Formula 1 2021

wood

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

One of my favorite interviews in all my years covering racing was with Emerson Fittipaldi. He just oozed cool. I'll never forget what he said to me at the conclusion of the interview.

"Chow, baby."

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

My Italian grandmother wants to slap you across the back of your head.

Well since he is Brazilian, he actually said  “adeus bebê“

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Born to an Italian/Brazilian father and I think a Polish or Russian mother he could have said a lot of things.

But, he said, Ciao (😜), baby.

He was really cool. A friend of mine, an older woman whose family I got to know well through racing, was a scorer at the Indy 500 back when it was done by hand and she said Fittipaldi was always one of the nicest guys you'd want to meet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dang, RB did ask if Perez should give position back and didn’t hear anything back.

Then it probably got messy when Bottas passed Carlos and they just slapped 5 seconds.

Trash. But dumb on RB to not give the position back right then and there when it happened.
They knew they should have given it back. That's on them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Born to an Italian/Brazilian father and I think a Polish or Russian mother he could have said a lot of things.

But, he said, Ciao (😜), baby.

He was really cool. A friend of mine, an older woman whose family I got to know well through racing, was a scorer at the Indy 500 back when it was done by hand and she said Fittipaldi was always one of the nicest guys you'd want to meet.

I met him briefly at the 'Senna' world premier at the Paramount. Very cool guy. I'm at the bar getting a drink before the show. I turn around & standing right behind me in line are Emo, Bernie, Mario, and John Watson. You couldn't walk 3 steps without bumping into F1 royalty. That was an amazing night.

• Hook 'Em 4

My personal opinion of Verstappen is he is a piece of crap just like his dad was. I've genuinely tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but the evidence is just overwhelming.
I think he's still young and has some more growing up to do. He's a hell of a driver and seems like a decent enough guy away from the track. He needs to pick his spots better. Not every corner is worth jeopardizing your race.
  • Hook 'Em 1

BTW the real cause of that crash, as Brundle was alluding to, was the orange sausage kerb. If that's not there, they likely race out of the turn side by side, and Lewis probably pulls back ahead with better power.

We agree for once. Max was turning and Hamilton was starting to come out of the turn and the curb shot Max sideways.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do agree with this, but his radio was pretty bad too.

Something like “that’s what he gets for not leaving room”. Oh so he “deserves” it for doing the same thing you do to everyone else every time, and for which the stewards ruled that you were actually in the wrong on this incident for?

giphy.gif

I know this shouldn't be the real reason, but I wonder if the combination of the radio from Max and the close call with the halo kind of tweaked the stewards a little too.  I'm not a racing expert at all, so I don't really know if Max was fully alongside (they said he wasn't at the critical moment) Hamilton.  I leave all that to smarter people than I about the sport, I'm a casual...

16 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I know this shouldn't be the real reason, but I wonder if the combination of the radio from Max and the close call with the halo kind of tweaked the stewards a little too.  I'm not a racing expert at all, so I don't really know if Max was fully alongside (they said he wasn't at the critical moment) Hamilton.  I leave all that to smarter people than I about the sport, I'm a casual...

By rule he was more than enough alongside to be considered alongside. Some of you know I've never liked drivers being able to run the other guy off on exit, & some of the older drivers don't like it either, but F1 & the FIA have allowed it to continue - to the point of now penalizing a driver who's alongside for not letting the other guy force him off.

Put it this way: Had Lewis stuck to his line on lap 1 and a collision had occurred because Max didn't give him room, then I don't see how a penalty on Lewis could have been justified, just as Max's penalty is not justified. It should be a racing incident, imho, just as I and every F1 pundit I've seen so far has said (all Brits).

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

I mean, we've seen that every race for decades. That's just hard racing. Gimme a fucking break. The whole point of braking late is to claim a piece of tarmac & is one of the most common ways to pass, outside of bullshit DRS passing. If braking late is somehow 'dirty' or a 'bad habit', then you could say that about all kinds of moves. Most of these guys & other guys for decades got to F1 by being great late brakers in the first place.

It’s a great way to gain some ground you probably shouldn’t have had. But, when you do it you have to take your medicine if there is not room to maneuver and either back out or bail out. That’s the risk you take when you do it.

He chooses to late brake and then not bail or back out and bitch that there was no room. 

• Like 1

In this case, the stewards ruled that he made the move too late (i.e, braked later than normal just to try to lay claim to the “alongside” thing), which is basically what ATXracer said in his comment.

