Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Your Texas Tech Red Raiders! BIG XII! BIG XII! BIG XII!

https://hd.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/8cxn8d/fulmer_cup_standings_april_2018/

giphy.gif

the guy who runs this site doesn't seem very bright

"It's been a relatively quiet offseason, with only 18 offenses so far, in contrast with 79 by this time last year (nearly have of which were in the Louisiana theft or Alcorn State food fight)."

Grier is pretty widely projected to be one of the best QBs with one of the best WR corp in the nation. Projections are often wrong, but projections are what create the preseason polls. 

It’d be a shame if Grier got Brandon Jones’d again this year.

IT team notes

TEAM

Effort levels in the weight room have impressed the staff thus far. The freshmen are still having some struggles, but to be expected they’re busting ass and improving incrementally. At least for the most part.

I asked about a number of freshmen who arrived in June. Surprisingly I mostly heard about one position group, the defensive line.

We’d already heard about Jospeh Ossai coming in ready, but now we’re hearing positives on Keondre Coburn, Mike Williams, and Moro Ojomo. This is a very positive sign.

Coburn had some struggles upon arrival but this source made sure to give him props for his effort level. Ojomo’s movement skills were praised, “he’s going to play.” The most glowing was reserved for Mike Williams. The sourced used expletives to emphasize both his movement skills and strength. It’s important to remember the pads haven’t come on but you have to walk before you can run and these guys are power-walking like Scipio down a San Francisco slope after Indian food.

With these guys sounding ready to play early I asked how the d-line depth looks overall. I heard back the first team is set, though Graham and Wilbon could both be considered first team in a four man front. Graham is still working at both d-end and tackle. Second team is wide open, though, as of now the third pure defensive end is Marqez Bimage. He’s expected to be more than just a spot contributor.

The source said the same goes for the offensive line. Elijah Rodriguez will open camp at right guard which is really the only intrigue. Second team is a crapshoot. 

We won’t have clarity on exact depth and rotations until August and the actual depth might not shake out until September at some positions.

Last night in a thread I posted that freshman D’shawn Jamison is working solely at slot receiver. He has elite quickness for the position. He was/is a sensational defensive back but with Hemphill-Mapps departing they wanted to add some explosiveness to the position. 

We continue to hear good things about Devin Duvernay. It sounds like Spring was more than a fling with him.

I asked about DeMarvion Overshown. He’s been working at both boundary and field safety. It’s all mental for him at this point. On a written test he could answer what he’s supposed to do but reacting is a different matter. We still expect him to play a lot. Perhaps when the pads come on he’ll work at Joker but that isn’t the case yet.

Another I asked about is Montrell Estell. He isn’t participating in 7 on 7 so maybe he had a setback. We’ll check further. I’m mostly curious if they play him at defensive back or receiver. It can’t be emphasized enough how much the staff loves Caden Sterns and BJ Foster at safety so that could open them up to moving him.

With the defensive line and secondary appearing to be very deep, I asked about linebacker, specifically Ayodele Adeoye. “Delly” isn’t great in coverage but he’s about as good as they expected him to be. Obviously his game is coming downhill versus the run. He’ll play this year. 

They are continuing to cross-train linebackers and tinkering with them in many different spots in many different looks.

The team continues to prepare for Maryland. And nobody else.

1 hour ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

Also, has the Aggy rollercoaster ever been on this high of a peak prior to a game? The near certain tears and infighting will be a delight to watch.

No way.  They never handed out a 'year to be named later' national title 20XX trophy before.  Or spent the largest contract ever given to a college football coach in history before.  

Last. Ditch. Effort. Future. Mortgaged.

Last night in a thread I posted that freshman D’shawn Jamison is working solely at slot receiver. He has elite quickness for the position. He was/is a sensational defensive back but with Hemphill-Mapps departing they wanted to add some explosiveness to the position. 

Huh, didn't expect that. Would have thought you'd want him shadowing Josh Thompson from the jump.

man its amazing and frustrating the way WV, OKstate, Baylor etc keep churning out quality QB's and we have been struggling since Colt left. i'm thinking that streak ends with cam rising...
The teams you named have had better OL and aren't relying on every true freshman QB that shows up...

I've been saying it for years now, it isn't the system, it's the lack of players running the system.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

Christian Jones is the guy featured in the video

WTF is going on here.  That kid was healthy, in the prime of his life just weeks ago?!  When is Pancho Negro going to expose that "deranged, white, racist S&C coach Yancy McKnight" is crippling these young health black men?!  I saw Cameron Dicker walking around without a care in the world so what does that tell you?

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

Coburn had some struggles upon arrival but this source made sure to give him props for his effort level. Ojomo’s movement skills were praised, “he’s going to play.” The most glowing was reserved for Mike Williams. The sourced used expletives to emphasize both his movement skills and strength. It’s important to remember the pads haven’t come on but you have to walk before you can run and these guys are power-walking like Scipio down a San Francisco slope after Indian food.

That kind of clenching can’t be good for top end speed. 

Edited by Vertigo