Formula 1 2021

wood

11 hours ago, wood said:

F1's 2022 calendar plans revealed: 23 races, three 'triple-headers', shorter Monaco weekend https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/18/f1s-2022-calendar-plans-revealed-23-races-three-triple-headers-shorter-monaco-weekend/

Provisional dates for 2022 F1 calendar
Date        Country           Circuit
20 March  Bahrain    Bahrain International Circuit
27 March  Saudi Arabia   Jeddah Corniche Circuit
10 April    Australia   Albert Park
24 April    China   Shanghai International Circuit
8 May      USA     Miami International Autodrome
22 May    Spain    Circuit de Catalunya
29 May    Monaco    Monaco
12 June   Azerbaijan    Baku City Circuit
19 June   Canada    Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
3 July      Britain*    Silverstone
10 July    Austria*    Red Bull Ring
17 July    France/Italy    Paul Ricard/Imola
31 July    Hungary    Hungaroring
28 August       Belgium   Spa-Francorchamps
4 September   Netherlands   Zandvoort
11 September Italy    Monza
25 September Russia    Sochi Autodrom
2 October    Singapore/Turkey    Singapore/Istanbul Park
9 October    Japan    Suzuka
23 October  USA    Circuit of the Americas
30 October  Mexico    Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
13 November Brazil    Interlagos
20 November Abu Dhabi    Yas Marina

Didn’t Seidl and some other teams just come out and publicly say no more triple headers? haha. Time to learn wheat Liberty actually cares about. 

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
43 minutes ago, wood said:
And Barrichello came this close, too...

I was a casual teenage fan back then, but were the new regs the cause of the issues at Imola, or was it something else?

No idea. I don't know much about the back story leading up to that race. I was aware of F1 at that time & would watch the occasional race if I found one on, but that was before I started really paying attention. That was also my academy & probationary year in AFD, so I was always studying.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Funny story about Senna that I had somehow never heard before. Wife and I have been going through some old races on F1TV and Murray Walker, before the start of the 1993 Australian Grand Prix, drops in a nugget about Senna punching Eddie Irvine in Japan, which was the previous race.

This was Irvine’s debut and he pulled some shenanigans while in close contact with Senna and Damon Hill, which Senna did not approve of and, being Senna and a triple world champion, he was fuming. He bitches to the press but is ready to let it go until Gerhard Berger gets him drunk on schnapps and convinces him to have an airing of grievances. Senna rolls up to the Jordan area and is having trouble finding the new guy until Irvine says, “Here I am.” Words ensued and then Senna gives Irvine a left hook to the side of his head and sends him sprawling.

Stewards had already gone home. No further action. The end.

Senna, the doc, has rewatchability. I don’t really know what it is, maybe the capturing of an era of Formula 1 that I can’t comprehend. Maybe the production. You know the tragedy is coming but it’s so fun to watch until that point.

With Schumacher, the journalism and documentation is probably a little better but it’s also a little subdued and even depressing. Perhaps because there is no closure yet. If he was whole and sitting for current interviews or if he was dead and had achieved that special memory status, the perspective probably changes. As it is, you know he’s breathing and awake and at least active enough to do therapy and it’s just awful to think about. Ugh. Wear helmets, kids.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, wood said:
And Barrichello came this close, too...

I was a casual teenage fan back then, but were the new regs the cause of the issues at Imola, or was it something else?

Senna had been complaining about new regs I believe and that the cars were damned near undriveable in his opinion.  He was very outspoken about it.

Before the 1994 season, the FIA decided to ban electronic driver aids such as traction control, active suspension, launch control and ABS. There was also a change in tyre regulations; tyres were required to be narrower, which meant that they provided less grip. The idea behind these technical changes was to make racing more exciting by making the cars more difficult to drive.

Senna was worried about these changes, saying that the season would be one with "a lot of accidents." The truth was that they had made the cars more difficult to drive without really slowing them down. The cars were traveling nearly as fast as before, but were twitching and sliding more. Therefore, if there was going to be a crash, it would still be at a very high speed.

What was the mindset of Senna that final day?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Senna, the doc, has rewatchability. I don’t really know what it is, maybe the capturing of an era of Formula 1 that I can’t comprehend. Maybe the production. You know the tragedy is coming but it’s so fun to watch until that point.

