• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

26 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I don't think Tom is a fake person at all but damn the guy steps on his own dick way too many times during the game.  Either decisions to go for it on short down, which then he chooses a bad play with not the best personnel on the field to even attempt it.

We are not that far away, but with Tom it will always be like that, because he and his style are meant for one score games no matter if the opponent is really good or really bad.

I agree with this take. Tom would be better off if he got out of his own way. It takes a workaholic who demands excellence to succeed. It doesn't take an X's and O's guy. Tom thought he would make comfort hires in the beginning and be tough on the players. You can be a players coach or you can be tough on them. It doesn't really matter. But, yo have to be demanding of the people under you. I think Tom missed that fact. He didn't want to bring in the best. He wanted guys who made him feel good.

Traylor is interesting because he has succeeded in the past. The best indicator of future success as a leader is past success as a leader. If you interview the guy and you think that he is going to put pressure on everyone to succeed and has a strong work ethic, you strongly consider him for the position.

As a side note, every damn coach wants to bring in his own guys. Then they have to build relationships with the players. If the players liked who they had, it can easily fracture the team and set it back a few years with some disgruntled players staying, some leaving for greener pastures, etc. This staff isn't bad. Fucking evaluate them and keep the best and if you think you can do better replace those guys. Fuck it isn't that hard. Plus, as a bonus, it helps save recruiting.

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

If it's not Meyer (which appears dead), put me down for Billy Napier...maybe, I could be talked into Traylor with the right coordinators. Would also consider Joe Brady, but I think he prefers the NFL and will end up with a HC job there after this season or next. 

Did you see how Napier called the last series against App State ?  One of the dumbest coaching sequences I've ever seen.  Made Tom's decisions against Iowa State seem smart.  And yes he got away with it because the other team's kicker choked.

Traylor isn’t getting the job but at this point his case is as good as any other G5 type if you’re going to go that route. For as good of a coach as Fickell is, Traylor’s Texas roots and recruiting make him intriguing. It’s a gamble no doubt but you can make the case.

I’m very much in the “If you’re going to do it, do it now” camp even if there isn’t a sterling option. Going into 2021 knowing going to can Herman barring something like an 11-1 season with a CFP berth is just bad for everyone and everything. No one checks all the boxes. Herman and Strong both came as close as one could reasonably expect to doing so. There’s luck involved to some extent.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Traylor isn’t getting the job but at this point his case is as good as any other G5 type if you’re going to go that route. For as good of a coach as Fickell is, Traylor’s Texas roots and recruiting make him intriguing. It’s a gamble no doubt but you can make the case.

I’m very much in the “If you’re going to do it, do it now” camp even if there isn’t a sterling option. Going into 2021 knowing going to can Herman barring something like an 11-1 season with a CFP berth is just bad for everyone and everything. No one checks all the boxes. Herman and Strong both came as close as one could reasonably expect to doing so. There’s luck involved to some extent.

It isn't luck

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why is IT trying so hard to rationalize Kubiak?

Because he's a Super Bowl winning head coach?

If he's interested you talk to him. 

Good article on Kubiak and his impact on the modern game: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/8/12/21364152/gary-kubiak-vikings-system-matt-lafleur-kevin-stefanski

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is not advocating for Traylor, but he has at least been around Texas and seen the demands on the HC for time/whatnot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Because he's a Super Bowl winning head coach?

If he's interested you talk to him. 

Good article on Kubiak and his impact on the modern game: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/8/12/21364152/gary-kubiak-vikings-system-matt-lafleur-kevin-stefanski

I'm intrigued by the prospect of Kubiak's outside zone scheme in the big 12. The defenses in this conference are not built to set and hold the edge, If implemented successfully Bijan+Roschon would rush for 2k+ next season easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

I'm intrigued by the prospect of Kubiak's outside zone scheme in the big 12. The defenses in this conference are not built to set and hold the edge, If implemented successfully Bijan+Roschon would rush for 2k+ next season easy.

Bijan could win a Heisman in Kubiak's offense.  I have no idea how the rest of the team would look - but I know that we would run the hell out of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

One knock on Herman is that he's fake.  Yet his teams always play hard.  What saith Gerry about that?

