Florida Gators

Zeus

Seriously? That is Charlie Pell country. They are as good as anyone at moving money to players.

1) It was an unfortunately wide spread behavior back then (I’m sure the Southwest Conference was immune);

2) Perhaps the sins of 1979 Charlie are not emblematic of our recruiting practices 30-40 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

1) It was an unfortunately wide spread behavior back then (I’m sure the Southwest Conference was immune);

2) Perhaps the sins of 1979 Charlie are not emblematic of our recruiting practices 30-40 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just busting your balls. No harm no foul…. 

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Napier is worse than Sark?

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Mullen, Mcelwain and Muschamp were meh to bad recruiters at a school like Florida. 

I do wonder if Florida is similar to Texas in that they're an academic school that feels they don't need to go all in the bagman game. They're in an area where you can't survive unless you're willing to get dirty. 

UF was on probation twice between 1984 and 1990. It wasn't just Pell. 

Also, the Urban Meyer era was one of the most out of control programs in SEC history. And we all know about that history. 

I've been told by sports writers who cover football in places like Texas and Fla that any team in the top 50 of recruiting is buying guys. It is just a question of how organized and well led your program is. CUM was recruiting better than anybody at UF and we all know what type of person he was recruiting. 

In this day and age of NIL, it is hilarious to read the holier than thou stuff. When Mark Richt was at UGA, we shied away from getting in bidding wars with the Alabama's, UF's, OU's and Ohio State's of the world. We are not shying away after watching UF LSU, Ohio St and of course Alabama win multiple natties. 

UT has been winning recruiting battles over some top programs, so you guys are doing something. But for the five stars and top 3 classes, you have to be extremely good at recruiting, have elite facilities and be led by an elite coaching staff. Ark, for example, has fine facilities. But Sam Pittman and his staff are not signing a top 3 class any time soon. Neither will Gundy and all the Pickens $$$ at Ok State. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Without offering a single bit of analysis of him as a player I have a question about Anthony Richardson. Either ESPN or Fox's pregame show today said on multiple occasions that he's bigger than Cam Newton.

What am I missing? Cam is plainly a larger person than AR, who is also very big....

Yeah nah scam is 6-5 and AR is 6-4.

Still he's a big ole boy. Got to dial in the accuracy a little every pass is high he's too excited 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I know everyone says SEC teams play cupcake OOC, but this schedule is wild. Yeah there's a cupcake (aggy) in there, but the rest of the OOC and the way the conference schedule shook out is tough 2024. Georgia, Texas, LSU, Tennishit, Florida State and Miami. 

354063921_223914540492434_6716846662973318589_n.jpg

3 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Miami could have their shit together next year. Regardless, they'll be stoked to play UF.

I wonder about Miami solving anything under Cristobal. He's not a good coach, for starters. He's made some of the most laughable in-game decisions out of everyone over the past 5 years. So he doesn't have the coaching thing down, at all.

Cristobal's coaching staff doesn't look much better than he does. It's a hodgepodge of random guys that haven't really done much. The new DC has done well at smaller programs, so maybe he's a good catch. The OC does nothing for me. Will they be developing well? Last year they had 3 guys drafted, a 2nd, 5th and 7th. Oregon, the prior year, had one guy drafted, Thibodeaux. That's not the cleanest look at how someone can develop talent but it's not nothing.

As far as recruiting, Miami landed a highly rated class for 2023, but guys in the industry that know their shit think that it's a class of mercenaries with few allegiances to Miami whatsoever. We've seen how that works out when things go sideways in the season, from a distance at least. Multiple players had red flags that caused other major programs to pass on them, irrespective of star ranking.

More importantly, Cristobal's one big advantage has always been a willingness and ability to deploy the bag game. That's no longer a competitive advantage. In fact, that shit's being nuked by NIL. They're throwing money at national recruits and it's not resonating or magnetizing when those recruits are coveted but other solid recruiting staffs. 

With UF not lighting the world on fire in recruiting for 2022 and 2023, even though their 2024 class is shaping up to be big time, the 2024 Miami game needs to be at home for sure, but less because Miami is going to be worth a shit and more because Napier's off to a slow start with the regime building.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wonder about Miami solving anything under Cristobal. He's not a good coach, for starters. He's made some of the most laughable in-game decisions out of everyone over the past 5 years. So he doesn't have the coaching thing down, at all.