With Schumacher, the journalism and documentation is probably a little better but it’s also a little subdued and even depressing. Perhaps because there is no closure yet. If he was whole and sitting for current interviews or if he was dead and had achieved that special memory status, the perspective probably changes. As it is, you know he’s breathing and awake and at least active enough to do therapy and it’s just awful to think about. Ugh. Wear helmets, kids.

From what I understand Schumacher had a helmet on the day of the accident.

From what I understand Schumacher had a helmet on the day of the accident.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/michael-schumacher-went-piste-high-speed-french-prosecutors-confirm-9045840.html

You’re right. I thought I remembered the initial reports saying off piste without a helmet but et voila.

9 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Ugh. Wear helmets, kids.

Shit like this is such a sobering reminder of the fragility of the human meat buckets.  I've done some reckless shit without helmets - tons of skiing spills, flipping endos on a mountain bike in between trees, etc - and suffered nary a scratch.  Well, maybe posting history hints otherwise... but yeah we're all just a coinflip from being permanently vegetative.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Shit like this is such a sobering reminder of the fragility of the human meat buckets.  I've done some reckless shit without helmets - tons of skiing spills, flipping endos on a mountain bike in between trees, etc - and suffered nary a scratch.  Well, maybe posting history hints otherwise... but yeah we're all just a coinflip from being permanently vegetative.

Yeah when I was learning to ski, nobody wore helmets. Then snowboarding gained popularity, and my wife (no pics) & I wanted to learn. Everyone recommended wearing a helmet because, while the injury rate is about the same as with skiing, the falls tend to be harder and more to the front or back rather than side to side, and tend to be more upper body than lower body. After getting pretty decent at snowboarding & wearing helmets that whole time, we just got used to it. Now we always wear helmets whether we ski or snowboard. Nowadays on the slopes, I'd say 90-95%+ of skiers and snowboarders wear helmets. One big impetus imho was Sonny Bono's death. After that we started seeing lots of skiers with helmets.  We've mountain biked for a long time, too, but always with helmets. Rocks and trees errrwhere.

My old fire captain snowboarded too, & was out riding one day with his kid, who was starting to get pretty good. Kid's getting faster & faster & he's trying to keep up with him one day at Ski Apache, coming from the bowl into Upper Deep Freeze. That's the last thing he remembered until his memory picks up with him being at the bottom of the mountain getting treatment, and he was wearing a helmet. It was split open. Did its job, taking that energy. I've seen people hit their helmet (head) on something and be fine, but then bitch about the shitty quality of the helmet because it was damaged by the impact. LOL. People are stupid, man.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

"Therapy" takes many forms. It could be entirely passive, with someone moving his joints to make sure they don't stiffen. The Schumacher documentary is unsettling in the sense that it is not really an investigative documentary of any sort. Clearly his family will not take part in anything like that. So much like MJ's piece, you know what you are watching has been carefully cultivated, but of course this has the added spectre of an unexplained, poorly understood tragedy. To each his own, but I am definitely in the camp of letting people pass on to the beyond instead of hanging on to a shell of a life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Where can you stream the Senna doc?  Looks like it got pulled from Netflix.

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You can rent from all the major platforms. It’s worth the $3.

It comes and goes on Netflix and Prime, but it’s totally worth a $3 rental if you don’t want to wait. 

It delves into how upset he was with the rule changes in 1994.  The part of those changes that made no sense was narrower tires thus less grip.  You have drivers used to using assisted controls then you take that away AND make the tires narrower.  

Edited by VABuckeye

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's only Sochi, but at least there's a race this week.

I wonder in what new and exciting ways Max and Lewis will find to crash into one another?  I'm thinking we'll see a full barrel roll this week.

Odds are Max takes his engine penalty this week so we’ll probably see some good overtaking from him, but the Mercs might get an easy 1-2. Maybe Valterri and Lewis will be fighting since this is one of Bottas’s best tracks. We could get another “Vlaterri, it’s James” and see if Bottas listens since he knows he’s out after this year. I’m definitely rooting for Valterri to ignore team orders and win the race if he can. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Odds are Max takes his engine penalty this week so we’ll probably see some good overtaking from him, but the Mercs might get an easy 1-2. Maybe Valterri and Lewis will be fighting since this is one of Bottas’s best tracks. We could get another “Vlaterri, it’s James” and see if Bottas listens since he knows he’s out after this year. I’m definitely rooting for Valterri to ignore team orders and win the race if he can. 

