Formula 1 2021

wood

Mark Webber always said that Seb was on an accelerated timeframe in Formula 1 and that he'd finish up at Red Bull, have a go in the red cars, and then head for greener pastures. I don't think Seb was satisfied with his stint at Ferrari and so he's hung on a little longer but he was never going to be Freddy or Kimi in terms of tenure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Haas is getting upwards of $20m/yr from Mazepin’s daddy

Sure, but they also have the worst driver on the grid by a longshot, and he's also an entitled prick.  Nobody would be sad to see him leave except him and his dad.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Haas is getting upwards of $20m/yr from Mazepin’s daddy

sure, but they are also the laughingstock of F1 and have being involved with Uralkali limits them with other options for sponsorship.

only reason to keep Mazepin around is if you are selling the team, which obviously he isn't interested in if Andretti went elsewhere.

looking into it, they signed Mazepin to a "multi year deal" so he was locked in for next year already making this whole convo moot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

sure, but they are also the laughingstock of F1 and have being involved with Uralkali limits them with other options for sponsorship.

only reason to keep Mazepin around is if you are selling the team, which obviously he isn't interested in if Andretti went elsewhere.

looking into it, they signed Mazepin to a "multi year deal" so he was locked in for next year already making this whole convo moot.

I don't know if Haas is interested in selling, but I think he is. The reason I was told that Andretti barely even looked at Haas, is because there's so little value there (infrastructure, IP, hardware, facilities, employees, etc, etc) compared to a Sauber or Williams or Alpha Tauri. I was also told that he felt out RBR first re: AT but they don't wanna sell, and that what pushed him toward Sauber over Williams is Andretti's personal relationship with Finn Rausing, at Longbow. Please do not share on any major SM outlets or boards. Don't wanna get my source jacked up.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, wood said:

I don't know if Haas is interested in selling, but I think he is. The reason I was told that Andretti barely even looked at Haas, is because there's so little value there (infrastructure, IP, hardware, facilities, employees, etc, etc) compared to a Sauber or Williams or Alpha Tauri. I was also told that he felt out RBR first re: AT but they don't wanna sell, and that what pushed him toward Sauber over Williams is Andretti's personal relationship with Finn Rausing, at Longbow. Please do not share on any major SM outlets or boards. Don't wanna get my source jacked up.

not sharing anywhere but that rational makes perfect sense. thanks for sharing

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Just realized that this week is a sprint race format and quali is today, not a fan of this format tbh.

20 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I'm less than gruntled with it, too.

I don’t understand why. It’s another event in the weekend that has consequences. Would you rather watch another practice session?

20 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t understand why. It’s another event in the weekend that has consequences. Would you rather watch another practice session?

I like the current format & don't think this format adds to it. I think it helps my favorite drivers more than it will hurt them as they're good starters, but once the start of the sprint is complete, imho the cars will tend to just get in line the rest of the way, the way they did on the first sprint. It's possible that the other way that they're talking about trying later might be better - with a standalone sprint race that would not change the grid. But imho the current format is great as is. Another drawback of the sprint format is that it renders FP3 almost useless. JMHO...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

they are absolutely going to have a bad wreck with all of these backing up to get the last lap in for quali with someone going full speed on a flying lap into the back of someone at a full stop.

Seems easily fixed if you keep everyone above a certain delta. If everyone has to do it, then nursing the tires on the outlap won't matter.

Someone is definitely going to go flying if a Mazepin pulls into their path. 

Damon Hill said they got rid of quali tires back in the 90's for this same issue.

5 hours ago, wood said:

I like the current format & don't think this format adds to it. I think it helps my favorite drivers more than it will hurt them as they're good starters, but once the start of the sprint is complete, imho the cars will tend to just get in line the rest of the way, the way they did on the first sprint. It's possible that the other way that they're talking about trying later might be better - with a standalone sprint race that would not change the grid. But imho the current format is great as is. Another drawback of the sprint format is that it renders FP3 almost useless. JMHO...

There is no more FP3, right?  Just FP1, FP2, quali and the sprint.

Fun qualifying. Nice to see Gio and Bottas have a good day. Lando and Danny were both quick.  Max with a great lap. 

Stand alone idea makes sense, but so far the sprint format is much more entertaining for me with each day of the weekend having real consequences. I like and do watch normal P1&2 but I can’t deny having P1 and qualifying on Friday feels like an “event”. I’m sure the longer term fans and traditionalist would disagree. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Fun qualifying. Nice to see Gio and Bottas have a good day. Lando and Danny were both quick.  Max with a great lap. 

Stand alone idea makes sense, but so far the sprint format is much more entertaining for me with each day of the weekend having real consequences. I like and do watch normal P1&2 but I can’t deny having P1 and qualifying on Friday feels like an “event”. I’m sure the longer term fans and traditionalist would disagree. 
Love seeing McLaren doing what they are doing. I want to see Danny beat Lando at least once this year.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Love seeing McLaren doing what they are doing. I want to see Danny beat Lando at least once this year.

He technically did in the 3 lap nonsense.