Cristobal's coaching staff doesn't look much better than he does. It's a hodgepodge of random guys that haven't really done much. The new DC has done well at smaller programs, so maybe he's a good catch. The OC does nothing for me. Will they be developing well? Last year they had 3 guys drafted, a 2nd, 5th and 7th. Oregon, the prior year, had one guy drafted, Thibodeaux. That's not the cleanest look at how someone can develop talent but it's not nothing.

As far as recruiting, Miami landed a highly rated class for 2023, but guys in the industry that know their shit think that it's a class of mercenaries with few allegiances to Miami whatsoever. We've seen how that works out when things go sideways in the season, from a distance at least. Multiple players had red flags that caused other major programs to pass on them, irrespective of star ranking.

More importantly, Cristobal's one big advantage has always been a willingness and ability to deploy the bag game. That's no longer a competitive advantage. In fact, that shit's being nuked by NIL. They're throwing money at national recruits and it's not resonating or magnetizing when those recruits are coveted but other solid recruiting staffs. 

With UF not lighting the world on fire in recruiting for 2022 and 2023, even though their 2024 class is shaping up to be big time, the 2024 Miami game needs to be at home for sure, but less because Miami is going to be worth a shit and more because Napier's off to a slow start with the regime building.

Gerry has mentioned that Cristobal took a huge group of recruits on their OVs a couple of weeks back and locked the doors to the facilities, dropped them off on southbeach, and told them to have fun and when to be back a couple of days later. I am not sure that kind of thing is going to fly in this day and age.  

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gerry has mentioned that Cristobal took a huge group of recruits on their OVs a couple of weeks back and locked the doors to the facilities, dropped them off on southbeach, and told them to have fun and when to be back a couple of days later. I am not sure that kind of thing is going to fly in this day and age.  

Yeah, that dovetails with my view. They're going to land certain types of big time recruits, but the guys who want to get developed and are serious about NFL aspirations aren't going to take that kind of approach very seriously.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

UCF, too. 

Gators better not sleep on them either. Playing all three P5 Florida teams in the same season was certainly ambitious. Did y'all owe FL politicians favors, or what?

Just luck of the draw. We've been scheduling Miami a couple of times per decade once they went to the 12 game schedule. This 2 game series was announced back in 2019 just before we played them in Orlando.

UCF had been trying to get us back on the schedule for awhile but there was a lot of sniping back and forth.

They actually bailed the last time we were supposed to play in 2007. We had just curb stomped them the year before and they skipped out on the game, and ended up scheduling Texas to fill the gap at their new stadium.

Then the UCF AD refused to play Florida unless it was a home and home. He went so far as to make some wild claims about UF demanding they play in the Citrus Bowl. Sunshine act showed that it was total bullshit, he ran off to Tennessee, leaving a lot of holes in UCF's schedule to be filled. The new AD pretty quickly agreed to a 3 game series with UF but it's spread out over a decade.

2024 in Gainesville
2030 in Orlando
2033 in Gainesville

Stricklin has actually been going pretty crazy with the scheduling. It'll make for some great ticket sales, but challenging schedules. We've got several 11 and 12 P5 game seasons coming up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Just luck of the draw. We've been scheduling Miami a couple of times per decade once they went to the 12 game schedule. This 2 game series was announced back in 2019 just before we played them in Orlando.

UCF had been trying to get us back on the schedule for awhile but there was a lot of sniping back and forth.

They actually bailed the last time we were supposed to play in 2007. We had just curb stomped them the year before and they skipped out on the game, and ended up scheduling Texas to fill the gap at their new stadium.

Then the UCF AD refused to play Florida unless it was a home and home. He went so far as to make some wild claims about UF demanding they play in the Citrus Bowl. Sunshine act showed that it was total bullshit, he ran off to Tennessee, leaving a lot of holes in UCF's schedule to be filled. The new AD pretty quickly agreed to a 3 game series with UF but it's spread out over a decade.

2024 in Gainesville
2030 in Orlando
2033 in Gainesville

Stricklin has actually been going pretty crazy with the scheduling. It'll make for some great ticket sales, but challenging schedules. We've got several 11 and 12 P5 game seasons coming up.

Florida out here scheduling Texas OOC too before the sec merger...

Or maybe that was foreshadowing playing Bama and scheduling Florida was always also just early negotiating for joining the conference.

usatsi_17059020.jpg

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Oh, the horror of not playing an FCS school. Texas has played one in the last 25 years.

Florida schedules a cupcake, just like we play Rice..

Florida plays Georgia, LSU, and Florida State OOC every year, so don't act like they are aggy trying to dodge everything and push all their chips on the Bama game every year.

• Like 2