The line Max was on likely would have either made contact with or run Lewis into the gravel on corner exit anyway (he is still steering to the right until his wing is at the orange kerb).

9c38af7ea944d02929c3635e25af43e9.jpg

Because the stewards ruled that he already didn’t have the “right to racing room” at this point, it would’ve been a penalty pretty much no matter what, going by their ruling.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

It’s a great way to gain some ground you probably shouldn’t have had. But, when you do it you have to take your medicine if there is not room to maneuver and either back out or bail out. That’s the risk you take when you do it.

He chooses to late brake and then not bail or back out and bitch that there was no room. 

Like I said before, had Lewis stuck to his line on lap 1 and contact had occurred because Max didn't leave enough room, there would be ZERO way to justify a penalty on Lewis ... and I guarantee every Lewis fanboi on the planet would be burning up the internet over it had such a penalty been applied.

This bit you're on about re: late braking, however, is one of the more stupid takes I've ever seen re: racing in general and F1 in particular. Late braking is not just acceptable and legal, the drivers who are best at it are revered for it. And it's not just "a great way to gain some ground you probably shouldn’t have had". In F1, the differences are often so small, even for faster cars, that sometimes it's the only way you're gonna make the pass. GTFO with that stupid shit. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well-said.

1 hour ago, wood said:

This bit you're on about re: late braking, however, is one of the more stupid takes I've ever seen re: racing in general and F1 in particular. Late braking is not just acceptable and legal, the drivers who are best at it are revered for it. And it's not just "a great way to gain some ground you probably shouldn’t have had". In F1, the differences are often so small, even for faster cars, that sometimes it's the only way you're gonna make the pass. GTFO with that stupid shit. 

The stewards, and I, seem to disagree with you.  Life will move on. 

21 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

The stewards, and I, seem to disagree with you.  Life will move on. 

Wow. Great response, lol. And? The stewards have proven to be dumbasses time and time again. So, if Lewis had done the same on L1, merely trying to negotiate the turn on-track while alongside, you would think he deserved a penalty?

If a penalty really should have been given here, it should have been on Max on Lap 1, for forcing Lewis off. But that's the bullshit being pulled by practically every driver nowadays, and they keep ignoring it.

Edited by wood

However, I don’t disagree it’s a skill and a very common way to pass.  But, it comes with risks presented today. Looks like the stewards and I view it that if you try it, you better bail or back off if there is not room. 

I’ve tried it hundreds of times irl and that’s the rule I use.  Sometimes I back out, sometime I bail out. Sometimes I sneak in because they didn’t close the door. Sometimes I can hold the outside line. But, it’s on me if there is not room. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

seems like a decent enough guy away from the track. your race.

Yeah I'm saying I don't think he is. His dad definitely isn't.

1 hour ago, Kdub said:

fuck the Dutch 

This is a non zero part of it as well.

27 minutes ago, wood said:

The stewards have proven to be dumbasses time and time again.

Clearly we all should be listening to internet posters who are clearly the font of wisdom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

That cracked me up. Good work! 

Brazilian Portuguese = "tchau," same pronunciation as "ciao." "Adeus" is not quite as common; it has more of a formal "farewell" connotation.

Of course, being a Brazilian of Italian descent, Fittipaldi could have gone with either "tchau" or "ciao" and PittsburghTiger would have heard the same thing. Except "chow." Definitely not "chow." 😂😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, G650 said:

Clearly we all should be listening to internet posters who are clearly the font of wisdom.

Listen to whomever you want to, of course. There are many internet posters (not me) & others who demonstrate far greater knowledge and deeper understanding of racing dynamics & the rules than the stewards have collectively demonstrated over the decades.

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

That cracked me up. Good work! 

Brazilian Portuguese = "tchau," same pronunciation as "ciao." "Adeus" is not quite as common; it has more of a formal "farewell" connotation.

Of course, being a Brazilian of Italian descent, Fittipaldi could have gone with either "tchau" or "ciao" and PittsburghTiger would have heard the same thing. Except "chow." Definitely not "chow." 😂😉

I reckon it would have sounded the same as Chow, or Ciao, or Chao, since he was speaking to me and not writing it down. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

There's a simple solution for Red Bull. After Mercedes qualifies 1-2, Pérez just rides both of them through turn two at Sochi and serves a weak 5 place grid penalty in Turkey. You know, the Mercedes Bottas maneuver.

Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