Florida Gators

Zeus

9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Florida schedules a cupcake, just like we play Rice..

Florida plays Georgia, LSU, and Florida State OOC every year, so don't act like they are aggy trying to dodge everything and push all their chips on the Bama game every year.

Lots of reasons to make fun of Florida, scheduling is not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Zeus said:

Florida schedules a cupcake, just like we play Rice..

Florida plays Georgia, LSU, and Florida State OOC every year, so don't act like they are aggy trying to dodge everything and push all their chips on the Bama game every year.

That, and this is how aggy manages to dodge their schedule. 

pepper%20Spray.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What happened to the $13mill guy??

He ended up at Arizona State.

I don't think we'll ever know what fully happened but as far as I know, he signed a deal with Miami, but then his people took that deal to a UF booster to see if it could be bettered. In the end, they came to the UF collective with the "deal" already in place and funded and he flipped to Florida about a month before signing day.

But then it started to fall apart. Some of the NIL was straight up against NCAA rules and possibly illegal in Florida.

There were rumors that Miami had already given him money and now UF was expected to pay Miami on top of the deal as well as some unlisted legal fees that were being added to the top.

But the contract also apparently gave UF the right to end the deal at any time without penalty.

The deal couldn't be salvaged and the booster that had agreed to the deal walked; the Gator Collective that was the one that agreed to the bad deal was acquired by a different Gator Collective.

There were some rumors that Ruiz in Miami knew it was a bad deal and did it anyway to poison the well if someone else got him. Of course, if you follow Ruiz, there's a decent chance that all of his contracts questionably legal and funded. His company is about to be delisted from NASDAQ for fraud.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t see you guys being bowl eligible unless Napier really is a wizard. What are your thoughts on y’all’s season?

This season will be rough.

There are really only 3 games that should definitely be lockdowns for wins. We need to go .500 with the 6 "home game/road toss up" group to get to 6 wins.

Our strength is our running game but if Mertz can't effectively get the ball out there to the receivers, then everyone will just stack the box. No idea if he can do it.

Napier is bringing the talent but the schedule will make it tough to show any true gains in the win/loss column. Give him FSU's schedule (sans UF) and I can put 6 games in the "Better be/should be category" and another three toss ups.

But that's the truth of it. It won't get any easier in 2024 so we'll just have to judge him against that curve.

Better be wins:

McNeese

Charlotte

Should be wins:

Vanderbilt

We've got a fair shot because they are at home:

Arkansas

Tennessee

FSU

Should be toss ups but they are on the road:

@ Kentucky

@ Mizzou

@ South Carolina

Tough road games, much more than likely a loss:

@ LSU

@ Utah

Almost assuredly a loss:

vs. Georgia

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That’s what that graphic is stating. 

I don’t see you guys being bowl eligible unless Napier really is a wizard. What are your thoughts on y’all’s season?

7-5

Going to be some close wins though. Actually going to have to play defense and run the ball. 

image.png.453543c3fa4cacb92a7adc516487f185.png

55 minutes ago, Zeus said:

7-5

Going to be some close wins though. Actually going to have to play defense and run the ball. 

Ooh... I could see exactly how that would play out.

1. Unreasonable expectations after beating Utah; Maybe sneaking into the 20s in the polls; not as high as last year.
  2. A little return to Earth after losing to Tennessee; fall out of polls
  3. If the UTn game is close, then they'd probably inch their way up to 15-20 ranking at 6-1 heading into the Cocktail with unreasonable hype by CBS to make the game look bigger than it will be.
  4. Double digit loss to UGA drops them to the edge of the rankings.
  5. Close loss to Arkansas at home bring a bunch of "hangover from UGA/UGA broke them articles"
  6. Loss to LSU expected. Probably depends on how bad it is.
  7. A win on the road @ Mizzou shows signs of some improvement
  8. Disappointing loss to FSU at the end that most people had convinced ourselves that we'd win.
  9. Probably a loss in the Gasparilla Bowl to some middle of the road ACC team where a couple key skill position players sit out in prep for the draft.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Ooh... I could see exactly how that would play out.

