Formula 1 2021

wood

GPOne: MotoGP rounds in Austin and Malaysia will likely be cancelled and replaced with Misano and Jerez.

MotoGP: Covid warning for the Austin and Sepang GPs. New calendar on its way https://www.gpone.com/en/2021/08/18/motogp/covid-warning-for-the-austin-and-sepang-gps-new-calendar-on-its-way.html#.YR0_OuOrzoF.twitter

19 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

the matrix there is no spoon GIF

Spoon is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. It's so difficult, even many F1 drivers say they're constantly adjusting through there, & rarely manage to take it the same way twice in a row.

2 minutes ago, faps said:

Suzuka is my fav track dammit. Fuck you covid.

Best, toughest track on the calendar, imho.

• Hook 'Em 1

FWIW, no 2nd GP at COTA, per a reddit guy who says he got an email from COTA today saying it's not happening:

Just FYI: as for a second COTA race, the track emailed ticket holders this morning informing them there won't be a second one. They had been judging interest on email and Instagram, but straight up said not happening.

Text from email below: Hello!

Unfortunately, COTA will not be receiving a second F1 race. Thank you for your patience while we awaited the news. We are counting down the seconds until the USGP here in just a couple of months!

If you are interested in attending other races here at the track, we do have private and shared hospitality options for the Moto GP Ocotber 1-3, 2021. Our Germani Amphitheater Tower Club tickets are on sale for a variety of different shows as well. If you are interested in learning more about those ticket opportunities, please let me know.

(note: yes they did misspell October)

I think chances of a second would have been decent if not for the current situation of rising cases.  Now, I think organizers and F1 itself, are just hoping we can get the one race in.

I was certainly interested, I'll go see F1 cars anytime they're near me.

But ultimately it's probably better.  Having TX-OU, COTA Race 1, and COTA Race 2, on back-to-back-to-back weekends, might have killed me.

According to AMuS, Indianapolis is under consideration in the Paddock to replace the cancelled Japanese GP. However, current quarantine rules could stop that from happening - unless Turkey is cancelled.

https://t.co/E7q3vMGV8s

Circuit Of The Americas And Indianapolis Under Consideration To Replace Japanese F1 Event - AutoSpies Auto News 

https://t.co/Ux7H2SFRw1

Edited by wood

14 minutes ago, faps said:

Have you ever been? I'd love to see Eau Rouge/Radillon in person.

I haven't, but I got a video once from a buddy once, shot at the base of Eau Rouge, right at the apex, cars screaming by (prior to this shitty sounding era) just a few feet away. It was amazing. When I go, that'll be the first spot I head to.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

It feels like there hasn’t been an F1 race in months. Can’t wait for this weekend, though I wish Ferrari had their new engine ready for this course. 

Also, it’s 50-60% chance of rain for the weekend, which probably means the track will be dry as a bone, but Turn 1 could be absolute chaos if it’s wet.

15 minutes ago, faps said:

Should be ok with no Sato, Grosjean or Coulthard on the grid.

Or Maldonado. 

*I contend that RoGro, while certainly to blame for many crashes, eventually developed an unfair reputation such that he was never given the benefit of the doubt for anything that involved him, even when he was simply collected. 

He's been a lot of fun to watch in IndyCar so far this year, and I'm happy that he seems to be happy there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Or Maldonado. 

*I contend that RoGro, while certainly to blame for many crashes, eventually developed an unfair reputation such that he was never given the benefit of the doubt for anything that involved him, even when he was simply collected. 

He's been a lot of fun to watch in IndyCar so far this year, and I'm happy that he seems to be happy there. 

I'm happy he's still alive, too, and in IndyCar. That last F1 crash was yet another great example of how he earned his bad reputation, though. I agree he occasionally got some blame for things he had no control over, and the guy is no doubt quick and seems like a nice guy, too, but his awareness and decision-making in crowded racing situations have always been suspect at best, imho. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’d like to be on Kemmel straight or on the back side of the circuit, like at turn 10. Something about sitting back there and watching those low storm clouds moving over the pines and thinking about the history of the region and the track itself just feels right.

Spa is definitely a top 3 circuit for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, wood said:

Just got some info re: the USGP. Looks like there will be a COTA GP, but not two. And David Emmett is reporting on Twitter that Dorna is preparing for MotoGP to come to the US...

Yeah I heard the same about MotoGP, I think it'll be a go.

It would be pretty silly to cancel right now, knowing that cases in the Austin metro area are at least starting to level off, if not drop, and that 5 weeks from now it'll likely be much lower.

1 hour ago, faps said:

Someone put down oil or did it start raining?!

So many bad wrecks at the top of the hill there lately. That recent GT3 wreck there was gnarly and of course the Hubert crash.

Yeah I saw at least 5 of those ladies spin exactly the same way at the same spot. Must've been something slick and unexpected right there. Not sure how that happens.

Edited by wood