I've been watching this with interest.  I'm not dialed in like most of you guys are, but my sense is Lando is super focused on being considered the number 1 McLaren driver. I noticed in Drive to Survive he seemed insecure about being considered number 2 behind Sainz, and really wanting to be considered on even terms with him.  Danny comes in and - again, just my guess - he said fuck this, I'm going to be the guy here.  In some races it seems like his only focus is getting ahead of Danny.

I really like both of them, pulling for both.  Interesting dynamic between 'teammates' in this sport. Nothing of the sort.

I've been watching this with interest.  I'm not dialed in like most of you guys are, but my sense is Lando is super focused on being considered the number 1 McLaren driver. I noticed in Drive to Survive he seemed insecure about being considered number 2 behind Sainz, and really wanting to be considered on even terms with him.  Danny comes in and - again, just my guess - he said fuck this, I'm going to be the guy here.  In some races it seems like his only focus is getting ahead of Danny.
I really like both of them, pulling for both.  Interesting dynamic between 'teammates' in this sport. Nothing of the sort.
I don't count Spa. Lando was running at the front of the pack there before he binned it. I want Danny to beat him straight up. He was .006 seconds from that today. And only .029 off Max for 3rd.

https://wtf1.com/post/daniel-ricciardo-says-he-felt-pure-rage-in-the-car-during-monza-qualifying/

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't count Spa. Lando was running at the front of the pack there before he binned it. I want Danny to beat him straight up. He was .006 seconds from that today. And only .029 off Max for 3rd.

https://wtf1.com/post/daniel-ricciardo-says-he-felt-pure-rage-in-the-car-during-monza-qualifying/

I'm with you. Young guns are hungry, bringing the heat. More rage and pace Danny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Job #1 is beating your teammate. 

I'm sure Lando is trying to be the #1, but then so is everyone else, whether that's a realistic goal or not. He's been pretty fantastic so far this season, imho.

• Like 1

I don't follow as much as most here -- but I was curious what people thought of Russell next year.  Will the team let him really race or is he kind of going to be a #2 there?  I'm not too caught up on the sport (got in it for family interest in it basically) but enjoying it now casually.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't think I've ever seen Bottas smile more than he did after qualy today.  

I can't wait for the next time the team asks him to move over and let Lewis past.  That will be some fun.

“James, this is Valtteri. Fuck off.”

It almost looked like a weight had been lifted from him. His quali lap was a statement to the team. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, UTDD said:

I don't follow as much as most here -- but I was curious what people thought of Russell next year.  Will the team let him really race or is he kind of going to be a #2 there?  I'm not too caught up on the sport (got in it for family interest in it basically) but enjoying it now casually.

They will definitely make him ride second to Hamilton as long as Hamilton is with Mercedes.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, XYZ said:
Fucking Pérez needs to start doing better on Saturdays.

I'm surprised they gave him another year. He's been disappointing this year.

They gotta give a guy more than a year (or part of a year) at some point. At least try for something resembling stability. Unless there's "the next big thing" available, not sure who they can plug in and start getting podiums right away.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

They gotta give a guy more than a year (or part of a year) at some point. At least try for something resembling stability. Unless there's "the next big thing" available, not sure who they can plug in and start getting podiums right away.

Agree. The rules are a little crazy when you realize how little they are able to actually drive their own damn car. 

Very interesting idea here from Fernando. 

Alonso suggests return of one-shot qualifying to help F1 sprint races https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-suggests-return-of-one-shot-qualifying-to-help-f1-sprint-races/6665490/

Alonso felt the real issue leading to a lack of action in sprint races was the starting order of the cars, pointing to Friday's qualifying session as a place where a shake-up should take place.

"I still think that Friday is the really point that we need to improve," Alonso said.

"If qualifying is still six sets of tyres, we will eventually finish in the natural order of the performance of the cars. So in Saturday sprint race, we will start in our position, [and] we will finish in our position.

"While if the format in qualifying on Friday is a little bit different, just one lap or something… for example yesterday in Q2, I locked up the front tyres into Turn 1, and with that lap, I would start last today, because I made a mistake.

"I will pay the price, start last, and maybe today I have a hard job to do. There is a sense of the sprint qualifying. It will be more spicy.

"I still think the same [I did] after Silverstone after Monza. The Friday is the thing that we need to, if possible, change the natural order of the cars."

Alonso added that having only one lap in qualifying would "really add some difficulty" and punish drivers for making any mistakes.

F1 last used a one-lap qualifying format back in 2005 before moving to the three stage structure in 2006 that is still used to this day.

Asked by Motorsport.com if he would like to see one-shot qualifying at just sprint races or across the whole season, Alonso said both could work together on every weekend.

While he recognised that there were some circuits where sprint races wouldn't work - such as Monaco, fearing it would be "boring Saturday and boring Sunday" - he thought one lap qualifying could help bring added thrill in places to shake up the order.

"Imagine one lap in Monaco and you only have that lap," Alonso said.

"And there is track evo, or maybe there is weather. Maybe the leaders of the championship start first, and you make a mega lap, with the track evolution and you start on the first row of the grid, something like that.

"Maybe there is one weekend where you are lucky, and you can perform on something extra.

"Now, your hands are tied. Even if you have inspiration one day, if your car is the fifth fastest, you will finish ninth and 10th."

• Hook 'Em 1