1. Unreasonable expectations after beating Utah; Maybe sneaking into the 20s in the polls; not as high as last year.
  2. A little return to Earth after losing to Tennessee; fall out of polls
  3. If the UTn game is close, then they'd probably inch their way up to 15-20 ranking at 6-1 heading into the Cocktail with unreasonable hype by CBS to make the game look bigger than it will be.
  4. Double digit loss to UGA drops them to the edge of the rankings.
  5. Close loss to Arkansas at home bring a bunch of "hangover from UGA/UGA broke them articles"
  6. Loss to LSU expected. Probably depends on how bad it is.
  7. A win on the road @ Mizzou shows signs of some improvement
  8. Disappointing loss to FSU at the end that most people had convinced ourselves that we'd win.
  9. Probably a loss in the Gasparilla Bowl to some middle of the road ACC team where a couple key skill position players sit out in prep for the draft.

I generally agree but I'm not going to the LSU game this year so we have a chance there!

Also, I think we win the (shitty) bowl because we wont have tons of talent missing. That game a couple years ago with all the starting receivers & TE missing was crazy, I don't think Napier has that happen to us.  

Also, look at all those night games to start the season!

Edited by Zeus

If Rising is healthy, just can't see gata winning at Utah...

Utah quarterback Cam Rising says he’s ‘planning’ on starting Week 1 vs. Florida

Story by Aaron Falk • Tuesday

The biggest names in Pac-12 football will be in Las Vegas this week for the conference’s media day — and there will be plenty of questions to answer.

When will commissioner George Kliavkoff have a new media deal in place? Can the Pac-12 get back to 12 teams?

How about this one for Utah football fans: Will Cam Rising be ready to start for the Utes when the Florida Gators come to Salt Lake City on Aug. 31?

Rising is scheduled to be one of Utah’s representatives in Vegas and will have the chance to answer questions about his repaired anterior cruciate ligament. But the senior quarterback said recently he expects to be ready for Week 1.

“Yeah, so that’s what I’m planning on doing and everything, rehab, is going going accordingly,” Rising told ESPN 700 host Bill Riley recently. “Just got to keep it going. Everything is going well there.”

Rising said he’s been “rehabbing like crazy” and that his doctors have said “everything’s looking good.”

The 24-year-old Rising said he expected to know more by the time he touched down in Vegas, though.

“I’m actually gonna do a little test on my knee [this] week and that’ll help me know a lot more where I’m at,” the quarterback told ESPN 700. “I’m looking forward to that but everything right now is where it needs to be.”

Rising threw for 3,034 yards and 26 touchdowns last season to lead the Utes to a second-straight Pac-12 championship. After tearing his ACL during the team’s Rose Bowl defeat to Penn State in January, the QB’s health will be paramount in the Utes’ hopes to win a third straight conference title.

“I think we have to have the same mentality that we did last year,” Rising said. “We are not the hunted, we are the hunters. We got to go out there and get it. This trophy is not ours just because we won the last two.”

image.png

3 hours ago, gatormarc said:

This season will be rough.

There are really only 3 games that should definitely be lockdowns for wins. We need to go .500 with the 6 "home game/road toss up" group to get to 6 wins.

Our strength is our running game but if Mertz can't effectively get the ball out there to the receivers, then everyone will just stack the box. No idea if he can do it.

Napier is bringing the talent but the schedule will make it tough to show any true gains in the win/loss column. Give him FSU's schedule (sans UF) and I can put 6 games in the "Better be/should be category" and another three toss ups.

But that's the truth of it. It won't get any easier in 2024 so we'll just have to judge him against that curve.

Better be wins:

McNeese

Charlotte

Should be wins:

Vanderbilt

We've got a fair shot because they are at home:

Arkansas

Tennessee

FSU

Should be toss ups but they are on the road:

@ Kentucky

@ Mizzou

@ South Carolina

Tough road games, much more than likely a loss:

@ LSU

@ Utah

Almost assuredly a loss:

vs. Georgia

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

7-5

After I said that I didn't see y'all making a bowl game, I went back and thought more about the schedule. There's a lot of swing to it, really. I could see anything from 5-7 to 9-3.

-@Utah: L. It's hard to fathom UF beating Utah at Utah, especially if Rising can play. They're tough at home and that's a strange trip for UF. 

-McNees: W.

