing at the end of the voluntary workouts. I'm hearing the fastest football player in the Texas program, on average, is senior Kris Boyd.

John Burt and D'Shawn Jamison have a few wins, and Devin Duvernay also gives guys a challenge. Jamison or Davion Curtis might be the quickest.

• Like 3

Not that is makes a shit, but 247 did a feature on the 20 top returning players in the Big 12 and there wasn't a single Horn among them.

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/The-top-20-returning-players-in-the-Big-12-for-the-2018-college-football-season-119784241/#119784241_21

Hope these dudes come out with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Not that is makes a shit, but 247 did a feature on the 20 top returning players in the Big 12 and there wasn't a single Horn among them.

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/The-top-20-returning-players-in-the-Big-12-for-the-2018-college-football-season-119784241/#119784241_21

Gary Johnson's gonna go to the 247 offices and start Terry Tate-ing some dudes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From Joe Cook:

Media Days provides the media the first chance to look at the media guide for the upcoming season. After the scholarship players, Texas lists the walk-ons without much fanfare. They only have a picture, their name, measurables, and home towns.

Here are the newest names on the list (in their first year in the Texas program) along with their HS film.

#96 Tristan Bennett, DL-Soph., 6-3 240, Irving (TX) Ranchview: (no film found)
#46 Luke Brockermeyer, LB-FR, 6-3 215, Fort Worth (TX) All Saints Episcopal: Youtube
#79 Matt Frost, OL-FR, 6-3 265, Folsom (CA): Hudl
#52 Jackson Hanna, LB-FR, 6-2 215, Houston (TX) St. Thomas: Junior Hudl
#54 Justin Mader, DS-FR, 6-4 225, Magnolia (TX): Hudl
#18 Tremayne Prudehomme, QB-FR, 6-1 185, Houston (TX) Aldine Davis: Hudl
#23 Jarrett Smith, RB-FR, 5-7 195, Webster (TX) Clear Brook: Hudl
#23 Turner Symonds, DB-FR, 6-0 175, Fort Worth (TX) Country Day: Hudl
#62 Jeremy Thompson-Sevon, DL/OL-FR, 6-2 240, Lewisville (TX) Hebron: Hudl 
#63 Troy Torres, DL-FR, 5-11 290, El Paso (TX) Bowie: Hudl
#15 Travis West, WR-FR, 6-0 175, Dallas (TX) Wilson: Junior Hudl 
#36 Kamari Williams, RB-FR, 5-9 175, Conroe (TX) Oak Ridge: Hudl

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The great Numbers Discrepancy Controversy of the 2018 offseason. Hard hitting journalism, folks.

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of fans on social media and other boards who get their panties in a twist about this shit.

Looks like weight numbers (and maybe heights) have been updated on the roster page from the official website. https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?roster=296&path=football

Some interesting numbers:

Dele checks in at 250

Angilau checks in at 300

Bimage up to 255 (from 245)

Buechele up to 210 (from 205)

Carson checks in at 300

Coburn checks in at 330

Cosmi up to 295 (from 285)

Ehlinger up to 235 (from 230)

Foster checks in at 210

Hager up to 255 (from 245)

Tope Imade up to 330 (from 315)

Ingram checks in at 205

Gary Johnson up to 230 (from 220)

Christian Jones checks in at 305(!)

Kerstetter up to 305! (from 285)

Reese Moore checks in at 295

Ojomo checks in at 285

Ossai checks in at 245

Overshown checks in at 210

Pouncey up to 205 (from 195)

Rising checks in at 230

Sterns checks in at 205

Casey Thompson checks in at 190

Urquidez up to 295 (from 280)

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of fans on social media and other boards who get their panties in a twist about this shit.

"One is precisely as big as what he loves and precisely as small as what he allows to annoy him.

--Robert Anton Wilson

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Looks like weight numbers (and maybe heights) have been updated on the roster page from the official website. https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?roster=296&path=football

Some interesting numbers:

Dele checks in at 250

Angilau checks in at 300

Bimage up to 255 (from 245)

Buechele up to 210 (from 205)

Carson checks in at 300

Coburn checks in at 330

Cosmi up to 295 (from 285)

Ehlinger up to 235 (from 230)

Foster checks in at 210

Hager up to 255 (from 245)

Tope Imade up to 330 (from 315)

Ingram checks in at 205

Gary Johnson up to 230 (from 220)

Christian Jones checks in at 305(!)

Kerstetter up to 305! (from 285)

Reese Moore checks in at 295

Ojomo checks in at 285

Ossai checks in at 245

Overshown checks in at 210

Pouncey up to 205 (from 195)

Rising checks in at 230

Sterns checks in at 205

Casey Thompson checks in at 190

Urquidez up to 295 (from 280)

Forgot to add one of the largest gains on the roster: Cade Brewer is up to 250 (from 230).

Edited by Machinator

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Guess D'Shawn's got different ideas than I do. Hope he tears it up. Would definitely be beneficial to have a fast quick guy in the slot at times. 

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I was just reading that and was surprised to say the least. Kansas state and Iowa state must have some playmakers.