Always?  Yeah, I disagree.  They often play hard for big games and then mail it in a couple of times per year too.  

Edited by Richter

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why is IT trying so hard to rationalize Kubiak?

One of two reasons in my mind:

1.IT made up the kubiak name and is trying to make it sound as credible as possible.  Remember that time you were telling your buddies you have a girlfriend In Canada and you get callled on it?  Your next move was to hug a refundable ticket to Toronto to show your buddies?  Could be that

2 he’s a viable candidate and they’re trying to appease their sub base.   Happy posters means more money 

regarding Tom, I actually do believe he’s a very smart guy.  He has this tendency to say the right thing at the right moment so the right tone.  Listen to him speak.  His inflection changes.  I think he got in his own way and could’ve been successful here.  He has to go now though 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bijan could win a Heisman in Kubiak's offense.  I have no idea how the rest of the team would look - but I know that we would run the hell out of the ball.

Would run it well. Would get linemen drafted. A dual threat QB would be fun on all of the boots and waggles etc... Would be interested to see what coordinator he'd bring in. His son is the QBs coach at Minny, so he'd for sure be involved. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

1.IT made up the kubiak name and is trying to make it sound as credible as possible.  Remember that time you were telling your buddies you have a girlfriend In Canada and you get callled on it?  Your next move was to hug a refundable ticket to Toronto to show your buddies?  Could be that

Seems a little too detailed to be fabricated.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Would run it well. Would get linemen drafted. A dual threat QB would be fun on all of the boots and waggles etc... Would be interested to see what coordinator he'd bring in. His son is the QBs coach at Minny, so he'd for sure be involved. 

Just gave me a mackovic flashback

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

His receivers are doing very well up there

Kubiaks offenses always get receivers open. One is obviously good route combos etc..., the other is that with the OL movement off the snap, every play is designed to look like a run, so safeties and LBs bite a lot more often. 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

As he should. What is the tl:dr version 

Basically asking 'what the hell is CDC doing?'.......  'He's the highest paid AD in the country'....... ' Stop worrying about Bevo Blvd and start worrying about winning and everything else will take care of itself'......Never would've seen this under Deloss'......, etc, etc......  Came off mostly as a fan rant from a personality that just happens to have been involved with the program (cliff notes of Casey Studdard’s rant call into 104.9 The Horn Tuesday morning)

Edited by Steelers Roll Left
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Kubiaks offenses always get receivers open. One is obviously good route combos etc..., the other is that with the OL movement off the snap, every play is designed to look like a run, so safeties and LBs bite a lot more often. 

Does he do the zone blocking thing that Denver was known for?

Even though their backgrounds are totally different, the key interview questions for Campbell and Kubiak are the same for me - who will be on your staff and what is your plan for recruiting infrastructure/strategy? Luckily both of those are relatively easy to tease out.

Given his age and serious health issues, Kubiak should just be a CEO-type and coordinate the run game. Have an experienced assistant to manage the entire recruiting effort (Jeremy Pruitt as DC would be perfect for this) - literally just tell Gary where/when to show up. Then make sure someone on staff can marry Kubiak's philosophy with a high-powered college passing attack (a Joe Brady type role but obv not him. Maybe Graham Harrell as OC?). Keep in mind that Kubiak would be a short-term rental bc of age, so we need an unofficial HCIW or will be searching again soon.

Similar for Campbell. Make sure he adds someone from the outside with high-powered recruiting experience to build out that infrastructure. He'll want to bring some assistants but it would be a red flag if he just wants all his ISU/Toledo buddies. I do wonder if his culture would work here, but ultimately I think his culture is just about being disciplined and working hard. The storyline around that changes (no longer underdog) but the principles would still be effective. Every coach has to go through that transition when moving from small schools to the big time. Herman's teams didn't have that discipline at UH - just an upset mentality in big games. There's a difference. Other nice thing about Campbell is his youth. If he works out, he could be the face of the program for 20 years.

As someone mentioned above, the good thing about both these guys is their salary could probably only be like $5-6mm, so you can give them a huge war chest for staff.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, zone blocking is ubiquitous now, everyone does it to some extent. But yes, Kubiak was Mike Shanahan’s OC in Denver for ten years.