-Tenn: ?. I think Tennessee 2023 is Texas 2019. They've gotten a lot of love from everyone, but they have holes on the roster. Milton does nothing for me. He has no touch and his accuracy is trash. He's flamed out twice already. Is Virginia really going to test them? I can UF being amped to pull this one off at home, but there's also Mertz.

-Charlotte: W.

-@UK: ?. How confident are you guys in your front 7? UK's OL sucked last year and could suck again. Leary is pretty damned good and Stoops is a good coach, but you guys are ... due against UK? But also, there's Mertz.

-Vanderbilt: W.

-@South Carolina: ?. South Carolina lost a lot and I don't trust Beamer as the main guy. Rattler needs to vibe with the OC and that's an unknown. It's South Carolina. If you guys have the talent you think you have, shouldn't you win this game?

-Georgia: L.

-Arkansas: ?. Can your front 7 force Jefferson to throw? Can UF handle the RPO work with KJ and Sanders? Arkansas might be undervalued this year, or Pittman might have already had his best season as HC. It's at home, so it feels like a game UF should win.

-LSU: ?. I think LSU is getting way more credit for last season's performance than they should. If you guys have the talent you think you have, this is another game in which it is hard to believe that it's closer to a sure loss than a toss-up.

-@Mizzou: ?. Missouri isn't great and Drinkwitz appears to talk much better than he coaches. That said, this is on the road, late in the season, sandwiched between two very imporant rivalry games for UF. 

-FSU: L. I think Norvell is an excellent coach and he's got a team with a ton of experience. If FSU is healthy, after the beating UF will have taken all season, FSU rolls. 

So, if UF shows up big against the question marks, Napier gets an extension. If UF is just kind of there this year, 5-7/6-6/7-5 seems probable. Shit the bed early and often and there are a lot games that could be easily lost, taking UF to 4-8/3-9. It will be fun to watch as a CFB fan. I'm sticking with 5-7/6-6/7-5 as a prediction, but not feeling like a losing record is that certain.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, if UF shows up big against the question marks, Napier gets an extension. If UF is just kind of there this year, 5-7/6-6/7-5 seems probable. Shit the bed early and often and there are a lot games that could be easily lost, taking UF to 4-8/3-9. It will be fun to watch as a CFB fan. I'm sticking with 5-7/6-6/7-5 as a prediction, but not feeling like a losing record is that certain.

Good writeup overall about the toss up.

Only thing, I'm not sure this year is an extension year for Napier. To me, you only really need to give a "vote of confidence" extension if they are under 4 years left. He's got an 85% guaranteed contract through 2008.

Edited by gatormarc

On 7/19/2023 at 8:45 PM, LTtxfan said:

Florida Head Coach Billy Napier Previews the 2023 Gators Season from the 2023 SEC Media Days

Well, he did a great job of talking for 30 minutes without really saying anything controversial or showing any emotion. 

Bud Elliott talked about Florida's OL depth issues on yesterday's Cover 3 pod. He has a pretty good understanding of most schools, but doesn't always nail everything down 100% like someone who actually follows the specific team would be able to do, so take it with a small grain of salt

- Lost several contributors to the portal in the offseason- Braun to Arkansas, Tarquin to USC to be their starting LT, and White to USC. 

-Kam Waites tears his Achilles 

- Mazzccua transfers in from Baylor has a shoulder injury and is up in the air for the season

- Kiyaunta Goodwin, the former 5* OL transfer from Kentucky who was expected to start, is no longer with the team and is attempting to get a waiver to play right away elsewhere

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Bud Elliott talked about Florida's OL depth issues on yesterday's Cover 3 pod. He has a pretty good understanding of most schools, but doesn't always nail everything down 100% like someone who actually follows the specific team would be able to do, so take it with a small grain of salt

- Lost several contributors to the portal in the offseason- Braun to Arkansas, Tarquin to USC to be their starting LT, and White to USC. 

