Formula 1 2021

wood

I think the top-five has to have:

Schumacher, Fangio, Senna, Hamilton with the fifth spot being up for discussion - Stewart, Clark, Moss, Vettel, Hakkinen, Prost, or others.

I don't put Hamilton in the top spot. Not with the overall domination by Mercedes with just how much better the car has been than any other car. Then, with what Russell did in his one race in the car shows, to me, that the car was just way, way dominant.

I think the top-five has to have:
Schumacher, Fangio, Senna, Hamilton with the fifth spot being up for discussion - Stewart, Clark, Moss, Vettel, Hakkinen, Prost, or others.
I don't put Hamilton in the top spot. Not with the overall domination by Mercedes with just how much better the car has been than any other car. Then, with what Russell did in his one race in the car shows, to me, that the car was just way, way dominant.

Fangio switched teams nearly every year (and once even mid-season) to be in the best car. He was obviously a great driver, but he somehow is immune to that same kind of criticism.

I feel that with time more people will come around to Lewis.

Also, basing things on one race in a vacuum on a really weird simple circuit is a bold strategy.

Fangio switched teams nearly every year (and once even mid-season) to be in the best car. He was obviously a great driver, but he somehow is immune to that same kind of criticism.

Also, basing things on one race in a vacuum on a really weird simple circuit is a bold strategy.

Strangely enough, one only has to look at Lewis’s career at McLaren and his competition both internal and external to know where he stands and appreciate him as a driver. He is a complete driver over one lap, in the wet, under pressure. It’s hard to compare eras but Lewis is on Mt. Olympus, and there aren’t too many rungs left to Zeus.
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do believe you don't think that I mean that one race was the sole decider for that. But Russell came right and and damned near won.

The team has been way dominant. The spending, and results, are clear. I said Hamilton is in my top-five. It's not like I am saying he's on par with Ralf Schumacher but, I should have been more clear that my four listed in the top-five were not in any particular order. That's up to discussion.

Fangio, I think, didn't win his first championship until he was 40-years old.

• Hook 'Em 1

at the austrian gp, we went into one of those motion-simulators that cost 15 euros for like 3 minute helmet cam viewing of a lap.  half way in, some fucking doofus got motion sick and hit the emergency button.  ride stopped, we were all pushed out, and the rest of us werent allowed to resume/restart the show.  fcking scam

Edited by 52-80

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean if you are using the car argument to keep Lewis out of number one, how is Schumi even on the list?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Never underestimate the F1 administration's ability to goof up something.

They didn’t actually screw anything up. F1 Journos don’t know the rules. The race counts as long as the lead finishes two laps. The red flag just means the final positions revert back to the end of Lap 1, which is the same order here. 

Purely self-serving. He’d be singing a different tune if it was to his benefit. 
Nah, lots of drivers think this was wrong. Seb, Alonso, Lewis and Gasly have all said so. I'm sure others agree as well, those are the ones I've seen. Only Max is OK with the result, I think.

Gasly took a shot at Perez, too. Said the only thing he did today was not crashing on the formation lap.

Re: the goat tier ...  all of these guys are so good that I think attempting to rank the top several F1 drivers ever is an exercise in futility and splitting hairs. But my goat tier has to include all of these guys, off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Clark

Lauda

Stewart 

Alonso

Schumacher 

Senna (both Senna and Schumi, for me, lose some luster for the ruthlessness they brought to the track in F1)

Hamilton

Prost

Moss

Fangio

Edited by wood