Or Red Bull could pull a Mercedes and have Checo crash out both Valterri and Lewis.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm rooting for Valterri to step up & fight, too, but I'm not holding my breath. IMHO he's known for quite a long time that he's not going to be at Merc in 2022, and he hasn't changed much. Not sure it makes much difference though. He's quick over a lap, but just tends to lack race pace & is outclassed quite often wheel to wheel, even by guys in lesser cars.

39 minutes ago, wood said:

I'm rooting for Valterri to step up & fight, too, but I'm not holding my breath. IMHO he's known for quite a long time that he's not going to be at Merc in 2022, and he hasn't changed much. Not sure it makes much difference though. He's quick over a lap, but just tends to lack race pace & is outclassed quite often wheel to wheel, even by guys in lesser cars.

Agreed. I don’t expect it to happen, but a repeat of Sochi 2017 but this time he refuses to let Lewis past would be highly entertaining, especially since Max likely won’t be a factor for the win this time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So first grand prix is Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (not F1 I know).  I live in Naples so I am thinking of going.  Miami F1 race is May 8th but I will probably be in Spain.

But, but, but!  The Spanish Grand Prix is May 22 and I will still be in Spain.  So, I'm thinking to plan our itinerary around that.

Just finished S2E1 of Fernando. Very interesting look not just at Alonso's preparations, but it was also a nice, seldom-seen peek behind the scenes at Indy. It was weird watching him and Helio talking, standing in exactly the same spot my boys and I stood in 2019, just taking in the pre-race spectacle. 

It was also interesting to see just how much time they lost in the pits on just that one stop. I know that was edited longer for dramatic effect, but it was still a lot of time. Until now, I'd had no idea they had lost that much. And there were a couple of other stops where they lost time over that issue as well, iirc. Listening to him talk, you can tell he knows it was far from ideal, and knows he can still go a lot quicker. It seems  a lot like he'd relish an opportunity to return and give it another go or 2, imho. And the crew & engineers also seemed quite eager to have him back as well...

Edited by wood

Interesting. Laurent Rossi thinks (like a lot of fans thought) that it would have been better for Alpine to run an evolution of the '22 engine for the '21 season.  Obviously, this was a decision made with Cyril at the helm. Could be one reason behind his firing.

AMuS: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/laurent-rossi-alpine-chef-interview-2021/

In other news, Martin Whitmarsh is back

www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/news/announcement/martin-whitmarsh-announced-as-group-chief-executive-officer-of-aston-martin

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

Interesting. Laurent Rossi thinks (like a lot of fans thought) that it would have been better for Alpine to run an evolution of the '22 engine for the '21 season.

Wonder if it's slimmer than the '21 engine. That engine cover is chonky.

image.png.a612d678cedb199437422df506b60336.png

5 minutes ago, faps said:

Wonder if it's slimmer than the '21 engine. That engine cover is chonky.

image.png.a612d678cedb199437422df506b60336.png

According to everything I'm reading, yes, the 2022 PU is smaller and on par with the others now in terms of size. The chunky airbox was the result of staying with the old-ass PU and moving the cooling components to improve aero. That raised the CoG, but according to Alpine the aero gains were greater than what they lost in CoG. That's how critical aero is on these cars - that teams are willing to significantly raise CoG for aero gains. Hopefully that changes next year.

Edited by wood

There's a rumor that the W series Mexico round will be cancelled. I wonder if that will affect the COTA round as well. Mexico is also cancelling their Fan Zone for this year. I get the feeling that Mexico City is cancelling what they need to cancel in order to make sure the F1 GP happens. Makes no sense to cancel F1 there if they don't cancel COTA and Brazil. The US has almost 5 times as many infections per million as Mexico does. Brazil has 4x Mexico.

https://drivetribe.com/p/w-series-to-cancel-mexico-gp-event-SYlam5VXTVSstIROKkJyiw?iid=XG0vLGsHSr2ljO0fhjmLzQ

https://www.reforma.com/aplicacioneslibre/preacceso/articulo/default.aspx?__rval=1&urlredirect=https://www.reforma.com/cancelan-fanzone-del-gran-premio-de-la-cdmx-2021/ar2261937?referer=--7d616165662f3a3a6262623b727a7a7279703b767a783a--

• Like 1