-Kam Waites tears his Achilles 

- Mazzccua transfers in from Baylor has a shoulder injury and is up in the air for the season

- Kiyaunta Goodwin, the former 5* OL transfer from Kentucky who was expected to start, is no longer with the team and is attempting to get a waiver to play right away elsewhere

Yeah, even if you forget the schedule, their returning depth and/or experience at key positions is troubling. OL is shaky. Mertz or Miller at QB, neither instills confidence. They're stacked at TB and will have to use those guys heavily because none of the other skill roles are excellent. Pearsall is fine, but he doesn't start at Texas this year. They return 11 starters overall and rank low on any playing experience metric being touted currently. 

What happens if Terrell Mack commits to UF this summer and then they go 4-8? Even 5-7 or 6-7 is 3 losing seasons in a row. At some point, and we know this, it starts to matter to recruits in brutal ways. 

23 hours ago, Fud said:

I would assume Louisville? He's trying to move closer to home as his mom is dealing with Cancer.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:10 PM, closetojumping said:

Yeah, even if you forget the schedule, their returning depth and/or experience at key positions is troubling. OL is shaky. Mertz or Miller at QB, neither instills confidence. They're stacked at TB and will have to use those guys heavily because none of the other skill roles are excellent. Pearsall is fine, but he doesn't start at Texas this year. They return 11 starters overall and rank low on any playing experience metric being touted currently. 

What happens if Terrell Mack commits to UF this summer and then they go 4-8? Even 5-7 or 6-7 is 3 losing seasons in a row. At some point, and we know this, it starts to matter to recruits in brutal ways. 

1. Who?
  2. Everyone knows it's going to be a rough season, perhaps brutal
  3. I think NIL makes recruits more likely to stick and the Gators finally have their shit in order (fingers crossed)
  4. I think the Gata OL will be serviceable to fine...  they'll play the most boring ass football and lean on the Running game and D

Depth and talent are coming, I hope Napier can pull out a few unexpected wins, but there's 0 chance to win the EAST, SEC, or make the playoffs...  so yeah another kick in the nuts season.

50 minutes ago, locodos said:
  1. Who?
  2. Everyone knows it's going to be a rough season, perhaps brutal
  3. I think NIL makes recruits more likely to stick and the Gators finally have their shit in order (fingers crossed)
  4. I think the Gata OL will be serviceable to fine...  they'll play the most boring ass football and lean on the Running game and D

Depth and talent are coming, I hope Napier can pull out a few unexpected wins, but there's 0 chance to win the EAST, SEC, or make the playoffs...  so yeah another kick in the nuts season.

Oh come on. Wardell, Terrell, whatever. Until someone's on campus, I don't worry much about learning their names. 

I'm not sure you're where you want to be on NIL yet. Consolidating collectives and so forth isn't all there is to it. We think we have space for Mack as a priority, so there's a good shot we're about to find out how your end stacks up again, although Robinson offers a strong indicative already.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh come on. Wardell, Terrell, whatever. Until someone's on campus, I don't worry much about learning their names. 

I'm not sure you're where you want to be on NIL yet. Consolidating collectives and so forth isn't all there is to it. We think we have space for Mack as a priority, so there's a good shot we're about to find out how your end stacks up again, although Robinson offers a strong indicative already.

The post before yours was talking about linemen and then you started off talking about OL guys, I just assumed you were talking about that position group.  I hadn't heard of anyone by that name.

If you guys feel like you can buy him out right, why are you worried about the Gata on field results?  I'm not gonna play the what if game, but the Gators are in with a shot for the guy and our pockets aren't shy either.   So we'll see.

17 minutes ago, locodos said:

The post before yours was talking about linemen and then you started off talking about OL guys, I just assumed you were talking about that position group.  I hadn't heard of anyone by that name.

If you guys feel like you can buy him out right, why are you worried about the Gata on field results?  I'm not gonna play the what if game, but the Gators are in with a shot for the guy and our pockets aren't shy either.   So we'll see.

When the NIL stuff is comparable, then actual recruiting and program management matter again. Texas NIL isn't buying guys outright or doing the bidding wars thing, so if that's also not the UF approach, best man wins. Now, UF fans won't believe there wasn't a moneywhip if Texas lands him, but we've had discipline on the NIL approach across all sports and feel like that needs to be maintained for long term sustainability.