Sure everyone does it, but to the extent Kubiak's offenses do? And in college? Nah, you'll see it mixed with power etc..., but all out, not many people do that. 

Kubiak pros- 

• would hire the right OL coach and fix the OL
  • we could run the ball well
  • he is by all accounts a pretty dang good guy
  • he has a lot of high level experience

Kubiak cons-

• tons of experience but all NFL
  • an older NFL guy, has a Mike Shermanesque feel to the hire
  • can he recruit?
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry likes most of the candidates, I think he's said that Napier, Traylor, Kubiak and Campbell would all do well - though I think he said he sees Campbell staying in the midwest.

He said if it were up to him, he'd hire Traylor.  I'm not there yet, but is Jeff underqualified compared to when Stoops and Riley were hired?

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

A little more from Gerry - this time on Traylor:

I get it. I just don't see the UT brass getting it.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I don't think Tom is a fake person at all but damn the guy steps on his own dick way too many times during the game.  Either decisions to go for it on short down, which then he chooses a bad play with not the best personnel on the field to even attempt it.

We are not that far away, but with Tom it will always be like that, because he and his style are meant for one score games no matter if the opponent is really good or really bad.

Tom is a fake piece of shit. Gerry is effectively telling you that with what he wrote about other guys. He and the other IT guys and Burton all deal with Herman (or any UT HC) in some capacity, as well as players and recruits. These guys know what people are saying about the head man and they see it themselves. Herman is all for show. No substance. Pure narcissist.

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

If it's not Meyer (which appears dead), put me down for Billy Napier...maybe, I could be talked into Traylor with the right coordinators. Would also consider Joe Brady, but I think he prefers the NFL and will end up with a HC job there after this season or next. 

Brady isn't ready. He flunked the SoCar interview badly and both he and the SC people knew it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry likes most of the candidates, I think he's said that Napier, Traylor, Kubiak and Campbell would all do well - though I think he said he sees Campbell staying in the midwest.

Yah, I'm never leaving the gulf coast of Texas myself.

Them: "Hey Buck here's over two times your salary with promises of more if you do well, just gotta come up North here."

Me: "HAVE THE HOT DISH READY, YAH?"

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I get it. I just don't see the UT brass getting it.

Tom is a fake piece of shit. Gerry is effectively telling you that with what he wrote about other guys. He and the other IT guys and Burton all deal with Herman (or any UT HC) in some capacity, as well as players and recruits. These guys know what people are saying about the head man and they see it themselves. Herman is all for show. No substance. Pure narcissist.

Brady isn't ready. He flunked the SoCar interview badly and both he and the SC people knew it. 

I always figured Nahlin would like Tom.  They kind of remind me of each other.

1 minute ago, burdine said:

Kubiak pros- 

Kubiak cons-

• can he recruit?

I cannot handle even the notion of this school hiring a milquetoast dipshit like Gary Kubiag. What scares me is that we might be living in The Matrix and the hiring of Kubiag at Texas is exactly what would happen in The Matrix because it hates us and wants us to be miserable. 

I don't give one fuck what Nahlin, Hamilton, or anyone else wants to rationalize about Kubiag. He'd be a laughable failure at Texas and ensures another half decade+ of our irrelevance and laughingstock status as a program. Christ.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

Kubiak pros- 

Kubiak cons-

• can he recruit?

Would add to the cons that defense can be a blindspot with so much offensive focus. But that's when he was calling the plays. Hopefully he can delegate more at this age, but the guy is a play-caller, that's what he does. 

With Houston he was always conservative, annoyingly so. I think he loosened up a bit in Denver, though. Not that he completely changed or anything. 

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, I'm never leaving the gulf coast of Texas myself.

Them: "Hey Buck here's over two times your salary with promises of more if you do well, just gotta come up North here."

Me: "HAVE THE HOT DISH READY, YAH?"

I've lived in five different regions the last 7 years.  Moved for promotions and income.  I'd do it again and I suspect Matt would too. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There would absolutely be growing pains, but he's one of the few candidates with real growth potential beyond what he is right now. I think Napier has already gone through those for the most part and is probably ready for a bigger job, but this is all guesswork for me because none of these guys have ever been in my kitchen.