In any event, if UF has its shit together on NIL, I do agree that that will help with stickiness on the roster and in recruiting, provided the players continue to buy-in to where Napier has them going, outside of asshats like ATM or Tennessee just being really irresponsible on a target or two.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The jerseys will be worn in The Swamp when the team takes on Arkansas on Nov 4th.

Each player's nameplate will display one of five words "that are synonymous with the principles embodied by those who serve," the school's release shares.  Those words were chosen by a representative of each branch that the team is honoring, and are Commitment, Courage, Excellence, Honor and Integrity. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Florida Gators’ football program is under NCAA investigation. The investigation has been underway since at least the summer. On June 9, the NCAA sent UF President Ben Sasse a notice of inquiry. That’s a formal document enforcement staff sends to schools alerting them of the investigation before interviewing any school employees or athletes. The Tampa Bay Times requested the letter in October. The request was initially denied but fulfilled Friday after inquiries from the Times’ legal counsel at Thomas & LoCicero.

“We have been and will continue to cooperate with the NCAA,” Gators spokesperson Steve McClain said. “We hold ourselves to high standards of excellence and integrity on and off the field. Because we follow NCAA policies about maintaining confidentiality, we are unable to offer additional comments.” The specific nature of the investigation and potential violations are not specified in the document.

The Gators were last sanctioned by the NCAA in a separate case in December 2020. They received a one-year probation for recruiting violations under then-coach Dan Mullen. A Level II infraction involved Mullen and an assistant meeting with a recruit who hadn’t finished his junior year of high school. A Level III infraction centered on impermissible contact between coaches and recruits who were on their way to a tournament in Tampa.

The investigation comes as enforcement tries to keep up with the quickly evolving spaces of recruiting and name, image and likeness. Last week, Florida State was sanctioned after offensive coordinator Alex Atkins drove a transfer prospect to a meeting with a booster who led an NIL collective. That booster offered the prospect $15,000 as a recruiting inducement, according to the negotiated resolution between the NCAA and the Seminoles.

Edited by satyanash

• 1 month later...

Steve Spurrier: "There's a feeling around the Gators of 'What the heck are we doing?'"

The legendary former Florida head coach told a local newspaper he wishes the current Florida head coach was "a little more tidy" in running the program.

ZACH BARNETT         MAR 1, 2024

As the only SEC school in the nation's most talent-rich state, the Florida job has potential unlike any other in college football. For evidence, see how the Gators went from zero national titles to three in a 13-season period from 1996 to 2008. 

But, because of that potential, when things are going bad at Florida, they tend to go really bad, really fast. Will Muschamp took the Gators to the Sugar Bowl in Year 2, and was gone after Year 4. Jim McElwain won the SEC East in his first two seasons, and didn't last through his third. Dan Mullen's teams finished their first three seasons ranked No. 7, No. 6, and No. 13, and he was out before Year 4 completed.

And that brings us to Billy Napier, who it seems has yet to truly wrap his arms around the Florida job in his two seasons in Gainesville. He's 11-14 overall and 6-10 in SEC play.  

In a story in the Florida Times Union, Gene Frenette spoke to a number of stakeholders around the program, including the program patriarch. And Steve Spurrier, well, he's Steve Spurrier no matter who he's talking about. 

“There’s a feeling around the Gators of ‘what the heck are we doing?’ There’s a lot of questions that I don’t have the answers to about organization,” said Spurrier. “Just because you hire the most people doesn’t mean you’re going to win. All these extra people, I question how much that really helps."

Spurrier, of course, is referring to this.

The support staff grew from 45 under Mullen to 62 under Napier, and the Gators spent nearly $1 million more than Georgia on staffing. 

Within that staff, Napier appointed a GameChanger coordinator. He has an offensive coordinator, an associate head coach for offense, and a hand-picked successor as offensive play-caller who is not his coordinator or his assistant head coach for offense. Florida has a head coach, an assistant head coach, and an executive head coach. 

But despite investing heavily in staffing, Napier has had trouble either finding or keeping the right people. Only three of his 10 on-field assistants are have made it to Year 3 with him. This offseason, Florida has either lost or parted ways its strength coach, its director of recruiting, and its in-house NIL director. 

“Billy [Napier] is a good guy who works his tail off. I like Billy, good family man. But we do wish the organization was a little bit more tidy.” 

Read the full story here.